BJ Whitmer Seriously Injured

All ROH Related Reviews and Discussions
Big Red Machine

BJ Whitmer Seriously Injured

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 3rd, '13, 19:23

I don't have full details yet as I am trying to avoid spoilers so I can watch the VOD spoiler-free, but apparently during the Whitmer vs. Bennett match tonight, BJ took a Piledriver on the apron and they wound up stopping the show for 15 minutes while BJ was stretchered out and driven to the hospital. He wasn't moving for a while, but managed to move his fingers while being stretchered off. This is the second really scary bump on his head BJ has taken in eight months, so hopefully he is okay.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Re: BJ Whitmer Seriously Injured

Post by cero2k » Aug 3rd, '13, 20:32

found a pic, it's cringe worthy
Hidden text.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Aug 3rd, '13, 20:56

from ROH

BJ WHITMER UPDATE -- BJ is currently undergoing tests at the moment, but does have feeling and movement in his arms and legs. We'll update with more information as we receive it.

DevilWithin

Post by DevilWithin » Aug 3rd, '13, 21:53

I blame Bennett, fully. This could have and should have been avoided. You just don't do these moves if you can't protect properly. How's the classic "head between legs" piledriver formula gonna help that much on the damn apron anyways?
Don't sleep on me...cuz then you're fucked and left behind.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Aug 4th, '13, 16:43

update i found on reddit

"As a couple of places are saying now, BJ should be ok to leave the hospital soon. A friend of mine just spoke with him, and all of the feeling in his extremities has returned and he's in high spirits, very optimistic, not feeling down.

Apparently there was never any concern for complete paralysis, what happened was after the apron bump when he was down, he told the ref "I can't feel the right side of my body" which was true; someone heard that and that's how it became reported. Either way, the feeling is back, testing is still underway, but everything has just about returned to normal.

The only remaining issue is a softball sized knot on his body that's developed that hurt like hell, but I couldnt catch where it was, something about "pec" or "back". Just figured at least a few people would want to know."

also, the video
[youtube][/youtube]

DevilWithin

Post by DevilWithin » Aug 5th, '13, 00:03

He's even went on to defend Bennett, too. I've heard somethin about him being a bit out of place like his shoulders weren't low enough...But IDC. The bottom line is here , The majority of protection was riding on Bennett, and he fucked up. I just can't get over this ridiculous mistake. I almost have half a mind to say he should catch heat over this. He coulda killed the motha fuck over some carelessness and not doing things perfectly, This is why you don't do this on the apron, too, anyways. No one's perfect, no matter how good of a worker they are, and if they hadn't been on the apron...Shit might have been straight as far as the bad bump goes.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 5th, '13, 00:31

DevilWithin wrote:He's even went on to defend Bennett, too. I've heard somethin about him being a bit out of place like his shoulders weren't low enough...But IDC. The bottom line is here , The majority of protection was riding on Bennett, and he F'ed up. I just can't get over this ridiculous mistake. I almost have half a mind to say he should catch heat over this. He coulda killed the motha f**k over some carelessness and not doing things perfectly, This is why you don't do this on the apron, too, anyways. No one's perfect, no matter how good of a worker they are, and if they hadn't been on the apron...s**t might have been straight as far as the bad bump goes.
Why the hate? No one ever shat on Owen for Austin's injury.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

DevilWithin

Post by DevilWithin » Aug 5th, '13, 00:41

Big Red Machine wrote:
DevilWithin wrote:He's even went on to defend Bennett, too. I've heard somethin about him being a bit out of place like his shoulders weren't low enough...But IDC. The bottom line is here , The majority of protection was riding on Bennett, and he F'ed up. I just can't get over this ridiculous mistake. I almost have half a mind to say he should catch heat over this. He coulda killed the motha f**k over some carelessness and not doing things perfectly, This is why you don't do this on the apron, too, anyways. No one's perfect, no matter how good of a worker they are, and if they hadn't been on the apron...s**t might have been straight as far as the bad bump goes.
Why the hate? No one ever shat on Owen for Austin's injury.
Because he could have been seriously injured, or lost his life, over simple carelessness that could've and should've been avoided.

I just can't help but think that this was such an avoidable thing, that it's ridiculous it even happened. Owen wasn't on the apron, either.

My immediate reaction here when i found out he did this and didn't protect him right, was "IDIOT!".

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Aug 5th, '13, 07:07

so i'm guessing you also hate D'lo Brown?

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 5th, '13, 07:20

cero2k wrote:so i'm guessing you also hate D'lo Brown?
1) Droz has said that he didn't protect himself correctly
2) D'Lo slipped on a drink someone idiot threw into the ring

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Aug 5th, '13, 08:34

Big Red Machine wrote:
still accidents

DevilWithin

Post by DevilWithin » Aug 5th, '13, 11:27

I guess it could be part legitimate reaction, coupled with the fact I don't always easily look past accidents, simply because EVERY accident can be avoided, they happen simply because enough clear thought process wasn't taking place. Something I learned a long time ago. Kill a man for not paying attention to a red light, per say...Could've been avoided. Almost killt a man for not being careful and thoughtful enough...Could've been avoided. Basically, serious accidents just shouldn't happen. There should be preventive mental process if they they're thought over.

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » Aug 6th, '13, 12:24

Big Red Machine wrote:
#2! I had always thought D'lo screwed it up until I saw that pic of the damn bottled water or whatever it was in the ring. I thought D'lo was well on his way to being a STRONG midcarder, then that happened.

For the record, I've known of a few fans who blamed Owen for the Austin thing, but they don't really bring it up anymore. This incident with Bennet & Whitmer sucks, but I think it was just a mistake. When you have a spot that dangerous, you can't be too surprised when someone gets hurt.

This may be an optimistic way of looking at it but I think BJ'll be fine; if ANYONE can bounce back after sick bumps and injuries, it's him.....

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 6th, '13, 12:30

badnewzxl wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:
#2! I had always thought D'lo screwed it up until I saw that pic of the damn bottled water or whatever it was in the ring. I thought D'lo was well on his way to being a STRONG midcarder, then that happened.

For the record, I've known of a few fans who blamed Owen for the Austin thing, but they don't really bring it up anymore. This incident with Bennet & Whitmer sucks, but I think it was just a mistake. When you have a spot that dangerous, you can't be too surprised when someone gets hurt.

This may be an optimistic way of looking at it but I think BJ'll be fine; if ANYONE can bounce back after sick bumps and injuries, it's him.....
The scary thing is that I was there at Final Battle, and while the bump looked scary as hell, you could tell that BJ would be fine afterwards (he might have even left under his own power. I don't remember). But if he came back so quickly after that... this must have been really bad for him to need to be stretchered off.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » Aug 7th, '13, 10:35

It was a neck injury, obviously, so one would expect him to be stretchered off. I wouldn't doubt he come back in a few months....