BRM's Ongoing Mae Young Classic Review

All WWE/F Related Reviews and Discussions
Big Red Machine

BRM's Ongoing Mae Young Classic Review

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 28th, '17, 20:40

FIRST-ROUND MATCH: Princesa Sugehit vs. Kay Lee Ray- 6/10
Princesa Sugehit’s video package was frustratingly generic garbage. Kay Lee Ray’s was fine. The match itself was a fun little outing. The story was simply two women trying to win a match, with a bit of veteran vs. young punk thrown in.

FIRST-ROUND MATCH: Serena Deeb vs. Vanessa Borne- 5.5/10
Borne’s video package was good. Deeb’s was excellent, and immediately makes her someone I have a vested interest in seeing win. Her video package also featured footage of CM Punk, which is almost certainly the first time he’s been seen on WWE TV in about three years.
The story of this match was Borne dominating on offense but Deep refused to quit and always kept kicking out. Deeb did a good job of carrying Borne with her selling, and came back to get the win the spear.

FIRST-ROUND MATCH: Zeda vs. Shayna Baszler- 4.5/10 (but excellent for the time it got)
Both video packages were very good. Baszler has that slightly arrogant “I think I’m such a star that I can be totally casual about everything” vibe going on. It works really well for her. We are shown some of the other Horsewomen-specifically Ronda and Marina- sitting in the front row to cheer Baszler on. J.R. assures us that Jessamyn Duke is there, too, which I guess means that even though she is right there next to Ronda, she has still somehow been cut out of the shot. There’s some sort of joke about art imitating life to be made here, but it might well just be life here, too, and Jessamyn just has sh*tty luck.
Anyway… GRAPPLEF*CK FOR THE WIN! Also, Baszler for the win. This match was short, but was perfect for what it was intended to do, which was make Baszler look like someone who can dominate a fight and yet also pull out a win at any moment.

FIRST-ROUND MATCH: Abbey Laith vs. Jazzy Gabert- 6.25/10
Good videos for both women. J.R. mentions CHIKARA for possibly the first time in WWE history. They portrayed Gabert as the big, scary monster, but then they just beat her. The match was good, but the booking was kind of odd, unless, of course, Jazzy told them she wouldn’t sign.

A fun show from WWE. I was ambivalent about this going in because the success of WWE’s various women’s divisions means that I haven’t felt starved for good women’s wrestling the way I would have a few years ago, but this show reminded me what was so enjoyable about the Cruiserweight Classic and has definitely gotten me hyped up for this tournament.

STUPID ANNOUNCER QUOTES:
1. Jim Ross- “The format is very unique: single elimination.”
I guess J.R. thinks “unique” is a synonym for “common.” He also explained how a single elimination tournament works via an atrocious Mike Tenay-esque word salad instead of simply saying “winner advances, loser goes home” or something like that.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Big Red Machine

Re: BRM's Ongoing Mae Young Classic Review

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 30th, '17, 23:16

FIRST-ROUND MATCH: Xia Li vs. Mercedes Martinez- 5.25/10
This was Xia Li’s very first match. No pressure.
Lita’s commentary about Xia Li was pathetically generic. Ross was much better, but he needs to stop referring to pro wrestling as a “genre.” Within the world of kayfabe, it’s not. It’s a sport. Just like the other martial arts that Xia has won tournaments in.
Li looked quite good for someone having her first professional match. Mercedes is always good.

FIRST-ROUND MATCH: Rachel Evers vs. Marti Belle- 2/10
They immediately stooged off that she is Paul Ellering’s daughter… so why isn’t she Rachel Ellering then? Wasn’t the whole point of her switching her last name to Evers when Paul showed up to hide the fact that she is his daughter?
I thought this was match was really boring. Marti Belle is occasionally entertaining as a character, but brings very little in the ring, and Rachel doesn’t seem far enough along yet to work through such harsh limitations.

HUNTER GIVES THE COMPETITORS A PEP-TALK- Sara Del Rey sighting!

FIRST-ROUND MATCH: Rhia Ripley vs. Miranda Salinas- 4.25/10
Rhia Ripley came off extremely annoying in her video package, so now I have someone to root against, which will make me give a sh*t about this match. Unfortunately Ripley won. Then again, I guess not having another five-footer around is best possible outcome for Alexa Bliss!, so I’ll accept it.

FIRST-ROUND MATCH: Mia Yim vs. Sarah Logan- 6.25/10
Mia Yim’s video package was good, but Sarah Logan’s was excellent. That being said, she’s not as good as Mia Yim, and also I haven’t forgiven her for kneeing Alexa Bliss! in the face that one time, so I’m rooting for Mia here.
Um… did anyone else hear J.R. refer to Tajiri as “the handsome Tajiri?” Because I’m certain that’s what I heard.
Could we really not think of a better finisher for Mia than Eat Defeat? How about one of her excellent German Suplexes?

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 3rd, '17, 03:04

FIRST-ROUND MATCH: Toni Storm vs. Ayesha Raymond- 5/10
Toni Storm needs to lose that stupid little hat immediately. Also, why would you bring sunglasses down to the ring but not wear them?
Raymond refused Toni’s handshake, but Toni took it all in stride. The match was good for what it was. Raymond distracted herself with the fans and thus Storm was able to roll her up for the win.

SARA DEL REY SIGHTING! She’s in the front row, and they made a big deal of showing her too us. It also occurred to me while seeing her here that it has now been over five years since I’ve seen Sara wrestle a match.

FIRST-ROUND MATCH: Kavita Devi vs. Dakota Kai- 5.5/10
Kavita Devi’s whole gimmick is that she is Indian… and she didn’t mention Jinder Mahal once, instantly earning her my favor. The match was pretty short (cagematch.net says 3:56, but I can’t possibly believe that is correct. It felt much longer), but they did an excellent job telling their story, which was that Devi was let her strength advantage and the early success that it brought her go to her head and she got cocky and too long to follow up on her moves, which created an opportunity for Kai to capitalize and win

FIRST-ROUND MATCH: Sage Beckett vs. Bianca Belair- 4/10
We’ve got a woman who hits others with her hair against some sort of new age generic store-brand Wiccan. Sage Beckett the “I’m not a witch; I’m a shaman” woman, is the former Andrea. J.R. keeps referring to these two as “young ladies.” Beckett is thirty-two. Neither woman was impressive in this match in any real way. Bianca “she swings her hair” Belair got the win with a spear.

FIRST-ROUND MATCH: Piper Niven vs. Santana Garrett- 6/10
I’m usually a champion of all white-meat babyfaces, but I found Santana to be extremely annoying. I was liking Piper Niven up until the point where she talked about liking to “have fun” in the ring in her video package. I know that she said that winning was more important, but WWE’s constant pushing of “having fun” has made any mention of “having fun” in the ring sound like nails on a chalkboard to me.
Never mind that last part. After seeing her in the ring for thirty seconds I realized that her size and smiley-ness makes her feel like Carmen from GLOW come to life, and I instantly like her again. She feels pretty one-dimensional in the ring, but gosh darn it does she use that dimension well. They had a good little big-woman vs. little-woman match here, and Piper won, so no more Santana Garrett! Hooray!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 3rd, '17, 17:43

FIRST-ROUND MATCH: Candice LeRae vs. Renee Michelle- 4.75/10
In their attempts to make this tournament feel more international, WWE has been sticking foreign flags in front of people even if they were born in the USA but happen to have parents from elsewhere. Well now we have Candice, and honest to God born in Canada Canadian... and they tell us she’s from Anaheim and stick an American flag next to her name.
Renee’s video package was painfully generic. For Candice they just went ahead addressed the elephant in the room, laying out for us that she is Johnny Gargano’s wife, but she is here to succeed on her own merits.
The match was good for the time it got. Candice won with a swinging neckbreaker from the top rope that is apparently called “Mrs. LeRae’s Wild Ride,” which I assume is intended to be a reference to Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride at Disneyland in her adopted home of Anaheim… but it was only after they called it this that I noticed that this is the same exacted maneuver as Joey Ryan’s Mustache Ride.

ALEXA BLISS! IS IN THE CROWD- and there is Izzy right next to her. It’s a good thing Nia Jax hurt Bayley’s arm because it limits the amount of self-harm Bayley will be able to do to herself upon seeing this.

FIRST-ROUND MATCH: Lacey Evans vs. Taynara Conti- 4.25/10
Lacey Evans is a classic example of how you can totally kill someone with bad ring gear. All of this legitimately badass stuff she did in the Marines just does not register to me whenever I see her in the ring because of someone’s inexplicable decision to have her wrestle in what appears to be a “sexy sailor” Halloween costume. Now this Taynara Conti woman on the other hand. She came off as a total badass in her video package.
Lacey did some stuff and it wasn’t all terrible or anything, but what I really wanted to see coming out of this match was more of Taynara Conti using her Judo to throw other people around. Unfortunately I’ll have to wait a while for that because Lacey Evans won this match.

FIRST-ROUND MATCH: Reina Gonzalez vs. Nicole Savoy- 4/10
Good video packages for both women. The match was very enjoyable for the time it got, but I don’t remember seeing many (if any) suplexes out of the so-called “Queen of Suplexes” Nicole Savoy.

FIRST-ROUND MATCH: Kairi Sane vs. Tessa Blanchard- 7/10
Tessa’s video package was fine. Kairi’s was great, aside from the random shots of her dressed up as some sort of… really gaudy pirate. Why does she have to be a f*cking pirate and carry a G-d damn ship’s steering wheel to the ring? I don’t care if she is a shoot yachtswoman. That doesn’t mean that has to be her gimmick! Why can’t she just be an athlete with tons of babyface charisma?
This was easily the best match of the first round, with good babyface vs. heel dynamics, good psychology (and props to the announcers for building up the elbow for those who might not be familiar with Kairi’s work in Japan) and an absolutely beautiful diving elbow drop finish to pay it all off.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » Sep 5th, '17, 00:25

Kairi Sane is to me what Alexa Bliss is to you. Enough said.
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Sep 5th, '17, 09:26

NWK2000 wrote: Sep 5th, '17, 00:25 Kairi Sane is to me what Alexa Bliss is to you. Enough said.
Oh just ban this guy already! Lol
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » Sep 5th, '17, 10:56

KILLdozer wrote: Sep 5th, '17, 09:26
NWK2000 wrote: Sep 5th, '17, 00:25 Kairi Sane is to me what Alexa Bliss is to you. Enough said.
What the hell did I do lol

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 5th, '17, 11:18

NWK2000 wrote: Sep 5th, '17, 10:56
You blasphemed by attempting to compare your mere appreciation of Kairi Sane to my fandom of Alexa Bliss!.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » Sep 5th, '17, 12:08

Big Red Machine wrote: Sep 5th, '17, 11:18

You blasphemed by attempting to compare your mere appreciation of Kairi Sane to my fandom of Alexa Bliss!.
At least I didn;t nick the exclamation point after her name lol

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 5th, '17, 12:42

NWK2000 wrote: Sep 5th, '17, 12:08
Big Red Machine wrote: Sep 5th, '17, 11:18

At least I didn;t nick the exclamation point after her name lol
You were thinking of it. I can tell.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 7th, '17, 00:16

SECOND-ROUND MATCH: Abbey Laith vs. Rachel Evers- 5.75/10
I could swear that during the opening voiceover, Mauro claimed that Abbey Laith was a protégé of Mae Young’s. Also, apparently Rachel Evers’ number one supporter is Kassius Ohno. Are they just making sh*t up now? I’m going to file this claim that the Alligator Clutch was Mae Young’s finisher under this category as well. I can find no record of that on the internet.
J.R. was having quite the bad night, as not only did he forget which city Lance Storm’s Storm Wrestling Academy was in (hint: it’s Calgary… Albert, Canada), but he- JIM ROSS, who has called more Stone Cold Stunners than any other announcer- miscalled an Ace Crusher as a Stunner.
They told a good story of Abbey using speed and technique to defeat her more powerful foe, and Laith picked up her second win against a larger opponent with the Alligator Clutch, so they’re setting up their narrative of Mae’s protégé using Mae’s finisher in the tournament dedicated to Mae’s legacy (though as I said above, I’m skeptical about how real the connection is).

SECOND-ROUND MATCH: Piper Niven vs. Serena Deeb- 6.25/10
This match more big vs. small than the last match’s “power vs. speed” feel. They had some very good nearfalls.

SECOND-ROUND MATCH: Mercedes Martinez vs. Princessa Sugehit- 6/10

SECOND-ROUND MATCH: Kairi Sane vs. Bianca Belair- 7.25/10
Belair is better than I gave her credit for in the first round and Kairi Hojo is Kairo Hojo, so this was pretty great. I think Kairi might have pretty much landed on Bianca’s face with that elbow drop.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 7th, '17, 22:32

SECOND-ROUND MATCH: Toni Storm vs. Lacey Evans- 5/10
Evans looked better than she ever has before. The story here, small as it was, was that both women at one point or another got punished for showing off instead of following up, and in Evans’ case it cost her the match.

SECOND-ROUND MATCH: Mia Yim vs. Shayne Baszler- 6.75/10
What crazy person made the call for these two to not be the main event tonight and get main event time?

They did a thing after the match where the actual Four Horsewomen and the NXT Four Horsewomen (minus Sasha, who wasn’t there for some reason) made gestures at each other from across the aisle. The problem is that I’m not even anywhere close to believing that we’ll see anything actually happen between them.

SECOND-ROUND MATCH: Rhea Ripley vs. Dakota Kai- 6.75/10
Holy sh*t that face-bump into the apron! A great underdog showing from Dakota Kai. Ripley was good, too, but Kai definitely has some top babyface potential in her. Unfortunately for her, there are three women in the tournament who are even better babyfaces that she is (Sane, Laith, and LeRae).

SECOND-ROUND MATCH: Candice LeRae vs. Nicole Savoy- 6/10
Standard Candice LeRae babyface match. She gives Johnny Gargano a hug at ringside after the match. In any other company in the world, she would be getting powerbomed by Tommaso Ciampa at some point in the future and it would be biggest heel spot of the year.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 8th, '17, 10:01

QUARTER-FINAL MATCH: Abbey Laith vs. Mercedes Martinez- 7/10
Mercedes picks up the win, which was quite shocking when you consider the way they’ve been building Abbey Laith up as a Mae Young protégé using Mae Young’s Alligator Clutch (as I said above, I think both claims are dubious, but that has been the story). It’s also weird because Abbey has been under WWE contract for most of a year now, whereas Mercedes, to my knowledge, isn’t, and the only logical reason to have held off on using Abbey in NXT for so long when it is in such desperate need of talent is that they wanted her to have a really deep run in this tournament.

QUARTER-FINAL MATCH: Candice LeRae vs. Shayna Baszler- 5/10
Don’t let the rating fool you: this was excellent for the time it got. They spent 99% of this match making you think that Candice’s seemingly impossible upset victory was actually possible, then Baszler counter Mrs. LeRae’s Wild Ride into her submission finisher and Candice had to tap out.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- interesting.
Baszler kept the hold on for a while afterwards. This served the dual purposes of making Baszler even more of an overt heel than she has been so far in the tournament, and it also let us get several shots of Johnny Gargano looking very concerned, which helps make their relationship feel more real for whatever inevitable thing that someone will do to one of them to get at the other.

QUARTER-FINAL MATCH: Piper Niven vs. Toni Storm- 6.5/10
Another good big-woman vs. little-woman match.

HORSEWOMEN VS. HORSEWOMAN STAND-OFF- this started with Ronda, Jessamyn, and Marina giving an interview about Baszler, but Charlotte, Bayley, and Becky showed up just to have a stare-down. Like I said on the previous show, this does nothing for me simply because I don’t believe that anything will actually come of it.

QUARTER-FINAL MATCH: Kairi Sane vs. Dakota Kai- 6.75/10

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Sep 8th, '17, 12:01

Why are they constantly showing 4 horsewomen and 4 horsewomen, with only 6 women? And what's the hold up on putting Sasha into this? Lol

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 8th, '17, 12:30

KILLdozer wrote: Sep 8th, '17, 12:01 Why are they constantly showing 4 horsewomen and 4 horsewomen, with only 6 women? And what's the hold up on putting Sasha into this? Lol
Not sure, but it's definitely odd, especially because I'm almost certain that they showed her in the crowd earlier in the tournament.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Sep 8th, '17, 12:37

Big Red Machine wrote: Sep 8th, '17, 12:30
KILLdozer wrote: Sep 8th, '17, 12:01 Why are they constantly showing 4 horsewomen and 4 horsewomen, with only 6 women? And what's the hold up on putting Sasha into this? Lol
Not sure, but it's definitely odd, especially because I'm almost certain that they showed her in the crowd earlier in the tournament.
you gotta build to the 4-on-4 at the final show, you can't just give everyone the dessert before the entree. Sasha i think she did miss the whole thing. as to whether we'll get something out of this, it's supposed to be the thing UFC traded for that Lesnar/Jones match that is now not likely to happen, so I think WWE will really really push for this. I wanna say Survivor Series

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 8th, '17, 12:45

cero2k wrote: Sep 8th, '17, 12:37
Big Red Machine wrote: Sep 8th, '17, 12:30
you gotta build to the 4-on-4 at the final show, you can't just give everyone the dessert before the entree. Sasha i think she did miss the whole thing. as to whether we'll get something out of this, it's supposed to be the thing UFC traded for that Lesnar/Jones match that is now not likely to happen, so I think WWE will really really push for this. I wanna say Survivor Series
It would almost have to be Survivor Series because it would need to be a dual-branded show. I guess UFC doesn't really lose anything if anyone gets hurt because the only one actually under contract to them is Ronda and Ronda has all but said that she's done. It's also not impossible that the reason they've kept Sasha out of it is in case the UFC decides they don't want Ronda in the ring (I think at one point they told both Filthy Tom and Shayna Baszler they had to stop managing reDRagon, so I'm certain they can pull Ronda from a match where she is actually doing things where she might get hurt), then they can do the match as a three-on-three if need be, and with Ronda and Sasha at ringside.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Sep 8th, '17, 13:19

Big Red Machine wrote: Sep 8th, '17, 12:45
It would almost have to be Survivor Series because it would need to be a dual-branded show. I guess UFC doesn't really lose anything if anyone gets hurt because the only one actually under contract to them is Ronda and Ronda has all but said that she's done. It's also not impossible that the reason they've kept Sasha out of it is in case the UFC decides they don't want Ronda in the ring (I think at one point they told both Filthy Tom and Shayna Baszler they had to stop managing reDRagon, so I'm certain they can pull Ronda from a match where she is actually doing things where she might get hurt), then they can do the match as a three-on-three if need be, and with Ronda and Sasha at ringside.
same with Marina, it's been long enough since her baby was born, but i don't know if she's physically ready to do a match

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Sep 8th, '17, 13:31

3 on 3 with them at ringside isn't 4 horsewomen v horsewomen really though lol. Unless Sasha just superkicks Rousey right out, like Holly Holm did lol.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 8th, '17, 16:54

SEMI-FINAL MATCH: Mercedes Martinez vs. Shayna Baszler- 7/10
Baszler finally shakes hands. Why start now?
Either way, she picked up the win here in a great, extremely competitive, almost strong-style match.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- meh.
Hunter, Steph, and Death Rey all come out, and Hunter presents Baszler with the traditional celebratory roses. I don’t care if that’s the tradition in Japan. We really don’t need to be handing the women bouquets of roses after the match. It’s bad optics for what they’re trying to portray here.
And speaking of optics, Steph leeching up credit for the success of women’s wrestling in WWE over the past few years will always make me absolutely sick. If you want to give credit to someone other than the wrestlers themselves, give it to Hunter and Death Rey. They’re the ones that did the work. Steph is just a leech, and the only reason she is here is that WWE thinks it’s better optics for Steph to get credit for this because she happens to have the same reproductive parts as the wrestlers in question.

SEMI-FINAL MATCH: Kairi Sane vs. Toni Storm- 8/10
They had to show us Baszler watching from the back, just in case we’ve forgot that she won the other semi-final over the course of the past five minutes. The match was awesome, with the story being Toni Storm working over Kairi’s arm to try to prevent her from hitting the diving elbow drop but Kairi fought through the pain and hit her diving elbow drop and got the win.
We then got the same post-match ceremony. Seeing Steph at it made me vomit in my mouth a bit. Then we got a face-off between Sane and Baszler.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation