BOTB: Promo Guy

All Time Greatest, Worst, Sickest, Weirdest, Funniest...you get the idea.
Big Red Machine

BOTB: Promo Guy

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 8th, '13, 16:09

Somehow we've never done this one before!
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Big Red Machine

Re: BOTB: Promo Guy

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 8th, '13, 16:13

I was thinking about this recently, and as awesome as guys like Jimmy Jacob, The Rock, CM Punk, Dean Ambrose, & Mick Foley, in terms of consistently cutting awesome promos, I think James Mitchell might well be the top. Those guys I just named have all missed at times, but I don't think I have ever heard a James Mitchell promo that was anything less than great.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » Jul 9th, '13, 00:05

Big Red Machine wrote:I was thinking about this recently, and as awesome as guys like Jimmy Jacob, The Rock, CM Punk, Dean Ambrose, & Mick Foley, in terms of consistently cutting awesome promos, I think James Mitchell might well be the top. Those guys I just named have all missed at times, but I don't think I have ever heard a James Mitchell promo that was anything less than great.
Some of the one's he did in WCW were pretty stupid; tho I may be partial bc they were about Glacier and I think Glacier was one of the lamest gimmicks ever.

I'll go with Bobby Heenan; even if he got tongue tied or contradicted himself, he'd play it off like he meant to do it, lol.

Roddy Piper and the Briscoes are all excellently incoherent; it's truly captivating. They are a few of my favs....

NewAgeSavior

Post by NewAgeSavior » Jul 9th, '13, 00:34

Ones that haven't been mentioned....Stone Cold, Chris Jericho (my particular favorites being WCW), Rick Rude, Austin Aries (the birth of A Double in ROH), Curt Henning (sports montages.....How could anybody not like those?), Arn Anderson, Road Warrior Hawk, Rhino in ECW (just frightening !), Kurt Angle, Dick Murdoch, Michael Hayes.......as for managers I always thought Gary Hart was under-appreciated.

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » Jul 9th, '13, 00:46

David Shultz goes right into my category of favs alongside the Briscoes (Jay & Mark) and Piper

NewAgeSavior

Post by NewAgeSavior » Jul 9th, '13, 00:53

Has anybody ever seen Rhino's ECW promos? He's face up in the camera, and he would curse so much it would just be a hurricane of bleeps! I know it doesn't take much thought to that, but damned if they didn't get the right guy to cut promos that way !....ever since those he's been just......IDK.....tame.

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » Jul 9th, '13, 01:08

NewAgeSavior wrote:Has anybody ever seen Rhino's ECW promos? He's face up in the camera, and he would curse so much it would just be a hurricane of bleeps! I know it doesn't take much thought to that, but damned if they didn't get the right guy to cut promos that way !....ever since those he's been just......IDK.....tame.
I didn't remember him speaking much bc I hated Steve Corino back then (he was the only guy that got me to hate him on purpose; guys like Test, Luger, and Jarrett just made me wanna change the channel) and I'd usually only remember Corino antagonizing everybody. He was def a wrecking machine; hope he ends up in the ROH title tourney....

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jul 9th, '13, 01:18

my BOTB will go to either Heyman, Jake The Snake, or a younger Ric Flair, their control on the tone, the pauses, everything is just perfect with these guys.

Honorable mentions: Harley Race, Punk, Ambrose, Randy Savage, Dibiase Sr, shane douglas, and christopher daniels.

Stone Cold, IMO, was good, but i'm not sure if he was good in promos or good in working the crowd and thus making his promos memorable.

NewAgeSavior

Post by NewAgeSavior » Jul 9th, '13, 03:45

The Sean O' Haire promos- "I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know"- were some of my favorites. Great promos and build-up. And then they s#!t the bed when he re-debuted.

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Jul 10th, '13, 13:43

Piper, Roberts, and Foley without question.

Dean Ambrose will join this club as well one day. The dude is on another level.

I've always felt that Jerry Lawler doesn't get enough credit for his promo work as a competitor. Face or heel, comedy or serious, I can't think of a time when The King wasn't "on". I'm talking Jerry Lawler as a WRESTLER here, not as a commentator...

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jul 10th, '13, 14:12

Bob-O wrote:
I've always felt that Jerry Lawler doesn't get enough credit for his promo work as a competitor. Face or heel, comedy or serious, I can't think of a time when The King wasn't "on". I'm talking Jerry Lawler as a WRESTLER here, not as a commentator...
this is true, his Memphis and anti-ecw work used to be awesome.

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » Jul 10th, '13, 14:34

cero2k wrote:
Bob-O wrote:
this is true, his Memphis and anti-ecw work used to be awesome.
this is true; he really got under my skin with the Anti-ecw stuff (mainly bc imo Memphis wrestling was the same as ECW but without as many weapons, without as many cool moves, and without the edginess.

DevilWithin

Post by DevilWithin » Jul 12th, '13, 12:41

Edge, HBK, Paul Bearer, to name a few. And then of course , there's Raven.
Don't sleep on me...cuz then you're fucked and left behind.