Impact Wrestling 5.11 Review: Patron vs Magnus

All Impact Wrestling (FKA TNA/GFW 2017) Reviews and Discussions
cero2k
Site Admin

Impact Wrestling 5.11 Review: Patron vs Magnus

Post by cero2k » May 12th, '17, 18:32

Impact Wrestling
May 11, 2017

Great build up hype for tonight's main event between Magnus and Alberto. "Yo Soy Tu Padre, Albertito!", but for now...straight to wrestling!

Caleb Konley vs Desmond Xavier vs Andrew Everett vs "Reborn" Matt Sydal - 7.5/10
I mark out every time I hear Sydal's song. This match could be a main event in any indie around the US. You can't ask for a better opener for a show, everyone was amazing in their own, tons of flying, tons of moves. Everett takes the win, but Desmond Xavier wast the MVP of the match, he was just amazing.

Josh during this match mentioned that they're 'weeks' from going to India for their live shows.

KM "BIFF" Vignette - The pizza guy did kinda deserve it for wearing his cap like that and that terrible shave.

James Storm ECIII Segment - ECIII is out here dressed as a cowboy, he looks more like Stan Hansen than Storm. He's trash talking Storm, making cowboy references, singing cowboy songs, and making the ladies go crazy. Eventually the real Storm comes out...

ECIII and Storm start fighting, but it's all Storm until ECIII gets the cheap shop using his cowboy boot. ECIII handcuffs Storm to the ring ropes and starts lashing on Storm with his leather belt on the back. They actually sounded painful, refs, security, Simon Diamond, and D'Amore came out to try to stop him. At one point, ECIII tripped with a camera guy, and he started lashing on him too. This HAS to be building to either a strap match or bullrope match at Slammiversary. Good segment.

Josh Matthews announces that there will be a tag team tournament to crown the vacant GFW Tag Team Championships. I guess this is how they build their champion unification tag match for Slammiversary, seems like the build up has started.

Hakim Zane and Idris Abraham vs Laredo Kid and Garza Jr. - 6.5/10
I LOVE Abraham's look. I had been wondering where Kid and Garza were, I figured they had missed the whole tapings. This was a total showcase for the Mexicans, I wouldn't call it a squash because Abraham and Zane did get some stuff in on Garza, but not enough to call it 'babyface in peril'.

Sienna "Last Week" Interview - Sienna calls out Jarrett on her shit, says she took out Karen's girl, and she'll do it again.

Garza/Laredo Interview - They're here to represent Mexico and they're the best. They both spoke English really good, this is the Del Rio and Mysterio that WWE have been trying to find.

Ava Storie!! vs Laurel Van Ness w/Kongo Kong - Squash :(
Finally someone forced Laurel to get back to work, but not to find her gear bag. I don't know what Ava's gimmick is, sometimes she's a heel, sometimes she's a babyface. Laurel's offense has become She-Delirious + Crazy woman, her finisher was a curbstomp to the back, her pin was straight up choking Ava.

Post-match - Van Ness keeps attacking Ava until Hebner tries to get her off, which prompts Kong to go and scare off Hebner. I love these two together, it's so fucking weird.

Spud Recovery Vignette - Awesomeness! Song was perfect, the stuff Spud says is great. I can't wait to see him walk again.

LAX's Funeral for Decay - They're all in a lowrider, wearing skull face paint. They have Undertaker's Urn. They didn't come out to the normal song, but they were kinda doing a 12 shot salute while coming out + funeral's march song.

Konnan on the mic, all solemn.....lol, not really, Ortiz and Santana throw the ashes on the ground and Konnan calls out Impact, you threw your best team at us, and we took them out! Konnan says that now they're coming for the GFW titles. There was a fan waving a US flag and Konnan was about to kick his ass, you KNOW what this means...VETERANS OR WAR! They scare off LAX. I can't believe I'm marking out for Crimson defending the US flag of all things. I'm still LAX Por Siempre tho! Konnan was awesome during this segment, he can easily give Heyman a run for his money in the promo/manager department.

During the funeral, we see Rosemary with watching from the rafters, her facepaint more skullish than usual. You have to imagine that the Rosemary vs Diamante feud is coming, but I wonder if they bring in new freaks for her for backup, because I can't imagine Rosemary going babyface.

Impact Grand Championship Match
Marshe Rocket vs Moose - Squash
First round was terrible, Marshe spent most of the time outside the ring, Moose obviously won it. Moose then won the second round really quick. I'll call it a squash for nothing happening in the first round.

Post-match - Tyrus came out the ramp, Eli Drake attacked Moose from behind, they double team him and kicked his ass. Chris Adonis came out, no injury, locked in the Adonis lock. Drake and Adonis kinda clashed, but then agreed that they both dislike the same men, but when it comes to the title, everyone will be on their own. I now NEED this stable! Adonis/Drake/Tyrus. I know this is likely building to Drake vs Moose, but my god, I really wanna see a real match between Tyrus and Moose.

Dutch Mantell Interview - McKenzie interviews Mantell who says that next week, because the fans asked for it, we're getting Lee vs Everett vs Ki in an Ultimate X Match for the title!!

Eddie Edwards/Alisha "Last Week" - We see Eddie looking for Davey, Alisha trying to stop him and get him to the medic. Nothing comes out of this.

Angelina Love w/Davey Richards vs Alisha Edwards w/Eddie Edwards - Dud, good segment tho
I really Love (pun intended) NBK's entrance. Eddie came out with crutches. Match was actually going good, but Love chains up her hand and strikes Alisha, which the ref notices and DQs her. Love takes out the ref and Eddie stops her before attacking Alisha again, which gives Davey an opening to hit him with one of the crutches and once again, destroy his leg. Davey's haircut tonight, Jesus man...

Lashley Interview about tonight's main event - Lashley says that he's interested in tonight's match, because he's really interested in getting his hands on the GFW title too.

Magnus "Last Week" Interview - Good stuff. He wants to unify the world titles of each company.

GFW Global Championship Match
Magnus (C) vs Alberto El Patron - 7/10
Is this the first British (US) world champion vs the first Mexican (US) world champion? Match was all back and forward, they kept it to mostly strikes and big moves at first, we saw Magnus going for the flying elbow and Alberto for the superkick to the kneeled opponent, but later, they start to transition more into submissions, Magnus working the leg with cloverleaf, Patron worked the arm with the armbar. Finish saw Patron fail with the foot stomp because of the bad leg, but being able to capitalize on Magnus' injured arm countering a fireman's carry with the Destiny Cross Armbreaker for the submission win. Good match, good story, great selling by Patron, i'd love to see it without commercials, it got good time during the show, but I have to imagine the actual match was a lot longer. This ended Magnus' 547 day reign of the GFW Championship.

OVERALL THOUGHTS
Great show by Impact, seems like we're already dropping tons of build towards Slammiversary. I loved LAX's stuff and the opener particularly.

Next week we're getting Ultimate X title match, GFW women's title match, and ECIII vs Storm.

Big Red Machine

Re: Impact Wrestling 5.11 Review: Patron vs Magnus

Post by Big Red Machine » May 14th, '17, 01:21

cero2k wrote:
Ortiz and Santana
I don't know who these two are, so I'm going to assume it's Tito Ortiz and Tito Santana.

First round was terrible, Marshe spent most of the time outside the ring, Moose obviously won it. Moose then won the second round really quick. I'll call it a squash for nothing happening in the first round.
You're way too nice. I'd call this a dud for wasting all of the time wasted in the first round.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

KILLdozer

Re: Impact Wrestling 5.11 Review: Patron vs Magnus

Post by KILLdozer » May 14th, '17, 08:21

Big Red Machine wrote:
cero2k wrote:
Ortiz and Santana
I don't know who these two are, so I'm going to assume it's Tito Ortiz and Tito Santana.

You're way too nice. I'd call this a dud for wasting all of the time wasted in the first round.

Maybe it's that really strange dude Ricky Ortiz from WWEECW.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.