BRM's ROH Show-Renaming Thread

All ROH Related Reviews and Discussions
Big Red Machine

Re: BRM's ROH Show-Renaming Thread

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 6th, '16, 15:46

cero2k wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:
cero2k wrote:I can't disagree with anything there, all year last year I was under the idea that any non-named show was feeding the TV show. This is also helping me understand some people I know that have a lot of trouble following ROH just with the TV/PPV
With the exception of the Vegas show (and particularly Kyle making Lethal tap), I thought they did a good job of making sure that storyline-relevant stuff from those shows did air on TV. Maybe the Elgin "face turn" in Amarillo should have aired on TV, too, but that whole storyline was so poorly-executed that the whole idea that Elgin turned face during that match almost seems more like something fans have found to better explain the storyline than it does something that was put there by the booker for the purposes of it being important to the story... but that all just shows how poorly the house shows are being used: the hardest of the hardcore who watch every show still aren't clear on exactly what events have led to some important storyline developments. It's like Delirious is telling us "this is the general gist of what is going on" but then doesn't fill in the details. We understand what they are trying to get at, but it doesn't feel as genuine. It's exposition rather than a series of events we see for ourselves.
the two things i saw myself explaining the most last year was that matches had already been signed/announced or that such and such said something in a promo. I think we that follow show by show, it's easier for us to follow since we see the progress on how they book shows, but when watching TV for instance, the Castle vs Young was suuper disconnected because you were not seeing the progress each show. Or for instance, I still have no idea why Shelley tagged with ACH and Sydal at Final Battle.
To me, it rarely felt like there was any progress at all, either on the house shows or on TV.
No one can figure out what the reason for the ACH vs. Sydal series was because there was no adequately explained reason. Just some side comments from the announcers about so many different little things that I can’t remember most of them (I think at one point they said there might be some jealousy there, and a another point they said that ACH wanted to prove himself against a veteran and then there was something about one of them not being sure if he could count on the other or not). There was nothing leading up to it, either on the house shows or on TV.
Castle vs. Silas felt disjointed because there was no progression of any kind. Silas won the match so the Boys had to go with Silas. Then the Boys turned on Silas and went back with Castle. There was no attempt to show us how sad Dalton was that he didn’t have the Boys (the announcers mentioned it maybe once, but there was nothing done through promos or through Dalton’s actions, which means that Delirious never told Dalton to anything like that or booked him in a way that let him show that- and I’m confident in blaming this one on Delirious because no matter what you think of Dalton Castle, you can’t deny that the man knows his character), nothing done to show us that the Boys might be having a change of heart and might want to stay with Silas, or at least might want to try earning his respect.

As for Shelley teaming with Sydal and ACH, I assumed it was because he doesn’t like the KRD and they also have issues with the KRD (stemming from the SOTF match) so he wanted to team with them to fight the KRD. That being said, there is really no excuse for him not to cut a promo about it. It wouldn’t even be hard, either. ROH is the place for honor and the KRD winning via interference is dishonorable and has no place in ROH, so Shelley will even go to war with his best pal in order to stand up for the company that put him on the map.
I think that this total lack of a clear explanation is a sign of an even bigger problem. I think Delirious is relying too much on the emotional punch of the moment as something that will make up for poor storytelling. He thinks we will be so angry or shocked that Adam Cole turned on Kyle O’Reilly that we’ll overlook how stupid the whole “it was an evil plan all along” explanation is, or that everyone will be so shocked by the reveal that Alex Shelley was the guy who screwed the Addiction of the tag titles and is now standing face to face with Chris Sabin that he doesn’t think he’ll need a good, logical explanation for why Shelley screwed the Addiction and why he felt the need to hide his identity while doing so
Hidden text.
and why Sabin would ever consider teaming with him after he did so and after he decided to team with ACH and Sydal against them at Final Battle, because the spoilers from the post-Final Battle TV tapings do seem to at least be teasing that Sabin will turn babyface
He thinks we’ll be so happy that the Boys are back with Dalton that we won’t question why they are allowed to back to him now, or why they just cost him a match a minute before rejoining him.
It’s very…. Russo-esque, to use a scary word. He seems to think that we will just kind of accept the status quo that we are told to accept without thinking about it. ACH hasn’t done sh*t all year aside from lose a feud to Adam Page, but we’re telling you he deserves to be an All-Star, so you should all believe us. It also explains why the televised part of Elgin’s face turn was just the announcers telling us that #BigMike has turned his life around and has turned over a new leaf as opposed to doing anything to actually show us this transition. And that’s not good. It’s the sort of thinking that allows you to ignore wins and losses (especially at house shows) because whatever someone says on TV should somehow trump the things we see with our own eyes and the logical conclusions we should come to from them.
The more I think about it, the more clear it becomes that this is exactly how Delirious approaches things: the pop of the moment is the most important thing, and people will believe that they are told on TV without thinking. Look at the booking of the California/Lockport weekend (California especially):
The Addiction start off the show with a solid tag team win, then cut a promo demanding that they get a rematch for the tag titles, which is something they are 100% entitled to. Then, in the main event, they job cleanly to the Briscoes, who have mostly been wrestling singles matches this year. Why? Because in Delirious’ mind, it’s more important to get than random pop for a Briscoes win from which the Briscoes gain nothing than it is to keep your presumptive #1 contenders to the tag titles strong. It also explains why a lone Matt Jackson got to completely get the best of the Kingdom so many times that weekend: Because the random pop for him superkicking Cole and Taven or beating Taven is more important than doing anything that could actually be used to build heat in the long term.

That is the exact sort of thinking that leads you to too many turns and too many swerves and too much overbooking, and that is the exact opposite of what ROH is supposed to be about.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 18th, '16, 11:14

Bumped for update for Indy.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 9th, '16, 17:21

Big Red Machine wrote:
cero2k wrote: the two things i saw myself explaining the most last year was that matches had already been signed/announced or that such and such said something in a promo. I think we that follow show by show, it's easier for us to follow since we see the progress on how they book shows, but when watching TV for instance, the Castle vs Young was suuper disconnected because you were not seeing the progress each show. Or for instance, I still have no idea why Shelley tagged with ACH and Sydal at Final Battle.
To me, it rarely felt like there was any progress at all, either on the house shows or on TV.
No one can figure out what the reason for the ACH vs. Sydal series was because there was no adequately explained reason. Just some side comments from the announcers about so many different little things that I can’t remember most of them (I think at one point they said there might be some jealousy there, and a another point they said that ACH wanted to prove himself against a veteran and then there was something about one of them not being sure if he could count on the other or not). There was nothing leading up to it, either on the house shows or on TV.
Castle vs. Silas felt disjointed because there was no progression of any kind. Silas won the match so the Boys had to go with Silas. Then the Boys turned on Silas and went back with Castle. There was no attempt to show us how sad Dalton was that he didn’t have the Boys (the announcers mentioned it maybe once, but there was nothing done through promos or through Dalton’s actions, which means that Delirious never told Dalton to anything like that or booked him in a way that let him show that- and I’m confident in blaming this one on Delirious because no matter what you think of Dalton Castle, you can’t deny that the man knows his character), nothing done to show us that the Boys might be having a change of heart and might want to stay with Silas, or at least might want to try earning his respect.

As for Shelley teaming with Sydal and ACH, I assumed it was because he doesn’t like the KRD and they also have issues with the KRD (stemming from the SOTF match) so he wanted to team with them to fight the KRD. That being said, there is really no excuse for him not to cut a promo about it. It wouldn’t even be hard, either. ROH is the place for honor and the KRD winning via interference is dishonorable and has no place in ROH, so Shelley will even go to war with his best pal in order to stand up for the company that put him on the map.
I think that this total lack of a clear explanation is a sign of an even bigger problem. I think Delirious is relying too much on the emotional punch of the moment as something that will make up for poor storytelling. He thinks we will be so angry or shocked that Adam Cole turned on Kyle O’Reilly that we’ll overlook how stupid the whole “it was an evil plan all along” explanation is, or that everyone will be so shocked by the reveal that Alex Shelley was the guy who screwed the Addiction of the tag titles and is now standing face to face with Chris Sabin that he doesn’t think he’ll need a good, logical explanation for why Shelley screwed the Addiction and why he felt the need to hide his identity while doing so
Hidden text.
and why Sabin would ever consider teaming with him after he did so and after he decided to team with ACH and Sydal against them at Final Battle, because the spoilers from the post-Final Battle TV tapings do seem to at least be teasing that Sabin will turn babyface
He thinks we’ll be so happy that the Boys are back with Dalton that we won’t question why they are allowed to back to him now, or why they just cost him a match a minute before rejoining him.
It’s very…. Russo-esque, to use a scary word. He seems to think that we will just kind of accept the status quo that we are told to accept without thinking about it. ACH hasn’t done sh*t all year aside from lose a feud to Adam Page, but we’re telling you he deserves to be an All-Star, so you should all believe us. It also explains why the televised part of Elgin’s face turn was just the announcers telling us that #BigMike has turned his life around and has turned over a new leaf as opposed to doing anything to actually show us this transition. And that’s not good. It’s the sort of thinking that allows you to ignore wins and losses (especially at house shows) because whatever someone says on TV should somehow trump the things we see with our own eyes and the logical conclusions we should come to from them.
The more I think about it, the more clear it becomes that this is exactly how Delirious approaches things: the pop of the moment is the most important thing, and people will believe that they are told on TV without thinking. Look at the booking of the California/Lockport weekend (California especially):
The Addiction start off the show with a solid tag team win, then cut a promo demanding that they get a rematch for the tag titles, which is something they are 100% entitled to. Then, in the main event, they job cleanly to the Briscoes, who have mostly been wrestling singles matches this year. Why? Because in Delirious’ mind, it’s more important to get than random pop for a Briscoes win from which the Briscoes gain nothing than it is to keep your presumptive #1 contenders to the tag titles strong. It also explains why a lone Matt Jackson got to completely get the best of the Kingdom so many times that weekend: Because the random pop for him superkicking Cole and Taven or beating Taven is more important than doing anything that could actually be used to build heat in the long term.

That is the exact sort of thinking that leads you to too many turns and too many swerves and too much overbooking, and that is the exact opposite of what ROH is supposed to be about.
I've been thinking more about this today after someone pointed out to me how ridiculous it was that AJ Styles came out and celebrated with the Bullet Club at the end the Atlanta show. I mean... they just beat him up and kicked him out of the group less than three weeks before! I thought and thought about why the hell Delirious would think this made sense or was a good idea, and the only thing I could come up with that he was just booking for the cheap pop of the Bullet Club all being there together and saying goodbye.
So I tried to figure out what I could have done that would have been better while also still AJ involved at the end, and I came up with the following scenario:
Have the big Champions vs. Bullet Club titles on the line match end when War Machine pins Anderson. Then, after the match, the Bullet Club attack War Machine with chairs. Roddy and Lethal, both being heels, decide that this isn't their problem, so they bail, leaving War Machine to be beaten up. Then I'd have the ACH/Shelley/Sydal unit run in to try to make the save and they would get beaten up, too, before finally AJ would come out and make the save, hitting Anderson and Gallows with Styles Clashes while sending the Bucks scurrying.
This way you still get to give AJ his big babyface moment on the way out, but you also:
1. Have an interaction that builds towards the Omega & Young Bucks vs. Sydal/ACH/KUSHIDA match at the 14th Anniversary Show
2. Create some heat between the Bucks and War Machine. Then you can give the Bucks a win or two at the February shows (especially on the PPV, and probably have them beat ANX the night after the TV tapings), and use this to build towards War Machine defending the tag titles against the Bucks in Philly (which is a show that Omega will also be at, and if you do the tag title match as the main event and do no other run-ins all night, I think you could have Omega run in and hit one of the War Machine guys with a title belt as a killer false finish.

But instead we got a segment that made no sense, are getting a totally random six man tag on the PPV, and will probably get an equally random and meaningless main event in Philly. It's really disheartening to realize just how much stuff Delirious' lazy booking makes us miss out on.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Feb 9th, '16, 18:18

Big Red Machine wrote:
But instead we got a segment that made no sense, are getting a totally random six man tag on the PPV, and will probably get an equally random and meaningless main event in Philly. It's really disheartening to realize just how much stuff Delirious' lazy booking makes us miss out on.
i wouldn't blame Delirious 100% here, I'm sure he had other plans for this show that didn't include having to say goodbye to AJ Styles. Bullet Club wanted their big goodbye, kliq goodbye hug moment, i kinda feel that it was worth just throwing it out there and let these guys have their moment.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 9th, '16, 19:20

cero2k wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:
i wouldn't blame Delirious 100% here, I'm sure he had other plans for this show that didn't include having to say goodbye to AJ Styles. Bullet Club wanted their big goodbye, kliq goodbye hug moment, i kinda feel that it was worth just throwing it out there and let these guys have their moment.
Except that the moment makes no sense!

And even if this wasn't the original plan... so what? Sometimes sh*t happens and you have to change your plans. Look at what Gabe did with Sami and Sabre Jr. None of that was supposed to happen, but Gabe used it to tell a little story that gets Sami's EVOLVE run off to a good start. And that's what ROH has been missing: The little stories. The short pushes where we give a guy a few wins to build him up for a world title shot, give him his title shot and have him lose, or just a little something that creates some animosity to make an undercard match feel more important like the Sonjay vs. Delirious feud in 2009. It's another example of Delirious not putting in the effort to give us a well-booked product.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Feb 9th, '16, 22:22

Big Red Machine wrote: It's another example of Delirious not putting in the effort to give us a well-booked product.
sometimes letting your wrestlers have a good feel goodbye is more important than booking your storyline

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 9th, '16, 22:39

cero2k wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote: It's another example of Delirious not putting in the effort to give us a well-booked product.
sometimes letting your wrestlers have a good feel goodbye is more important than booking your storyline
No it's not. It never is. The feel-good moment doesn't advance anything, sell any tickets, DVDs or VODs.

And do you really think anyone gave a crap about Anderson and Gallows getting a feel-good moment? No. It's AJ that people care about, and this would still give AJ the feel-good moment.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Feb 9th, '16, 22:55

Big Red Machine wrote:
cero2k wrote:
No it's not. It never is. The feel-good moment doesn't advance anything, sell any tickets, DVDs or VODs.

And do you really think anyone gave a crap about Anderson and Gallows getting a feel-good moment? No. It's AJ that people care about, and this would still give AJ the feel-good moment.
a feel good moment that didn't advance stories just gave WWE a lot last night. I'd buy a DVD with it, i'd buy tickets to it

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 9th, '16, 23:23

cero2k wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:
cero2k wrote:

a feel good moment that didn't advance stories just gave WWE a lot last night. I'd buy a DVD with it, i'd buy tickets to it
That's much different. That's a retirement due to injury that has been up in the air for months. This is three guys going to WWE, two of whom were never really even that important to ROH.
Also, that didn't go against established storylines.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Feb 10th, '16, 09:01

Big Red Machine wrote: That's much different. That's a retirement due to injury that has been up in the air for months. This is three guys going to WWE, two of whom were never really even that important to ROH.
it was the same thing, to guys taking off into the sunset and saying goodbye to their promotion. It doesn't hurt anyone having AJ have his moment, I rather see AJ have his goodbye moment with his friends than build up to a dumb match for ACH and Sydal that I don't even care that they're together

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 10th, '16, 10:27

cero2k wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote: That's much different. That's a retirement due to injury that has been up in the air for months. This is three guys going to WWE, two of whom were never really even that important to ROH.
it was the same thing, to guys taking off into the sunset and saying goodbye to their promotion. It doesn't hurt anyone having AJ have his moment, I rather see AJ have his goodbye moment with his friends than build up to a dumb match for ACH and Sydal that I don't even care that they're together
It's not about ACH and Sydal. It's about the integrity of the storylines- both ROH's and New Japan's- and it's about AJ.
It's about building up to a tag title match between War Machine and the Young Bucks, getting some heat on the Bullet Club and making this Omega-led version of the Bullet Club different from the AJ one by making them heels, which is something that ROH desperately needs right now. It's about injecting some color into the storylines, making the titles feel more prestigious, and trying to do something with the Bullet Club that isn't just a random spotfest. And all of that is more important that Bullet Club hanging out in the ring together and breaking kayfabe.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 4th, '16, 21:41

Bumped for update through 6/3

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 13th, '16, 12:23

Updated through Field of Honor 2016.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 18th, '17, 19:29

Bumped for update through the end of 2016.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Apr 23rd, '17, 21:23

Bumped for update of first quarter of 2017.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 14th, '18, 15:53

Bumped for update for the last three quarters of 2017.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Apr 22nd, '19, 01:53

Bumped for the first three quarters of 2018.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Dec 21st, '19, 15:38

2019:
Bumped for a big update. The end of 2018 is in the original post. Jan-Aug 2019 is here because it won't fit in the other one

(Honor Reigns Supreme 2019)- 1/13- I think “New Blood” is a pretty perfect name for this show, which emphasizes the new guys coming in now that the AEW crew are gone, plus it plays into LifeBlood’s, name pretty well. (Yes, I realize that many of these people actually made their debuts in the fall, but they had been booked sporadically until now, and we obviously can’t distinguish that we are talking about their ascent rather than debuts by call the show New Blood Rising, now can we?)

(Road to G1 Supercard: Night 1)- 1/24- I despise the G1 Supercard name because it has nothing to do with the G1, but I despised the names of these shows even more, because they didn’t do anything to build to the show that they are supposedly on the road to. So little, in fact, that they had a tag team #1 contendership tournament where the winners would get a title shot at the 17th Anniversary Show. not G1 Supercard Road to the 17th Anniversary Show would be a more fitting name for this weekend of shows, but I hate those lazy names, too. Instead we’re going to go with Tag Wars 2019, which is what they called the damn tournament in the first place, plus there were many non-tournament tag matches as well, including a big ten-man tag as the main event of night 2. This show is “Tag Wars 2019: Night 1.”

(Road to G1 Supercard: Night 2)- 1/25- “Tag Wars 2019: Night 2

(Road to G1 Supercard: Night 3)- 1/26- “Tag Wars 2019: Night 3

(Bound By Honor 2019: Miami)- 2/10- Guys used chairs when they weren’t supposed to, people missed the show because their wives were giving birth, we had a shocking title change, and a main event that turned into a big brawl. We’ll go with “Mayhem in Miami” for this one. Not particularly good, but at least it fits a hell of a lot better than “Bound By Honor” does for a show when people were constantly breaking the rules.

(Honor Rising 2019: Day 1)- 2/22- keep it, for the same reasons we do every year

(Honor Rising 2019: Day 2)- 2/23- ditto

(17th Anniversary Show)- 3/15- obvious keep

(Road to G1 Supercard: Night 4)- 3/31- How f*cking dumb is it to three “Road to G1 Supercard” shows, then do a bunch of shows with totally different names, then go back to Road to G1 Supercard. What were those other shows? Detours?
At least this show actually felt like it was part of the road to G1 Supercard so we’ll just let this be “Road to G1 Supercard.”

(G1 Supercard)- 4/6- I would have preferred something like “Honor Invades The Garden” or the usual Supercard of Honor plus number, I realize that this is a joint show and thus needed an NJPW tie-in as well, so I’ll give them a pass on G1 Supercard.

(Masters of the Craft 2019)- Another one from their bin of terrible generic go-to names I wish they’d do away with. This show had two title matches and a #1 contendership match, so I’ll call it “Gold Rush III.” Like the previous two iterations, this match had a six-man tag in the main event that featured champions all on one side. Also, this show had Rush on it, so that works, too.

(War of the Worlds Tour 2019: Buffalo)- 5/8- This can be our “War of the Worlds 2019” because there really isn’t anything better to call it. It’s mostly just a bunch of random ROH vs. NJPW stuff.

War of the Worlds Tour 2019: Toronto)- 5/9- Same issues as last night, but this one takes place in Canada so I’ll let it be “Global Wars 2019.”

War of the Worlds Tour 2019: Grand Rapids)- 5/11- This had a similar issue to the other two, but I was able to find a common thread around people sticking themselves in situations where they either shouldn’t have been in or weren’t originally scheduled to be in, and when combined with the ROH vs. NJPW stuff, I think that’s enough of a justification to call this show “Invasion.”

(State of the Art: Portland)- 6/2- “Defy or Deny 2019.” I know there is another Defy or Deny match later in the year, but we don’t want the fans catching on to that so we call this one 2019 and come up with a clever name for the other.

(Best in the World 2019)- 6/28- keep it

(Manhattan Mayhem 2019)- 7/20- Definitely a worthy show for this prestigious name, but I’d keep going with the numbers instead of the years, just to give a sense of history (and don’t use the name if the show isn’t worthy, just to keep the numbers down as much as possible), so this is "Manhattan Mayhem VII."

(Mass Hysteria)- 7/21- I adore this name. Definitely keep, and one I’ll probably giving sequels to in the future.

(Summer Supercard)- 8/9- Keep it. A fine and clever replacement for not getting a proper Supercard of Honor this year, plus it plays into G1 Supercard a bit. I kind of like having two shows without the full SCOH name in the year that we don’t get a proper one. It will help fans remember that there was a year we skipped having a Supercard of Honor name used.

(Saturday Night at Center Stage)- 8/24 “Champions vs. All-Stars 2019.” Keep “Saturday Night at Center Stage for a time when you’re stuck without a decent name.

(Honor For All 2019) -8/25- This show had the other Defy or Deny match this year, and was the first time in quite a while that I can remember the champion not winning it, so we’ll call this show “Defiant.” I’m not worried about it spoiling the match because there are three challengers, and this show also had several other moments where people defied either their mentors (Josh Woods), the general rules, refused to go down without putting up a surprisingly good fight (Rock N’ Roll Express) or were just generally stubborn (Dalton & Hendry).

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation