BRM Reviews the 6/23/2011 Impact (crap-tastic)

All Impact Wrestling (FKA TNA/GFW 2017) Reviews and Discussions
Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 6/23/2011 Impact (crap-tastic)

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 24th, '11, 03:11

OH… So NOW they decide to enforce the rules of a stip! I do love the way that they used the AAA invasion, though. That was pretty ingenious.

Bischoff asks “did you think for a second that I don’t watch my own show?”- Well, now that you mention it… I was trying to give you the benefit of the doubt, Eric, because if you actually DO watch Impact, it means that all of the continuity errors, story-line stupidity, and just plain bad promoting is due to stupidity and incompetence, rather than to the negligence of just not watching it.

OPENING SEGMENT- HORRIBLE!

One thing that I absolutely HATED here was Sting’s delivery. This was the time for the fiery righteous babyface who vowed to us that he would eliminate the cancer of Jeff Jarrett from TNA! Instead, Sting went for comedy. I understand that they are trying to do an angle where Sting is insane, but they are doing it all wrong. Sting strikes me much more as the type of person who gets angry and just SNAPS for a while (like the Hulk) rather than the type of person who has already permanently snapped (the Joker). This segment needed the fiery babyface Sting to come out and cut this promo, then Bischoff to do something to push him over the edge, and then and only then for the insane Sting to come out.

I don’t generally notice these things, but the cheering in this segment was definitely all canned. We heard the audience cheering… but we SAW them sitting on their hands. The people in the front row (which seems to be where the real fans sit) got into it by the end, when Sting actually went to hit Bischoff, but the beginning seemed to be all canned.

Finally, Sting should not have been able to do all of that to Bischoff. Bischoff is the leader of a heel faction! Where is Gunner? Where is Murphy? Where is Jarrett (who we saw backstage earlier)? Where is Hogan? Where is Bubba? Where is Abyss? Where is any heel who might be trying to curry the favor of the guys in charge?

BOUND FOR GLORAY SERIES REVIEW- PERFECT!

BOUND FOR GLORY SERIES MATCH: Scott Steiner vs. Bully Ray- 5/10. I was enjoying myself until the weak-looking finish.

MISS TESSMACHER & VELVET SKY vs. ODB & JACKIE MOORE- 4/10. I was going to give this an “N/A- good segment” until the finish. A C*ntbust? Really? And why the hell did Hebner wrestle ODB to the ground? If the wrestler isn’t listening, you should call for a DQ… and the ref should NEVER be able to pull down a wrestler!

TARA PROMO- ONCE AGAIN they are hyping up Impact instead of a PPV! WTF? Otherwise, this segment was good.

BEER MONEY PROMO- Good, aside from the part where Roode apparently isn’t cleared to wrestle, but is still being allowed to. Wasn’t this the problem at Slammiversary?

STEINER & IMMORTAL SEGMENT- good stuff.

BOUND FOR GLORY SERIES MATCH: Beer Money vs. Crimson & Matt Morgan- 5/10. Why the hell are we having a tag team match to help determine the #1 contender to a singles title?

ABYSS PROMO- good

AJ-JOE-DANIELS SEGMENT- seemed good.

STUFF WITH KAZ BACKSTAGE- good

ZEMA ION vs. DAKOTA DARSOW vs. FREDERICO PALACIOS- 5.5/10. Very good for such a short match. TNA did a good job at building these guys up throughout the night, too. Ion was particularly impressive.

RVD PROMO- so the only thing you need to do to be a part of the X-Division is say “I’m in the X-Division now”? Really?
JERRY LYNN! Nice to see TNA going out of their way to give us the match that they couldn’t deliver on last year.

STREET FIGHT: Mickie James vs. Winter- 4.75/10

STING vs. ABYSS- 3.5/10. Utter crap. Once Abyss went to go read his book in the middle of the match, which told him to go get the weapon WHICH HE HAD ALREADY BROUGHT AND PREPARED, this just jumped off of a cliff for me.

Overall, this episode sucked. What does it say when the Match of the Night was less than five minutes long and involved ZERO contracted talent?

Stupid Announcer Quotes:
1. Tenay “The beauty of the Bound For Glory Series is that politics is taken right out of the equation. W’s and L’s… that’s all that matters”- well… aside from who got picked for it. Because clearly the number of wins and losses weren’t factors in choosing who went in, otherwise guys like Gunner and Devon wouldn’t have gotten in

2. Tenay (during the Mickie vs. Winter match) “He [Hebner] never saw the interference of Angelina Love!” So what? It’s a f*cking STREET FIGHT!

3. Both Taz and Tenay are 100% okay with Sting jumping Abyss. Just like good babyface announcers.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Re: BRM Reviews the 6/23/2011 Impact (crap-tastic)

Post by cero2k » Jun 24th, '11, 07:52

Big Red Machine wrote:
TARA PROMO- ONCE AGAIN they are hyping up Impact instead of a PPV! WTF? Otherwise, this segment was good.
she can't really hype a PPV she's not gonna be part of.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 24th, '11, 08:01

cero2k wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:
she can't really hype a PPV she's not gonna be part of.
Why not? If RVD can decide that he is X Division, why not Tara?

Realistically, of course, this is the problem with doing an "all" X-Division PPV.

As a side note, they need women on this show. They should have the Knockouts' Tag Team Title defended, as Sarita can definitely pass as "female X-Division," and Rosita probably could too. What they should do it have them defend against a bring-in team of MelisChif, or maybe a team involving Mia Yim.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » Jun 24th, '11, 18:08

BEER MONEY PROMO- Good, aside from the part where Roode apparently isn’t cleared to wrestle, but is still being allowed to. Wasn’t this the problem at Slammiversary?

BOUND FOR GLORY SERIES MATCH: Beer Money vs. Crimson & Matt Morgan- 5/10. Why the hell are we having a tag team match to help determine the #1 contender to a singles title?
Bischof wouldn't let Roode wrestle at Slammiversary bc he wanted Beer Money to lose the belts; now he's letting Roode wrestle in the BFG series bc he wants Roode/Storm not to gain any points to become the number one contender.

They mentioned that tag matches would be a part of the series; I agree that it's not the fairest way to decide the number one contender, but it builds more drama between the participants. We'll have guys fighting with their own partners to get the pinfall for the points....
RVD PROMO- so the only thing you need to do to be a part of the X-Division is say “I’m in the X-Division now”? Really?
JERRY LYNN! Nice to see TNA going out of their way to give us the match that they couldn’t deliver on last year.
Really? You're gonna question RVD being featured in the X Division? What he said is correct: Lynn & RVD invented the X Division style, he fits in perfectly (def as much as Shannon Moore, Daivari, Sonny Siaki, and a bunch of other 'X Division' Guys who've been there in the past. Plus, it adds a big name to the ppv. Otherwise, the big draw is Daniels v. AJ for the millionth time (I'm hoping they had Kaz v. Joe, too. Gen Me v. the Brits wouldn't be bad either). I'm looking forward to seeing RVD at Destination X.
Big Red Machine wrote: Why not? If RVD can decide that he is X Division, why not Tara?

Realistically, of course, this is the problem with doing an "all" X-Division PPV.
the point is, WHY WOULD TARA HYPE THE PPV? Her match is a part of the July 14th show; a show they are obviously building to be a big one. If she were to make herself a part of the Destination X PPV, we'd all be pissed that the all Xdiv ppv ISN'T all X div (which, right now, it is; RVD included)

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jun 24th, '11, 19:58

badnewzxl wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote: Why not? If RVD can decide that he is X Division, why not Tara?

the point is, WHY WOULD TARA HYPE THE PPV? Her match is a part of the July 14th show; a show they are obviously building to be a big one. If she were to make herself a part of the Destination X PPV, we'd all be pissed that the all Xdiv ppv ISN'T all X div (which, right now, it is; RVD included)
definitely, this show is gonna get hyped a lot, it's "the whole fn show" all over again. free PPV coming up.

Robert Randall

Post by Robert Randall » Jun 24th, '11, 20:09

Sting made me think of the Joker in the Dark Knight, and Jim Carey in an evil form
when I say I'm the ish, I'm not being cocky or conceited, I'm merely telling you what others told me "Rob, you're the ish"

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » Jun 25th, '11, 00:00

Robert Randall wrote:Sting made me think of the Joker in the Dark Knight, and Jim Carey in an evil form
me too...

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 25th, '11, 00:12

badnewzxl wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:BEER MONEY PROMO- Good, aside from the part where Roode apparently isn’t cleared to wrestle, but is still being allowed to. Wasn’t this the problem at Slammiversary?

Bischof wouldn't let Roode wrestle at Slammiversary bc he wanted Beer Money to lose the belts; now he's letting Roode wrestle in the BFG series bc he wants Roode/Storm not to gain any points to become the number one contender.

They mentioned that tag matches would be a part of the series; I agree that it's not the fairest way to decide the number one contender, but it builds more drama between the participants. We'll have guys fighting with their own partners to get the pinfall for the points....
Fair Points
badnewzxl wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote: RVD PROMO- so the only thing you need to do to be a part of the X-Division is say “I’m in the X-Division now”? Really?
Really? You're gonna question RVD being featured in the X Division? What he said is correct: Lynn & RVD invented the X Division style, he fits in perfectly (def as much as Shannon Moore, Daivari, Sonny Siaki, and a bunch of other 'X Division' Guys who've been there in the past. Plus, it adds a big name to the ppv. Otherwise, the big draw is Daniels v. AJ for the millionth time (I'm hoping they had Kaz v. Joe, too. Gen Me v. the Brits wouldn't be bad either). I'm looking forward to seeing RVD at Destination X.

the point is, WHY WOULD TARA HYPE THE PPV? Her match is a part of the July 14th show; a show they are obviously building to be a big one. If she were to make herself a part of the Destination X PPV, we'd all be pissed that the all Xdiv ppv ISN'T all X div (which, right now, it is; RVD included)[/quote]

What I am criticizing is the way the X-Division as a concept. At times it has been a set group of people, at other times it has been a "style." They need to be clear what they are talking about here. If this is an "all X-division PPV" that restricts who it is open to. It is "X-Division style" guys (which allows in guys who have never been officially part of the X-Division- like RVD, but would disallow guys who don't wrestle the style, even if they are/have been part of the division- like Abyss or Joe or Angle), or the other way around. It seems to be the latter (only guys who are officially part of the division, since, as everyone has pointed out, Abyss, who will be on the show, doesn't wrestle that style, and Joe will likely be there, and also doesn't wrestle the style, so it seems like the latter: that it will only be open to the people on the "X-Division Roster," which is a concrete thing...

But from the promos of both RVD and AJ tonight it just seems that you can just say "I am X-Division" and be part of it (which everyone should be doing, since they all want the PPV payday). So why can't Tara? She can't hype the PPV because her match is on Impact?... well her match is only on Impact because she can't be on the "all X-division" PPV. Why can't she be on the "all X-Division PPV?" Because "she isn't X-Division"... well... by the definition TNA seems to be using, neither is RVD.

If RVD can be on the show, then, TNA has no excuse for not putting the Tara vs. Madison grudge match on PPV (aside fomr the fact that they are stupid and don't put blow-offs on PPV).

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 25th, '11, 00:13

cero2k wrote:
badnewzxl wrote:

definitely, this show is gonna get hyped a lot, it's "the whole fn show" all over again. free PPV coming up.
No. It's going to be March 3rd all over again. Just a super-hyped Impact in the hope of drawing ratings. It won't be segment free like the Whole FN Show was.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jun 25th, '11, 09:10

Big Red Machine wrote:
No. It's going to be March 3rd all over again. Just a super-hyped Impact in the hope of drawing ratings. It won't be segment free like the Whole FN Show was.
aren't they promoting an IW with "few commercial interruptions" sometime july?

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 25th, '11, 14:29

cero2k wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:
Not that they have announced on TV yet.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » Jun 25th, '11, 17:11

Big Red Machine wrote:
cero2k wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:
Not that they have announced on TV yet.
but yes; it's true. It's gonna be sponsored by 5 Hour Energy. My guess is that they're trying to impress/pacify their sponsors so they're promoting the hell out of the show. That doesn't seem like a bad idea....

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 25th, '11, 20:09

badnewzxl wrote: but yes; it's true. It's gonna be sponsored by 5 Hour Energy. My guess is that they're trying to impress/pacify their sponsors so they're promoting the hell out of the show. That doesn't seem like a bad idea....
A better idea would be actually making money off of a PPV.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Verdun

Post by Verdun » Jun 25th, '11, 22:55

Big Red Machine wrote:
badnewzxl wrote: but yes; it's true. It's gonna be sponsored by 5 Hour Energy. My guess is that they're trying to impress/pacify their sponsors so they're promoting the hell out of the show. That doesn't seem like a bad idea....
TNA making money. That is soooo 2009.
Lady Luck is smiling...

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 26th, '11, 00:03

Verdun wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:
TNA making money. That is soooo 2009.
2009? Try 2004

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Verdun

Post by Verdun » Jun 26th, '11, 01:02

I equated the coming of Hogan and the end of the six-sided ring as the beginning of TNA veering off that cliff.
Lady Luck is smiling...

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 26th, '11, 11:32

Verdun wrote:I equated the coming of Hogan and the end of the six-sided ring as the beginning of TNA veering off that cliff.
And my point is that they really weren't doing that beforehand, either. This is just a new low, where they seem to be actively trying to not make money, rather than just not making money because they suck.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation