Your 5 star matches

Tell it to the world!!
badnewzxl

Re: Your 5 star matches

Post by badnewzxl » Jan 9th, '12, 16:37

Big Red Machine wrote:To all the people who don't have Bret vs Owen from Summer Slam listed: is that because you haven't seen it or because you didn't think it deserved the perfect rating?
It doesn't come to mind for me bc I never watched much WWE during the 90's; I kept up with it, but I never got to see ppvs and I was much more interested in WCW.

Is that the cage match?

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 9th, '12, 17:04

badnewzxl wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:To all the people who don't have Bret vs Owen from Summer Slam listed: is that because you haven't seen it or because you didn't think it deserved the perfect rating?
It doesn't come to mind for me bc I never watched much WWE during the 90's; I kept up with it, but I never got to see ppvs and I was much more interested in WCW.

Is that the cage match?
Yeah
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Sassafras

Post by Sassafras » Jan 9th, '12, 17:44

Totally forgot about it, man.

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » Jan 9th, '12, 18:20

I wouldn't give it five stars. GREAT match, but it didn't blow me away

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 9th, '12, 18:58

badnewzxl wrote:I wouldn't give it five stars. GREAT match, but it didn't blow me away
Same. I felt that they just kept repeating the same exact tow or three escape teasing spots over and over and over again for twenty five minutes, with some wrestling in between.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Lynas
Future Endeavored

Post by Lynas » Jan 10th, '12, 00:14

cero2k wrote:
because i didn't remembered. I would probably need to see it, but i think i like the WM one more.
This. I know alot of people loved it, but neither the SS or WM was "5 Star" quality. Great. But something was missing.

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » Jan 10th, '12, 01:42

Big Red Machine wrote:
badnewzxl wrote:I wouldn't give it five stars. GREAT match, but it didn't blow me away
Same. I felt that they just kept repeating the same exact tow or three escape teasing spots over and over and over again for twenty five minutes, with some wrestling in between.
exactly

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 11th, '12, 03:32

I just added Shane O' Mac vs. Kurt from KOTR 2001. AMAZING storytelling there.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Lynas
Future Endeavored

Post by Lynas » Jan 11th, '12, 03:50

Big Red Machine wrote:I just added Shane O' Mac vs. Kurt from KOTR 2001. AMAZING storytelling there.
I've been hawking about this match for years now! Loved it.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jan 11th, '12, 09:24

Big Red Machine wrote:I just added Shane O' Mac vs. Kurt from KOTR 2001. AMAZING storytelling there.
did you just see the match or the whole PPV?

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 11th, '12, 10:00

cero2k wrote:
So far, just that match and the DDP-Taker confrontation.

I have plans to finish the show in the next few days, though.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jan 11th, '12, 10:07

Big Red Machine wrote:
cero2k wrote:
So far, just that match and the DDP-Taker confrontation.

I have plans to finish the show in the next few days, though.
cool. i personally found the Angle/Shane match a bit more awesome having watched Kurt's other matches prior to the street fight

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 12th, '12, 01:24

I just finished watching the main event from ROH Revolution: Canada. I gave it 10/10, further cementing Eddie Edwards as the best worker of the year.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 19th, '12, 11:50

Sassafras wrote:Bret Hart vs. Diesel - Survivor Series 1995
The Undertaker vs. Mankind - Buried Alive Match, WWF In Your House: Buried Alive (October 1996)
The Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels - WrestleMania 25 (2009)
CM Punk vs. John Cena - Money in the Bank 2011

That's pretty much the only matches I'd personally rank as perfect.
And seeing as The Undertaker is the only one who appears more than once, this backs up my personal claim that he's the greatest of all time.
Not the WM 26 match, though? I thought that one was actually better.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Sassafras

Post by Sassafras » Jan 19th, '12, 13:24

Big Red Machine wrote: Not the WM 26 match, though? I thought that one was actually better.
As far as the importance of being Shawn's last match, it was HUGE. But from a wrestling standpoint, no. But this is mostly based on personal impact on ME, and on the night of WrestleMania 26, I ended up getting engaged. So everything else that night kinda dimmed in comparison at the time, ya know? I guess it kinda lacked the "who's gonna win" factor. In the back of my mind, the entire match, I knew who was walking out of there the winner that night.

At WM25, I legit harbored the idea that Shawn might do it. By "it", I mean end the streak. I was pulling for The Undertaker, of course, but there were several times during that match that my heart skipped a beat. When Shawn kicked out of the Tombstone, I SCREAMED a string of swears at the screen. I got so emotionally invested in that match. That is what makes a perfect match, to me.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 19th, '12, 14:51

Sassafras wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote: I guess it kinda lacked the "who's gonna win" factor. In the back of my mind, the entire match, I knew who was walking out of there the winner that night.

At WM25, I legit harbored the idea that Shawn might do it. By "it", I mean end the streak. I was pulling for The Undertaker, of course, but there were several times during that match that my heart skipped a beat. When Shawn kicked out of the Tombstone, I SCREAMED a string of swears at the screen. I got so emotionally invested in that match. That is what makes a perfect match, to me.

Really? I was pretty sure (about 70%) that Taker was going to win at WM 25 (in part due to it being in his home town). With WM 26, it was on neutral ground, Taker had already beaten Shawn at Mania, and Shawn's career was on the line. I had absolutely no idea who would win.

And for me, there was more emotional investment in the match at WM 26, just because of Shawn's career being on the line.

To each his own, I guess.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » Jan 23rd, '12, 00:44

just added Claudio v. Generico from the Race to the Top Tournament in 07; that match is pretty astounding....

yourcrapsweak

Post by yourcrapsweak » Jan 23rd, '12, 06:23

I'm thinking about adding Undertaker vs. Stone Cold in their First Blood Match from Fully Loaded '99. That match had so much build going into it, so much writing on it, and the stips were played perfectly. Plus, the psychology of it was UNBELIEVABLY AWESOME. By far the best psychology of a First Blood Match I've ever seen. What do you think?
"I was trending worldwide on Twitter once. And then I looked in my wallet, and there was no money in there."
-Kevin Steen

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 23rd, '12, 06:27

yourcrapsweak wrote:I'm thinking about adding Undertaker vs. Stone Cold in their First Blood Match from Fully Loaded '99. That match had so much build going into it, so much writing on it, and the stips were played perfectly. Plus, the psychology of it was UNBELIEVABLY AWESOME. By far the best psychology of a First Blood Match I've ever seen. What do you think?
Haven't seen it yet. I guess I'll go watch it. Personally, though, I think First Blood matches are moronic, and having them as a stip intended to be either "hardcore" or "extreme" in any way is ridiculous.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

yourcrapsweak

Post by yourcrapsweak » Jan 23rd, '12, 06:32

Big Red Machine wrote:
yourcrapsweak wrote:I'm thinking about adding Undertaker vs. Stone Cold in their First Blood Match from Fully Loaded '99. That match had so much build going into it, so much writing on it, and the stips were played perfectly. Plus, the psychology of it was UNBELIEVABLY AWESOME. By far the best psychology of a First Blood Match I've ever seen. What do you think?
Haven't seen it yet. I guess I'll go watch it. Personally, though, I think First Blood matches are moronic, and having them as a stip intended to be either "hardcore" or "extreme" in any way is ridiculous.
That was another thing; the stip wasn't for a "hardcore" reason like "someone's gonna bleed!" It was more like "Austin, what I want is your blood." It was played the way it should be. And the stips behind it were the title was on the line, if 'Taker won Austin would never compete for the title again, and if Austin won McMahon would leave the company. The whole match, Vince was on commentary and it was perfect because he was playing to the stip of First Blood the whole time. They kept trying to ram each other with the steel steps and chairs and stuff and McMahon was amazing, "COME ON 'TAKER! OPEN UP THAT CUT! OPEN HIM UP!" Both Austin and 'Taker had already bled that night too, so Austin had a bandage on his forehead and 'Taker was wiping blood with a washcloth before the match started.
"I was trending worldwide on Twitter once. And then I looked in my wallet, and there was no money in there."
-Kevin Steen