Wrestler's "3:16" moments.

All Time Greatest, Worst, Sickest, Weirdest, Funniest...you get the idea.
cero2k
Site Admin

Wrestler's "3:16" moments.

Post by cero2k » May 4th, '17, 12:12

What do you think are some wrestler's 3:16 moment, the one that turns their careers around and somewhat defines who they are. Like for instance, i'd argue that Rock's 3:16 moment is when he raises his eyebrow and gets the NOD to turn on Farooq. Let's see how many wrestlers we can come up with

Big Red Machine

Re: Wrestler's "3:16" moments.

Post by Big Red Machine » May 4th, '17, 12:32

If I might be so bold, Alexa Bliss!'s promo on Raw sure feels like a breakout moment (to those who weren't already hip to her clearly evident awesomeness).

On a slightly different axis, Ballad of Lacy is kind of the moment that first showed what Jimmy Jacobs was capable of, and what made him (both Jimmy Jacobs the wrestler and Chris Scobille the actor/writer/producer) special.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 4th, '17, 12:35

You could also point to CM Punk's "I am born of your poisoned society" promo, but it's possible that that is just my east coast bias and that he cut many similar excellent promos before that which just didn't have the ROH buzz and RF Video exposure machine behind them.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » May 4th, '17, 14:39

Big Red Machine wrote:You could also point to CM Punk's "I am born of your poisoned society" promo, but it's possible that that is just my east coast bias and that he cut many similar excellent promos before that which just didn't have the ROH buzz and RF Video exposure machine behind them.

Punk is an interesting one, I don't disagree, but I'd go with this "hate you" promo on Raven (is that the one you're talking about?). But then you also had the other two pipebombs that kinda moved his career more and more

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 4th, '17, 21:19

cero2k wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:You could also point to CM Punk's "I am born of your poisoned society" promo, but it's possible that that is just my east coast bias and that he cut many similar excellent promos before that which just didn't have the ROH buzz and RF Video exposure machine behind them.

Punk is an interesting one, I don't disagree, but I'd go with this "hate you" promo on Raven (is that the one you're talking about?). But then you also had the other two pipebombs that kinda moved his career more and more

But the question (at least as I read it) as not "did it lead to a push" so much as "did it get him more noticed by a larger group of fans?" While the Punk worked shoot promo is what led to his biggest push, I'd be willing to bet that most casual fans had already taken notice of his ability to be a tippy-top level guy by the time the Jeff Hardy feud ended.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » May 4th, '17, 21:23

What would Edge's be?

Orton's would definitely be near the beginning of "The Age Of Orton." Probably when he absolutely destroyed Rvd.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

XIV

Post by XIV » May 5th, '17, 00:04

Edge's 3:16 moment would arguably be his shock cash in. Once the ratings spiked after that, WWE threw full force behind Edge and never stopped.
Have A Nice Day!

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 5th, '17, 02:13

XIV wrote:Edge's 3:16 moment would arguably be his shock cash in. Once the ratings spiked after that, WWE threw full force behind Edge and never stopped.

I'm disagree that that is the moment that Edge took that big step, but I normally see a 3:16 moment as something more than that. That was a booking decision. A "3:16 moment" to me requires something unique on the part of the wrestler that no other wrestler could have made work quite as well. As well as Edge's cash-in worked, anyone else could have been in that role and it would have worked just as well.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » May 5th, '17, 06:38

"I'm Ric Flair speeding ticket WOOOO!" LOL

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » May 5th, '17, 06:41

Yeah, on Orton, I'd say it was full on transition into DANGEROUS Legend Killer, if not the Rvd thing, (when he front flipped off the Rko) definitely Shawn Michaels. I also believe that was" Loses his smile".

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » May 5th, '17, 09:52

Big Red Machine wrote:
XIV wrote:Edge's 3:16 moment would arguably be his shock cash in. Once the ratings spiked after that, WWE threw full force behind Edge and never stopped.

I'm disagree that that is the moment that Edge took that big step, but I normally see a 3:16 moment as something more than that. That was a booking decision. A "3:16 moment" to me requires something unique on the part of the wrestler that no other wrestler could have made work quite as well. As well as Edge's cash-in worked, anyone else could have been in that role and it would have worked just as well.

Edge's 3:16 was hooking up with Lita IRL

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 5th, '17, 14:23

cero2k wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:

Edge's 3:16 was hooking up with Lita IRL

Once again, I'd argue that anyone who managed to break up Matt and Lita like that would have gotten the same type of heat.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » May 5th, '17, 16:35

Big Red Machine wrote:
cero2k wrote:Edge's 3:16 was hooking up with Lita IRL

Once again, I'd argue that anyone who managed to break up Matt and Lita like that would have gotten the same type of heat.

yeah, but not everyone was dick enough to do it

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Jun 29th, '17, 01:01

Jeff Hardy's swanton off the ladder into whomever that poor Dudley Boy was on the table, at whatever PPV that was. The one that's still on highlight reels today.