Will there ever be another Dark Gimmick in WWE??

All Time Greatest, Worst, Sickest, Weirdest, Funniest...you get the idea.

will there ever be more dark gimmicks in WWE??

No, WWE is past that
29%
Yes, it's always necessary
71%

Total votes: 7

cero2k
Site Admin

Will there ever be another Dark Gimmick in WWE??

Post by cero2k » Nov 29th, '11, 14:36

It's no secret that both Kane and The Undertaker are on their last run with the WWE, age forgives no one. However, there's more to it, they're the last of a dying breed, they're the LAST dark gimmicks. Sure we have the Batiri in Chikara, or Los Bizarros in AAA, or even Rellik in LLUSA....but c'mon....they're not making it to WWE.

So, what's gonna happen with Dark Gimmicks in WWE?? will there ever be another another Dark Gimmick in WWE???

Earth Child

Re: Will there ever be another Dark Gimmick in WWE??

Post by Earth Child » Nov 29th, '11, 15:28

I think it's possible

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 29th, '11, 16:30

I'm sure it will happen at some point
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Nov 29th, '11, 17:02

Big Red Machine wrote:I'm sure it will happen at some point
I think so too, but i think there's gonna have to be a change in 'eras' again before it happens.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 29th, '11, 17:14

cero2k wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:I'm sure it will happen at some point
I think so too, but i think there's gonna have to be a change in 'eras' again before it happens.
True. Wrestling as a whole is past the "supernatural dark" gimmick. Aside from Kane & Taker, the last guy using it that I can think of is Kizarny.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Lynas
Future Endeavored

Post by Lynas » Nov 30th, '11, 00:22

I'm with you Cero, it will happen, no doubt it'll happen, but not until the next generation change (Golden Age, Attitude, PG, and whatever you'd call 2011) Generation changes in wrestling happen every 7 or 8 years or so, it'll come around again.

WrestlingJoker

Post by WrestlingJoker » Nov 30th, '11, 01:06

Lynas wrote:I'm with you Cero, it will happen, no doubt it'll happen, but not until the next generation change (Golden Age, Attitude, PG, and whatever you'd call 2011) Generation changes in wrestling happen every 7 or 8 years or so, it'll come around again.
You forgot Ruthless Aggression.

Lynas
Future Endeavored

Post by Lynas » Nov 30th, '11, 01:43

WrestlingJoker wrote:
Lynas wrote:I'm with you Cero, it will happen, no doubt it'll happen, but not until the next generation change (Golden Age, Attitude, PG, and whatever you'd call 2011) Generation changes in wrestling happen every 7 or 8 years or so, it'll come around again.
You forgot Ruthless Aggression.
Ruthless Aggression was more of a phase than a generation.

Aggro

Post by Aggro » Nov 30th, '11, 04:04

The thing with dark gimmicks is that they can be very complex and you have to have the right person to pull it off. It has to click from the get go too. Look at Mordecai, potentially a very good gimmick but just didn't get going. Then there was Vade Hansen a couple of years ago. We got that promo on smackdown then WWE pulled the plug before the bloke even got in the building! Unless you can make the impression Taker, Kane and Mankind did off the bat then dark gimmicks in todays WWE are an extinct species.
Last edited by Aggro on Nov 30th, '11, 08:45, edited 1 time in total.

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Nov 30th, '11, 08:42

WWE has gotten away from the over the top stuff all together, going as far as humanizing Kane. We'll see what happens to Kane in this latest incarnation, but you know what I mean. History has shown us that dark characters will always have a place in wrestling, and it won't take the WWE Machine long to realize that there is a huge demographic for this and a ton of money to be made. The Dark Gimmick will return.

Aggro

Post by Aggro » Nov 30th, '11, 08:53

Bob-O wrote:The Dark Gimmick will return.
I hope so, but the younger fans today are smarter than years gone by. When I was 10 years old I couldn't get online to find out who the Undertaker really was but now a kid could find whose portraying the persona in a matter of minutes. This is where I think a lot of the mystique would be lost. Sometimes its nice to leave the brain at the door. I guess one way to pull it off is to gradually turn a known performer over to a darker gimmick.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Nov 30th, '11, 11:10

The Awesome One wrote:I suppose it depends on what you find to be dark. Cody Rhodes was a pretty dark character with the mask, maybe not as much as Kane or Taker, but it was still pretty dark.
well, supernatural -ish dark, cuz you could also bring in Viscera or the Age of the Fall and they're dark enough, but not taker dark like