What's Become of WWE's Tag Team Division?

Tell it to the world!!
Bob-O

What's Become of WWE's Tag Team Division?

Post by Bob-O » Feb 9th, '11, 09:56

For years it's been widely discussed that WWE's Tag Team Division is a joke. The days of The Hart Foundation, The Legion of Doom, The Headshrinkers... those days are long gone. With rumors breaking this week that WWE is considering breaking up their last remaining proper team (The Usos), my gears began to turn. Why? Why has this division that's so rich with history and great matches gone to complete shambles? The answer came to me quickly, and I feel inclined to share. It's simple, and the cause of most of life's issues.

Money.

WWE is a publicly traded company. Long story short, like any company, it all comes down to the bottom line. It all comes down to profit and growth. 'Cause if you're not growing you're dying - not exactly something people would be interested in investing in. While they're not going anywhere anytime soon, WWE is the latter. They've been putting up some poor numbers compared to years past. "The industry is on a downswing", "the economy's bad", "we've lost a lot of high profile talent", blah blah blah - it doesn't matter, excuses are like buttholes. What are you doing about it?

WWE has provided many solutions to the stock holder. Sure, Pay Per View buys are down, but they still MAKE money so we're putting on more of them. Ratings are down, but we're restructuring - we've gone PG, so think of the big picture. In 10 years we'll be booming again, it's in your best interest to ride this out but it's gonna take time. These are the warm and fuzzy public answers. We're also seeing things behind the scenes that aren't so great, but in the best interest of the company. High turnover in the locker room, for example. Instead of resigning guys that aren't "Sure Things", it's more cost effective to let them go and replace them with guys from developmental working for less money. Then there's tag teams.

In terms of being cost effective, why would you pay two guys to do the work of one? I'm talking about drawing and merchandise sales. Perfect case scenario, would be The Rockers. Obviously, Shawn Micheals made WWE a ton more money than The Rockers ever could have if they remained intact. The Hart Foundation would fit this "in a perfect world" scenario as well. On a smaller scale, let's look at The Headbangers. Together they were successful to a degree. After the split, Thrasher was thrown to the wolves as a jobber and later released while Mosh was repackaged as Chaz/Beaver Cleavage. While Chaz's singles career didn't take off, in terms of profitability WWE(F) won. Chaz was just as profitable as The Headbangers, but they were only paying one guy to attain these results. More recently there's the Dudebusters. It's much more cost effective to just write a paycheck out to Trent Barretta and get the same results on paper.

Breaking up a team is typically a low risk move with a few exceptions. WWE(F) wound up reforming The Dudley Boyz, as the split was a disaster. The Legion of Doom was another team that obviously stood to make more money as a unit. I'd say the New Age Outlaws would be another.

This "Profit Mentality" explains why WWE's Tag Team Division has been comprised of singles stars in need of an angle for the last few years. There's absolutely NO risk involved. Sure there was ShowMiz and Jerishow, but they were never marketed as teams. The teams only served as exposure for these guys as singles talent. It was an excuse to get Miz exposure on Smackdown, and an excuse to get Jericho to pull double duty on both shows.

They've been phasing the division out for years now. Ultimately, I don't see them ever retiring the Tag Team Belts, as that would be counter productive with the fans - as well as publicly downsizing the company, which would make the stockholders nervous. However, with absolutely no tag team division to start with, I don't foresee WWE featuring a proper tag team scene ever again. They'd need at least four teams, and it goes back to my point. It will never be profitable to pay 8 guys to bring results that could be achieved by paying 4.
Thanks For Reading! I'll See You In The Threads!
Bob-O

Big Red Machine

Re: What's Become of WWE's Tag Team Division?

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 9th, '11, 10:07

And interesting explanation that I had never considered. While I see the logic behind it, most of the guys who WWE puts into its random tag teams are much more likely to sell merch as a tag team that as individuals. No one will honestly buy a Trent Baretta shirt, but people will buy "DUDEBUSTERS!" shirts.

Also, when you think of how much money the Dudleys and the Hardys made off of merch back in the day, it begs the question: why not try it again.

Also, the thing that bothers me is: Why randomly hotshot the belts around? Just leave them on a good team for a nice long reign, and let THAT make you a new star tag team of guys who probably won't sell two much merch on their own (again: the Dudebusters, Archer & Hawkins, etc)?

And third, SIGN THE DARK CITY FIGHT CLUB! Just have them be badass monster tweeners and have them kill everyone. That will sell merch, especially to the smarkier fans.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Aggro

Post by Aggro » Feb 9th, '11, 11:49

That's an interesting point you make Bob. What has happened to tag team wrestling in WWE is such a shame, for whatever reason.

A personal opinion of mine is that WWE just don't give new teams enough time to develop. Look at the Hardy's and the Dudley Boys. They started out quite shaky at first, but gradually made slight changes and became huge. Nowadays the teams are hardly out of developmental and they're getting kicked out the door.

ECWFlairfan

Post by ECWFlairfan » Feb 9th, '11, 11:57

Aggro wrote:That's an interesting point you make Bob. What has happened to tag team wrestling in WWE is such a shame, for whatever reason.

A personal opinion of mine is that WWE just don't give new teams enough time to develop. Look at the Hardy's and the Dudley Boys. They started out quite shaky at first, but gradually made slight changes and became huge. Nowadays the teams are hardly out of developmental and they're getting kicked out the door.
Sorry, I don't see the Hardys or Dudleys as shaky ever... even though the Hardys started out jobbing to the other teams they were still exciting to watch...

Aggro

Post by Aggro » Feb 9th, '11, 12:04

ECWFlairfan wrote:
Aggro wrote:That's an interesting point you make Bob. What has happened to tag team wrestling in WWE is such a shame, for whatever reason.

Sorry, I don't see the Hardys or Dudleys as shaky ever... even though the Hardys started out jobbing to the other teams they were still exciting to watch...
Yeah, because the New Brood was a great success and stutterring Buh Buh was a hit with WWF fans too.

ECWFlairfan

Post by ECWFlairfan » Feb 9th, '11, 12:28

Aggro wrote:
ECWFlairfan wrote:

Yeah, because the New Brood was a great success and stutterring Buh Buh was a hit with WWF fans too.
In the ring, they were exciting to watch... ANd the stuttering Buh Buh was a way to destroy the Dudleys in my opinion...& it backfired...

Aggro

Post by Aggro » Feb 9th, '11, 12:37

ECWFlairfan wrote: In the ring, they were exciting to watch... ANd the stuttering Buh Buh was a way to destroy the Dudleys in my opinion...& it backfired...
In the ring they were good, I don't dispute that. But in the Hardy's case, first they were teamed with Michael Hayes, then became the New Brood. It wasn't until they broke free of those scenario's that they REALLY got over.

When you say "Destroy the Dudleys" how do you mean, that WWE wanted to destroy them?

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 9th, '11, 12:38

ECWFlairfan wrote:
Aggro wrote:
In the ring, they were exciting to watch... ANd the stuttering Buh Buh was a way to destroy the Dudleys in my opinion...& it backfired...
1. Why would Vince sign a tag team simply to "destroy" them? He clearly didn't see ECW as a threat, or else he wouldn't have given them either money or TV time. And either way, what value would there be for Vince in "destroying" the Dudleys, then paying them money for years to sit around and not make him any money in return... when he could just let them do their thing and MAKE MONEY off of them.

2. Hate to burst your bubble of McMahon-hatred, but the stuttering started way back in ECW when the character first debuted.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Aggro

Post by Aggro » Feb 9th, '11, 12:40

Big Red Machine wrote:2. Hate to burst your bubble of McMahon-hatred, but the stuttering started way back in ECW when the character first debuted.
That's what I was gonna point out.

ECWFlairfan

Post by ECWFlairfan » Feb 9th, '11, 12:48

Big Red Machine wrote:In the ring, they were exciting to watch... ANd the stuttering Buh Buh was a way to destroy the Dudleys in my opinion...& it backfired...
1. Why would Vince sign a tag team simply to "destroy" them? He clearly didn't see ECW as a threat, or else he wouldn't have given them either money or TV time. And either way, what value would there be for Vince in "destroying" the Dudleys, then paying them money for years to sit around and not make him any money in return... when he could just let them do their thing and MAKE MONEY off of them.[/quote]

Same reason he signed former NWA World champions in the 80s just to job them out mostly. I didn't say his thinking maked sense its just his thinking in my opinion
Big Red Machine" wrote:2. Hate to burst your bubble of McMahon-hatred, but the stuttering started way back in ECW when the character first debuted.
I knew that. Making Bubba do it in WWE was stupid for that very reason.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 9th, '11, 13:03

ECWFlairfan wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:
ECWFlairfan wrote:In the ring, they were exciting to watch... ANd the stuttering Buh Buh was a way to destroy the Dudleys in my opinion...& it backfired...
1. Why would Vince sign a tag team simply to "destroy" them? He clearly didn't see ECW as a threat, or else he wouldn't have given them either money or TV time. And either way, what value would there be for Vince in "destroying" the Dudleys, then paying them money for years to sit around and not make him any money in return... when he could just let them do their thing and MAKE MONEY off of them.
Same reason he signed former NWA World champions in the 80s just to job them out mostly. I didn't say his thinking maked sense its just his thinking in my opinion
Who did Vince sign just to job out?
Dusty?-He feuded with two of the biggest heels in the company (and the gimmick & polka dots were Dusty's idea)

Terry & Dory Funk?- what is wrong with having two guys in their forties put over young talent?

Harley Race?- not jobbed out

Ron Garvin?- the only reason he won the belt in the first place was because the booker at the time (Dusty, I think)
wanted Flair to win the belt at Starrcade, so Flair dropped it to Garvin just so he could win it back (and Garvin wasn't even the first choice for this spot. Other guys declined because they didn't want to be interim champions.

Kerry Von Erich?- not jobbed out in the beginning, and only won the NWA World Title because David died (David was actually booked to win the belt).

ECWFlairfan wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:2. Hate to burst your bubble of McMahon-hatred, but the stuttering started way back in ECW when the character first debuted.
I knew that. Making Bubba do it in WWE was stupid for that very reason.
Why was it stupid? Because it worked somewhere else?

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

ECWFlairfan

Post by ECWFlairfan » Feb 9th, '11, 13:35

Big Red Machine wrote:Who did Vince sign just to job out?
Dusty?-He feuded with two of the biggest heels in the company (and the gimmick & polka dots were Dusty's idea)

Terry & Dory Funk?- what is wrong with having two guys in their forties put over young talent?

Harley Race?- not jobbed out

Ron Garvin?- the only reason he won the belt in the first place was because the booker at the time (Dusty, I think)
wanted Flair to win the belt at Starrcade, so Flair dropped it to Garvin just so he could win it back (and Garvin wasn't even the first choice for this spot. Other guys declined because they didn't want to be interim champions.

Kerry Von Erich?- not jobbed out in the beginning, and only won the NWA World Title because David died (David was actually booked to win the belt).

They never reached any higher than mid card though, all of them should have been booked as major contenders for the WWF World title & if not achieved at least came VERY close... not being satisfied with the I-C title, or King of the Ring, or dancing with a fan who no one ever heard of & most likely couldn't name now... As far as other guys turning down the opportunity to be NWA World champion, even if it was for a couple months is stupid...ITS THE NWA WORLD TITLE... the lineage that includes Dusty Rhodes, Ric Flair, Lou Thesz, Harley Race, Dory & Terry Funk, Frank Gotch, & George Hackenschmidt... Ronnie Garvin may not have done much else but he is listed in immortality among these great names.
Big Red Machine wrote:Why was it stupid? Because it worked somewhere else?
This was something that in kayfabe shouldn't work twice... I am personally tired of these organizations (primarily WWE & TNA) take wrestlers that aren't already superstars (aka Sting, Kurt Angle, Hogan, Flair) & rename/remake them like we have never heard of them. If they are under a mask where they weren't before fine, but the Young Bucks got over as the Young Bucks...don't rename them... (Low Ki is another glaring example... he is Low Ki, not Senshi or Kaval... that is so stupid)

Aggro

Post by Aggro » Feb 9th, '11, 13:49

ECWFlairfan wrote:This was something that in kayfabe shouldn't work twice... I am personally tired of these organizations (primarily WWE & TNA) take wrestlers that aren't already superstars (aka Sting, Kurt Angle, Hogan, Flair) & rename/remake them like we have never heard of them. If they are under a mask where they weren't before fine, but the Young Bucks got over as the Young Bucks...don't rename them... (Low Ki is another glaring example... he is Low Ki, not Senshi or Kaval... that is so stupid)
Kaval did actually debut in WWE as Low Ki around ten or so years ago, but thats going off topic I guess.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 9th, '11, 14:02

ECWFlairfan wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:Why was it stupid? Because it worked somewhere else?
This was something that in kayfabe shouldn't work twice... I am personally tired of these organizations (primarily WWE & TNA) take wrestlers that aren't already superstars (aka Sting, Kurt Angle, Hogan, Flair) & rename/remake them like we have never heard of them. If they are under a mask where they weren't before fine, but the Young Bucks got over as the Young Bucks...don't rename them... (Low Ki is another glaring example... he is Low Ki, not Senshi or Kaval... that is so stupid)[/quote]

In kayfabe, the thinking of non-indies has always been that nothing else exists. Hell... WWF barely acknowledged WCW ad visa-versa, and when they did, it was only to take shots at the other.

For a lot of these things in the last eight years or so, renaming has been more of a merchandising thing. Kevin Nash and Scott Hall used their real names when they went to WCW so they would always have the rights to their likenesses. Low Ki changed his name to Senshi in TNA because he was told that if he wrestled there as Low Ki, he would have to let TNA trademark it and own the name and the likeness. Senshi and Kaval were both names picked out by Ki so he wouldn't have to lose the rights to the ring name he was most fond of.

I agree that it is dumb, but this merchandise does a lot towards keeping promotions in business, so I am fine with it.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Feb 9th, '11, 20:19

Big Red Machine wrote: No one will honestly buy a Trent Baretta shirt, but people will buy "DUDEBUSTERS!" shirts.
Sure, people will buy them, but what's the return on the investment? The cost of producing the shirts remains constant. If they put any sort of marketing push behind Baretta, he would only have to sell HALF as many shirts to remain just as profitable because we're taking Croft's payroll out of the equasion.
Big Red Machine wrote:Also, when you think of how much money the Dudleys and the Hardys made off of merch back in the day, it begs the question: why not try it again.
Because that's FOUR guys that took YEARS to push to the level of being profitable. The WWF was in great financial shape back then. They could put that same effort into TWO guys and post the extra money strait to the bottom line of the Profit and Loss Statement. It's more economical in times when they're desperate for a Shareholders Meeting that doesn't involve them defending themselves.
Big Red Machine wrote:SIGN THE DARK CITY FIGHT CLUB! Just have them be badass monster tweeners and have them kill everyone. That will sell merch, especially to the smarkier fans.
I'd mark out like I just unwrapped a Super Nintendo on Christmas Morning. DCFC is one of those teams that's definitely more profitable as a unit.
Aggro wrote:A personal opinion of mine is that WWE just don't give new teams enough time to develop.
I think you're absolutely right, and it proves my point that it's about the money. If WWE didn't care about the division, they wouldn't be teasing teams like The Dudebusters, Hawkins and Archer, and The Usos. They were all formed with the best intentions, but I think it all goes out the window when WWE takes a look at the Earnings Statement. Singles wrestling is just more profitable.

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Feb 9th, '11, 20:34

With the way things are right now, I realistically see the belts headed back to Slater and Gabriel. A few weeks ago, I'd have said Harris and McGulicutty, but WWE apparently hates Husky Harris. Anyway, with a rumored Wrestlemania showdown, the tag titles would allow The Corre to appear on Raw (even though Del Rio has all but erased that boundary), and it'd be a great thing for the factions to feud over, instead of just a turf war. The Titles need some serious help after this Santino/Kozlov reign.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 9th, '11, 21:50

Bob-O wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote: No one will honestly buy a Trent Baretta shirt, but people will buy "DUDEBUSTERS!" shirts.
Sure, people will buy them, but what's the return on the investment? The cost of producing the shirts remains constant. If they put any sort of marketing push behind Baretta, he would only have to sell HALF as many shirts to remain just as profitable because we're taking Croft's payroll out of the equasion.
But you lose the market of tag team wrestling fans. Some people like tag team wrestling a lot more, and thus, are more likely to buy a Dudebusters sirt than a Trent Barretta shirt. Also, it is easier for the Dudebusters to get over (and thus sell more merch) because there aren't as many tag teams. Trent Barretta is one of fifty singles wrestlers.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Feb 10th, '11, 07:50

Big Red Machine wrote: But you lose the market of tag team wrestling fans. Some people like tag team wrestling a lot more, and thus, are more likely to buy a Dudebusters sirt than a Trent Barretta shirt. Also, it is easier for the Dudebusters to get over (and thus sell more merch) because there aren't as many tag teams. Trent Barretta is one of fifty singles wrestlers.
lol If WWE had a share of the Tag Team Fanbase, I'm sure they lost them somewhere in between the split of The Hart Dynasty and the crowning of Santino and Kozlov... :p

I see what you're saying in terms of it being easier to get over. My theory also loses some weight when you consider all of the Divas that they have on payroll that receive little to no push.