NWK Reviews Wrestlemania 4

All WWE/F Related Reviews and Discussions
NWK2000

NWK Reviews Wrestlemania 4

Post by NWK2000 » May 7th, '14, 23:21

Going into the PPV, my thoughts
I can only imagine how fun this concept must've been in 1988 as it was happening live. You get two (one definete, anothe potential) WM3 rematches, and possibly a brand new champion. I'm genuinely looking forward to watching this show.

Invitational Battle Royal
Bret Hart vs Jim Neidhart vs The Young Stallions vs Sika vs Dangerous Danny Davis vs The Killer Bees vs Bad News Brown vs Sam Houston,k vs the the Rogouaus vs Ken Patera vs The Junk Yard Dog vs two Russians vs Hillbilly Jim vs Harley Race v George Steele
-George Steele is kinda just hanging out outside the ring.
-Sika got eliminated way too early
-One of the few closeup camera shots they get is Junkyard Dog not selling at all.
-They try to sell it like Junkyard Dog was quick enough to avoid a double team from Bret Hart and Bad News Brown, but in reality he sort of just stepped out of the way
-Bret Hart and Bad News have an entertaining synergy, and they're the last two.
-I love Bad News, but can I just say the Ghetto Blaster is the most impractical strike in wrestling?
- Anyway, Bad News wins, get jumped from behind by Bret, and the trophy gets destroyed. Trophies don't have very long shelf-life in wrestling do they?
5.5/10

Bob Uecker, who was on commentary for the Battle Royal, leaves the announce booth, presumably to go have sex with Vana White. This made me chuckle when it probably shouldn't have.

Finkel explains the tournament. This was apparently only for the live corwd, as we can't hear crap. "The Lifestyle of the Rich and Famous'" Robin Leech reads the proclamation to start the Championship tournament, and it sounds great.
Hacksaw Jim Duggan vs "The Million Dollar Man" Ted Dibiase w/ Virgil and Andre the Giant
-Hacksaw hits Dibiase with an atomic drop and Ted Dibiase takes a sick looking flip bump
-Another flip bump by Dibiase off of an axe handle counter.
-Andre grabs Duggan out of the three point stance and knocks him out, allowing Dibiase to pick up the win
6.5/10
Dino Bravo w/ Frenchy Martin vs Don Muraco w/ Superstar Billy Graham
-Don Muraco attempts a slingshot splash, lands on his feet, and almost slips and falls down, poor guy.
-Muraco gets his head caught in the ropes, and it looks really fake.
- Dino gets DQed because he pulled the ref into a Muraco forearm.
4.5/10

Bob Ueker interviews Honky Tonk Man, eh

Greg "the Hammer" Valentine w/ Jimmy Hart vs Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat w/ a newborn Richie Steamboat
-Richie looks really confused as Ricky hands him off to his wife, which is hilarious
- Lots of false finishes.
- Steamboat really sells operating "on instinct" by slamming Valentine's head into the matt
-Vantine wins, damnit.
7/10

The British Bulldogs and Koko B Ware promo. Apparently the Bulldogs have been training Metilda (the bulldog mascot) to hunt for Weasels, as they're fighting the Islanders and Bobby Heenan. I couldn't tell if this was the Bulldogs joking around or not. Koko B. Ware does the best promo work of the three. Okay, so either Gorilla Monsoon is an idiot or in on the joke, because he says the dog "Is in great shape"
"The Natural" Butch Reed w/ Slick vs "Macho Man" Randy Savage w/ Miss Elizabeth
Meh
4/10

Classic Heenan promo
Bam Bam Bigelow w/ Oliver Hymperdink vs One Man Gang w/Slick
One Man Gang wins with some cheap stuff
3/10

Hulk Hogan promo. Was good, until he insinuates that the Trump Plaza will fall into the sea and he will save every Hulkamaniac on his back.
"Ravishing" Rick Rude w/ Bobby Heenan vs. Jake "The Snake" Roberts"
They wrestle to a draw great back and forth, best match of the night, but neither man advance
6.5/10

Mean Gene Oakerlund and Vana White run down the tournament results. Vana, of course, picks all the babyfaces to win, straight up saying she doesn't like the Million Dollar Man. Hilariously, she calls Elizabeth a "woman-person"
Ultimate Warrior vs Hercules w/Bobby Heenan
Fun big man match
-Man, the whole "heel manager things heel has won but gets outraged when it's reversed" spot is getting real old.
5/10
Andre the Giant w/ Virgil and Ted Dibiase vs Hulk Hogan
-Great stuff, Hogan and Andre do some of the best work here, with neither man doing the job.
7.5/10

Randy Savage promo- Randy calls Hulk Hogan a cheated man, even though he used the chair first. I know Randy's great on the mic, but I wish Elizabeth had gotten more mic time, she was great too.
Ted Dibiase vs Don Muraco w/ "Superstar" Billy Graham
7/10, Dibiase bumps all over for Muraco

Demoltion promo- ok
"Macho Man" Randy Savage w/ Elizabeth vs Greg the Hammer Valentine w/ Jimmy Hart
-Short, but Valentine put enough heat on Macho Man to make him the underdog
6.5/10

Gene Oakerlund is once again with Vana, she puts over Hulk, Liz, and Savage.
Honky Tonk Man w/Jimmy Hart and Peggy Sue
I popped for Brutus ruffling Honk's hair
-I never understood how a choke from a manager would even hurt.
-Props to Honky for teasing Shake Rattle and Roll
7.5/10
Rgar classic promo where Andre chokes Bob Uecker- Not nearly as awesome as history plays it up to be, but still one of Andre's best promos.
The Islanders and Bobby Heenan vs The British Bulldogs and Koko B. Ware w/Frankie the Parrot and Metilda
-Headscissors/DDT combo by Koko on both Islanders
-Bobby Heenan is wearing a biteproof vest, and Jesse Ventura calls him a Chinamen
-Heenan wins it for his team, but Metilda gets her revenger in a great post segment
One Man Gang w/ Slick vs Macho Man Randy Savage w/Elizabeth
-Great underdog stuff
-That axehandle on to both OMG and Slick is pretty awesome
5.5/10
Strike Force vs Demolition for the Tag Championships- 6.5/10
Robin Leech comes out with the WWF belt, Bob Uecker comes out, pretends to swing an imaginary ball, and pretends to miss said imaginary ball.
He finally gets his time with Vana, hooray!
Ted Dibiase w/ Andre vs Randy Savage w/ Elizabeth for the WWE Title
-Great babyface in peril stuff with Macho Man
- I like Hogan evening out the odds with Andre's cheating
7.5/10

Final thoughts
Really great PPV, nothing individually really shocks here but I would call this a must-see for wrestling fans.
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

Earth Child

Re: NWK Reviews Wrestlemania 4

Post by Earth Child » May 8th, '14, 18:50

NWK2000 wrote: Hulk Hogan promo. Was good, until he insinuates that the Trump Plaza will fall into the sea and he will save every Hulkamaniac on his back.
phpBB [video]

NWK2000 wrote:
"Ravishing" Rick Rude w/ Bobby Heenan vs. Jake "The Snake" Roberts"
They wrestle to a draw great back and forth, best match of the night, but neither man advance
6.5/10
Even though in the middle of this match people started to chant 'BORING"?

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » May 11th, '14, 20:07

Awesome! And the reason why I marked for Snake Rude was because I had no idea either of them were in the tourney, so I didn't know who'd win.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 11th, '14, 20:13

NWK2000 wrote:Awesome! And the reason why I marked for Snake Rude was because I had no idea either of them were in the tourney, so I didn't know who'd win.
And the WWE Network didn't spoil it for you?
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » May 12th, '14, 11:30

Big Red Machine wrote:
NWK2000 wrote:Awesome! And the reason why I marked for Snake Rude was because I had no idea either of them were in the tourney, so I didn't know who'd win.
It potentially could have, but I guess I wasn't paying attention, plus the only two things I knew about the tournament were Dibiase and Savage in the final, and Hulk/Andre going to a Double DQ

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 12th, '14, 11:58

NWK2000 wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:
It potentially could have, but I guess I wasn't paying attention, plus the only two things I knew about the tournament were Dibiase and Savage in the final, and Hulk/Andre going to a Double DQ
I find those damn tags so problematic. I've been meaning to call support about them.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3