WWE Considering Splitting Up The Dudley Boyz And Bringing Back Bully Ray

Everything that is happening in the wrestling world.
cero2k
Site Admin

WWE Considering Splitting Up The Dudley Boyz And Bringing Back Bully Ray

Post by cero2k » Jan 7th, '16, 22:22

Source: sescoops.com

While nothing is set in stone, there has been talk within WWE creative lately regarding the possibility of splitting up The Dudley Boyz and having Bubba Ray Dudley perform as a singles character more along the lines of the Bully Ray heel persona he portrayed in TNA.

The Wrestling Observer Newsletter notes that while the concept has been pitched and discussed at meetings in recent weeks, it doesn’t necessarily guarantee that it’s in the works because often times interesting ideas will come up and never actually come to fruition for one reason or another.

cero2k
Site Admin

Re: WWE Considering Splitting Up The Dudley Boyz And Bringing Back Bully Ray

Post by cero2k » Jan 7th, '16, 22:22

man, WWE is really going all out on this 'shopping gimmicks from all over the world" deal

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 7th, '16, 22:50

Bully Ray was a stupid, terrible annoying gimmick and deserves to be dead and forgotten. Being the Dudley Boys is a MUCH better use of both men.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

XIV

Post by XIV » Jan 8th, '16, 01:47

Screw Bully Ray. We all want to see Reverend Devon......
Have A Nice Day!

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 8th, '16, 01:49

XIV wrote:Screw Bully Ray. We all want to see Reverend Devon......
TESTIFY!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jan 8th, '16, 08:42

Big Red Machine wrote:Bully Ray was a stupid, terrible annoying gimmick and deserves to be dead and forgotten. Being the Dudley Boys is a MUCH better use of both men.
WHAT!? Bully Ray is the only relevant (and good) thing that man has done in his career since TLC, Bully Ray could had been a better heel in WWE than the whole league of nations combined

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 8th, '16, 11:14

cero2k wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:Bully Ray was a stupid, terrible annoying gimmick and deserves to be dead and forgotten. Being the Dudley Boys is a MUCH better use of both men.
WHAT!? Bully Ray is the only relevant (and good) thing that man has done in his career since TLC, Bully Ray could had been a better heel in WWE than the whole league of nations combined
Are you kidding? He was a one-note character with a stupid catchphrase that he kept repeating, which always led to him saying his even stupider name. I mean come on. How would you react if someone showed up and said "hello, my name is Babyface John" or "my name is "Submission-Guy Daniel" or "Irish Becky" or "Rich Alberto" or "Cocky Sasha" or "Funny Santino" or "Mean Kevin"?

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jan 8th, '16, 11:55

Big Red Machine wrote: Are you kidding? He was a one-note character with a stupid catchphrase that he kept repeating, which always led to him saying his even stupider name. I mean come on. How would you react if someone showed up and said "hello, my name is Babyface John" or "my name is "Submission-Guy Daniel" or "Irish Becky" or "Rich Alberto" or "Cocky Sasha" or "Funny Santino" or "Mean Kevin"?
granted, the name was bad, but Bully Ray was more than just that catchphrase.

Also, that thing were you say your name is pretty usual for WWE. I'm sure Heyman still does it.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 8th, '16, 12:29

cero2k wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote: Are you kidding? He was a one-note character with a stupid catchphrase that he kept repeating, which always led to him saying his even stupider name. I mean come on. How would you react if someone showed up and said "hello, my name is Babyface John" or "my name is "Submission-Guy Daniel" or "Irish Becky" or "Rich Alberto" or "Cocky Sasha" or "Funny Santino" or "Mean Kevin"?
granted, the name was bad, but Bully Ray was more than just that catchphrase.

Also, that thing were you say your name is pretty usual for WWE. I'm sure Heyman still does it.
Yeah, but it works with Heyman because it's the sort of thing his character would feel the need to establish. Both to give himself Authority when he speaks on Brock's behalf and also as a subtle reminder that if you do anything to him, you will make Brock angry. With Bully Ray, it's just a pointless and stupid catchphrase.

And what else was Bully Ray besides the dumb name and the catchphrase? He did nothing different than a heel Bubba Ray Dudley would have done.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jan 8th, '16, 13:02

Big Red Machine wrote: Yeah, but it works with Heyman because it's the sort of thing his character would feel the need to establish. Both to give himself Authority when he speaks on Brock's behalf and also as a subtle reminder that if you do anything to him, you will make Brock angry. With Bully Ray, it's just a pointless and stupid catchphrase.

And what else was Bully Ray besides the dumb name and the catchphrase? He did nothing different than a heel Bubba Ray Dudley would have done.
Brock and Heyman have been back for years, everyone knows them by now

and Ray was cutting great promos back then and was great at getting heel heat. Ray's catchphrase was great for his character, a guy that thinks he's more than he is would use that phrase, because he/she thinks everyone should know him

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » Jan 9th, '16, 16:28

I'm with cero; Bully Ray was great.

And the whole introducing yourself thing was WAAAY overdone in WWE! Heyman was doing it, Miz was doing it, Seth Rollins started doing it for a while, and Jericho did it as a heel. I personally don't like it when anyone does it; its much cooler when the fans seek you out than it is for you to introduce yourself every time. It gets heat, but its annoyed heat, not bad guy heat.

And yes, Bully was just the heel Bubba Ray; TNA just couldn't call him Bubba so they used Bully. The original post doesn't say WWE is planning on picking up the name, just the gimmick (I.E. we will get white heat Bubba Dudley instead of face Bubba).

XIV

Post by XIV » Jan 9th, '16, 16:53

I'm with BRM on this one. Bully Ray was not a good character, he just was saying the cringeworthiest stuff and phrases. The only time the gimmick really suited him was the whole Aces & Eights thing. But that was ridiculous as well. He fit it better because of what it represented, but it was just a terrible rip off without a motorcycle in sight. I love Sons of Anarchy too much to ever think that was a good idea.

You can have Bubba be a bully type character without saying it 4 times a show. Just showcase him in mini feuds picking on guys who are short or guys who are lightweight wrestlers (Kalisto, Neville etc) and you have your bully putting over smaller or new talent.

For example...

Bubba Ray attacks Kalisto and cuts a promo "You know who I am, you're a little nobody and I am a multi-time tag team champion and a legend of this business."
Kalisto and Bubba Ray have a showcase match (or maybe even a couple of matches) in which Bubba Ray is visibly overwhelmed and shocked by Kalisto's speed and athleticism but gets the win(s) by cheating or deception.
Bubba Ray cuts his next promo admitting he may have underestimated Kalisto but that he's still better and that he'll give Kalisto one more chance to beat him at a PPV.
PPV - Kalisto vs Bubba Ray - Kalisto goes over clean with Bubba admitting afterwards or the show after that Kalisto has proved himself worthy and is okay by him.

Bubba Ray then picks his next target by attacking Neville giving it the "Kalisto proved he was really good and is the future and even beat me, but you're not Kalisto and you're nothing" Repeat the above.

Occasionally Renee Young will interview him saying "people are saying lately that you're just a bully" with Bubba proclaiming "I'm making their freakin' careers better, I'm taking them as boys and making them as men"

Bubba gets heat. Little/new guys go over. Simple.

In an ideal world this would lead to Samoa Joe's WWE debut as the face who finally stands up to Bubba.
Have A Nice Day!