BRM Reviews NJPW Wrestling Toyonokuni 2017

NJPW, RevPro, CMLL, DDT, etc
Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews NJPW Wrestling Toyonokuni 2017

Post by Big Red Machine » May 1st, '17, 03:27

NJPW Wrestling Toyonokuni 2017 (4/29/2017)- Beppu, Japan

JUSHIN “THUNDER” LIGER, HIRAI KAWATO, & TOMOYUKI OKA vs. TIGER MASK IV, KATSUYA KITAMURA, & SHOTA UMINO- 3/10

RYUSUKE TAGUCHI & YOSHITATSU vs. LOS INGOBERABLES DE JAPON (Sanada & BUSHI)- 4/10
This was pretty short, but mostly all action. After watching this match I kind of want to see Sanada vs. Yoshitatsu happen at some point.

ROPPONGI VICE vs. SUZUKI-GUN (Yoshinobu Kanemaru & El Desperado)- 5.25/10
That Kanemaru leg drop on the barricade where he jumps a million feet in the air is my favorite spot in wrestling at the moment.

HIROYOSHI TENZAN, SATOSHI KOJIMA, & DAVID FINLAY JR. vs. BULLET CLUB (Yujiro Takahashi, & the Guerrillas of Destiny)- 4.25/10

CHAOS (Hirooki Goto, YOSHI-HASHI, & Will Ospreay) vs. SUZUKI-GUN (Minoru Suzuki, TAKA Michinoku, & Taichi)- 5.75/10
Goto and Suzuki continued to brawl after the match.

BULLET CLUB (Bad Luck Fale, Kenny Omega, & Chase Owens) vs. CHAOS (Toru Yano, Tomohiro Ishii, & Kazuchika Okada) (w/Gedo)- 4.5/10
Fale attacked the ring announcer before the match. He also attacked Okada before the match started. Bullet Club work over Yano’s groin. The actual muscles, not his genitals. Yes, that’s right. Not even the dastardly Bullet Club will resort to low blows because that’s too low, even for them. But of course Yano does it in every single match.
Yano then did more of his usual stupid Yano tricks. When he tried to hit Omega with the turnbuckle bad Omega ducked and it was the referee who got clobbered and knocked out. Then Kenny Omega, THE HEEL, went over to make sure that the referee was okay, and while he was doing this, Yano, the supposed babyface, hit him from behind, right in the testicles. WHAT A PIECE OF SH*T!
Then I got my wish and Yano disappeared for the rest of the match and the few remaining minutes were actually good.

IWGP JR. HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE MATCH: Hiromu Takahashi(c) vs. Ricochet- 8.5/10
They started off by Playing off of surprising early finish to Takahashi vs. KUSHIDA IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Title match at Sakura: Genesis 2017, and then used that as a springboard to launch into the story of their match, which was basically guys exchanging metaphorical haymakers of big moves (which, due to Takahashi’s style, also resulted in him focusing on Ricochet’s neck, which he appeared to legitimately jack pretty badly on that running DVD into corner.

HIROSHI TANAHASHI vs. EVIL- 6.5/10
Chairshot right in front of the referee, but no DQ, even though the referee had just tried to stop EVIL from hitting Tanahashi with said chair. Other stuff happened and they hit each other a lot, then some overbooking, then more overbooking and then Tanahashi wins.

IWGP INTERCONTINENTAL TITLE MATCH: Tetsuya Naito(c) vs. Juice Robinson- 8.75/10
So they start off with, like, three straight minutes of stalling. Then Naito spits at Juice and Juice charges at him… and just as we’re finally about to get some f*cking action, the idiot director cuts away to shot of Liger doing commentary. HOW F*CKING STUPID CAN YOU POSSIBLY BE?! After that brief bit of contact (which we mostly missed due to incompetence) we got even more stalling.
Things got better when Naito started working over Juice’s leg. He would also often grab poor Juice by his very long braids while the referee just watched in silence. He didn’t even tell Naito off for this blatant violation of the rules. Just because they call themselves “Los Ingobernables” doesn’t mean you shouldn’t even try to gobern them.
The story continued with Naito working the knee (and Juice selling it very well) while Juice would work the back during his quick bursts of offense. Perhaps the most amazing thing about this match, however, was how exciting it managed to be despite me at no point thinking that Juice had a chance to win. It was just an AWESOME match, plain and simple (once you get past those first few minutes, anyway).
After the match, Tanahashi came out to challenge Naito to an IC Title match, which will almost certainly take place at Dominion in June.

This was intended to be a three match show and two of those matches were excellent and the third was fine so I’m going to call it a pretty darn good show, but the undercard was even more pointless and skippable than usual.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Re: BRM Reviews NJPW Wrestling Toyonokuni 2017

Post by cero2k » May 1st, '17, 12:16

SHOTA UMINO i'm hearing is Red Shoe's son, and he's only been wrestling for a couple of weeks

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 1st, '17, 16:15

cero2k wrote:SHOTA UMINO i'm hearing is Red Shoe's son, and he's only been wrestling for a couple of weeks

So Dave said (while stroking off and while burying the Performance Center).

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » May 1st, '17, 16:23

Big Red Machine wrote:
cero2k wrote:SHOTA UMINO i'm hearing is Red Shoe's son, and he's only been wrestling for a couple of weeks

haven't watched the dude, was he better than Nia Jax?

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 1st, '17, 16:40

cero2k wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:

I guess. He didn't stand out to me in any way at all. It could probably pick most of the other young-boys out of a line-up, but not him. That doesn't mean they are better than he is, but it does mean that he didn't stand out in any way.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » May 1st, '17, 16:51

Big Red Machine wrote:
cero2k wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:So Dave said (while stroking off and while burying the Performance Center).

I guess. He didn't stand out to me in any way at all. It could probably pick most of the other young-boys out of a line-up, but not him. That doesn't mean they are better than he is, but it does mean that he didn't stand out in any way.

that's understandable, unless you're huge muscle, they all look the same at that point with shaved head and black trunks

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 1st, '17, 17:53

cero2k wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:
cero2k wrote:haven't watched the dude, was he better than Nia Jax?

that's understandable, unless you're huge muscle, they all look the same at that point with shaved head and black trunks

Well Oka's got those sideburns, so that helps with him.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation