Roman Reigns on Criticism from Fans

Everything that is happening in the wrestling world.
Big Red Machine

Roman Reigns on Criticism from Fans

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 24th, '15, 21:01

Source: Crave Online

“Everybody is a critic”

CraveOnline: The Royal Rumble is in Philly this year and been known to have a rowdy crowd. Do you ever pay attention to what fans or critics say and is there anything in particular you find amusing?

Roman Reigns: [Laughs] Yeah, I think its hard not to pay attention these days with all of the social media networks and all of the different outlets. It’s so easy to connect with fans nowadays. You know, I have a Twitter and things like that. I’m not a crazy Twitter guy to where I’m tweeting out stuff every day and rarely even once a week, do I tweet. But I mean, occasionally, I read some stuff.

The funny part is, you have a guy like me who is kind of getting like a mixed vibe from time-to-time. I get a lot of love and then you’ll get the hate in the middle of it but its just funny, the perspectives you know, the differences between the love and the hate. As far as the hate, it makes me laugh. Everybody is a critic. Every critic I’ve ever had, they weren’t wrestlers [laughs]. Every wrestler I’ve ever had critique me, they were always into my stuff or what I’m doing out there. For a non-wrestler, someone who doesn’t even know how to lock up, and if we did lock up, they wouldn’t know what to do, for them to critique any of us, it really does pop me.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Serujuunin

Re: Roman Reigns on Criticism from Fans

Post by Serujuunin » Jan 25th, '15, 11:15

The only real criticism I've heard regarding Roman is that he can't talk, but of course people are going to think that when he's given terrible promos. Some people say also that he can't wrestle, but a lot of those are the people that dislike him and are just looking to talk him down without any real logic to support their arguments. Sure, he's a little rough around the edges but that goes away with time and practise.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 25th, '15, 11:52

Serujuunin wrote:The only real criticism I've heard regarding Roman is that he can't talk, but of course people are going to think that when he's given terrible promos. Some people say also that he can't wrestle, but a lot of those are the people that dislike him and are just looking to talk him down without any real logic to support their arguments. Sure, he's a little rough around the edges but that goes away with time and practise.
The criticism of Reigns I've heard/seen is that he is being given promos that are wrong for his character, and as a result, the delivery is also terrible. They're Cena promos, but their being given to Reigns, who should be a badass who speaks no more than one or two lines most of the time.
As for his wrestling, I think the criticism is that he's just not up to the level of a main event guy, never mind THE top guy. His matches are pretty much all the same in that it's just shine, heat, Superman Punch, Spear for the the finish. There is no variation in terms of "in this match, the opponent will get the heat by working over my arm" rather than just general selling. They never do things like teasing a spear, but the other guy rolls out of the ring. They haven't done a match (that I can recall) where the other guy works over his leg so he can't do the spear. He's good enough that a guy like Bryan or Rollins or Orton can easily have a match with him that reaches that next level, but he isn't good enough where he can carry someone else to that main event level on his own, and that's what your top guy is supposed to do. He's Batista, but a top guy needs to be Shawn Michaels.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

kiel297

Post by kiel297 » Jan 26th, '15, 05:38

I really, REALLY hate this attitude among wrestlers that because fans don't wrestle, we can't criticise what we see. It's such a dumb, boy's club attitude. "You're not one of us, shut up."

Because every music review is written by a musician.
And every film review is written by an actor.
And every video game review is written by a game dev.

Shut up Roman. You're an idiot.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 26th, '15, 06:58

kiel297 wrote:I really, REALLY hate this attitude among wrestlers that because fans don't wrestle, we can't criticise what we see. It's such a dumb, boy's club attitude. "You're not one of us, shut up."

Exactly. We're the consumer of the product. Our opinion matters because it determines whether or not we spend money on the product.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Jan 28th, '15, 07:53

Big Red Machine wrote:
kiel297 wrote:I really, REALLY hate this attitude among wrestlers that because fans don't wrestle, we can't criticise what we see. It's such a dumb, boy's club attitude. "You're not one of us, shut up."

Exactly. We're the consumer of the product. Our opinion matters because it determines whether or not we spend money on the product.
Of course our opinion matters, but it's just like sitting on your couch every Sunday amd criticizing Tom Brady or the like. Sure, we can say he should have done this or that, but ultimately, unless you've played football competitively at an NFL level, you don't have a perfect understanding of what is happening on the field at any given time. It's the same with wrestling. I will agree and say that it is a terribly canned answer, and it's probably something the wrestlers have learned to tell themselves (and others) when they don't get the fan response they expected in order to make themselves feel better. And imagine how frustrating it must be for them to hear people say things all the time about how bad they are from people (like me) who can't even run a mile. It has to suck balls for them.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jan 28th, '15, 08:33

Serujuunin wrote: Of course our opinion matters, but it's just like sitting on your couch every Sunday amd criticizing Tom Brady or the like. Sure, we can say he should have done this or that, but ultimately, unless you've played football competitively at an NFL level, you don't have a perfect understanding of what is happening on the field at any given time. It's the same with wrestling. I will agree and say that it is a terribly canned answer, and it's probably something the wrestlers have learned to tell themselves (and others) when they don't get the fan response they expected in order to make themselves feel better. And imagine how frustrating it must be for them to hear people say things all the time about how bad they are from people (like me) who can't even run a mile. It has to suck balls for them.
that's a bit different in the sense we don't tell Roman Reigns how to correctly pace a match or execute a move, what most people are critical off right now is just the direction of the company and how the guys that have shown connection to the fans are being treated. Roman Reigns, sadly for him, is the proxy to creative and Vinny Mac, he's getting the heat for what backstage is doing wrong

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 28th, '15, 09:39

Serujuunin wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:

Of course our opinion matters, but it's just like sitting on your couch every Sunday amd criticizing Tom Brady or the like. Sure, we can say he should have done this or that, but ultimately, unless you've played football competitively at an NFL level, you don't have a perfect understanding of what is happening on the field at any given time. It's the same with wrestling. I will agree and say that it is a terribly canned answer, and it's probably something the wrestlers have learned to tell themselves (and others) when they don't get the fan response they expected in order to make themselves feel better. And imagine how frustrating it must be for them to hear people say things all the time about how bad they are from people (like me) who can't even run a mile. It has to suck balls for them.
I see what you're saying, but I don't think it really applies. When was the last time you heard somebody criticizing Roman Reigns for not having perfect form on a suplex or something like that? The things that people are criticizing him for are all subjective. Did his promo work for you? Did the story of his match work for you? Even that whole thing I said about him not being able to really carry someone to a match above their normal level the way that Rollins or Bryan can is, at it's core, subjective.

I think Cero hit it pretty much on the head. The fact that Roman isn't connecting is mostly on Vince, who is writing him John Cena promos instead of playing to Roman's strengths- both of those of the already established character and those of Joe Anoa'i the man portraying him.

As for in the ring, from what I have heard, that is also a product of WWE's system only liking one type of match, so that's all that the agents will give the guys to do.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Jan 31st, '15, 13:32

Big Red Machine wrote:
Serujuunin wrote:Of course our opinion matters, but it's just like sitting on your couch every Sunday amd criticizing Tom Brady or the like. Sure, we can say he should have done this or that, but ultimately, unless you've played football competitively at an NFL level, you don't have a perfect understanding of what is happening on the field at any given time. It's the same with wrestling. I will agree and say that it is a terribly canned answer, and it's probably something the wrestlers have learned to tell themselves (and others) when they don't get the fan response they expected in order to make themselves feel better. And imagine how frustrating it must be for them to hear people say things all the time about how bad they are from people (like me) who can't even run a mile. It has to suck balls for them.
I see what you're saying, but I don't think it really applies. When was the last time you heard somebody criticizing Roman Reigns for not having perfect form on a suplex or something like that? The things that people are criticizing him for are all subjective. Did his promo work for you? Did the story of his match work for you? Even that whole thing I said about him not being able to really carry someone to a match above their normal level the way that Rollins or Bryan can is, at it's core, subjective.

I think Cero hit it pretty much on the head. The fact that Roman isn't connecting is mostly on Vince, who is writing him John Cena promos instead of playing to Roman's strengths- both of those of the already established character and those of Joe Anoa'i the man portraying him.

As for in the ring, from what I have heard, that is also a product of WWE's system only liking one type of match, so that's all that the agents will give the guys to do.
I don't think it's so much criticizing him for not having good form on a move (although I, admittedly, find myself doing that sometimes....), but for not being able to do some of the things that other guys can do. I would relate it more to criticizing a football player for not being able to make the same throw or catch that another guy could make, and even saying "Even I could do that!" (which I hear my mom say all the time when she's watching her Sunday football!) That's kind of what I'm talking about. How annoying is it for someone to look at your job and say they could do it better when they've never done it before! I've had that happen to me, and it's seriously so irritating that I want to punch that person in the face. Now imagine a large chunk of the IWC saying it about you. It can't be easy. I'm not just saying this to defend Roman (although part of me is, of course, doing just that), but also for guys like Cena, or even Punk or whomever, that people say these things about. I would like to see them hop in the ring with no experience and do the exact same thing, only better. It's not gonna happen.

Honestly, with the exception of the Sylvester-the-cat and Storytime-with-Roman-Reigns promos, I haven't really minded his promos too much lately. In fact, his interviews on this past RAW (especially his one with Lesnar) were actually really good in my opinion. I'm really hoping that it's because they let him say what he wanted to say, rather than having it all word for word scripted out for him. I would really like for him to go back to making his intentions known via his actions, rather than words, because I do think it is more appropriate for his character than cutting a promo every week (as much as the little fangirl in me likes to hear him talk). I feel like, with some development, he could become the type of guy that can carry anyone to a good match (NOT saying he's gonna be Bryan or Ziggler quality), and honestly, I really don't think he's ready for the belt yet. And I REALLY want them to have him take it from Cena in a sort of passing of the torch thing, rather than taking it from Lesnar.

Sorry, I feel as though I went off on a tangent there... My fingers decided what they wanted without my brain's permission! :P

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 31st, '15, 17:37

Serujuunin wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:
Serujuunin wrote:Of course our opinion matters, but it's just like sitting on your couch every Sunday amd criticizing Tom Brady or the like. Sure, we can say he should have done this or that, but ultimately, unless you've played football competitively at an NFL level, you don't have a perfect understanding of what is happening on the field at any given time. It's the same with wrestling. I will agree and say that it is a terribly canned answer, and it's probably something the wrestlers have learned to tell themselves (and others) when they don't get the fan response they expected in order to make themselves feel better. And imagine how frustrating it must be for them to hear people say things all the time about how bad they are from people (like me) who can't even run a mile. It has to suck balls for them.

I don't think it's so much criticizing him for not having good form on a move (although I, admittedly, find myself doing that sometimes....), but for not being able to do some of the things that other guys can do. I would relate it more to criticizing a football player for not being able to make the same throw or catch that another guy could make, and even saying "Even I could do that!" (which I hear my mom say all the time when she's watching her Sunday football!) That's kind of what I'm talking about. How annoying is it for someone to look at your job and say they could do it better when they've never done it before! I've had that happen to me, and it's seriously so irritating that I want to punch that person in the face. Now imagine a large chunk of the IWC saying it about you. It can't be easy. I'm not just saying this to defend Roman (although part of me is, of course, doing just that), but also for guys like Cena, or even Punk or whomever, that people say these things about. I would like to see them hop in the ring with no experience and do the exact same thing, only better. It's not gonna happen.

Honestly, with the exception of the Sylvester-the-cat and Storytime-with-Roman-Reigns promos, I haven't really minded his promos too much lately. In fact, his interviews on this past RAW (especially his one with Lesnar) were actually really good in my opinion. I'm really hoping that it's because they let him say what he wanted to say, rather than having it all word for word scripted out for him. I would really like for him to go back to making his intentions known via his actions, rather than words, because I do think it is more appropriate for his character than cutting a promo every week (as much as the little fangirl in me likes to hear him talk). I feel like, with some development, he could become the type of guy that can carry anyone to a good match (NOT saying he's gonna be Bryan or Ziggler quality), and honestly, I really don't think he's ready for the belt yet. And I REALLY want them to have him take it from Cena in a sort of passing of the torch thing, rather than taking it from Lesnar.

Sorry, I feel as though I went off on a tangent there... My fingers decided what they wanted without my brain's permission! :P
I see what you're saying, and I think you hit the hail on the head with the scripting. The problem is that they aren't letting him be him. They are making him cut promos that don't fit in with the Roman Reigns character and also don't play to Joe Anoai's verbal strengths.
And as for the Cena match... that's next year's Mania (although it will be interesting to see which one of those two they have win the Rumble).

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Feb 1st, '15, 02:13

Big Red Machine wrote:
Serujuunin wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote: I see what you're saying, but I don't think it really applies. When was the last time you heard somebody criticizing Roman Reigns for not having perfect form on a suplex or something like that? The things that people are criticizing him for are all subjective. Did his promo work for you? Did the story of his match work for you? Even that whole thing I said about him not being able to really carry someone to a match above their normal level the way that Rollins or Bryan can is, at it's core, subjective.

I see what you're saying, and I think you hit the hail on the head with the scripting. The problem is that they aren't letting him be him. They are making him cut promos that don't fit in with the Roman Reigns character and also don't play to Joe Anoai's verbal strengths.
And as for the Cena match... that's next year's Mania (although it will be interesting to see which one of those two they have win the Rumble).
So... Seru's having a party for next year's 'Mania. :P The way I hear it, he's a pretty silly dude behind the scenes, and I'm not sure how well that would translate into the big-bad-badass Roman Reigns character. :P still, believing that Roman won't win at Mania (still hoping he will though), I'm interested to see this match at Mania. I hope Lesnar doesn't make it a snore-fest for me.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 1st, '15, 02:42

Serujuunin wrote: I hope Lesnar doesn't make it a snore-fest for me.
You find Lesnar matches boring?!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Feb 1st, '15, 16:45

Big Red Machine wrote:
Unbearably boring. Not to mention he looks like a big baby every match. Sure, he doles out tons of punishment, but he takes one hit and he looks like it hurts him more than it would hurt me, a little 115 pound white girl.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 1st, '15, 17:39

Serujuunin wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:
Unbearably boring. Not to mention he looks like a big baby every match. Sure, he doles out tons of punishment, but he takes one hit and he looks like it hurts him more than it would hurt me, a little 115 pound white girl.
Lol. I'd love to hear what you say about Tomohiro Ishii.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Feb 2nd, '15, 22:21

Big Red Machine wrote:
Serujuunin wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote: You find Lesnar matches boring?!
Lol. I'd love to hear what you say about Tomohiro Ishii.
I will go youtube him and get back to you. :P