BRM Reviews the 7/3/2017 Raw

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 7/3/2017 Raw

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 4th, '17, 13:33

ENZO AMORE PROMO- awesome
Cole immediately tells us we’re getting Enzo vs. Cass at the PPV. Good.
Enzo’s promo was pretty awesome, although starting out with his usual string of catchphrases was probably a mistake. It would have made this promo feel more serious. Also, the words “WWE Universe” detract from the seriousness of a situation. I liked the spontaneity of him going back to add more to the promo.

CHARLY CARUSO INTERVIEWS BIG CASS- awesome.
Cass’ promo was very good, and I LOVED Enzo jumping him from behind. I normally don’t like babyfaces doing such things, but it totally works here. I also liked how they didn’t have Enzo and Cass interact in the ring. It’s a refreshing change, and shows that Creative might actually be able to think outside of the disturbingly narrow box they’ve seemingly locked themselves in (especially when it comes to formatting the shows).

SASHA BANKS & BAYLEY vs. ALEXA BLISS! & NIA JAX- 4/10
The big mistake here was taking Bayley out of the match. Doing so not only makes Bayley look weak, but it also makes Alexa and Nia look bad for losing what was essentially a handicap match. Banks makes Bliss tap out here on the go-home show, which is probably the right finish. It’s definitely the right finish if you’re going anywhere other than Bayley vs. Sasha for the title at SummerSlam. If you are going Bayley vs. Sasha for the title at SummerSlam then I think it would have been better to have Alexa pin Bayley here to remind everyone that Bayley couldn’t beat Alexa, and the fact that Sasha did what Bayley couldn’t is where your tension would come from.

KURT ANGLE & BRAUN STROWMAN BACKSTAGE- Braun insists that Roman is too injured form last week’s beat-down to make it to the PPV but Kurt assures everyone that Roman will be there. This was dumb, although Braun being Braun kind of managed to pull the dialogue off due to his delivery. Braun also wants to face someone tonight. Kurt says that he has “a whole locker room full of Superstars who are already booked.” HOLY SH*T HE ACTUALLY DID HIS JOB FOR ONCE AND BOOKED A CARD FOR TV! Kurt also says that people don’t want to wrestle Braun so close to the PPV. What a bunch of wusses! Braun says he’ll come out to the ring at the end of the night and Kurt had better have an opponent for him.

JOE-LESNAR VIDEO PACKAGE- good

CEDRIC ALEXANDER vs. NAOM DAR (w/Alicia Fox)- 1/10
Cedric cuts a promo before the match vowing to end this feud tonight by putting Dar out. This feud had better end tonight. It’s been going on for, like, eight months and no one has cared. The match went two minutes with Cedric winning.

Remember that segment last week where someone uttered a racial slur and WWE apologized because it was a guest that did it and they went off-script and WWE doesn’t approve of such language? Well of course they spent some time pimping the hell out of this segment by talking about how “controversial” it was and thus got so much main-stream attention.

MIZ TV SEGMENT- good
Great promo by MIz o Ambrose. Ambrose comes out and says he wants his rematch for the IC Title tonight. Slater comes out and says that he pinned Miz recently so he wants a title shot to support his possibly non-existent kids. Slater’s schtik got almost no reaction. Now hopefully it will go away forever. Arguing happens. Kurt comes out and declares that Ambrose will get a title shot on Sunday’s PPV against the winner of Miz vs. Slater, which will take place right now, even though Miz isn’t dressed to compete.

WWE INTERCONTINENTAL TITLE MATCH: The Miz(c) (w/the Miz-tourage) vs. Heath Slater (w/Rhyno)- 6/10
Ambrose is on commentary. He buried the “Great Balls of Fire” PPV name. The match was good, but I wish Miz could have just won cleanly.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- A brawl happened. Dean got involved. The Miz-tourage beat him up. Look at that: Some actual heat in this feud!

TITUS O’NEIL & APOLLO CREWS BACKSTAGE- Backwards!
Titus has gotten Crews booked against Braun tonight but Crews is reluctant because he has a daughter he needs to provide for and Strowman has been murderizing people lately. Titus insists that this will make him famous, just like Kalisto was a nobody until he feuded with Braun Strowman. Crews tries to brush off this insult to his friend without being confrontational towards his manager. Titus convinces Crews that his daughter will be very proud of him if he manages to beat Braun Strowman. Titus then comes up a new catchphrase, which is “Crews can’t lose.” They say it over and over again while bouncing around like you’d expect Titus to do. Of course, he is going to lose tonight, and the dismissiveness with which Cole treated Crews after this segment is probably how a lot of the audience is feeling.
I thought this segment was completely backwards. To my understand, Titus is technically still a heel while his clients are technically still babyfaces, so why not build off of that. I would have had this segment start with Crews coming up to Titus and telling him that he has just been to see Kurt Angle and he has gotten himself booked in his first Raw main event tonight against Braun Strowman. Crews would expect Titus to be glad about this main event spot, but Titus is very upset, urging Crews to go to Kurt and pull out of the match because there is no way he can win. Crews would refuse to do so and then it would be Crews who gives the big speech about how proud his daughter will be when she sees her father beat Braun Strowman tonight, and Titus, realizing that Crews has his mind set on this, tells Crews that this is a mistake, but as the manager of the Titus Brand Worldwide, he will do his job and promote the match.
I would have Titus Tweeting about the match, like, non-stop. You could even do a gag where he is trying to simultaneously cut a promo about it and Tweet about it at the same time. When the main event comes I would let Crews look respectable and give him some nearfalls, as well as do some sort of spot where Titus distracts Braun or maybe even interferes, leading to some sort of nearfall for Crews. Braun would win clean, of course, and you could have him beat Titus up for interfering after the match so that heel Titus gets some comeuppance for his actions and yet his integrity as someone who is looking out for his clients is maintained. (And, now that I think about it, you could have these injuries keep Titus off of the PPV, and at the PPV have Tozawa beat Neville for the Cruiserweight Title, and when Titus comes back you could have him try to take credit for it somehow [maybe some claim about putting Tozawa on a training regiment] which could eventually lead to Tozawa breaking from Titus and Titus recruiting another Cruiserweight to go after Tozawa’s belt).

GOLDUST & TRUTH SEGMENT- GREAT! Especially Goldust’s promo.

KURT, CESARO, & SHEAMUS BACKSTAGE- decent.
Kurt books them defending their titles against the Hardys in a 30-minute Iron-Team Match. Well… he actually said “Ironman Match” but it should be Iron-Team. It’s nice to see that he finally got around to booking a rematch several weeks after an inconclusive finish in a main event tag title match on his show. He said he did this because the two teams are so “evenly matches,” but that’s clearly not true, as the Hardys have won almost every single encounter they’ve had.
The heels are perfectly happy with this because they’re not stereotypical cowardly heels. In fact, Cesaro even wants a match tonight as well. Kurt suggests he face Braun, which is weird because I thought that other segment said that Crews vs. Braun is already booked. Cesaro says he wants to face Finn Balor instead. The crowd pops huge. Then Kurt is given clichéd lines to end the segment, telling Cesaro to “be careful what you wish for.” You know… because Cesaro might wind up losing to Balor, and, being a combat athlete, Cesaro totally wouldn’t have considered that as a possibility.

SETH ROLLINS vs. CURT HAWKINS- squash
Hawkins cuts his same dumb promo from last week. Thankfully Rollins interrupts him. He shouldn’t have sucker-punched him, though. Rollins wins in ten seconds with the Rain-Faker.
Seth vs. Bray is happening on the PPV.

SETH ROLLINS PROMO- Seth’s delivery was very good, but the whole but about Seth saying he will prove that Bray isn’t “a god” is silly. It’s not like Bray hasn’t lost a million times before.

JOE/BROCK/HEYMAN INTERVIEW FROM DIFFERENT PARTS OF THE BUILDING- AWESOME

MUSTAFA ALI vs. NEVILLE- 2/10
Well… at least they let Ali get something in. Also, you’ve got to love how they tell us that he just beat Gulak to end their feud and prove once and for all that high-risk moves are fine to do… and then he immediately loses a match where he gets cut off by having his high-risk moves reversed.

BRAY WYATT WALKS AROUND A DESERT- terrible screen effects happen. We’re told that Bray “up next.” At least they gave me a warning this time.

BRAY WYATT PROMO- Best he’s ever cut?
He takes credit for some negative happenings on Raw since his arrival, like Enzo & Cass breaking up. If more Bray Wyatt promos were like this- with the words he’s saying actually having some decipherable meaning- then maybe the character wouldn’t be such a channel-changer.

CHARLY INTERVIEWS ALEXA BLISS! ABOUT HER LOSS TO SASHA TONIGHT- great.
Alexa claims she “let Sasha win, giving her a false sense of security,” and holy sh*t Charly is actually allowed to call Alexa out for spouting off such a transparent attempt at a face-saving lie! More interviewers with brains, please! Alexa gets angry and tells Charly “no one cares what you think. That’s why you’re holding a microphone and I’m holding the Raw Women’s Championship.”

FINN BALOR vs. CESARO (w/Sheamus)- 6.75/10
The Hardys came out to do commentary. Despite them having come out with their full music, the camera showing us them going over to the commentary table, and us hearing their voices, Kevin Dunn still thought it was necessary to cut away from the match to show us the Hardys sitting there doing commentary FOUR TIMES IN THE FIRST TWO MINUTES (plus once to Sheamus standing at ringside). Six times in the first three and a half.
When we got back from a commercial break, Cole reminded everyone that the Hardys were here on commentary, but apparently that wasn’t good enough so we had to cut away from the match to show them, too.
They were having a fine match. The Drifter got involved so the Hardys came down to ringside to brawl with him and Shemaus. Balor won. This was a decent go-home segment that killed two birds with one stone, but I found it extremely disappointing to let what should have been an AMAZING match get marred by interference and lack of time, and also having one of the tag champs lose for no reason. There was no reason this couldn’t have been Sheamus vs. Balor so that Cesaro vs. Balor could be saved for a time when it would really be allowed to deliver in a major way.

Braun Strowman is on his way to the ring to find out who he’ll be facing. Remember earlier when Kurt told Braun he had so many wrestlers already booked for tonight’s show? Well here is a list of guys who were not yet booked in any match:
WWE Raw Tag Team Champion Cesaro
WWE Raw Tag Team Champion and multiple-time World Champion Sheamus
WWE Intercontinental Champion and former WWE Champion The Miz
Former multi-time Tag Team Champion Matt Hardy
Former multi-time WWE World Tag Team Champion and World Champion Jeff Hardy
Former WWE World Heavyweight Champion Dean Ambrose
Former WWE Universal Champion Finn Balor
Former WWE World Heavyweight Champion Bray Wyatt
Former ECW World Heavyweight Champion (among many other titles) Rhyno
Former World Heavyweight Champion Mark Henry
Former multiple-time World Champion (among many other titles) Big Show

Actually, now that I think about it, Kurt’s earlier statement was total bullsh*t. I will be nice to Kurt and only count heavyweight male wrestlers, and I will exclude those who had big interview segments on this show (and, obviously, those who are kayfabe injured), which brings the roster down from 33 to 25 (Roman and apparently Darren Young are injured, and Bray, Brock, Enzo, Goldust, Miz, and Joe were scheduled for big promos). Of those twenty-six male heavyweight wrestlers, do you want to know how many of them had a match booked before tonight’s show went on the air? TWO. Rollins and Hawkins. In addition to that only four of the seven (or maybe eight, I’ve heard Summer Raw is healthy again) kayfabe healthy women were booked (and all in one match) and just four of the sixteen cruiserweights were booked tonight. There are going to be seven matches on tonight’s show, and despite Kurt’s earlier claim, almost half of them were booked while the show was on the air, and after Kurt had his conversation with Braun.
Yes, this bugs me, and most of the reason for that is because of how self-inflicted this all is. Their need to write these dumb GM segments wound up with Kurt having to say something that not only turned out to be untrue, but something that they made less and less true with each Kurt Angle: General Manager segment they felt compelled to write. Their inability to write a show without these GM segments invariably winds up making their babyface GMs look bad: they’re lazy or they’re liars or they’re hypocrites or they have double standards… it makes them all so unlikeable. An authority figure is not a character you should be trying to write segments for every week. An authority figure is a character who you have on standby in case your direction takes to a place where such a person would logically be required to step in, whether for the purposes of disciplinary action, enforcing fairness by doing his/her best to book rematches for screwy finishes in situations where we can believe that said unfairness will not be able to happen again, or occasionally in a ceremonial businessperson role to oversee big segments like contract signings. An authority figure should be a recurring supporting character, not a main one.

There is an ambulance backing into the arena for no discernable reason right now, so you know Roman is coming out of it at some point. It would be nice if WWE would understand that the build-up to an Ambulance Match is not about the f*cking ambulance! It’s about the two wrestlers wanting to beat each other within an each other their lives.

BRAUN STROWMAN PROMO- awesome.

BRAUN STROWMAN vs. APOLLO CREWS (w/Titus O’Neil)- 0.75/10
As Braun headed to the ring, the announcers still had no idea who he would be facing here in this main event. They thought maybe it was Crews, but weren’t sure. Titus came out and let us know that it was Crews by cutting his usual good Titus O’Neil promo.
They gave Crews very little. The announcers completely wrote him off, even before the match started. There was a spot where me and the referee both thought he could have broken his neck but the announcers totally ignored it, concentrating instead of the Braun’s kick to his ribs. Braun kept pulling Crews up to hit with his finisher.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT-
Braun goes right back to Crews. Titus bravely gets in Braun’s face and goes after him but he gets laid out, too. Braun drags Crews over to the ambulance and puts Crews in the back of it. It gives the driver the signal to go but the driver doesn’t do so because the driver is really Roman Reigns. So did Roman carjack the stationary ambulance during the match, or was he sitting there in the ambulance the whole time? Because the former makes him a bad person and the latter makes him kind of a coward for not coming out and answering Braun’s call for competition. Then, with a clearly, injured Apollo Crews loaded into the back of the ambulance, Roman decides his vendetta against Braun is more important than this poor man who clearly needs medical help (and who wouldn’t be in this situation if Roman had just answered Braun’s challenge).
Roman attacks Braun but Braun quickly takes over. Despite Kurt Angle clearly believing Roman was too injured to compete tonight, he doesn’t send anyone out to break up this fight which could jeopardize not only one of his top PPV matches but also the long-term health of one of his top stars. People only come out to check on them after Roman spears Braun off the stage onto a table. There was no reason for this segment to be the main event over Cesaro vs. Balor… unless of course, your goal isn’t to portray Roman Reigns as the top guy rather than to give people a satisfying main event. The order of these segments does not change the amount of effective hype they give their matches, so why the f*ck would you give us a squash in the main event?

Another boring show from WWE, despite having a number of good promos. It was effective go-home show, but only for those who were able to gut it out stick around through the whole thing.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Earth Child

Re: BRM Reviews the 7/3/2017 Raw

Post by Earth Child » Jul 4th, '17, 17:13

Is anyone else upset with how some of the "top guys" (besides Samoa Joe) are being used?

Balor feuding with The Drifter???

Rollins in a shitty feud with Wyatt?

Don't get me started on Smackdown!

I mean, if it wasn't the quality time I spend with my Dad and Grandmother watching wrestling I'd be thinking of taking a break!

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 4th, '17, 17:48

Earth Child wrote: Jul 4th, '17, 17:13 Is anyone else upset with how some of the "top guys" (besides Samoa Joe) are being used?

I mean, if it wasn't the quality time I spend with my Dad and Grandmother watching wrestling I'd be thinking of taking a break!
Yes and no. The Balor/Drifter thing doesn't bother me because I'm pretty sure it's just a one-month thing and Balor is going to win every match. The Drifter is just being used to give Balor a win, and The Drifter is a guy who is new enough that he can benefit even from losing clean to Balor. It's fine (or even good) to cycle a top guy down the card for a month so that someone else can be given a chance.

The Wyatt/Rollins feud definitely is two guys who the company wants us to see as main eventers having what the company sees as a main event feud but comes across to most people as a glorified midcard feud. I think Wyatt is thoroughly dead as a character at this point, but the company will never realize that, so this kind of feud with him is going to be the norm with him.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Jul 5th, '17, 00:07

Earth Child wrote: Jul 4th, '17, 17:13 Is anyone else upset with how some of the "top guys" (besides Samoa Joe) are being used?

I'm entirely with you, EC... I'm INFURATED at where Balor is, although I will also admit that Red is right, but still... Balor is better than that, dammit. And Reigns has been entirely ruined too... Ungh.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 5th, '17, 01:10

Serujuunin wrote: Jul 5th, '17, 00:07

I'm entirely with you, EC... I'm INFURATED at where Balor is, although I will also admit that Red is right, but still... Balor is better than that, dammit. And Reigns has been entirely ruined too... Ungh.
It's actually kind of ironic because everyone loves Strowman now and the reason for that is the way they booked him... which is exactly how they should have booked Roman.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Jul 5th, '17, 08:40

There's no room for nobody else right now at the top with Joe V Lesnar. That's all there to is to it. Wyatt's nothing and Rollins is probably legitimately there at the main event spot or close enough, but there just is nothing else for Balor right now. Stop saying that so we can stop having these discussions lol.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Jul 5th, '17, 09:40

KILLdozer wrote: Jul 5th, '17, 08:40 There's no room for nobody else right now at the top with Joe V Lesnar. That's all there to is to it. Wyatt's nothing and Rollins is probably legitimately there at the main event spot or close enough, but there just is nothing else for Balor right now. Stop saying that so we can stop having these discussions lol.
I was agreeing with EC, and I was agreeing with Red, you don't have to keep saying anything.

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Jul 5th, '17, 09:41

Big Red Machine wrote: Jul 5th, '17, 01:10
Serujuunin wrote: Jul 5th, '17, 00:07

It's actually kind of ironic because everyone loves Strowman now and the reason for that is the way they booked him... which is exactly how they should have booked Roman.
PLEASE give me a Roman Reigns who has been booked this way. I've been saying that for probably a year now haha

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Jul 5th, '17, 11:07

Serujuunin wrote: Jul 5th, '17, 09:40
KILLdozer wrote: Jul 5th, '17, 08:40 There's no room for nobody else right now at the top with Joe V Lesnar. That's all there to is to it. Wyatt's nothing and Rollins is probably legitimately there at the main event spot or close enough, but there just is nothing else for Balor right now. Stop saying that so we can stop having these discussions lol.
I was agreeing with EC, and I was agreeing with Red, you don't have to keep saying anything.
I'll keep saying whatever I want, until I no longer want to ...

Lol, I know , but it seems like every time it's the same thing... I suppose you just want to see him in the main events but understand it's not the right time for that.

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Jul 5th, '17, 15:36

KILLdozer wrote: Jul 5th, '17, 11:07

Lol, I know , but it seems like every time it's the same thing... I suppose you just want to see him in the main events but understand it's not the right time for that.
Balor is my Alexa Bliss so I'll complain forever until he is where he's supposed to be. :P

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Jul 5th, '17, 16:28

Serujuunin wrote: Jul 5th, '17, 15:36

Balor is my Alexa Bliss so I'll complain forever until he is where he's supposed to be. :P
Who? Oh yeah, the vanilla midget that's only gonna be champion for like 3 more days.

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Jul 5th, '17, 18:00

KILLdozer wrote: Jul 5th, '17, 16:28

Who? Oh yeah, the vanilla midget that's only gonna be champion for like 3 more days.
Well that's rude.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Jul 5th, '17, 19:15

Serujuunin wrote: Jul 5th, '17, 18:00
Well that's rude.
Surely you've heard of "vanilla midgets" before? Lol

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Jul 5th, '17, 21:59

KILLdozer wrote: Jul 5th, '17, 19:15

Well that's rude.
Nope. I live under a rock

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Jul 5th, '17, 22:05

Serujuunin wrote: Jul 5th, '17, 21:59

Well that's rude.
Kevin Nash, WCW, going off on and burying all the cruiserweights! Lol it's a running joke with wrestling fans.

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Jul 6th, '17, 00:33

KILLdozer wrote: Jul 5th, '17, 22:05
Serujuunin wrote: Jul 5th, '17, 21:59

Kevin Nash, WCW, going off on and burying all the cruiserweights! Lol it's a running joke with wrestling fans.
I never watched WCW, we were a WWE house when I was growing up.