All Impact Wrestling (FKA TNA/GFW 2017) Reviews and Discussions
cero2k
Site Admin

GFW Impact Wrestling 7.20: El Patron Strikes Back

Post by cero2k » Jul 20th, '17, 20:06

GFW Impact Wrestling
July 20th, 2017
Orlando, FL

Recap was completely focused on the LAX vs Patron/Lashley angle from last week. They've also added DRAGO to the intro. Tonight we got two big multiman matches, Ki vs Sydal vs Fantasma and Drake vs ECIII vs Moose vs Edwards.

Guevara/DRAGO Vignettes - Guevara was good to in introducing himself. DRAGO did his in spanish, but with someone translating, who unfortunately lacked the charisma to cut a promo.

Super X Cup First Round Match
Sammy Guevara vs DRAGO - 6.5/10
Good match, but the crowd is kinda dead, not sure if they just have trouble following the match, or they're just not into it. Match was really fast paced, and while not really botched, there wasn't much chemistry between these guys. Sammy looked great, but at the end it was DRAGO who advances and goes against Desmond Xavier. Guevara vs Xavier would had been amazing.

There was a commercial of GFW wrestlers going to some school and hanging out with kids. GFW is really pushing on those PR moves. Good for them.

Sienna vs Amber Nova - Squash
Sienna just beat the shit out of this poor girl. Wins with the AK-47.

Post-match - Sienna talked some shit about how no one believed in her and now she is the unified champion and back to the storyline from months back, she calls out Karen Jarrett, who was giving Sienna shit when she came in. Karen comes out, Sienna tells her to get in her knees and proclaim Sienna as the greatest Knockout in history. She starts to bully Karen into a corner until Allie comes out for the save with a freaking kendo stick, she always finds weapons somehow. Close behind her Van Ness comes out and the double team Allie until Rosemary comes out for the save. Van Ness and Sienna get the upper hand so Karen grabs Sienna by the hair and as she [Karen] is about to get her ass kicked, Gail Kim in all her frontal glory (seriously, I think she just came out in a bra) makes the final save. Jarrett announces a Last Knockout Standing between Sienna and Rosemary for the titles for next week!!

LAX Vignette - They have kidnapped El Hijo de Dos Caras, they threaten to cut some fingers if he doesn't get Alberto to join them.

El Hijo del Fantasma Vignette - Awesome, they had almost no footage and minimal info on him, but they made it work.

Bruce Prichard and Trevor Lee Backstage - Prichard tells Trevor Lee to explain himself what the fuck is he doing with the X-Division title. Lee is just spills a bunch of BS, Dutt comes out but security takes him away, Prichard says 'not here!', then he just says that what Lee said made sense and walks away! Fucking Prichard abusing his power!

Idris Abraham, Demus 3:16, & Trevor Lee vs Laredo Kid, Garza Jr, & Octagoncito - 6.5/10
Garza finally comes out without the stupid bandana! Thank God! Trevor Lee continues to wrestle with the title on. This was a really fun match, tons of lucha stuff and the minis didn't suck today. Demus is a great base even for guys like Laredo Kid that is considerably larger than him. Octagoncito pinned Abraham with a plancha from the top of Garza from the top of the second rope.

The Grado/Van Ness Date - So during the week Van Ness said yes to the date, they meet in the pool and they're both wearing their wrestling gear. They go to eat and Van Ness is disgusting. Van Ness was way too much for Grado at this point.

LAX Vignette - Konnan sent Santana and Ortiz to kidnap Dos Caras to finish the job. Konnan does the same thing with Dos Caras. I should mention these vignettes happened during the week. Konna is awesome and I really like these vignettes, they make LAX seem so different from the rest of the roster for not hanging out back in the normal halls of the Impact Zone.

"Reborn" Matt Sydal vs Low Ki vs El Hijo del Fantasma - 8/10
Jeremy Borash straight up said that Fantasma is King Cuerno in Lucha Underground, so this is the first reference of Lucha Underground in another televised promotion. This was the good usual X-Division match with tons of flips, 3-man spots, and tons of dives. At first I kinda felt that Fantasma was having trouble communicating with Ki and Sydal, but he got the hang of it as the match went on and by the end, all three were working nicely with each other. FInish of the match saw Sydal drop Fantasma with a Frankensteiner, but Ki dropped the Warrior's Way and went for the pin, as he is about to win, Sydal hits the SSP and pins Ki for the win

Post-match - Matt Sydal takes the mic and puts over his opponents and he says that everyone needs to trust themselves and question authority, and with that, he calls out Bruce Prichard, who comes out with all his abuse. Bruce says that Matt does deserve the title shot and talks and talks that there are tons who deserve titles shots blah blah...suddenly, Lashley comes out.

Lashley straight up interrupts Sydal and tells him to step aside, Lashley is pissed and says that he wants and deserves a title shot against Alberto. Lashley says that if he doesn't get it, he is gonna create chaos for Bruce and destroy the locker room, he turns around and spears Sydal.

The Grado/Van Ness Date continues - It got really romcom. It's still really shitty that Grado is taking advantage of a broken women.

Eli Drake w/Chris Adonis vs ECIII vs Eddie Edwards vs Moose - 7/10
During their entrance, Adonis threw water at the roids, the roids attacked him. Match was Drake and ECIII getting the heat on Edwards while they keep Moose at bay outside the ring. As you imagine, at one point the clash of egos gets in between and ECIII and Drake start to fight and it opens the door for Moose to come in and kick ass. They all brawl a bit and at the end ECIII hits the One Percenter on Eddie, but Moose pulls him out of the ring and Drake sneaks in the pin for the win. Good match, not really sure if they'll add Drake to the ECIII/Moose mix.

Roids Interview - McKenzie, I couldn't give a shit about the rest....wow, LAX interrupts and steals the camera and take him to the halls where they find Dos Caras and son, looking for answers. The Mexicans shut them up and so LAX kick their asses. Konnan calls out Alberto to the ring.

Patron answers to LAX - LAX comes out with Dos Caras and son tied up to the ring, Konnan calls out Alberto and until he does, they'll kick his families ass. They hit Hijo de Dos Caras first with kendo sticks (Alberto don't care). With Dos Caras, Konnan threatens to unmask him, this finally brings out Alberto.

Alberto is sooo worried, that instead of running and getting in a fight, comes out with a mic and starts talking on the ramp. He tells Konnan to stop, Konnan gets in Patron's face and tells him to either join them, or they won't stop. Alberto keeps talking shit calling Konnan an hot head (lol, right?). Patron says if Konnan allows Patron's family to leave, he'll join. Konnan does and gives Patron an LAX shirt. He says that he doesn't want a friend in Patron anymore, he just needs a soldier to do what he is told. Patron puts the shirt on in order to ensure that LAX leaves his family alone.

Patron attacks LAX with one of the kendo sticks, he takes out Santana, Ortiz, and Homicide, as Diamante and Konnan get away and tears the shirt off. Great angle, but it will really depend on how they follow up, I expect LAX to really hurt Dos Caras and son next week. Konnan was awesome btw, but Patron was up and down.

OVERALL THOUGHTS
Good Impact show, storylines are moving on nicely, I'm really liking what they're doing with LAX and Lashley and I'm intrigued on how Prichard/Sydal/Lee move on from here on. I'd really like to see some Sydal vs Lashley action, but it's probably not for the best if Sydal is actually going to challenge for the title.

Big Red Machine

Re: GFW Impact Wrestling 7.20: El Patron Strikes Back

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 21st, '17, 03:06

Them adding Drago to the intro is quite interesting.

I'm just not buying Sienna as a star. She feels very second-rate.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jul 21st, '17, 08:20

Big Red Machine wrote: Jul 21st, '17, 03:06 Them adding Drago to the intro is quite interesting.

it kinda tells me that Drago is winning the whole thing, which i'm not looking forward too

aside from Gail Kim and maybe Rosemary, none of the KOs feel like stars. I do dig Sienna as the top heel, she looks imposing against everyone else, and i do like her promo work.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 21st, '17, 11:40

cero2k wrote: Jul 21st, '17, 08:20
Big Red Machine wrote: Jul 21st, '17, 03:06 Them adding Drago to the intro is quite interesting.

it kinda tells me that Drago is winning the whole thing, which i'm not looking forward too

aside from Gail Kim and maybe Rosemary, none of the KOs feel like stars. I do dig Sienna as the top heel, she looks imposing against everyone else, and i do like her promo work.
I don't think they'd add Drago to the intro if he was just winning the tournament, but at the same time I don't see the LU people being very happy if he becomes a TN TV regular.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3