Thoughts on...

Tell it to the world!!
Serujuunin

Thoughts on...

Post by Serujuunin » Feb 27th, '19, 11:11

So, I was thinking today that I need a bit of practice with story and character building, and given that I’ve now realized that I don’t really do anything but wrestling, I had this idea.

I thought that I would take every name from RAW, Smackdown and NXT, throw them all into a hat and pick a pair at random. And then write a program between the two.

I figured that only Red would be interested in doing this kind of exercise with me but I thought I’d throw it out there for anyone!

Big Red Machine

Re: Thoughts on...

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 27th, '19, 13:53

Sounds fun! How long should the program go for? And is this taking place in a vacuum or in the current WWE storylines in place?

I'd definitely enjoy this, and it seems up NWK's alley as well.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Feb 27th, '19, 14:18

Big Red Machine wrote: Feb 27th, '19, 13:53 Sounds fun! How long should the program go for? And is this taking place in a vacuum or in the current WWE storylines in place?

I'd definitely enjoy this, and it seems up NWK's alley as well.
I thought you might like that! I haven’t actually nailed down any “rules” like how long it should be, or how it should end (like with a baby face or a heel win, or a title change or whatever), but if you’re interested in this little game maybe we can hash out some rules. I was sort of thinking that my goal personally would be to have the least likely of the two end up on top, because it would be challenging to do that in a narratively natural and organic way. Or whomever is your favourite.

The way I do my “fantasy booking” (it mostly occurs in my head) is that I reasonably conclude the angle they’re in now and start mine fresh, but that could get a little messy with anyone else’s story that exists in the periphery so it might be better to do it in a vacuum, just from start to finish and including whomever you desire as the “supporting cast”.

I can’t reasonably decide on how long the program should go for without it feeling totally arbitrary. So I guess it can go as long as you want to get to the end of the story naturally, rather than stretching it out or cutting it short.

My intention is mostly for this to be an exercise in how to tell a story in a believable manner that feels genuine- since that’s not a thing in WWE today.

Any suggestions on “rules” or guidelines would be cool, I have no real idea of what to do with this yet haha

XIV

Post by XIV » Feb 27th, '19, 14:22

I’d have a go at this too!
Have A Nice Day!

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Feb 27th, '19, 15:57

Jinder Mahal and Curt Hawkins.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Feb 27th, '19, 17:08

I think, given wwe booking, it should be either WM to SummerSlam or all the way to WM the following year. If it's too long, I think it's fair to intro NPCs to the story.

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Feb 27th, '19, 18:01

cero2k wrote: Feb 27th, '19, 17:08 I think, given wwe booking, it should be either WM to SummerSlam or all the way to WM the following year. If it's too long, I think it's fair to intro NPCs to the story.
I like the idea of ending at WrestleMania if you’re doing a big babyface push a la Daniel Bryan. It always gives me the warm fuzzies when they make things work like that.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Feb 27th, '19, 19:56

Who the hell is Red?

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Feb 27th, '19, 20:52

KILLdozer wrote: Feb 27th, '19, 19:56 Who the hell is Red?
BRM. I just find it easier to call him Red, for whatever reason. Acronyms with no vowels are weird.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Feb 27th, '19, 21:08

Serujuunin wrote: Feb 27th, '19, 20:52
KILLdozer wrote: Feb 27th, '19, 19:56 Who the hell is Red?
BRM. I just find it easier to call him Red, for whatever reason. Acronyms with no vowels are weird.
Oh! B(Ill) R(ichards) M(Cgee)!

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 27th, '19, 22:10

KILLdozer wrote: Feb 27th, '19, 15:57 Jinder Mahal and Curt Hawkins.
That's a relatively easy one for a one or two month program.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 27th, '19, 22:11

cero2k wrote: Feb 27th, '19, 17:08 I think, given wwe booking, it should be either WM to SummerSlam or all the way to WM the following year. If it's too long, I think it's fair to intro NPCs to the story.
Both of those periods are relatively long for a program with just two guys.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Feb 27th, '19, 23:06

Big Red Machine wrote: Feb 27th, '19, 22:11
Both of those periods are relatively long for a program with just two guys.
well, that's the challenge

The reason I think we can add NPCs. if you're building Legend Killer Randy Orton vs Retiring Ric Flair, they don't need to interact until the last months. without us getting into storylines, Randy can build up killed legends and Flair can survive the if you lose, you retire, with meaningless names.

XIV

Post by XIV » Feb 27th, '19, 23:14

Somebody needs to get to drawing superstars out of a hat! Lol.

Because chances are you’re probably gonna get two midcard guys which will be easy or a challenge like a main event guy and an opener.
Have A Nice Day!

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 27th, '19, 23:34

I think a better limitation for the time would be "as long as you need to tell your story."

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » Feb 28th, '19, 08:29

Serujuunin wrote: Feb 27th, '19, 11:11 So, I was thinking today that I need a bit of practice with story and character building, and given that I’ve now realized that I don’t really do anything but wrestling, I had this idea.

I thought that I would take every name from RAW, Smackdown and NXT, throw them all into a hat and pick a pair at random. And then write a program between the two.

I figured that only Red would be interested in doing this kind of exercise with me but I thought I’d throw it out there for anyone!
I'd be down to help! Need to stretch my creative writing muscles
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Feb 28th, '19, 10:15

I was absolutely not thinking so many people would be into this! I love it.

I like the idea of starting at Summerslam and going through to WrestleMania, but that’s a really long time, and if people have a hard time getting their story to go that long I don’t want them to have to stretch it out. I was thinking it could be however long you wanted. One of my university professors said this about papers and I think it works here too. It should be like a mini skirt. Long enough to cover everything but short enough to keep people interested.

XIV

Post by XIV » Feb 28th, '19, 12:27

Serujuunin wrote: Feb 28th, '19, 10:15 I was absolutely not thinking so many people would be into this! I love it.

I like the idea of starting at Summerslam and going through to WrestleMania, but that’s a really long time, and if people have a hard time getting their story to go that long I don’t want them to have to stretch it out. I was thinking it could be however long you wanted. One of my university professors said this about papers and I think it works here too. It should be like a mini skirt. Long enough to cover everything but short enough to keep people interested.
I think BRM on this one is right... it depends on the people you're given to create the arc for. Summerslam to Wrestlemania is 5 / 6 months and that's long in the modern era if you're given Hawkins vs Harper for example.

I just think as long as the starting point is clear (Say Summerslam 2019) and it just goes as long as it goes. I'm more than happy to have my guys drawn by whoever wants to draw everyone.

Question for clarification...

If in the rare event a person is drawn say Kofi Kingston and Dash Wilder... can we turn it into a tag team angle? Just because that would make more sense.
Have A Nice Day!

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Feb 28th, '19, 14:14

XIV wrote: Feb 28th, '19, 12:27
Serujuunin wrote: Feb 28th, '19, 10:15 I was absolutely not thinking so many people would be into this! I love it.

I think BRM on this one is right... it depends on the people you're given to create the arc for. Summerslam to Wrestlemania is 5 / 6 months and that's long in the modern era if you're given Hawkins vs Harper for example.

I just think as long as the starting point is clear (Say Summerslam 2019) and it just goes as long as it goes. I'm more than happy to have my guys drawn by whoever wants to draw everyone.

Question for clarification...

If in the rare event a person is drawn say Kofi Kingston and Dash Wilder... can we turn it into a tag team angle? Just because that would make more sense.
We can start at Summerslam as a definitive beginning, I like that. Because it gives us lots of big ppv spots to do fun things with, and you can conclude it however you like. In the event you did get a scenario like Kofi and Dash I would absolutely be okay making it a tag team angle.

I would go to their website roster and take all the active superstar names and throw them in a tin, and draw them randomly.

I’m throwing the idea around of a mulligan too. I don’t know how people would feel about including a mulligan for one superstar, not both of them.

Also, it just occurred to me as I am sitting here writing this... I completely wasn’t counting the women! Oops. Any suggestions as to how we would do that?

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Feb 28th, '19, 14:17

inter-gender wrestling. it's 2019 Seru!