Things you are thankful for in Wrestling?

Tell it to the world!!
cero2k
Site Admin

Things you are thankful for in Wrestling?

Post by cero2k » Nov 27th, '14, 18:25

Today being Thanksgiving here in the US, it be cool if we could share those things that we're thankful for, at least in the sense of this group and wrestling altogether.

I'll start to break the ice.

I'm really thankful for just the amount of wrestling there is today and how easy it is to get to it. Years past it wasn't that easy to catch Puro or Lucha in the US, and now we have Lucha Underground and NJPW has become more accessible. There are tons and tons of indie promotions with a great product. TNA while still having many haters is still alive and I can't wait for them to come back. And hell, even WWE has had some good wrestling matches this year, and while i'm not into it, i recognize that the WWE Network is an amazing product so the new school can learn a little.

I'm thankful that you guys keep coming here, after all these years, this place still has new posts every day, and I couldn't ask for more.

Big Red Machine

Re: Things you are thankful for in Wrestling?

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 27th, '14, 20:25

I 100% agree with everything Cero said (especially about this website and the community here. You guys all rock, and I cannot think of a group of people I'd rather talk wrestling with).

I would also like to add an interesting one: I'm thankful for breaks from wrestling. TNA's hiatus will be great for me because, to be honest, I needed a break. I used to look forward to TNA. Even when it was awful, there times when I couldn't wait to see what stupid thing they would do next, but in the past few months, I'd hit the point where I just wasn't excited about the show. I broke my own rules by looking at some spoilers and I would leave the show sitting in my DVR for days before getting around to watching it, and watching it felt like a chore. Even where there was something I enjoyed, I just couldn't get excited about where it was going. Now, with a break from the product, I think I'll be more excited when they come back.

I'm also thankful for ROH's Road Rage shows. I used to hate these because I felt that they gave away matches on the PPV I had just paid for on free TV. Now, I view it as an occasional three week break from the company that lets me recharge my batteries after the excitement of a big show.

I'm also thankful that Superstars and Main Event aren't being utilized well because, as a fan, I would feel pressure to watch them, and with SOOOO much wrestling on during the week, I'd get overwhelmed. I realized the other day that I have about A HUNDRED DVDs that I have meant to get around to watching that I just haven't got around to. These shows not being good will make more time for me to watch those.

I know that what I have said in this post might come off as snarky, and obviously it would be great if Smackdown and Main Event and Superstars were all must-see, but they aren't and that gives me time to enjoy more kinds of wrestling, and without the pressure of a "deadline" of having to watch the show before the next show or else risk falling behind and not knowing what is going on.

Also, the WWE Network is amazing.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Nov 29th, '14, 10:54

I am thankful for having a drama free place to come and post the wrestle-talk. It's been said a few times now, but there isn't an active poster here I wouldn't gladly have a beer with, and there's plenty of inactive posters I'd welcome back with open arms. We have such a good thing here. A place where we can debate instead of fight, people don't get offended by jokes, and everyone has something very different, very unique, and very valuable to bring to the table.

I'm thankful for Khali's baby. Congrats bro. I know your fertile ghost is still lurking this forum.

Wrestle-wise, I'm thankful for:

-CM Punk finally clearing things up. It all makes sense now. Hopefully it opened some eyes and some doors to better the working environment for these guys.

-WWE Network. Over a half a year in, I still can't believe what I get for $9.99 a month. I'm thankful for the WCCW content, it's the real hidden gem of the whole thing. Such a fascinating company. NXT has given me something to actually look forward to each week (as opposed to feeling obligated to watch), and I'm thankful I don't have to jump through hoops to get it.

-TNA figuring things out, getting a second (third? fourth?) chance. Hopefully they've learned from their mistakes, and Destination America gives them the support a network should.

SONICdopeFRESH

Post by SONICdopeFRESH » Dec 1st, '14, 00:04

STING JOINING THE WWE. I am SOOOOOOO thankful for that. You have no idea
Booker T: "HIP BONE CONNECTED TO THE LEG BONE!!!" ...... Cole: "WHAAAAT?"

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Dec 1st, '14, 00:25

SONICdopeFRESH wrote:STING JOINING THE WWE. I am SOOOOOOO thankful for that. You have no idea
Heh. I was wondering when you were going to show up.
What do you think of him facing Triple H at Mania?

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Dec 1st, '14, 17:44

And no , BRM-I would say you sound "Smarky " or "Snarky" -whatever you said I can't remember even though I just read it-moreso , a guy finding beauty in things he dislikes while saying he dislikes them.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Dec 1st, '14, 18:12

KILLdozer wrote:And no , BRM-I would say you sound "Smarky " or "Snarky" -whatever you said I can't remember even though I just read it-moreso , a guy finding beauty in things he dislikes while saying he dislikes them.
There is such thing as opinion. I can recognize that something might appeal to others but not to me. I can appreciate that something is well-constructed without actually enjoying it.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Dec 1st, '14, 18:23

Big Red Machine wrote:
KILLdozer wrote:And no , BRM-I would say you sound "Smarky " or "Snarky" -whatever you said I can't remember even though I just read it-moreso , a guy finding beauty in things he dislikes while saying he dislikes them.
There is such thing as opinion. I can recognize that something might appeal to others but not to me. I can appreciate that something is well-constructed without actually enjoying it.
What are you tellin' me about opinion for? For once, don't overly-analyze everything lol

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Dec 1st, '14, 18:25

KILLdozer wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:
What are you tellin' me about opinion for? For once, don't overly-analyze everything lol
Because, honestly, I'm really not quite sure what you are saying half the time.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Dec 1st, '14, 18:37

Is it my vernacular? Lol

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Dec 1st, '14, 19:17

KILLdozer wrote:Is it my vernacular? Lol
Not so much that as the fact that there often seem to be missing words, combined with the fact that sarcasm doesn't translate well over the internet.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Dec 1st, '14, 19:21

Big Red Machine wrote:
KILLdozer wrote:Is it my vernacular? Lol
Not so much that as the fact that there often seem to be missing words, combined with the fact that sarcasm doesn't translate well over the internet.

Yea I notice I leave out words a lot lately-I'm constantly tired from working all night so I just don't always notice.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Dec 1st, '14, 19:28

And also-Just ask me. Or say something. Literally anything of the sort. Here I was thinking my attempts at debating were being legitimately ignored.

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Dec 1st, '14, 20:51

I know I'm a little bit late on this topic (a LOT late by Canadian standards :P), but I don't usually peruse the forums much outside of the news lately.

There are a lot of things I am thankful for in wrestling. Mind blowing athleticism, five star matches, emotional investment in babyfaces and pure unrelenting hatred of heels, suspension of disbelief for five hours a week...

Roman Reigns (come on, I'm female, I'm allowed).

But most importantly, I am thankful that for the three hours I'm watching RAW on Monday nights, regardless of how bad it is, I'm a mark again for that span of time (until the show is over), and I forget about whatever problems are going on with me personally. It's a pleasant distraction from life that I sometimes need very desperately. I can watch wrestling when I'm so depressed that I'm emotionally crippled, and it brings me back to life for a few hours. There are a precious few things in life that do that these days...

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Dec 1st, '14, 22:22

I'm thankful for Ryback. My definite, hands down, no contest, Favorite wrestler. I was instantly swept away with the feed me more movement back then, and I'm also even more thankful for him being back to the old him. Truthfully reading about that was the whole reason I got back into watching wrestling at all. I'd just not been watching it from not remembering or caring either.

Him in general and the whole " FEED! ME! MORE! , are truly my biggest inspiration when it comes to working out. Mark Henry is another and I've been doing it since I was 15 and am now 24 ...and I mean constantly...consecutively , but some extra motivation never hurts. As Serrujuunin said-it's wonderful the fun we have in front of the television in a way only wrestling fans can, and for that reason I'm thankfulthankful for having a true reason to be pulled back in.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Dec 1st, '14, 23:28

KILLdozer wrote:And also-Just ask me. Or say something. Literally anything of the sort. Here I was thinking my attempts at debating were being legitimately ignored.
Sorry. That wasn't my intent at all.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Dec 1st, '14, 23:48

It's alright brotha-nothing to it.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Dec 2nd, '14, 00:09

Also-I can't be the only one who enjoys "channeling JBL" AKA , playing the heel announcer all night long.

Bulletclubfan2014

Post by Bulletclubfan2014 » Dec 2nd, '14, 04:55

I'm thankful for that New Japan and Lucha Underground are airing on my TV every week
You thought you had all the answers I changed the question -Rowdy Roddy Piper

Earth Child

Post by Earth Child » Dec 2nd, '14, 18:47

Serujuunin wrote:Roman Reigns (come on, I'm female, I'm allowed)

Right on!

I am thankful for this site, and all the friends I've made here. Thanks Cero.

I am thankful for the millions of times I've had trouble sleeping and I've put on wrestling and the sweet tones of Gorilla Monsoon and Jesse Ventura have lulled me to sleep.

I also thankful that even after all these years I still love wrestling and no matter what mood I'm in there is a type of wrestling out there to suit it.

And after keeping it a secret for so long, I finally told my boyfriend of 3 years and found out he likes wrestling too. so we watch it together now and feel no shame! But he doesn't know much about WCW so I must educate him on that.