BRM Reviews the 4/17/2019 NXT

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 4/17/2019 NXT

Post by Big Red Machine » Apr 17th, '19, 23:19

While I mostly love the new opening video, that bit in the beginning where they’re doing the West Side Story thing needs to end.

NXT NORTH AMERICAN TITLE MATCH: The Velveteen Dream(c) vs. Buddy Murphy- 8.25/10
Two of the best big match wrestlers in WWE do not disappoint.

WAR RAIDERS/STREET PROFITS STUFF- okay
The Street Profits were going to go see Regal but War Raiders came out of Regal’s office and said they already talked to Regal about a match between them and Regal approved it. Hanson told them to “be careful what you wish for.”

JOHNNY GARGANO PROMO & SEGMENT WITH UNDISPUTED ERA- AWESOME!
There is about an 80/20 split between people chanting “YOU DESERVE IT!” and people responding “NO YOU DON’T!” Can we PLEASE get some “NO YOU DON’T!” chants to shout down some of the dumber “YOU DESERVE IT!” chants on the main roster?
Gargano started to talk but was quickly interrupted by three quarters of Undisputed Era (Roddy was missing). Cole cut a GREAT heel promo saying that Gargano’s win was B.S. because he won the first fall, and thus, if their match had been a normal match, he would be the champion. EXCELLENT heel logic.
They had a great back and forth designed for Gargano to get the better of it. He challenged Cole to come fight him right now, so Cole headed towards the ring… and Fish & O’Reilly followed him. And while Gargano was focused on them, Roddy came in from the crowd and nailed him with a flying knee, leading to a UE beat-down.

KUSHIDA DEBUTS IN TWO WEEKS- cool

AARON FRYE vs. DOMINIK DIJAKOVIC- no rating, AWESOME one-move squash.

DOMINIK DIJAKOVIC PROMO- meh
The fans are all chanting for Keith Lee. Unfortunately for them Dijakovic’s eye are set on the North American Championship, so he tells The Velveteen Dream to feast his eyes on him.

CATHY KELLEY INTERVIEWS UNDISPUTED ERA- Cole tells Cathy that while it might have looked like there was dissension between them but there really isn’t because they don’t let their emotions control them. Regal showed up and said he had just finished talking with Gargano. Cole assumed that Gargano wanted a match against him, but Regal revealed that Gargano actually wanted a match against Roderick Strong.

VANESSA BOURNE & ALIYAH PROMO- a very good “heels making an excuse for losing” promo and they dare Candice LeRae to find herself a partner to wrestle them next week.

LAST CHANCE MATCH FOR THE NXT WOMEN’S TITLE: Shayna Baszler(c) (the Horsewomen) vs. Kairi Sane- 7/10
The match was great in and of itself, but I really liked the finish, which saw us unsure if Kairi would be able to continue but Baszler dragged her back into the ring and set up the Dakota Breaker Elbow Stomp (that’s what I’m calling it, anyway) so Io Shirai ran in and shoved Baszler, causing a DQ. Then, just because they’re horrible people, Marina and Jessamyn yanked Io out of the ring and held her in place while Baszler hit the move on Kairi anyway. This was great in a vacuum, but unfortunately, we’ll see Kairi this Tuesday on Smackdown, not selling this devastating maneuver one bit.

Another great episode of NXT. I’m really looking forward to the announced matches for the next few weeks.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

KILLdozer

Re: BRM Reviews the 4/17/2019 NXT

Post by KILLdozer » Apr 18th, '19, 11:44

Yeah that whole thing seems like a rare NXT mistake...just a forced sendoff for Kairi Sane. I guess I was kinda right about them keeping Io Shirai...since she obviously has more left to do down there...
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Apr 18th, '19, 12:10

I mean...it works and Io Shirai is going to KILL THEM, and it'll be worth it to see...but it's almost like a non-kayfabe write-off.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Apr 18th, '19, 15:06

Wasn't this the week we were supposed to see Dijakovic v Lee? Or is my brain mushing weeks together?

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Apr 18th, '19, 15:13

Serujuunin wrote: Apr 18th, '19, 15:06 Wasn't this the week we were supposed to see Dijakovic v Lee? Or is my brain mushing weeks together?
Lee is hurt, idk if the match is taped or not

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Apr 18th, '19, 19:44

cero2k wrote: Apr 18th, '19, 15:13
Serujuunin wrote: Apr 18th, '19, 15:06 Wasn't this the week we were supposed to see Dijakovic v Lee? Or is my brain mushing weeks together?
Lee is hurt, idk if the match is taped or not
Ooooh I missed that.

Watching NXT on the internet instead of episodic like on TV apparently makes me just mush time all together and I lose track of things.