FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Big Red Machine

Re: Understanding ROH Within The Sinclair Universe

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 27th, '17, 10:13

An interesting read. On the one hand it increases my confidence that ROH is seen as valuable to Sinclair, but on the other hand, it has me convinced once again that Delirious needs to go. His way of managing a roster is simply not conducive to the fiscal constraints that Sinclair seems to have put upon ROH.

Going back to December I count THIRTY-EIGHT guys who appear on just about every show (if you want to take out Kyle and Dijak and replace them with Bully & the Hardys the number comes out the almost the same, plus Rush and Fish is working for them in April at least, so they could be around for longer than expected), plus a few other guys (RPG Vice, Dragon Lee, Cody, and I guess you could move Ospreay to this category) who are on a weekend at least once every two months. That's WAY too many guys in general for a promotion with a one hour TV show even without this financial restrictions (and this doesn't even take office staff, announcers, or the Women of Honor into account)... and keep in mind that this is after the unexpected departures of ACH, Matt Sydal, Keith Lee (if not Shane Taylor as well) and part-timers like Michael Elgin and Kevin Sullivan, (plus Nigel and Corino). What ROH needs to be doing is cutting guys and building around a smaller core of maybe 24 guys, and using the money saved from the others to do what they can to keep the Marty Scurlls and Adam Coles and Donovan Dijaks of the world away from WWE, TNA, and Gabe. When Pearce and Cornette would book they would book around a core of guys and use open spots on the cards to give a shot to local guys who they think had a chance to be players in ROH. When Gabe would book he would have his core of guys and then he would have a smaller core of guys for separate regions with whom he would manage small feuds to see if they got over and use them. Delirious just gobbles up a bunch of dudes and brings them all to every show, completely suffocating the cards and stretching the money too thin.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Mar 27th, '17, 10:23

Big Red Machine wrote:An interesting read. On the one hand it increases my confidence that ROH is seen as valuable to Sinclair, but on the other hand, it has me convinced once again that Delirious needs to go. His way of managing a roster is simply not conducive to the fiscal constraints that Sinclair seems to have put upon ROH.

this is a double-edge sword unfortunately, it's good that they value this property, but it's still a property in the end of the day and if this property starts losing money, or a bigger entity is willing to buy, then ROH is fucked. What i wonder is if Sinclair would remove Delirious if worse comes to worst, or if they would just get rid of the promotion altogether?

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 27th, '17, 10:46

cero2k wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:An interesting read. On the one hand it increases my confidence that ROH is seen as valuable to Sinclair, but on the other hand, it has me convinced once again that Delirious needs to go. His way of managing a roster is simply not conducive to the fiscal constraints that Sinclair seems to have put upon ROH.

this is a double-edge sword unfortunately, it's good that they value this property, but it's still a property in the end of the day and if this property starts losing money, or a bigger entity is willing to buy, then ROH is fucked. What i wonder is if Sinclair would remove Delirious if worse comes to worst, or if they would just get rid of the promotion altogether?

My assumption is that if "Sinclair" removes Delirious, the guy making the decision at the end of the day would be Joe Koff, so ROH would be safe.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Mar 27th, '17, 11:48

Big Red Machine wrote:My assumption is that if "Sinclair" removes Delirious, the guy making the decision at the end of the day would be Joe Koff, so ROH would be safe.

but if the problem is the clusterfuck booking of talent, I'm not sure how much would Koff fix things, you still need a good storyteller that doesn't need to use all these expensive guys to sell shows

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 27th, '17, 19:29

cero2k wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:My assumption is that if "Sinclair" removes Delirious, the guy making the decision at the end of the day would be Joe Koff, so ROH would be safe.

but if the problem is the clusterfuck booking of talent, I'm not sure how much would Koff fix things, you still need a good storyteller that doesn't need to use all these expensive guys to sell shows

I'm not saying Koff would take over the book. I'm saying he would hire a new booker. And the way you use the expensive guys is by cutting down the guys you're signing for no reason. The Kingdom, The Rebellion (I'd definitely keep Kenny King around, though, and only use Rhett when Kenny needs a partner) Beer City Brusier (I'd only use him when Silas needs a partner), Will Ferrara, Kazarian, Bull James, Shane Taylor, the entire Women of Honor division- these guys don't need to be working for ROH.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation