Kevin Owens re-signs multi-year deal with WWE

Everything that is happening in the wrestling world.
Big Red Machine

Kevin Owens re-signs multi-year deal with WWE

Post by Big Red Machine » Dec 15th, '21, 16:02

https://www.f4wonline.com/wwe-news/kevi ... wwe-362781

By Josh Nason | @joshnason | Dec 15, 2021 9:37 am

Kevin Owens won't be going anywhere anytime soon as the impending free agent has re-signed with WWE.

Fightful first reported the news with Pat Laprade confirming shortly thereafter. Details are still light, but Laprade reported that the deal is for multiple years.

According to Laprade, Owens will explain the rationale for his decision in a podcast with Laprade that will drop Thursday.

It was learned in September that Owens was set to become a free agent at the end of January 2022 thanks to a pre-pandemic restructuring of contracts. The 37-year-old said in a May 2018 interview with Laprade that he had inked a five-year deal that ran into 2023.

At one point in September, Owens had posted and then deleted a tweet of coordinates to Mount Rushmore which fans took as a nod to a future in AEW as the landmark shares the name of his former PWG faction with the Young Bucks and Adam Cole. He also changed his Twitter location to 'Almost there.'

Owens has been in WWE since 2014, starting in NXT. After holding that brand's main title, he was called up in 2015 and has held the Universal title, the Intercontinental title and the U.S. title.

He will be in the main event of the upcoming Day 1 pay-per-view in a fatal four-way as he goes up against WWE Champion Big E, Bobby Lashley and Seth Rollins.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

XIV

Re: Kevin Owens re-signs multi-year deal with WWE

Post by XIV » Dec 15th, '21, 17:00

I wasn’t expecting that re-sign!

Signing on for another few years of being in a bland organisation.
Have A Nice Day!

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Dec 15th, '21, 17:23

XIV wrote: Dec 15th, '21, 17:00 I wasn’t expecting that re-sign!

lol dude, your bias is comedic at this point

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Dec 15th, '21, 17:29

He's a guy who they like to push, though, and with so many cuts, it's not unreasonable for him to assume that he'll be in the top mix. And if they cut him... so what? There will always be a spot for him in AEW because 1) he's an outstanding talent, and 2) he's friends with a bunch of the top guys.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Thelone

Post by Thelone » Dec 15th, '21, 18:24

Maybe, just maybe, Owens is actually enjoying his time in the GULAG. Let's remove AEW out of the equation and ask why would Owens even leave. He's always been treated well, always in the mid/uppercard mix with stints in the main event, most likely paid pretty well and has a good relationship with Vince allegedly. Just because he hasn't held a title in four years doesn't mean he's BERRIED and dying to get away as soon as possible.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Dec 15th, '21, 21:42

Steen is not going anywhere until Generico goes there first and then Steen can attack him and say "we're bound to this forever"

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Dec 15th, '21, 22:56

cero2k wrote: Dec 15th, '21, 21:42 Steen is not going anywhere until Generico goes there first and then Steen can attack him and say "we're bound to this forever"
You really think Steen would go to Los Angelitos del El Generico and attack him? It has been almost nine years and he hasn't done so yet. I think he finally got over his hatred of El Generico.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Dec 16th, '21, 09:08

Big Red Machine wrote: Dec 15th, '21, 22:56
cero2k wrote: Dec 15th, '21, 21:42 Steen is not going anywhere until Generico goes there first and then Steen can attack him and say "we're bound to this forever"
You really think Steen would go to Los Angelitos del El Generico and attack him? It has been almost nine years and he hasn't done so yet. I think he finally got over his hatred of El Generico.
let's not rule out that it could be a visa situation and Steen wouldn't be able to come back to the US

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Dec 16th, '21, 10:41

cero2k wrote: Dec 16th, '21, 09:08
Big Red Machine wrote: Dec 15th, '21, 22:56
let's not rule out that it could be a visa situation and Steen wouldn't be able to come back to the US
Good point.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Dec 16th, '21, 10:51

::::::UPDATE:::::

src: https://www.f4wonline.com/wwe-news/upda ... wwe-362871

More details have emerged regarding Kevin Owens' new contract with WWE.

On the latest edition of Wrestling Observer Radio, Dave Meltzer reported that Owens' new WWE contract is a three-year deal. Meltzer said the contract is in the range of $2-3 million per year.

"He signed a three-year deal with WWE. I believe it was actually a couple weeks ago when this happened," Meltzer said.

"It's a very good money deal. I think that the feeling was it was more than he would be able to get with AEW. It's $2-3 million, in that range, per year, so it may be. I don't want to say it probably will be because I don't know what AEW would have offered. There are guys in AEW who make in that range, but not a lot. I don't know that he would be able to get it. There's a million different things. He made the right call for himself."

Meltzer said there isn't a no-cut clause in Owens' contract.

Fightful first reported on Wednesday that Owens had signed a new multi-year deal with WWE. Owens also confirmed the deal to pro wrestling author and podcaster Pat Laprade.

"I'm just going to say that it still ends on January 31, but not 2022. I'm still going to be there for several years," Owens told Laprade. "The decision was pretty easy because it really was the best thing for my family. When it comes to that, it's always a pretty easy decision. WWE has been my home for seven years, so I have a sense of belonging. Basically, I spent most of my career there. When you look at all the wrestling companies I've wrestled in, in WWE, that's where I've been the longest, that's where I need to be for the next few years. That's how I felt and that's the decision I made. ”

Prior to re-signing, Owens' WWE contract had been set to expire at the end of January.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::;;

$2-3M range is most definitely a reason to re-sign. No other promotion would have offered that at this point

XIV

Post by XIV » Dec 17th, '21, 10:44

cero2k wrote: Dec 15th, '21, 17:23
XIV wrote: Dec 15th, '21, 17:00 I wasn’t expecting that re-sign!

lol dude, your bias is comedic at this point
It's not bias if it is being backed by fact. I'm not the only one who clearly feels this way with WWE's viewership hilariously down. How can you defend WWE? Remember how 18 months ago I was against AEW and not enjoying their product? But say what you will about the crap they put out with Orange Cassidy, Young Bucks & other jokey comedy bullshit AEW's product is not bland and it doesn't all feel the same with the introduction of real talent and people who actually know what they're doing, which shows that when presented with something entertaining, I am swayed into watching it every week..

My point was that WWE's programming is incredibly boring... and I can't see how I'm wrong there.
Have A Nice Day!

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Dec 17th, '21, 10:51

XIV wrote: Dec 17th, '21, 10:44

It's not bias if it is being backed by fact. I'm not the only one who clearly feels this way with WWE's viewership hilariously down. How can you defend WWE? Remember how 18 months ago I was against AEW and not enjoying their product? But say what you will about the crap they put out with Orange Cassidy, Young Bucks & other jokey comedy bullshit AEW's product is not bland and it doesn't all feel the same with the introduction of real talent and people who actually know what they're doing, which shows that when presented with something entertaining, I am swayed into watching it every week..

My point was that WWE's programming is incredibly boring... and I can't see how I'm wrong there.
My bad, i thought the 'bland org' was AEW. In such a case, i'm with you, I don't watch WWE, but all I hear reviews done for the sake of covering, but not for excitement anymore. Even Red finally stopped covering most of WWE

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Dec 17th, '21, 11:29

cero2k wrote: Dec 17th, '21, 10:51

My bad, i thought the 'bland org' was AEW. In such a case, i'm with you, I don't watch WWE, but all I hear reviews done for the sake of covering, but not for excitement anymore. Even Red finally stopped covering most of WWE
I'd probably still keep watching Smackdown if I felt I had the time, and Keller has been more positive on Raw lately. The real issue for me with Raw has become time. 3 hours is just too long for a show that isn't that good.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

XIV

Post by XIV » Dec 17th, '21, 11:41

Nope! WWE is the bland product, but that's going to be the case when every segment is scripted by the same people, no real personalities are going to come through, or at least, very few. Their most interesting things are Brock & Reigns / Heyman segments, where it is well known that scripting is very minimal. Yet, they're not picking up the jist that they should go back to thise show-wide.

The last 4/5 months, AEW has started to turn a corner in terms of making the whole show something to watch. I still can't stand elements such as those I already mentioned, but Darby Allin has won me over, he's a little hokey, but he lays shit in, his "dives" are the only ones that look legit and that's because he's actually throwing himself into the guy, not just waiting to get caught. I look at MJF & Punk right now, it's on fire and they've not so much as touched each other, every Danielson match and his attitude is a hit. I don't think Adam Page is the right champion for right now (mainly because he's being held back by the Dork Order) but he's better for me than Omega. There is less of the bad shit, and more of the good shit.
Have A Nice Day!

XIV

Post by XIV » Dec 17th, '21, 11:46

Big Red Machine wrote: Dec 17th, '21, 11:29

I'd probably still keep watching Smackdown if I felt I had the time, and Keller has been more positive on Raw lately. The real issue for me with Raw has become time. 3 hours is just too long for a show that isn't that good.
Raw is a marathon without the medal at the end. Like, there isn't enough entertaining stuff to fill 3 hours. 3 hours is too long for a non-special wrestling event. How can you leave me wanting more if you just tire me out? Leave me wishing the show was 30 minutes longer, rather than making me wish it was an hour shorter and being obviously stretched,

At this point, I don't actually watch any WWE full programs. In the UK we'd have to sign up to BT Sport to see it and that's £15 (about $17/18$) per month. and I'm not prepared to pay it for soemthing that doesn't entertain me when I can get the more entertaining show (AEW) on free TV.
Have A Nice Day!

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Dec 17th, '21, 12:02

I agree that the past few months have been better and the promotion feels like it has turned a corner.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Dec 17th, '21, 12:03

XIV wrote: Dec 17th, '21, 11:46

Raw is a marathon without the medal at the end. Like, there isn't enough entertaining stuff to fill 3 hours. 3 hours is too long for a non-special wrestling event. How can you leave me wanting more if you just tire me out? Leave me wishing the show was 30 minutes longer, rather than making me wish it was an hour shorter and being obviously stretched,

At this point, I don't actually watch any WWE full programs. In the UK we'd have to sign up to BT Sport to see it and that's £15 (about $17/18$) per month. and I'm not prepared to pay it for soemthing that doesn't entertain me when I can get the more entertaining show (AEW) on free TV.
Well said about Raw. While I am about two months behind, I will say that I have really been enjoying NXT UK. It's the show that most leaves me excited for next week every time.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

XIV

Post by XIV » Dec 17th, '21, 12:30

Big Red Machine wrote: Dec 17th, '21, 12:03

Well said about Raw. While I am about two months behind, I will say that I have really been enjoying NXT UK. It's the show that most leaves me excited for next week every time.
See, even NXT UK which I so enjoyed involves a BT Sport subscription and three matches per week isn't enough to warrant the money when it costs as much as my Disney + & Spotify subscriptions combined (from which I get HOURS of enjoyment).
Have A Nice Day!

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Dec 17th, '21, 12:38

XIV wrote: Dec 17th, '21, 12:30
Big Red Machine wrote: Dec 17th, '21, 12:03

See, even NXT UK which I so enjoyed involves a BT Sport subscription and three matches per week isn't enough to warrant the money when it costs as much as my Disney + & Spotify subscriptions combined (from which I get HOURS of enjoyment).
Fair point.

There isn't some sort of international WWE Network or Peacock you could get it on?

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

XIV

Post by XIV » Dec 17th, '21, 12:43

See, We can still get WWE Network. I'm not sure if NXT UK is on that anymore, because similar to the states, fresh episodes aren't available and I'd be months behind all the time. For where I am in life, my free TV giving me AEW is plenty just catching highlights here and there. Between my shift work and my other interests (Warhammer and Wargaming including my Podcast and Youtube shows). I would begrudge any time wasted on a WWE show I think. Until sweeping changes are made, WWE has lost my viewership (except for any exciting highlights).
Have A Nice Day!