ROH Gateway To Gold Hype

All ROH Related Reviews and Discussions
Big Red Machine

ROH Gateway To Gold Hype

Post by Big Red Machine » May 19th, '17, 13:28

www.ROHWrestling.com wrote:The stars of Ring of Honor return to Collinsville, IL, just across the river from St. Louis, MO, when Gateway to Gold comes to the Gateway Center on Sunday June 4! All of your favorite ROH stars will be there with championships on the line and a number of first-time ROH bouts!

The Main Event for Gateway to Gold has been signed and the ROH World Championship will be on the line. Prior to 15th Anniversary, “Almighty” Christopher Daniels was 0-8-1 in ROH World Championship bouts. In Collinsville, Daniels has a chance to make his record in championship bouts 8-8-1 in his seventh defense!

ROH WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP
ROH WORLD CHAMPION “ALMIGHTY” CHRISTOPHER DANIELS vs. WINNER OF GATEWAY TO GOLD GAUNTLET

Daniels will defend his championship for the seventh time when he heads to Collinsville and faces the winner of the first-ever Gateway to Gold Gauntlet! The Gauntlet will feature Dalton Castle, Matt Taven, Cheeseburger, Jay White, Punishment Martinez, Vinny Marseglia, Will Ferrara, Kenny King, and Jonathan Gresham, nine men who have never held the ROH World Championship and are hungry for an opportunity!

The Gauntlet will start with two men. Following a decision, a new wrestler will enter, creating a series of one-on-one bouts. Those who draw higher entry numbers will be at a distinct advantage while team members like Taven and Marseglia of the Kingdom and Ferrara and Cheeseburger may be forced to fight one another! Luck of the draw will be key to not only winning the championship but making the most of the opportunity to dethrone “Almighty” Christopher Daniels following their victory.

But Daniels is in no great position, either. Should the winner be a late entrant that puts his opponent or opponents away quickly, that competitor will go into his championship bout warmed up, fully knowing the challenge that lies ahead while Daniels will only know his opponent following the conclusion of the bout!

Who will win the first-ever Gateway to Gold Gauntlet and challenge the ROH World Champion Christopher Daniels? Can Daniels even his record in championship bouts? Join us in Collinsville to find out!
Also announced for the show are Bobby Fish vs. Jay Lethal and Shane Taylor vs. Jay Briscoe.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Big Red Machine

Re: ROH Gateway To Gold Hype

Post by Big Red Machine » May 19th, '17, 13:34

This is very disappointing. Why would you ever book a gauntlet that pays off in a title shot right then and there with a babyface champion? To be honest I don't even like the idea of the winner getting a title shot that same night at all just because no one will ever think the title could change hands. Yes, it could be used to set up a story that builds someone up for a future title shot because they could say that they would have beaten Daniels if they were fresh, but due to the lack of coherent stories of any sort in ROH this just feels like another way to do those stupid "win this match and get a title shot later tonight" matches that Delirious loves to do so much even though everyone knows they don't mean anything because he's never actually done anything with them.
Why not just have the winner receive his title shot at a later date? That way you have some time to give him another win or two and have him cut some promos saying "Christopher Daniels, I'm coming for your title" and by the time you actually give him his title shot, be it on TV, PPV, or a VOD/DVD-only show, people might actually give a sh*t.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » May 19th, '17, 14:03

not just that, in a gauntlet style match, you're gonna have to pin/submit guys like Taven or Castle that should be close to a proper title shot, and Martinez who is right now a beast, White who is up and coming. I like the idea of 'never held a title' but the rest is just not properly planned out.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 19th, '17, 14:50

cero2k wrote: May 19th, '17, 14:03 not just that, in a gauntlet style match, you're gonna have to pin/submit guys like Taven or Castle that should be close to a proper title shot, and Martinez who is right now a beast, White who is up and coming. I like the idea of 'never held a title' but the rest is just not properly planned out.
Exactly. It feels like we're rewarding these guys for not doing well rather than for doing well. And it's even more silly when you realize how long guys like White and Martinez were on winning streaks for without even getting mentioned for a title shot.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 19th, '17, 16:28

Silas & BCB vs. Mark Briscoe & Bully Ray added. You'd think these guys would all be really unhappy with not being in the gauntlet match for a title shot, but I'm sure we're never hear about that. You'd think that if neither Bully nor either of the Briscoes are going to be in the gauntlet they would at least book a six-man title match to explain why Mark and Bully aren't in it. In fact, this would have been a perfect place to pay off the whole "Silas & Bruiser are looking for a third guy" angle. They said on TV that they found one and they were scheduled to get a six-man tag title shot at SCOH, so them and their third guy getting a title shot here would make some sense as well as plug the above plot-hole, but of course that will never happen because Delirious only books title shots when they don't make sense.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 22nd, '17, 08:53

Coast 2 Coast vs. The Rebellion (Rhett Titus & Caprice Coleman) has been announced.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » May 22nd, '17, 10:11

who's coast to coast?

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 22nd, '17, 10:20

cero2k wrote: May 22nd, '17, 10:11 who's coast to coast?
Shaheem Ali & Leon St. Giovanni. They're not bad, but they've been used as nothing but jobbers since they showed up in the 2016 Top Prospect Tournament.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 22nd, '17, 18:42

Flip Gordon vs. Kazarian.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 24th, '17, 09:13

Young Bucks vs. Oi4K.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » May 24th, '17, 10:17

oh wow, didn't imagine seeing the Crists in ROH, probably a one off tho

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 24th, '17, 10:54

cero2k wrote: May 24th, '17, 10:17 oh wow, didn't imagine seeing the Crists in ROH, probably a one off tho
This is my assumption as well.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 1st, '17, 21:26

Due to the one Crists injury situation he has been pulled from the show. The other one will be added to the gauntlet while the tag title shot will go to... The Kingdom. Is there an emoticon I can use that is hanging itself?

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jun 1st, '17, 23:05

Big Red Machine wrote: Jun 1st, '17, 21:26 Due to the one Crists injury situation he has been pulled from the show. The other one will be added to the gauntlet while the tag title shot will go to... The Kingdom. Is there an emoticon I can use that is hanging itself?
|
|
|
:shock:

closest i can think off. Hey, at least it's a signed team that's getting the title shot

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 1st, '17, 23:56

cero2k wrote: Jun 1st, '17, 23:05
Big Red Machine wrote: Jun 1st, '17, 21:26 Due to the one Crists injury situation he has been pulled from the show. The other one will be added to the gauntlet while the tag title shot will go to... The Kingdom. Is there an emoticon I can use that is hanging itself?
|
|
|
:shock:

closest i can think off. Hey, at least it's a signed team that's getting the title shot
Right, but it's a signed team of guys who 1) haven't done anything to deserve it and 2) I would be much happier if they weren't signed. Especially Marseglia, but even Taven I think has totally run his course in ROH and done everything he can do. If they had given the book back around September I would have had his new Kingdom be a total failure and get destroyed by Cole and the Bucks in the first round of the six-man tag title tournament, then have him get pinned by Cole in some other match which leads to him growing even more obsessed with defeating Cole but always failing until Taven offers to put his ROH career on the line for a shot at Cole's title and Cole would beat him and that would have been the end of Taven in ROH (and Cole could then go around cutting promos saying that he was going to rid ROH of Kyle O'Reilly just like he did to Matt Taven).

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 27th, '21, 20:04

In a totally pointless necro-post, I must announce to the world that on this show there actually was an explanation for why guys like Silas or Mark Briscoe or Bobby Fish weren't in the gauntlet: The competitors were picked at random from the group of people that had never been ROH World Champion. I'm not totally sure that Delirious deserves any credit for this because it's entirely possible that Cabana came up with this on his own on commentary (if I remember right, he was doing that a lot around this time), but I do feel the need to point out that at least someone made the effort to plug the plot-hole.

(Fun fact: The reason I found this threat in the first place is that I was trying to remember exactly what the explanation for the gauntlet was, and when I Googled the gimmick name of the gauntlet, this thread was one of the top results!
And while I'm at it... cheap plug or my review of this show, which will be up as soon as I finish watching it (so probably somewhere in the midnight-1:00 am range.)

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation