2 Cents: The Hate on John Cena

Get your opinions out
Forum rules
All Topics must start with "2 cents:" continued by the wrestler, event, segment, match being talked about.

example:
2 cents: John Cena
cero2k
Site Admin

2 Cents: The Hate on John Cena

Post by cero2k » Nov 21st, '11, 17:03

Why is it?? He's a cool guy, he works hard, he legimitaly likes the business. Why is there soo much hate for Cena? And it's not like a just some crowds or anything, there is not a single are that you don't hear a little amount of "CEna Sucks" chants even if he's the biggest babyface in probably the whole business.

what's your opinion on why there is SOO much hate on Cena??

kiel297

Re: 2 Cents: The Hate on John Cena

Post by kiel297 » Nov 21st, '11, 17:14

I personally don't mind him that much, but it's more or less because he's this era's Hulk Hogan. People are gonna continue to be bored of him until he changes his character up like Hogan did.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Nov 21st, '11, 17:31

kiel297 wrote:I personally don't mind him that much, but it's more or less because he's this era's Hulk Hogan. People are gonna continue to be bored of him until he changes his character up like Hogan did.
True, but I don't think Hogan ever got a "let's go Hogan" "Hogan Sucks" chant battle during his days, at least not to my memory remembers. There's more to this.

I personally base it on the fact that he went over guys like HHH, Angle, Jericho, Triple H and they ALL tapped out to him while his wrestling was still somewhat limited. That later evolved into super "comeback from any beating" cena. Right now, i honestly just believe it's the "cool" thing to do at shows unless you're either physically attracted to him or still believe wrestling is real.

Rabid619

Post by Rabid619 » Nov 21st, '11, 18:29

I can respect him for the way he carries himself BUT his in ring stuff is limited and his character is still the same with slight modifications. We want variety, not the same thing weak after weak. Keeping him away from the title might help a bit, but turning him heel would be a huge risk because they'd lose money AND theres no guarantee that it would do anything except make people dislike him more.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Nov 21st, '11, 18:40

Rabid619 wrote: We want variety, not the same thing week after week.
then you should have a problem with the whole WWE. Punk has been doing the elbow drop every week, Ryder is milking the WWWWKI catchphrase like there's no tomorrow.

Rabid619

Post by Rabid619 » Nov 21st, '11, 18:57

cero2k wrote:then you should have a problem with the whole WWE. Punk has been doing the elbow drop every week, Ryder is milking the WWWWKI catchphrase like there's no tomorrow.
They haven't been doing that for almost 6 years. Punks matches are different from Cena matches because Punk just puts on a match to the best of his ability, sometimes he wins, sometimes he doesn't. Cena goes out, gets beat up so much then makes the same boring comeback and majority of the time he wins. I also get bored when they're so shocked by when someone does a cross body on Cena and he does the role through which ends up with him carrying whoever. It's not done often but the announcers need to stop being so shocked about it, we've seen it before, nothing new. Cena does have the ability to do more but they don't let him. He can even change himself up a bit more too. First time he's changed his shorts in the past 4 years was at Vengeance this year.

Ryders catchphrase does annoy me a bit, every once in a while it's alright. To me its about as good for whatever segment he's in as Storms catchphrase Sorry about your damn luck. Mostly out of place but sometimes it actually does work.

Earth Child

Post by Earth Child » Nov 21st, '11, 20:16

It's the simple fact that he is shoved down our throats every week

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 22nd, '11, 00:16

It is part of the anti-WWE hate that we get for no real reason. At some point in about 2004 or 2005, trashing WWE became the "cool" thing to do on the internet. Cena (and Batista) were the top guys in the company at the time, and they didn't have Attitude Era street cred, so they became the main targets of the feces flinging.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Nov 22nd, '11, 07:44

cero2k wrote:True, but I don't think Hogan ever got a "let's go Hogan" "Hogan Sucks" chant battle during his days, at least not to my memory remembers. There's more to this.
This was before the era of the anti-hero. Austin and The NWO really changed the game, they opened up a HUGE fanbase of folks that WANT to boo the good guy. There was also the ECW movement that have us boo-ing everytime our babyface bullsh*t cheese alarms go off. All of The Rock n Wrestling fans grew up.
cero2k wrote: Right now, i honestly just believe it's the "cool" thing to do at shows unless you're either physically attracted to him or still believe wrestling is real.
I think this is where the majority of Cena Hate starts.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Nov 22nd, '11, 08:06

Bob-O wrote:
cero2k wrote:
cero2k wrote: Right now, i honestly just believe it's the "cool" thing to do at shows unless you're either physically attracted to him or still believe wrestling is real.
I think this is where the majority of Cena Hate starts.
oh for sure,,You think at just about every show its not comman practice to start trashin cena? its like its habitual or somethin,like its the 'thing to do'
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Nov 22nd, '11, 10:40

Everything I've heard from everyone I know that hates him says it's because he can't wrestle. Or rather, can't wrestle as well as a lot of the other guys. It's the same moveset with the same patterns every night, and that's what gets tiring. Especially 'cause we know he's capable of doing other things.

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » Dec 25th, '11, 00:31

If I'm not spose to dislike Cena bc everyone else dislikes Cena; I'm not gonna LIKE Cena, just to be a non-conformist. I haven't liked Cena since 2006 bc he stopped doing the things that made my like him (rapping) and he hasn't began to do anything new that I like. I'm not just riding the bandwagon of Cena hate, and I believe a lot of those other ppl in the crowds at the events are the same way. Some ppl just don't like Cena, no matter how the WWE WANTS us to feel.

yourcrapsweak

Post by yourcrapsweak » Dec 25th, '11, 07:48

He's a good worker in my opinion. He does have a limited moveset, but it's not because of a lack of ability, but rather because it's what the little kids become familiar with. But still, whether you want to admit it or not, you HAVE to be a good worker to have a five star match (which we all know and will admit he has had, and NO Punk did NOT carry him for that match).

Most people hate on Cena without a true reason, and the biggest underlying reason for all of this Cena hate is because of what BRM described. However another big part of it is because most smarks think he is a cookie cutter babyface who has been pushed down our throats. However if he wasn't cookie cutter, they'd have no problem with someone being pushed down their throats. How many "Austin sucks!" or "Ryder sucks!" or even "Punk sucks!" chants have there ever been? None! It's not that he's being shoved down our throats, but it's the fact that people get tired of his character of being this goody goody nice guy. But the fact of the matter is that he's a good worker, he's charismatic, he's got the look (come on, how many ladies wanna piece of him?) and that's what WWE handed to him. They said "you've got it all so we're gonna make you the face of the company." In this era where smarks roam the four corners of the earth, no matter WHO it is as the face of the company, there will be some rebuttal.
"I was trending worldwide on Twitter once. And then I looked in my wallet, and there was no money in there."
-Kevin Steen

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Dec 25th, '11, 08:24

yourcrapsweak wrote:come on, how many ladies wanna piece of him?
This is a true story...

Rabid619

Post by Rabid619 » Dec 25th, '11, 08:26

I respect him for being a good work but his character is stale as hell for me it's just not my cup of tea.