All Impact Wrestling (FKA TNA/GFW 2017) Reviews and Discussions
cero2k
Site Admin

GFW Impact Wrestling 7.13: LAX's Rebellion

Post by cero2k » Jul 13th, '17, 20:41

GFW Impact Wrestling
July 13, 2017
Orlando, FL

LAX Open the show sans Patron, they officially introduce Alberto El Patron as the new member of LAX. Oh! Alberto doesn't seem to fully agree with being part of LAX! No wonder Patron was knocked out last show!

Alberto is still technically babyface, he asks why is he [Konnan] saying that Patron is part of LAX!? Konnan says that Alberto has gone through a lot of shit, and Konnan is just offering the back up of 'his' people. Patron says no, he's a loner and he'll remain a loner. Konnan tries once again, and once again, Patron says no, in a more disrespectul way. LAX go in for the attack.

Patron tries to fight them all off, but he can't, and of all people, Lashley comes out for the save and Lashley gets rid of LAX.

Impact shows stuff about the Orlando Mayor thing, a thing about the Pulse massacre last year, and D'Angelo Williams' interview about his debut. Tons of PR.

Alberto/Lashley vs LAX announced as the main event. Also tonight, Moose vs Marufuji, Octagoncito's debut, and Gail Kim's announcement.

ACH/Andrew Everett Vignettes - Good stuff by both guys, two completely different stories going in.

Super X Cup First Round Match
ACH vs Andrew Everett - 7/10
ACH came out with this Dragon Ball attire. Good match that started slow and slowly escalated. At first I figured that this was an easy win for Everett being the roster guy, so I felt that ACH wasn't showing what he really is capable of doing, but color me surprised, ACH wins with a Spirit Bomb (brainbuster) clean in the middle of the ring.

Gail Kim's Announcement - Gail Kim officially announces that at the end of 2017, she'll retire from in-ring competition. Enough time for another title run, but not enough for a fantasy match I've wanted between Paige and Kim that i've wanted.

Chris Adonis Segment - He calls out those two roid freaks into the ring, where the fuck is security!? They really make Adonis look small, where is Godderz when you need him? They get into a pose off. Drake comes down and tries to calm Adonis, but the roids are all hot about fighting. Refs come out and separate them all. I consider this a waste of time, but mainly because I give zero fucks about Big Poppa Pump's kids.

Demus vs Octagoncito - 4.5/10
Fuck Yeah! DEMUS 3:16! I wish we were getting Mascarita Dorada, but Octagoncito will do. They did mini's lucha libre, but not the super flashy type, so some fans cared, some fans didn't know what to expect, since this is the first time there's something like this on Impact. Match was really short.

GRADO tries to hook up with a chick - He's trying to get a date, to get married, to not get deported. He failed with every knockout, some rejections were funny. And I got to see Ava Storie, so awesome!

Matt Sydal Promo - Cool stuff, they showed the footage of his first debut at the first TNA PPV.

Impact Grand Championship Match
Moose (C) vs Naomichi Marufuji -
ECIII on commentary. Prichard/Mantell/D'Amore as judges. Tyrus as bodyguard. Sounded like a really big pop for Moose.
First round was mostly sizing each other up and Moose overpowering the smaller Marufuji. Definitely a Moose round.

Second round started with Moose on the offense, Josh telling us that Moose has really learned how to approach these round style matches and pacing. Marufuji would make a comeback countering Moose and would control the rest of the round. Marufuji round.

Round 3 was going great wrestling, like always, it only leaves me wanting an actual match between the two. ECIII interferes and costs Moose the match. You know NOAH wouldn't allow Marufuji doing a clean job.

GFW Amped Anthology Commercial - This are the old GFW tapings that never made it to TV, now turned into a One Night Only PPV. Some of these may be worth checking out since KUSHIDA, SANADA, among others were all involved.

LAX Club House Segment - They're talking about Patron's rejection and they're planning on taking out Patron. Get Patron and Lashley sent out on stretchers.

"Not Really" X-Division Championship Match
Trevor Lee (not really C) vs William Weaks - Squash
Weaks makes James Ellsworth look legit. Trevor Lee is doing the old Jericho gimmick of wrestling with the title belt on his waist. Lee killed Weaks. During the match, we get a split screen with Dutt fighting security as he is trying to storm the ring.

Post-match - Dutt jumps from the crowd, attacks Lee, but he runs away with the title.

Ava Store! vs "Hot Mess" Laurel Van Ness - 4/10
We can see Rosemary's Red Mist on Laurel's dress, so she really hasn't washed it. Not exactly a good match, but really entertaining to watch, Laure's style is weird and Ava is good, but in her position, she won't get to do much anyway. Van Ness needs to work on her finisher, it's a curb stomp, but looks really weak.

Laurel Van Ness is the best played character in wrestling this year. No even Broken Matt Hardy was so spot on as Van Ness.

Post-match - Well, GRADO comes for the only option not likely to say no, she's technically drunk and this is taking advantage of a drunk girl, I'm 100% against this. GRADO brings gifts to Van Ness, suger talks her, and asks her out on a date and casual sex. Before she can say anything, Kongo Kong makes the save! Thank god there won't be any drunken women being taken advantage of tonight.

Alberto El Patron & Lashley vs LAX w/Konnan, Homicide, and Diamante - 8.5/10
THIS! THIS is what I like my tag team champions to be like, two guys that can look credible main eventing against the two top guys in the promotion, not two geeks doing rap battles, dressing up as police officers, or losing handicap matches against one single person.

Match was the usual formula, with Alberto El Patron being the babyface in peril for a while, where LAX wasn't even cheating to keep him far from Lashley. Lashley made the hot tag and ran wild, but Homicide and Diamante got some cheap shots here and there. Later on, LAX got the heat on Lashley for a while, Patron getting the second hot tag of the match. They both ran wild for a bit, winning the match with weird neckbreaker/foot stomp combination. Lashley completely face.

Patron and Lashley actually worked quite nicely as a team and Lashley was really over tonight. I could totally go with this team if Patron loses the titles, they even have a double team finisher already.

Post-match - Patron says that they make a great team, he's about to say that they should challenge for the titles, but LAX attacks him from behind. Lashley doesn't make the save. Konnan grabs a mic and sentences Patron and held him down. This is where the show goes off the air, but I feel there's more coming on Youtube, so i'll update as soon as I see what happens.

OVERALL THOUGHTS
Good show by GFW, we got some stories moving forward. Some matches were good, some where meh, but mostly because they were meant to be squashes. I love that LAX is really taking a center stage now.

Big Red Machine

Re: GFW Impact Wrestling 7.13: LAX's Rebellion

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 14th, '17, 12:56

Show seemed pretty good from what I saw, but if Sonjay is the rightful champion why hasn't anyone made Trevor Lee return the title to him?

Also, the silliness of bringing in Marufuji and booking him in Stupid Rules Title match is so completely TNA. What a waste.

The Lashley/Alberto/LAX thing has some legs, but I think at some point LAX needs their own top singles guy to get thrown in the mix.

Also, I'll grant you that Laurel is the best-played "weird/crazy" character in wrestling this year (although I think SAnitY- especially Nikki Cross and Alexander Wolfe give her a run for her money) but as for overall character, I don't think she's been better than Stokely Hathaway, Drew Galloway/McIntyre, Johnny Mundo, Miz, Alexa Bliss!, Bobby Roode, or Braun Strowman.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jul 14th, '17, 16:49

Big Red Machine wrote: Jul 14th, '17, 12:56 Show seemed pretty good from what I saw, but if Sonjay is the rightful champion why hasn't anyone made Trevor Lee return the title to him?

Also, the silliness of bringing in Marufuji and booking him in Stupid Rules Title match is so completely TNA. What a waste.

The Lashley/Alberto/LAX thing has some legs, but I think at some point LAX needs their own top singles guy to get thrown in the mix.

Also, I'll grant you that Laurel is the best-played "weird/crazy" character in wrestling this year (although I think SAnitY- especially Nikki Cross and Alexander Wolfe give her a run for her money) but as for overall character, I don't think she's been better than Stokely Hathaway, Drew Galloway/McIntyre, Johnny Mundo, Miz, Alexa Bliss!, Bobby Roode, or Braun Strowman.
I found it more weird that security were actively trying to stop Dutt from coming out. Going by how Prichard is kinda in a power trip, he may not have cared yet.

Yeah, Marufuji in that match was a waste of him. totally agree.

LAX is weird right now, i honestly don't know if Homicide will ever wrestle, I'd love for him to enter the main event, but I highly doubt it. I have a bad feeling that Hernandez is coming.

I don't think Van Ness is a better overall character, but i think she's the best played, guys like Strowman or Miz or Mundo sometimes give up the character when wrestling, Van Ness is ON all the time.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 15th, '17, 20:45

cero2k wrote: Jul 14th, '17, 16:49
Big Red Machine wrote: Jul 14th, '17, 12:56 Show seemed pretty good from what I saw, but if Sonjay is the rightful champion why hasn't anyone made Trevor Lee return the title to him?

I found it more weird that security were actively trying to stop Dutt from coming out. Going by how Prichard is kinda in a power trip, he may not have cared yet.

Yeah, Marufuji in that match was a waste of him. totally agree.

LAX is weird right now, i honestly don't know if Homicide will ever wrestle, I'd love for him to enter the main event, but I highly doubt it. I have a bad feeling that Hernandez is coming.

I don't think Van Ness is a better overall character, but i think she's the best played, guys like Strowman or Miz or Mundo sometimes give up the character when wrestling, Van Ness is ON all the time.
I think Braun and and Nikki Cross are both on all the time.
As for Hernandez... I'd have no problem with him coming in in a big role. Not capitalizing on him in 2009-2010 when he was super-hot was one of TNA's biggest mistakes.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3