BRM"s thoughts on the 1/20 Impact

All Impact Wrestling (FKA TNA/GFW 2017) Reviews and Discussions
Big Red Machine

BRM"s thoughts on the 1/20 Impact

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 21st, '11, 00:18

The show opened with a Angle-Jarrett video package. Why is the focus of this WRESTLING SHOW a soap opera between a man, his ex-wife, and her new husband?

OPENING SEGMENRT: Kurt's promo was great.

4 WAY MATCH: Mickie James vs Velvet Sky vs. Madison Rayne vs. Sarita- 4/10. Not very exciting. Madison "loading her glove" consisted of her shaking her hand a bunch of times, which looked moronic. Hebner took about 10 seconds to start counting the pin, then hesitated in the air for a good few seconds before hitting the canvas for the three, during which Madison decided to kick out. Hebner then called for the bell, without actually hitting the mat to count three.

Pretty goody promo by Beer Money

Flair's promo was pretty bad. I don't think Ric knows how college actually works.
MATT MORGAN vs. ROB TERRY (w/Ric Flair)- WTF? Morgan hits Terry with a Carbon Footprint RIGHT AWAY and pins him. So Immortal's "enforcer" has just been squashed- 0/10 DUD!
Then Abyss some out and saves Flair from Morgan. Then Morgan stats beating up both Abyss AND Terry until Flair distracts him, allowing Terry and Abyss to beat him down.

AJ and Kaz have a short conversation, then Crimson (I guess Red's family isn't very creative) comes and chokes AJ from behind with a wire, and hypes up something for February 3rd. If this "They" BS didn't work THE FIRST TIME, why do they think it will work now?

TNA X-DIVISION TITLE MATCH: Kaz(c) vs. Jay Lethal- 5.25/10 Kaz gets the pin by using the ropes.
After the match, Taz and Tenay note that Jackson James was the referee, and ask "how much longer are we going to talk about a learning curve?"
1) If he is this bad, the smart thing to do would be FIRE HIM!
2) It's kind of hard to blame James for something that most referees miss when Hebner screwed up royally in the Knockouts' match.

The JARRETTS-ANGLE SEGMENT:
"SLOPPY SECONDS!" clap! clap! clap!clap!clap! chant for Karen!
This was good, and Kurt interrupted Karen very quickly, so this didn't take up too much time. Karen is a very good heel, in a very Steph-esque way. At some point down the line, Karen needs to take an Angle Slam. The shots of Kurt destroying things backstage right afterwards were a great touch.

TOMMY DREAMER vs. JEFF HARDY- 5/10. Dull, with another dirty finish.

POPE SEGMENT: MORONIC! Pope just stole a computer. HE WAS THE ONLY ONE IN THE ROOM! Pope will be the first person that guy suspects!

AJ-FLAIR SEGMENT: Not going to lie. I actually laughed out loud when Flair iced AJ. The stuff with Flair and Kurt was good.

BEER MONEY vs. RVD & MR. ANDERSON- 6.75/10. Another dirty finish. So the only match on this show with a clean finish was the squash.
Taz and Tenay unfairly criticize Jackson James. Other refs do exactly what he did and don't get criticized.

Is it bad if I popped when Bubba shoved Kendrick?

FLAIR-JARRETT SEGMENT- I liked this because it showed not-quite dissension between Flair and Jarrett (symbolically representing Fortune and Immortal). This, combined with small things in the AJ-Kaz segment lead me to believe that the two groups will split

BUBBA-DEVON BRAWL- this was well done until the end. You can't Pillmanizer someone by hitting the chair with a chain! The physics doesn't work. A Pillmanizer works because you are pressing down on the chair with a lot of weight, making it pivot, and thus crushing the targeted limb (or neck). It is not the force that hurts the opponent, but rather the necessary weight to push the chair down. Hitting it with a chain, even at a high speed, wouldn't hurt Devon much at all. Kendrick getting his payback on Bubba was nice.

ANGLE-JARRETT BRAWL- This wasn't very good, but was a great way to set up the shocking ending with Abyss being impaled by Janice (much props to Abyss for his acting there). My one question is "why the hell did Immortal run away from Kurt? It was 7-on-1, or something like that!

Structurally, I had one issue with the show. The "main event" should have been the last thing before the Jarrett-Angle brawl. Having other stuff between it makes the "unscheduled" Jarrett-Angle brawl seem scheduled (how nice that they left so much time for it after the main event)

Anyhow, this show stunk. The matches were bad and the promos weren't that good.

Stupid Announcer Quotes:
1. Tenay once again says "in-ring aspect of Impact" and doesn't sound at all excited about the match. In addition to my same comments form last week... We already had some "in-ring" stuff tonight. Kurt was in the ring, and he even beat up Team Jarrett. So this doesn't "open the in-ring aspect of Impact." It IS, however, still THE FIRST MATCH!

2. Tenay- "That was after the interference of Tara backfired as well"- No it didn't. Madison couldn't capitalize on it... but it didn't backfire. Backfiring would be Madison getting hit by accident, or the ref seeing it.

3. Taz- "It looks like the numbers game has caught up with Matt Morgan once again"- What the hell are you talking about? IT'S ONE-ON-ONE!

4. GRRRR... Taz misuses the term "sacrificial lamb" YET AGAIN!
And you would think that someone in TNA would notice this and correct him... but either NO ONE IN TNA KNOWS WHAT THIS TERM MEANS... OR NO ONE IN TNA WATCHES IMPACT!
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

kirbs2002

Re: BRM"s thoughts on the 1/20 Impact

Post by kirbs2002 » Jan 21st, '11, 00:34

Big Red Machine wrote:3. Taz- "It looks like the numbers game has caught up with Matt Morgan once again"- What the hell are you talking about? IT'S ONE-ON-ONE!

4. GRRRR... Taz misuses the term "sacrifical lamb" YET AGAIN!
And you would think that someone in TNA would notice this and correct him... but either NO ONE IN TNA KNOWS WHAT THIS TERM MEANS... OR NO ONE IN TNA WATCHES IMPACT!
We want West back! *clap* *clap* *clapclapclap*
Reality TV is faker than "fake" wrestling!

"The views that I'm about to express are not necessarily those of anyone else but myself, but they ought to be and, in fact, they probably are"

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Jan 21st, '11, 08:54

well as far as the shelley injury and all that goes,,,neither one of em were on tv last night
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jan 21st, '11, 13:24

BRM, question, what did you think of angle asking for the sound crew to play his theme before he went into the iMPACT Zone??

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 21st, '11, 15:19

cero2k wrote:BRM, question, what did you think of angle asking for the sound crew to play his theme before he went into the iMPACT Zone??
It was a nice touch. It was one of those things that was intended to scream "THIS ISN'T SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN!" At the same time, why would they have a camera there unless they knew something was going to happen?
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3