NWK gives a "live" review of Royal Rumble.

All WWE/F Related Reviews and Discussions
NWK

NWK gives a "live" review of Royal Rumble.

Post by NWK » Jan 30th, '12, 10:01

Keep in mind, the only reason why I put "live" in quotes is because, even though I was in the crowd for The Royal Rumble, I went home, wrote this review down, and am posting it now.

The dark match was Heath Slater vs. Yoshi Tatsu. I missed the finer points of that match because of seating confusion. I'd like to stop and rant for a second here. Everytime I have gone to the Scottrade Center or the Family Arena and gotten handicapped accessible seating. I've had to move because the ushers are insistent that you follow the seating instructions on your ticket, even though a "first come first serve" basis would be a hell of a lot easier, much less bodies moving around at once. ANYWAY....Tatsu got the win here with a crossbody and got a decent pop for his efforts.

The cage match happened next. Daniel Bryan got a MASSIVE heel reaction, Henry got nothing at all, and Show got a big pop. The most alarming part of all was, when they showed the replay of Show injuring AJ from Smackdown, the crowd popped for AJ getting run over (which made me think the crowd was comprised of sociopaths.

Only after the bell rang for the cage match did Bryan get any positive reaction. My section actually started chanting "Sexual Chocolate" which was awesome. The crowd was reasonably into it, especially for that last sequence.

The Rock and Cena video packages were met with silence, probably just people were watching, fantastic packages though.

Of all the people in the divas match, Kelly Kelly was the only person who got a pop, and the diving spot didn't get much reaction either, though I popped for it.

Drew McIntyre has so little heat it's actually depressing. Brodus Clay got a smaller pop than I expected. People marked for his entrance, started a Funkasaurus chant, and then the crowd just kinda died. Good match though, far too short
The Zach/Eve/Ace segment got a little heat, mostly for Johnny,

The crowd for the Cena/Kane match was back and forth, and the people were just as into Kane as they were into Cena. Kane got a big pop for taking out Cena. Funny note, when Cena was trying to beat up Kane after Kane had demolished Ryder, some guy in my friend's section shouted, "HIT 'EM WITH A HORNSWAGGLE!" got a text after the fact about this, but about died laughing when I read it.

The Punk vs. Ziggler match, got the crowd amped up. John Laurenitis has so much heat here it's hilarious. All the guy had to do was SAY HIS NAME and the whole building booed. That friends, is a sign that you're over. While Punk didn't get the biggest pop of the night, it was definetly the most unanimous, the whole building popped The false finishes towards the end had the people yelling, screaming, booing it was fantastic.

The Rumble saw some of the biggest pops of the night. Disappointingly, the pop for Road Dogg was kinda of little. I think the biggest pop of the night HAD to go Jim Duggan! I dunno if this was something the audio /visual really picked up on. But as Duggan was leaving the ring, we all did the thumbs up and "HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" I'm pretty sure it was unanimous
The crowd was really into the comedy stuff and popped big when Jericho got eliminated.
And that is my review, written at 1:30 AM
The Andy Rooney of WR, NWK

Rabid619

Re: NWK gives a "live" review of Royal Rumble.

Post by Rabid619 » Jan 30th, '12, 10:29

How big was Ortons pop? I could have sworn it was the loudest..

NWK

Post by NWK » Jan 30th, '12, 13:26

I didn't think it was any louder than say.....Sheamus' or Duggan's, but I'm pretty sure WWE amped up the volume on the crowd mic.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 30th, '12, 13:46

The four pops that sounded the biggest (to me, anyway) were Foley, Kong, Orton, & Sheamus.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

yourcrapsweak

Post by yourcrapsweak » Jan 30th, '12, 18:48

To me it sounded like the crowd died once they realized that Sheamus won.
"I was trending worldwide on Twitter once. And then I looked in my wallet, and there was no money in there."
-Kevin Steen

NWK

Post by NWK » Jan 30th, '12, 23:03

yourcrapsweak wrote:To me it sounded like the crowd died once they realized that Sheamus won.
I wouldn't say the crowd "died" people were legit marking out, but anything in comparison to the pop Orton got is going to sound mute.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Jan 31st, '12, 11:40

YCW just quit trollin lol
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

yourcrapsweak

Post by yourcrapsweak » Jan 31st, '12, 17:42

KILLdozer wrote:YCW just quit trollin lol
No I'm serious, it sounded to me like the crowd slowly died after they realized that Sheamus was the one going to 'Mania. I listened carefully and they weren't totally dead, but I would expect a bigger reaction than he got.
"I was trending worldwide on Twitter once. And then I looked in my wallet, and there was no money in there."
-Kevin Steen

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » Jan 31st, '12, 17:52

yourcrapsweak wrote:
KILLdozer wrote:YCW just quit trollin lol
No I'm serious, it sounded to me like the crowd slowly died after they realized that Sheamus was the one going to 'Mania. I listened carefully and they weren't totally dead, but I would expect a bigger reaction than he got.
I think the ppl just weren't super surprised; no one wanted to get behind him bc he seemed to be TOO obvious the choice. I thought it was VERY clear that they were building him up to win the Rumble, and it was to that point where the fans would think he COULDN'T win bc it'd be too obvious, but I think that's why WWE decided to go with Sheamus.