What is the biggest "WHAT IF..." in Wrestling?

All Time Greatest, Worst, Sickest, Weirdest, Funniest...you get the idea.
cero2k
Site Admin

What is the biggest "WHAT IF..." in Wrestling?

Post by cero2k » Apr 27th, '17, 16:47

What if Hogan hadn't been the third man?
What if Hunter is not punished and allowed to win KOTR, thus Austin doesn't cut his 3:16 promo?
What if Hogan never lost his hair?

what do you guys think?

Big Red Machine

Re: What is the biggest "WHAT IF..." in Wrestling?

Post by Big Red Machine » Apr 27th, '17, 16:52

What if Hall & Nash don't jump? The invasion would have worked fine with Luger or Savage as a third man, and Hall & Nash leaving results in the Curtain Call which not only gets Hunter punished and thus Austin gets the push, but Hunter taking the punishment gracefully made people much happier to accept it when he got the push the next year.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Apr 27th, '17, 23:34

What if Ryback was the mega star he should've been?

What if CM punk didn't have that long reign?

What if Brock Lesnar didn't break the streak?

What if Bryan didn't have that pretty much career ending injury?

Go ahead.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

XIV

Post by XIV » Apr 28th, '17, 05:06

I'm with BRM, the biggest What If in wrestling is definitely what if Nash and Hall stay with WWE.

That set off the biggest chain of events in wrestling.

Without these guys jumping to WCW

The Monday Night Wars probably don't happen to the extent they did.

The nWo are most likely still born, but not as successful with two different members.

Austin 3:16 doesn't happen. He may get there eventually as Stone Cold with the popularity and all, but it doesn't happen in the way it happens.

Triple H has said on numerous occasions that hindsight he was not ready for the big time at the time he was chalked to win KOTR, so maybe he wouldn't have been as successful as he has been.

And the most likely outcome is this...

If Hall and Nash never jump to WCW. WWE would have steamrolled them without half the challenge they got.

I'm Andonis Wolverson, and that is my opinion.
Have A Nice Day!

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Apr 28th, '17, 08:29

XIV wrote:I'm with BRM, the biggest What If in wrestling is definitely what if Nash and Hall stay with WWE.

And if this doesn't happen, the money probably doesn't shoot up the way it does, which was a big factor in Bret leaving because Vince had to offer him a huge contract to keep him around that he then couldn't pay. That could also lead to guys like Eddie and Benoit deciding to work full-time for New Japan rather than split time with WCW, which means they don't get over in the US.

The nWo are most likely still born, but not as successful with two different members.
I'm not sure they are. I think you needed two big-name guys coming in at the same time to push Bischoff in the direction that finds him that idea.
Austin 3:16 doesn't happen. He may get there eventually as Stone Cold with the popularity and all, but it doesn't happen in the way it happens.

Triple H has said on numerous occasions that hindsight he was not ready for the big time at the time he was chalked to win KOTR, so maybe he wouldn't have been as successful as he has been.

If Hall and Nash never jump to WCW. WWE would have steamrolled them without half the challenge they got.
It also means that Vince isn't desperate enough to go the Attitude Era route, which means that neither side would get desperate enough to start poaching from ECW, plus the money not going up obviously helps ECW out because not only does Paul not feel like he has to start shelling out major money in 98-2000 but he also probably doesn't lose the likes of Raven, Sandman, Taz, and the Dudleys (maybe Raven would have gone to WCW eventually) (and Kliq politics controlling WWE rather than having major but not quite controlling influences in both major companies means a guy like Bam Bam could have gone to WCW and bee a much bigger deal so he never goes to ECW. Meanwhile, not having Hall and Nash around to push for him means that Page probably doesn't get the chances he gets, even being Bischoff's neighbor, because Hall and Nash personally made made major efforts to get him over the initial hump via their little angle. It's kind of fascinating to see where some people wind up (or don't).

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Apr 28th, '17, 08:38

What if The Undertaker never happened?

XIV

Post by XIV » Apr 28th, '17, 08:42

Big Red Machine wrote:
XIV wrote:I'm with BRM, the biggest What If in wrestling is definitely what if Nash and Hall stay with WWE.

And if this doesn't happen, the money probably doesn't shoot up the way it does, which was a big factor in Bret leaving because Vince had to offer him a huge contract to keep him around that he then couldn't pay. That could also lead to guys like Eddie and Benoit deciding to work full-time for New Japan rather than split time with WCW, which means they don't get over in the US.

I'm not sure they are. I think you needed two big-name guys coming in at the same time to push Bischoff in the direction that finds him that idea.

It also means that Vince isn't desperate enough to go the Attitude Era route, which means that neither side would get desperate enough to start poaching from ECW, plus the money not going up obviously helps ECW out because not only does Paul not feel like he has to start shelling out major money in 98-2000 but he also probably doesn't lose the likes of Raven, Sandman, Taz, and the Dudleys (maybe Raven would have gone to WCW eventually) (and Kliq politics controlling WWE rather than having major but not quite controlling influences in both major companies means a guy like Bam Bam could have gone to WCW and bee a much bigger deal so he never goes to ECW. Meanwhile, not having Hall and Nash around to push for him means that Page probably doesn't get the chances he gets, even being Bischoff's neighbor, because Hall and Nash personally made made major efforts to get him over the initial hump via their little angle. It's kind of fascinating to see where some people wind up (or don't).

All of these reasons and so many more is why it's the biggest What If in Professional Wrestling history.

With the lack of competition there would most likely be no boom period in the late 90's which again would lead to less money being around.

WWE certainly isn't the global money machine it is today.

ECW and WCW may still be around today (more likely ECW than WCW), because without the catalyst of Hall and Nash, because that was the turning point on seizing talent and where money REALLY came into the Rivalries.
Sure others had jumped before, but never in the style of Nash and Hall, two guys that were at that time the future of the business in Vince's eyes. All WCW had taken up to that point were older stars that only had one good run left in them (which WCW stretched too far, but that's a different story).

Scott Hall becomes a World Champion. If he stays in WWE I truly believe he would have ended up as World Champion.

DX is never born. Let's face it, they were made in response to the nWo.
Have A Nice Day!

XIV

Post by XIV » Apr 28th, '17, 08:43

KILLdozer wrote:What if The Undertaker never happened?

Then neither does Kane and BRM will not want to entertain that thought.
Have A Nice Day!

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Apr 28th, '17, 08:49

XIV wrote:

Indeed. My name might be "People's Champion" or "Texas Rattlesnake" or something ridiculous like that. Too horrible to even consider.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Apr 28th, '17, 08:56

Big Red Machine wrote:
XIV wrote:

Indeed. My name might be "People's Champion" or "Texas Rattlesnake" or something ridiculous like that. Too horrible to even consider.

"Hardcore Legend" does have a nice ring to it...

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Apr 28th, '17, 09:01

As a side one, what if HBK jumps along with Nash and Hall?

What if Magnum TA never has the accident?
What if Vince goes to jail in 94?
What if Taker lost his WM debut?

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Apr 28th, '17, 09:24

cero2k wrote:As a side one, what if HBK jumps along with Nash and Hall?
WWF certainly looks much different in that Montreal never happens. As for WCW- it depends how committed they are to pushing him. I could easily see 96 Bischoff being convinced that Shawn is too small. He probably has some awesome matches with Flair on the undercard, but likely ends up as one of the guys in the Raven/Konnan/Jericho group where it was clear they had the talent to go to the next level but there was a lot of opposition from the top guys so it never happened (although maybe Hall and Nash are able to prevent this).

He becomes a big star and Nikita doesn't turn babyface, but ultimately he's just one more big name in a company where the problem was never a lack of big names.
What if Vince goes to jail in 94?
According to Bruce Prichard they were totally ready to go to the jail to get Vince's directives on the big-picture direction while Bruce, Pat, and J.J. would have kept writing the TV. I believe Jerry Jarrett was also brought in to help.
He could have been rebuilt and still become a huge star (Hogan would have made sure he got rebuilt because Hogan wanted to work with him). The legend of The Undertaker is definitely lessened without The Streak, but he's still the freakin' Undertaker. He'd have his mystique and he'd have his presence and charisma and push.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Apr 28th, '17, 10:14

cero2k wrote:As a side one, what if HBK jumps along with Nash and Hall?
WWF certainly looks much different in that Montreal never happens. As for WCW- it depends how committed they are to pushing him. I could easily see 96 Bischoff being convinced that Shawn is too small. He probably has some awesome matches with Flair on the undercard, but likely ends up as one of the guys in the Raven/Konnan/Jericho group where it was clear they had the talent to go to the next level but there was a lot of opposition from the top guys so it never happened (although maybe Hall and Nash are able to prevent this).
Except he would come in with Nash and Hall, he doesn't need to rely that much on booking when you're friends are the bookers, the one thing that I'd see interesting is how he and Hogan would get along

He becomes a big star and Nikita doesn't turn babyface, but ultimately he's just one more big name in a company where the problem was never a lack of big names.
a lot of people believe that he could have easily been the man to take Hogan's spot, if not, he would have definitely been a big weapon for Jim Crockett to go against McMahon

He could have been rebuilt and still become a huge star (Hogan would have made sure he got rebuilt because Hogan wanted to work with him). The legend of The Undertaker is definitely lessened without The Streak, but he's still the freakin' Undertaker. He'd have his mystique and he'd have his presence and charisma and push.
I think he would have still been a huge star, but at least the last 10 yrs would had been a whole lot different when the man doesn't have an actual reason to return every year at WM.

XIV

Post by XIV » Apr 28th, '17, 14:15

What if neither Chris Benoit or Eddie Guerrero died when they did.
Have A Nice Day!

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Apr 28th, '17, 14:42

XIV wrote:What if neither Chris Benoit or Eddie Guerrero died when they did.

well, if Eddie doesn't die, maybe Benoit doesn't go into full depression, he would just end up like Dynamite Kid. Without Benoits' death, maybe WWE would had been different, the whole PG/wellness era kinda started after that

XIV

Post by XIV » Apr 28th, '17, 16:43

I have so many what ifs... this is an amazing topic choice.

What if Howard Finkel doesn't coin the phrase wrestlemania?

What if Owen Hart makes it to the ring safely?
Have A Nice Day!

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Apr 28th, '17, 18:23

XIV wrote:What if Owen Hart makes it to the ring safely?

this one i think Owen would have followed Bret to WCW for a while, then retire by 99 and become a trainer, which would potentially mean that the dungeon would had trained more guys. But yeah, i think he already had plans to retire and i would imagine he had saved his money. Owen was a good smart kid, he just trusted the wrong person

XIV

Post by XIV » Apr 28th, '17, 18:37

cero2k wrote:
XIV wrote:What if Owen Hart makes it to the ring safely?

this one i think Owen would have followed Bret to WCW for a while, then retire by 99 and become a trainer, which would potentially mean that the dungeon would had trained more guys. But yeah, i think he already had plans to retire and i would imagine he had saved his money. Owen was a good smart kid, he just trusted the wrong person

I think something similar to this, but I definitely think Owen goes to WCW, puts down the blue blazer gimmick wins the big belt or the US Title from Bret and then later goes into training. He'd probably be in The Performance Centre about now too training the next batch.
Have A Nice Day!

WrestlingJoker

Post by WrestlingJoker » Apr 29th, '17, 11:02

cero2k wrote:
XIV wrote:What if neither Chris Benoit or Eddie Guerrero died when they did.

well, if Eddie doesn't die, maybe Benoit doesn't go into full depression, he would just end up like Dynamite Kid. Without Benoits' death, maybe WWE would had been different, the whole PG/wellness era kinda started after that

The wellness policy was probably the only good thing to come out of Benoit's death (and banning shots to the head). What happened with Dynamite Kid?

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Apr 29th, '17, 12:13

What if WWE never buried The Ultimate Warrior? Lol