BRM Reviews the 8/23/2017 NXT

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 8/23/2017 NXT

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 24th, '17, 20:01

LARS SULLIVAN JUMPS NO WAY JOSE ON HIS WAY TO THE RING- this looked pretty good. I have no trouble believing that Sullivan is the sort of person who would get angry and viciously attack someone.

JOHNNY GARGANO PROMO- good babyface post-loss promo, taking responsibility for his failure and vowing to do better next time.

ASUKA “PRESS CONFERNCE” AFTER HER MATCH AT TAKEOVER- this was pretty dull, but I loved that they threw in one question in Japanese. I have no idea what was asked, or what she said in her response, but I liked the way that it made things feel more global.

PETE DUNNE & WOLFGANG INTERVIEW- Dunne was dull. Wolfgang (who is apparently Scottish and not German like you might assume) said that he wants a title shot and suggest that Dunne give him one if they win tonight. Dunne blew him off.

SARAH LOGAN vs. PEYTON ROYCE (w/Billie Kay)- 4.5/10
Peyton Royce has a new finisher. It’s a bridging fisherman’s suplex.

After a VERY long recap of everything, we’re getting a promo from Drew next week.

BOBBY ROODE BACKSTAGE AFTER LOSING THE TITLE- he’s going nuts. Roddy showed up and said “see you soon.”

BOBBY ROODE PROMO AFTER SMACKDOWN- he’s still sticking around NXT to take care of “unfinished business” which constitutes both Roderick Strong and getting his title back.

ALEISTER BLACK IGNORES A FLOCK OF REPORTERS- good. He doesn’t need to be talking yet.

PETE DUNNE & WOLFGANG vs. TYLER BATE & TRENT SEVEN- 6.75/10
Oh. Right. The WWE UK Division exists.
Fun match. Wolfgang gets the win so I guess he really will eventually be Dunne’s next real challenger.

A dull show from NXT, for the reasons that people have outlined other places on this forum: no real follow-up on the things from Takeover that people really want (and expect) follow-up on. Not even promos.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

KILLdozer

Re: BRM Reviews the 8/23/2017 NXT

Post by KILLdozer » Aug 25th, '17, 07:41

No, Royce has been using that Fisherman's bridge. You probably just never cared and it's been a minute since they've been in the ring lol.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Aug 25th, '17, 07:43

I guess the follow up thing is because, partly, there's A LOT going on in NXT. With A LOT of people. Not that they shouldn't have used some time to follow up, but maybe they were focusing on building new stuff instead.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 25th, '17, 07:52

KILLdozer wrote: Aug 25th, '17, 07:43 I guess the follow up thing is because, partly, there's A LOT going on in NXT. With A LOT of people. Not that they shouldn't have used some time to follow up, but maybe they were focusing on building new stuff instead.
Right, but the stuff they didn't follow up on was WAY too big to not follow up on on the first show.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Aug 25th, '17, 07:59

Oh who cares about your "Red Dragons"? Lol, I get that it was like , those guys got their ass kicked, they're not here, but where are the guys that kicked their ass? Lol.

Ember Moon failed in a major way, so it makes sense she didn't say or do anything. This Adrian Cole I've never seen, so whatever lol. I think that should cover it.

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » Aug 25th, '17, 08:21

Big Red Machine wrote: Aug 24th, '17, 20:01

A dull show from NXT, for the reasons that people have outlined other places on this forum: no real follow-up on the things from Takeover that people really want (and expect) follow-up on. Not even promos.
Because the matches were stuff taped at Barclay before Takeover. Any follow up would've spoiled angles. They've done this before for Takeover.
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Aug 25th, '17, 09:15

NWK2000 wrote: Aug 25th, '17, 08:21

Because the matches were stuff taped at Barclay before Takeover. Any follow up would've spoiled angles. They've done this before for Takeover.
it's bad storytelling. NXT should be taping between the PPV and this show, like I said in the other topic, even Impact gets this right

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 26th, '17, 22:15

cero2k wrote: Aug 25th, '17, 09:15
NWK2000 wrote: Aug 25th, '17, 08:21

it's bad storytelling. NXT should be taping between the PPV and this show, like I said in the other topic, even Impact gets this right
NXT is in a slightly different situation in that regard because they're trying to deliver a usual-length wrestling show out of a Takeover show that will only go 2:30, so they add in some TV matches to air afterwards to make the show hit a regular length and also to warm the crowd up. I have no problem with them taping matches before Takeover to be aired after it as long as they're not spoiling anything. The unforgivable crime here, IMO, is the lack of follow-up in promo form on the MAJOR storyline development from Takeover.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Aug 31st, '17, 07:50

Am I the only one who finds it a bit different or something that McIntyre is now NXT Champion? Just like he's out of place down there holding the title lol.

NXT is more debuting newer guys, he's been here before lol.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Aug 31st, '17, 09:00

KILLdozer wrote: Aug 31st, '17, 07:50 Am I the only one who finds it a bit different or something that McIntyre is now NXT Champion? Just like he's out of place down there holding the title lol.

to me NXT is more about talented guys with good writing, so he's ok. It's not like any of the previous champs have been rookies themselves.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Aug 31st, '17, 10:53

cero2k wrote: Aug 31st, '17, 09:00
KILLdozer wrote: Aug 31st, '17, 07:50 Am I the only one who finds it a bit different or something that McIntyre is now NXT Champion? Just like he's out of place down there holding the title lol.

to me NXT is more about talented guys with good writing, so he's ok. It's not like any of the previous champs have been rookies themselves.
Absolutely, I just feel like he should be in the main roster by now. I get he's getting back into the swing of things though, so whatever.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Aug 31st, '17, 11:03

KILLdozer wrote: Aug 31st, '17, 10:53

Absolutely, I just feel like he should be in the main roster by now. I get he's getting back into the swing of things though, so whatever.
considering his former 3MB mate is the world champ, then sure, he should be there too

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Aug 31st, '17, 11:53

cero2k wrote: Aug 31st, '17, 11:03
KILLdozer wrote: Aug 31st, '17, 10:53

considering his former 3MB mate is the world champ, then sure, he should be there too
At least McIntyre was always legitimate before that lol. I'm still just waiting for the end of that whole fiasco patiently. Nakamura probably defeats Orton then maybe this time he gets him .

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Aug 31st, '17, 12:35

KILLdozer wrote: Aug 31st, '17, 11:53

At least McIntyre was always legitimate before that lol. I'm still just waiting for the end of that whole fiasco patiently. Nakamura probably defeats Orton then maybe this time he gets him .
Dude, Slater was with The Nexus and Mahal is The Great Khali's brother in law, they were all legit when they started, hell, Slater's spotlight run lasted longer than the other two

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Aug 31st, '17, 12:41

cero2k wrote: Aug 31st, '17, 12:35
KILLdozer wrote: Aug 31st, '17, 11:53

Dude, Slater was with The Nexus and Mahal is The Great Khali's brother in law, they were all legit when they started, hell, Slater's spotlight run lasted longer than the other two
Oh yeah, I kind of forgot about the Corre and Nexus runs lol. So then what the hell happened with all three of them in the first place?