All time Top 50 Tag Teams

Tell it to the world!!
ECWFlairfan

Re: All time Top 50 Tag Teams

Post by ECWFlairfan » Feb 9th, '11, 10:34

Rabid619 wrote:I was a HUGE London & Kendrick fan. If they hooked up again anywhere i'd kill to watch because i always found them to be exciting. Their tag title reign was very important because they beat a lot of ppl during their reign AND they looked awesome doing it.
I forgot about London & Kendrick...the first team to actually win both the WWE tag team titles...

ECWFlairfan

Post by ECWFlairfan » Feb 9th, '11, 10:36

London & Kendrick replaces DX...

ECWFlairfan

Post by ECWFlairfan » Feb 9th, '11, 10:39

Motor City machine Guns & Beer Money replace Los Guerreros & Kevin & Kerry Von Erich

ECWFlairfan

Post by ECWFlairfan » Feb 9th, '11, 10:42

Big Red Machine wrote:
ECWFlairfan wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:But it's not the "50 most well-known tag teams of all time." It is the "All-time top 50 tag teams."
touche... but how will we know how great a team is if they aren't somewhat well known at the same time? Not being disagreeable, just saying...
Workrate? Promos? Memorable moments/angles? Overall impact on the business?
Workrate is good, Promos not so much... Memorable moments/angles & overall impact means they are WELL-KNOWN... so as much as I know alot of you love ROH (I have yet to see alot of these teams yet, unfortunately)... Top 50 of ALL TIME spans almost 100 years...

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 9th, '11, 11:58

ECWFlairfan wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:
ECWFlairfan wrote:
touche... but how will we know how great a team is if they aren't somewhat well known at the same time? Not being disagreeable, just saying...
Workrate? Promos? Memorable moments/angles? Overall impact on the business?
Workrate is good, Promos not so much... Memorable moments/angles & overall impact means they are WELL-KNOWN... so as much as I know alot of you love ROH (I have yet to see alot of these teams yet, unfortunately)... Top 50 of ALL TIME spans almost 100 years...
Memorable moments doesn't mean that you are necessarily well known. Look at the Age of the Fall's debut (not making a case for them to be on the list, just talking about the stable as a whole): They destroyed two of the top guys in the company, then hung one upside down from the thing that holds the belts during ladder matches and Jimmy Jacobs cut a promo while Jay (I think it was Jay anyway) Briscoe's blood dripped down on him. If you see that... you will never forget it.

Also, impact on the business doesn't mean that you are necessarily "memorable." A perfect example of this is the Backseat Boyz, who really started the type of fast-paced, tandem offense that has made the Young Bucks and MCMG so famous.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 9th, '11, 12:02

ECWFlairfan wrote:
The problem with listing teams who are good right now is that for a while, most wrestling companies actually cared about tag team wrestling to the point that past World tag team champions, when talked about now, are called World champions (like RW Animal for example)... so in that vein there were so many great teams in the past that to be honest if I have actual knowledge of the past not many current teams would be listed, if any at all... not saying they aren't good but tag team wrestling isn't what it used to be...
100% disagree with this statement. Companies now care a LOT about tag team wrestling. TNA, ROH, PWG, Dragon Gate (& DGUSA)... hell... CHIKARA doesn't have a top singles title. The top belts in CHIKARA are their tag team titles. Companies (aside form WWE) care about tag team wrestling just as much, if not more than they used to.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

ECWFlairfan

Post by ECWFlairfan » Feb 9th, '11, 12:39

Big Red Machine wrote:
ECWFlairfan wrote:
The problem with listing teams who are good right now is that for a while, most wrestling companies actually cared about tag team wrestling to the point that past World tag team champions, when talked about now, are called World champions (like RW Animal for example)... so in that vein there were so many great teams in the past that to be honest if I have actual knowledge of the past not many current teams would be listed, if any at all... not saying they aren't good but tag team wrestling isn't what it used to be...
100% disagree with this statement. Companies now care a LOT about tag team wrestling. TNA, ROH, PWG, Dragon Gate (& DGUSA)... hell... CHIKARA doesn't have a top singles title. The top belts in CHIKARA are their tag team titles. Companies (aside form WWE) care about tag team wrestling just as much, if not more than they used to.
TNA does care more than WWE, that is obvious... if WWE had a halfway decent tag team division, I suspect that the Dudleys wouldn't have left... however going to TNA is what has enhanced their legacy by adding the NWA, TNA & IWGP tag team titles... Problem is there are very few tag teams that are making a national/worldwide impact that the teams of yesteryear did... & I honestly blame that on the lack of national promotions (WWE & TNA are the only two & one of them doesn't care about tag team wrestling) the only ones I see right now are Beer Money, Generation Me, & Motor City Machine Guns... not saying there aren't other great teams but they aren't as widely known as indie teams of yesteryear...

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 9th, '11, 12:49

ECWFlairfan wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:
ECWFlairfan wrote:
TNA does care more than WWE, that is obvious... if WWE had a halfway decent tag team division, I suspect that the Dudleys wouldn't have left... however going to TNA is what has enhanced their legacy by adding the NWA, TNA & IWGP tag team titles... Problem is there are very few tag teams that are making a national/worldwide impact that the teams of yesteryear did... & I honestly blame that on the lack of national promotions (WWE & TNA are the only two & one of them doesn't care about tag team wrestling) the only ones I see right now are Beer Money, Generation Me, & Motor City Machine Guns... not saying there aren't other great teams but they aren't as widely known as indie teams of yesteryear...
It's all in retrospect, though. How many of the old teams that you have listed do you think have had a world-wide impact?
How many of them do we know now only because they are old? How well-known do you think most of these teams were back in their prime? Especially with the territory system working the way it did, I would wager that a lot of them are no less well known than the top indy teams today, and the indy teams are known to a more regionally diverse audience.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Aggro

Post by Aggro » Feb 9th, '11, 13:10

Being from England, it only takes a few youtube/dailymotion sessions to realise that teams like The American Wolves, The Briscoes, KOW, Super Smash Brothers etc are amongst the best in the world right now, and these are from Indy promotions. Years ago, we only had television access to teams from WWF or WCW/NWA.

I can watch more wrestling now than I could 15 years ago. Therefore, I'll argue that the Briscoes, for instance, are making as much of an impact worldwide as some teams from years ago.

Cactus Jack Manson

Post by Cactus Jack Manson » Feb 9th, '11, 13:36

ECWFlairfan wrote:
Catus Jack Manson wrote:If you are basing number 2 on titles alone, then that is sad.
I said the order of teams was in no certain order... though most would agree that LOD & 3D are the undisputed 1 & 2...
Team 3D; One of the most decorated tag teams of all time? Yes. They have won more tag team titles them most tag teams put together. They used be the most hated tag team in ECW & WWE, but as far as the wrestling ability is concerned, Bubba Ray was at mid card level and Devon was a jobber at best.
R.I.P. Randy Mario Poffo, aka Randy "Macho Man" Savage
11/15/52 - 5/20/11

ECWFlairfan

Post by ECWFlairfan » Feb 9th, '11, 13:53

Catus Jack Manson wrote:Team 3D; One of the most decorated tag teams of all time? Yes. They have won more tag team titles them most tag teams put together. They used be the most hated tag team in ECW & WWE, but as far as the wrestling ability is concerned, Bubba Ray was at mid card level and Devon was a jobber at best.
And thus, clearly a case of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts... which honestly makes a great tag team if given the chance to shine...

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 9th, '11, 13:56

Catus Jack Manson wrote:
Team 3D; One of the most decorated tag teams of all time? Yes. They have won more tag team titles them most tag teams put together. They used be the most hated tag team in ECW & WWE, but as far as the wrestling ability is concerned, Bubba Ray was at mid card level and Devon was a jobber at best.
Thought Devon was better than that as a singles guy.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Cactus Jack Manson

Post by Cactus Jack Manson » Feb 9th, '11, 14:05

I just think that you be considered in an "All-Time" list, there are so many factors to consider...

1: Wrestling Ability: You have to have an impressive move set. The Dudley Boys offense is good, but it's too basic.
2: Competition Level: The ECW competition level sucked, but the passion of the wrestlers had for ECW made it look as though they were better than they were. While in the WWE, the best tag team they faced where Kane & The Undertaker. All the other tag teams during the additude era weren't the best either. This includes The Hardy's, E & C, APA, Too Cool, The New Age Outlaws, etc.
3: Match Caliber: That goes back to my last post.
4: Number of Title reigns: That goes back to my last post.
11/15/52 - 5/20/11

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 9th, '11, 14:30

Catus Jack Manson wrote:I just think that you be considered in an "All-Time" list, there are so many factors to consider...

1: Wrestling Ability: You have to have an impressive move set. The Dudley Boys offense is good, but it's too basic.
2: Competition Level: The ECW competition level sucked, but the passion of the wrestlers had for ECW made it look as though they were better than they were. While in the WWE, the best tag team they faced where Kane & The Undertaker. All the other tag teams during the additude era weren't the best either. This includes The Hardy's, E & C, APA, Too Cool, The New Age Outlaws, etc.
I disagree with this all of these points. I agree on the criteria, but I think you are way off about the Dudleys.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Cactus Jack Manson

Post by Cactus Jack Manson » Feb 9th, '11, 21:03

Big Red Machine wrote:
Catus Jack Manson wrote:I just think that you be considered in an "All-Time" list, there are so many factors to consider...

I disagree with this all of these points. I agree on the criteria, but I think you are way off about the Dudleys.
I think its more on what type of wrestling we like. I'm not saying Team 3D isn't a decent tag team, but to have them in the top 50 of all time, I beg to differ.
11/15/52 - 5/20/11

SONICdopeFRESH

Post by SONICdopeFRESH » Feb 10th, '11, 22:30

Lynas wrote: I don't think LOD & Dudleyz would be in many top 5's.
Lynas I will eat you!!! Another Bonds internet win.

But no for real, I think most, and realistically it's almost fact, will agree that LOD goes #1. The way they innovated tag team wrestling & the excitement they brung. They were a product that MCMAHON did NOT create. You have very well respected teams out there, but LOD was the foundation for it all. Their brawl & power style really was SUCH a new thing for fans to see, because at that time, most guys were smaller & didn't do as many stunts as today. Then the athleticism of both Hawk & Animal are things that werre unheard of from 280 pound bulls. You know, the 80's & 90's were a time where most guys that size were one dimensional. Heck, most wrestlers were one dimensional. While they weren't the most technical, they had so much charisma, so much style, and so much swagger in the ring, that it makes it hard for anyone to even go against saying their #1. It's almost like you gulp because you know if you don't say they're #1, that someone will rip you for saying it. Sure, guys like Bret Hart & Owen & Jim were all great. No denying that. BUT, the longevity of the group wasn't there, and they were a product of mcmahon. The LOD became the most dominant & best tag team ever, out of working their group up, and they literally had popular demand ANYWHERE they went, from Japan, to WCW, to WWF, to NWA, to AWA... Didn't matter. hell, these were the guys who couldn't even be heel because people loved them so much, so they became face by fans decision to love them. Then, they were really the only team to constantly be the main event. They sold out arenas. 50,000 people would line up to see them. NOT to be treated to the delight of having them on the card. But thousands of millions of fans would spend their hard earned money to see the rush of LOD. That, is what makes a team #1.
Booker T: "HIP BONE CONNECTED TO THE LEG BONE!!!" ...... Cole: "WHAAAAT?"

ECWFlairfan

Post by ECWFlairfan » Feb 28th, '11, 21:02

LOD is either number 1 or number 2... 3D is in contention for being #1 because of them being such a great tag team in an era where WWE is trying to de-emphasize tag team wrestling... This is why Vince hates tag team wrestling. He had NOTHING to do with the very best teams getting over... LOD, 3D, Anderson/Blanchard, Midnight Express (Eaton/Condrey, Eaton/Lane, & Condrey/Rose)... all over without the WWF machine...

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 1st, '11, 00:40

ECWFlairfan wrote:3D is in contention for being #1 because of them being such a great tag team in an era where WWE is trying to de-emphasize tag team wrestling...
Are you kidding? They had the Hardys, the Dudleys, E&C, WGTT, and dream teams like Benoit & Angle or Rey & Edge that actually had a TAG TEAM BASED STORY built around them (as well the Dream Tag Team in my House: Kane & RVD [RVD is my brother's favorite wrestler... watching them win the belts on Raw was AWESOME]).
ECWFlairfan wrote: This is why Vince hates tag team wrestling. He had NOTHING to do with the very best teams getting over... LOD, 3D, Anderson/Blanchard, Midnight Express (Eaton/Condrey, Eaton/Lane, & Condrey/Rose)... all over without the WWF machine...
Okay... But E&C, the Hardys, the Hart Foundation, the British Bulldogs, Los Guerreros, the New Age Outlaws, the Blackjacks, the Valiant Brothers, the APA, and others were all major WWE Tag Teams. Your assertions about Vince make no sense.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » Mar 1st, '11, 18:05

Big Red Machine wrote:
ECWFlairfan wrote: This is why Vince hates tag team wrestling. He had NOTHING to do with the very best teams getting over... LOD, 3D, Anderson/Blanchard, Midnight Express (Eaton/Condrey, Eaton/Lane, & Condrey/Rose)... all over without the WWF machine...
Okay... But E&C, the Hardys, the Hart Foundation, the British Bulldogs, Los Guerreros, the New Age Outlaws, the Blackjacks, the Valiant Brothers, the APA, and others were all major WWE Tag Teams. Your assertions about Vince make no sense.
wait a sec, tho BRM; I'll give you E&C, the Hardy's, APA, and Guerreros; but the Bulldogs, Valiants, and Blackjacks weren't WWF tag teams originally, were they? I agree with ECWFlair about Vince's dislike of(or at least impatience with) tag team wrestling; he cannot create a blockbuster tag team. However, this still comes back around to Vince's impatience with tag team wrestling. He thinks every team is spose to be like the Rockers and he gives no team a chance to be like LOD or the Midnight Express bc he doesn't keep them together long enough to be a great tag team. Haas & Benjamin had to wait years to get their tag team back together bc Vince didn't see that he could have turned the two into mega stars (and others by relation) if he would have put SOME emphasis on having SOME kind of Tag division....

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 2nd, '11, 02:10

badnewzxl wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:
wait a sec, tho BRM; I'll give you E&C, the Hardy's, APA, and Guerreros; but the Bulldogs, Valiants, and Blackjacks weren't WWF tag teams originally, were they? I agree with ECWFlair about Vince's dislike of(or at least impatience with) tag team wrestling; he cannot create a blockbuster tag team. However, this still comes back around to Vince's impatience with tag team wrestling. He thinks every team is spose to be like the Rockers and he gives no team a chance to be like LOD or the Midnight Express bc he doesn't keep them together long enough to be a great tag team. Haas & Benjamin had to wait years to get their tag team back together bc Vince didn't see that he could have turned the two into mega stars (and others by relation) if he would have put SOME emphasis on having SOME kind of Tag division....
Vince the first one to make those teams stars. As for your comments about Vince not being able to make a blockbuster tag team: The Hardys. E&C.
Can't, and doesn't want to are very different things.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation