Your wrestling rulebook

The sky is the limit
cero2k
Site Admin

Your wrestling rulebook

Post by cero2k » Oct 10th, '11, 16:32

imagine you're debuting you new wrestling promotion, you need to specify you rule book to be carried out. What rules would you have there?

me first:
1.- all wrestlers must win a match within their first 10 matches in order to get a contract
2.- a wrestler with a 10 match loosing streak will automatically be in probation for a period of 1 month, if he/she does not score a win by that time, the wrestling contract can be terminated
3.- a wrestler must have a 3 match winning streak in order to challenge for a title.
4.- only the mid-card title holder and immediate former champions can challenge for the world title. Special circumstances may be considered
5. Re-match clause for a title is only active for one month
6.- champions are obliged to defend their titles at least once per month
7.- all title matches will be contested in 2-out-3 falls unless it is contested under special stipulations or gimmicks.
8.- to maintain respect of a referee's work, all wrestlers must officiate a match at least once every 6 months
9.- stipulation matches must have approved by management
10.- all wrestlers are required to take a bath before a match

Serujuunin

Re: Your wrestling rulebook

Post by Serujuunin » Oct 11th, '11, 19:56

cero2k wrote:10.- all wrestlers are required to take a bath before a match
LOL. I can only imagine you point your finger at Mark Henry. -shudders-

I like most of those, but I'd like to add:
1. If a PPV has a gimmicked name like Hell in a Cell, ALL THE MATCHES ON THE CARD must be contested under that stipulation.
2. Any one title cannot be hot potatoed between two guys over and over. You get three strikes, then you're out, back of the line.

And that's all for the time being. I'll probably add more as I think of them.

Shogun Rua

Post by Shogun Rua » Oct 12th, '11, 11:26

1. The world title is contested under world title rules, which are:
-No count-outs
-If the champion is disqualified, the title changes hands
-Interference results in suspension and possible termination of those involved
-Pre or post match assault results in disqualification for perpetrator
-If a referee goes down unintentionally, another referee will go to the ring to officiate (if somebody intentionally knocks down a referee, the second referee will go to the ring to call a disqualification on the perpetrator)

2. There is a ranking system, where wrestlers are ranked from 2-10 (The world champion is always ranked 1). Wrestlers in rank 2-5 can challenge each other, to move up the ranking system. Wrestlers ranked 6-10 can only challenge each other to move up the ranking system. Wrestlers at 10 who lose are taken off the ranking system, and replaced with somebody who has won many matches recently, or is pushed off by somebody who has earned a spot in the ranking. A wrestler in 2-5 can not turn down the challenge of a wrestler ranked lower (for example, a 2 can not turn down the challenge of a 4, unless 2 has already been challenged by 3, or has challenged the world champion, which only 2 can do). Wrestlers ranked 6-10 have the same rules, except 6 can challenge 5 for their rank. There are seperate rankings for tag teams.

3. The world champion is only obligated to compete in a title match once a month, but the more they compete in matches the more they get paid. In a case where the world champion is injured, they have up to six months of injury leave while they can still keep their title, and a contest for an interim champion will be held (featuring wrestlers ranked 2-5). Upon the return of the champion, they must defend their title against the interim champion in a unification bout. The world champion can only compete in title matches (unless they are also competing as a member of a tag team).

4. Once a year, a Contention match will be held featuring two unranked wrestlers who show talent and/or have won their last three matches. The match is contested under world title rules, and the winner is catapulted to the number 2 ranking, and is immediate number one contender for the world title. Nobody can challenge them until they have had their world title match.

5. Assault on management results in 2 month suspension (without pay) and will enter a probationary period, in which said wrestler can not enter a ranking system or a Contention match.

6. Free agent wrestlers who have been scouted are given a month to impress management. If management is impressed, the free agent is hired.

7. Piledrivers, low blows, eye pokes, moves to an exposed turnbuckle and weapons are all outlawed, and will result in disqualification.

8. Wrestlers intentionally trying to injure one another may result in suspension, depending on the circumstances.

9. All wrestlers are expected to be in ring gear and ready to compete at any given moment.

10. Wrestlers must bow to each other at the start of the match.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 16th, '11, 07:54

If you can find it somewhere, my list is the same as the original set of rules posted for the EWA. There is a reason those rules were so detailed (aside from the obvious kayfabe logic behind it) and that is because it is something that I think about often. Basically, it is standard wrestling rules, but closed fists to the face are 100% legal.

As for who can challenge for titles: I definitely see the merit in restricting who can challenge for titles, but I think it is only good if done in a way that makes other matches more meaningful (i.e. ROH's Pick 6, which gave meaning to a lot of random undercard matches, or CHIKARA's 3-points rule, which functions as a running sub-angle for pretty much every tag team match in the company). It also needs to be something visible that the fans can follow during shows, rather than something that is determined off panel (again, think the Pick 6, as opposed to ROH's old "contender's ring" or the TNA ranking system from last year).

One thing I definitely wouldn't do, though, is have a rule about requiring wins (or non-losses) to stay in the company. IMO, that sort of thing can be handled by the company on a case-by-case basis, and the announcers can get that over for us (the way that the announcers in early ROH used to put over that "the office is saying that this guy needs some wins to stay in the company because ROH is only for the top competitors around." A concrete rule for that just takes away possibility of a more creative angle.
I would definitely have a mandatory rematch for champions.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3