BRM Reviews the 4/29/2021 NXT UK

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 4/29/2021 NXT UK

Post by Big Red Machine » May 14th, '21, 13:49

TEOMAN vs. ROHAN RAJA- 4/10
In the same sentence, Nigel told us that Raja was trained by Lance Storm and Yuki Ishikawa, and that he wants to follow in the footsteps of Jinder Mahal and The Great Khali. That’s quite the contrast there.
They let Raja get some offense in, but Teoman dominated most of it and won by stoppage. They pushed Teoman as being “sadistic.”

TEOMAN PROMO- He said that “the eye is watching.” I kind of hoped they’d stay away from the cryptic Ezel-type stuff.

SUBCULTURE VIDEO PACKAGE- “Flash” Morgan Webster, Mark Andrews, and Dani Luna talked about their various subcultures. I guess Dani is part of their group now.

EARLIER TODAY, ILJA DRAGUNOV’S INTERVIEW IS INTERRUPTED BY DAVE MASTIFF- fine
Mastiff wants a match with Ilja “in the spirit of competition.” Ilja accepts.

KAY LEE RAY PROMO- meh
Sid Scala came out to the ring to give her a big introduction. She cuts an arrogant heel promo about being the best and demands to know why she has been summoned here. Sid says that he and Johnny Saint have come up with a way to determine her next challenger. They’re going to have a gauntlet match. The five competitors are all standing nicely in a line along the wall, ready for a spotlight to illuminate them. They are: Jinny, Isla Dawn, Dani Luna, Xia Brookside, and Emilia McKenzie. Isn’t Aoife Valkyrie f*cking UNDEFEATED? When does she get her title shot?

PRETTY DEADLY VIDEO PACKAGE/PROMO- I’m… not sure if this was good not?
These guys are heels, but they came across more as babyfaces with a catchphrase they don’t realize is very annoying.

A-KID VIDEO PACKAGE/PROMO- good build for this Heritage Cup defense against Tyler Bate in three weeks.

LEVI MUIR vs. SHA SAMUELS- 3/10
Muir got a lot more offense in that I was expecting. Samuels even had to cheat to beat him (he had to rake the eyes to escape an Argentine backbreaker).

TRENT SEVEN IS INTERVIEWED AS HE ARRIVES AT THE UK PC- good
He talked about being a role-model. Sam Gradwell showed up to argue with him. Gradwell is quickly becoming one of my favorite heel promos in all of wrestling. He is perfectly belligerent and gets his point across effectively without attempting to have any redeemable qualities other than his conviction in what he is saying.

MEIKO SATOMURA vs. AOIFE VALKYRIE- 7/10
This was great for the time it got, and I have no problem with Meiko ending Valkyrie’s undefeated streak if they’re not going to push Valkyrie to the moon right away. That being said, this REALLY should have gone longer than it did. Let Valkyrie still come out of this looking stronger than she was going in by having her really push the legend to her limit.

SYMBIOSIS VIDEO PACKAGE/PROMO- great!
And they even explained their name!

KENNY WILLIAMS VS. AMIR JORDAN VIDEO PACKAGE- great!

GALLUS vs. SYMBIOSIS (Eddie Dennis, T-Bone & Primate)- 6.75/10
A fine brawl. Gallus won clean.

This was a good episode of NXT UK, though I am still quite disappointed that they didn’t give Valkyrie and Satomura more time. That match also felt a lot bigger than the six-man tag main event.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3