Gabe on the Joey Styles Controversy Overshadowing EVOLVE 72 Main Event

Tell it to the world!!
Big Red Machine

Gabe on the Joey Styles Controversy Overshadowing EVOLVE 72 Main Event

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 19th, '16, 21:16

https://www.facebook.com/BookItGabe/pos ... 6020537289
Gabe Sapolsky wrote:Sometimes people are wronged despite doing their best.

Last Saturday, EVOLVE Champion Timothy Thatcher and Drew Gulak put on a memorable, unique, innovative and brutal match at EVOLVE 72 in Queens, NY. We called it The Squared Circle of Survival.

This match should have generated massive amounts of buzz. They put their heart and souls into it. They sacrificed their bodies. They put their health at risk. They also created something new and different.

Instead, it was overshadowed by the controversy last week.

Tim and Drew were wronged in this situation. They gave us everything mentally, emotionally and physically that they had. They delivered. They deserve for this match to be seen and talked about.

I just re-watched the match for the first time on FloSlam.tv. I am writing this post because, as a fan, I am blown away by what I witnessed.

As a booker, I'm strongly considering never having another Squared Circle Of Survival again. I feel the same way I did after booking the 1st Ladder War with Briscoes vs. Kevin Steen & El Generico.

The Ladder War brought back a lesson from Paul Heyman. He said after the Sabu vs. Terry Funk barbed wire match that he wouldn't book another because he didn't want to put anyone in a position where they would have to risk more to try to top it. I felt the same way after the 1st Ladder War. I feel the same way now after The Squared Circle Survival.

I want to thank Drew and Tim for giving us something that set EVOLVE apart in our FloSlam debut. I need to give them my deepest gratitude for going above and beyond.

I hope you will watch it. I hope we can right this wrong for Tim and Drew.

EVOLVE 72 VOD is available to watch anytime on FloSlam.tv. Also, check out ACW and the 2 day PWX tournament LIVE this weekend on FloSlam.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Big Red Machine

Re: Gabe on the Joey Styles Controversy Overshadowing EVOLVE 72 Main Event

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 19th, '16, 21:16

Seriously, guys, the match was AMAZING.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Nov 20th, '16, 11:00

not to shit on Thatcher and Gulak, but i hate to break it to Gabe, no one ever talks about the awesome matches in EVOLVE, they're only mentioned when a WWE guy goes to do something. They're like the DG of the US (still i guess), awesome wrestlers, awesome matches, no one talks about them, the comedy promotions (chikara/ddt) get more people talking.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 20th, '16, 12:18

cero2k wrote:not to shit on Thatcher and Gulak, but i hate to break it to Gabe, no one ever talks about the awesome matches in EVOLVE, they're only mentioned when a WWE guy goes to do something. They're like the DG of the US (still i guess), awesome wrestlers, awesome matches, no one talks about them, the comedy promotions (chikara/ddt) get more people talking.
Which is a shame because they are by far the best promotion in the world in terms of storylines and unpredictability of victories and overall quality of matches. They're one of the first promotions to find or push new talented guys, they run just as often as everyone else and they're relatively cheap to follow. People SHOULD be paying attention to them. They're everything fans claim to want.
And now Thatcher and Gulak have an amazing and innovative match and Thatcher almost kills himself and a really bad concussion (that last part was according to Les Thatcher)... and no one is paying any attention to what they did. Gabe probably feels like he almost sent Thatcher to his death right now, and he'd like Thatcher to at least get something out of it.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Nov 20th, '16, 15:41

Big Red Machine wrote:
cero2k wrote:not to shit on Thatcher and Gulak, but i hate to break it to Gabe, no one ever talks about the awesome matches in EVOLVE, they're only mentioned when a WWE guy goes to do something. They're like the DG of the US (still i guess), awesome wrestlers, awesome matches, no one talks about them, the comedy promotions (chikara/ddt) get more people talking.
Which is a shame because they are by far the best promotion in the world in terms of storylines and unpredictability of victories and overall quality of matches. They're one of the first promotions to find or push new talented guys, they run just as often as everyone else and they're relatively cheap to follow. People SHOULD be paying attention to them. They're everything fans claim to want.
And now Thatcher and Gulak have an amazing and innovative match and Thatcher almost kills himself and a really bad concussion (that last part was according to Les Thatcher)... and no one is paying any attention to what they did. Gabe probably feels like he almost sent Thatcher to his death right now, and he'd like Thatcher to at least get something out of it.
it is a shame, because guys like Thatcher and Yehi and Riddle should be on people's radars beyond being on WWE's indie friend, at this point I wish they would just jump to other promotions

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 20th, '16, 15:59

cero2k wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:
it is a shame, because guys like Thatcher and Yehi and Riddle should be on people's radars beyond being on WWE's indie friend, at this point I wish they would just jump to other promotions
Which- no offense intended- is the problem attitude. If you like these guys, why not watch EVOLVE (or CZW or any of the other places where guys like this do their thing)? Saying you want to wait for them to go to a different promotion doesn't make any sense to me.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation