BRM Reviews ROH Escape From New York

All ROH Related Reviews and Discussions
Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews ROH Escape From New York

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 18th, '11, 01:56

ROH Escape From New York (7/16/2005)- New York, NY

THE RING CREW EXRESS & DIXIE vs. VORDELL WALKER & LACEY’S ANGELS (Cheech & Deranged) (w/Lacey)- 5.25/10

SERIES OF COLT CABANA PROMOS THAT RAN THROUGHOUT THE SHOW- good stuff. Very well done.

ROH TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH: Jimmy Jacobs, & BJ Whitmer(c) vs. The Carnage Crew- 5.5/10. I really don’t think this title change was a good idea. Jimmy & BJ were just too over for people to care about the Carnage Crew (the booing and “BULLSH*T!” chants that this finish got prove that), and the Carnage Crew already had their nice major moment of acceptance back in 2004 at At Our Best.

CM PUNK PROMO- good

FOUR CORNER SURVIVAL MATCH: Alex Shelley vs. James Gibson vs. Azrieal vs. Jimmy Rave (w/the Embassy)- 6.75/10
Little bit of awkwardness with their being no kayfabe authority authorizing the switch between Roddy & Shelley, but oh well.

After the match, we get the Embassy abusing Jade Chung. This seemed a bit over the top, but unlike Nana dragging Jade around by her hair during the match, this actually did get heat (although part of me thinks that the reason Nana’s abuse of Jade didn’t get heat before was because the fans were concentrating on the match).

In the middle of this match we got another of the stupid “interruptions in the feed” from last night. My objection to them from last night still stands.

ROH PURE TITLE MATCH: Samoa Joe(c) vs. Austin Aries- 8/10

CARNAGE CREW PROMO- okay

EUROPEAN RULES MATCH: Colt Cabana vs. Nigel McGuinness- 6/10. I don’t know how far in advance Gabe planned, but I’m pretty sure that it was his performance in this match that convinced Gabe to put the Pure Title on Nigel.

RELAXED RULES MATCH : Jay Lethal vs. Homicide (w/The Rottweilers)- 8.25/10! Awesome match! I really got behind Lethal here, and was really into the nearfalls.

ROH WORLD TITLE MATCH: CM Punk vs. Roderick Strong- 8.75/10.

AFTERMATH- GREAT! Everything they did during this show really gets you behind James Gibson, setting up for his title shot on the next show.

COLT CABANA PROMO- okay

Overall, a great show from ROH, definitely worth buying, and, being a Summer of Punk show, it is a must-have for Punk fans. It is also a must-have for the fan(s?) of the Carnage Crew.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

yourcrapsweak

Re: BRM Reviews ROH Escape From New York

Post by yourcrapsweak » Nov 18th, '11, 06:29

Lol, implying people are fans of the Carnage Crew. The only one I care about is Masada, and you know what happened with that.
"I was trending worldwide on Twitter once. And then I looked in my wallet, and there was no money in there."
-Kevin Steen

Big Red Machine

Re: BRM Reviews ROH Escape From New York

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 18th, '11, 07:15

yourcrapsweak wrote:Lol, implying people are fans of the Carnage Crew. The only one I care about is Masada, and you know what happened with that.
Yup. He pooped in their bags (which they retroactively deserved for assautling Dunn and Marocs a year later). That makes Masada retroactively a hero!

Seriously, though. A much better way to shake up ROH back in 2004 would have been to replace Loc and Devito with Masada & Danny Daniels
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3