BOTB: Promotion (Today)

All Time Greatest, Worst, Sickest, Weirdest, Funniest...you get the idea.
yourcrapsweak

BOTB: Promotion (Today)

Post by yourcrapsweak » Mar 18th, '11, 16:16

What is the best promotion(s) of today?
"I was trending worldwide on Twitter once. And then I looked in my wallet, and there was no money in there."
-Kevin Steen

cero2k
Site Admin

Re: BOTB: Promotion (Today)

Post by cero2k » Mar 18th, '11, 16:33

Of this year, NJPW has my vote even if they canceled a lot of shows cuz of he quake. Both with production and wrestling.

If not only this year, wwe has production value while Roh has wrestling value

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 19th, '11, 02:26

ROH without a doubt. Just an amazing combination of everything. In the past 18 months they have lost Dragon, Nigel McGuinness, Tyler Black, Austin Aries, Jimmy Rave, Jerry Lynn, Kevin Steen, Erick Stevens, Eddie Kingston, and the Necro Butcher from their roster, and have lost Kenny Omega to his ultra-frequent and long trips to Japan, and have lost the Christian Able and Josh Raymond of the House of Truth to injuries... yet they are still putting on awesome shows. Yes, Homicide came back, but he hasn't been the same. They even changed bookers and didn't miss a beat. They have a successful "youth" movement going, elevating ANX to a main event level tag team, and El Generico and Eddie Edwards to singles main eventers (this weekend will be make or break as to whether Eddie stays their, though), and have pushed several new stars such as Mike Bennett, TJ Perkins, and, most prominently, Adam Cole & Kyle O'Reilly. Christopher Daniels has come home and is putting on awesome matches, and ROH has signed by far the most prominent former mainstream wrestlers that everyone has wanted to see what they could do without WWE restrictions in indy history in Haas & Benjamin.

Additionally, aside from PWG and SHIMMER, it is the most affordable, due to their constant sales (if ROH runs two shows a month, which are $20 each at full price, which you never pay because of sales, the month's two ROH shows cost less than one WWE or TNA PPV).

CHIKARA has great angles, comedy, and storytelling, but doesn't deliver in the ring as often as they need to. PWG can be very eh at times. The problems with WWE and TNA are well known. SHIMMER doesn't put on enough shows a year to be able to be considered as one of the best promotions, and they don't offer the variety that I think is required to be an all-around best promotion. DGUSA is a bit too spotty at times, and Evolve has been thoroughly (if accidentally) cemented as second rate because it just comes off as "that thing Gabe does when he isn't doing DGUSA." I don't follow Puro or Lucha, but there is no way they are putting on anything, in terms of a combination of ringwork and angles that matches ROH.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Lynas
Future Endeavored

Post by Lynas » Mar 19th, '11, 03:40

Big Red Machine wrote:ROH without a doubt. Just an amazing combination of everything. In the past 18 months they have lost Dragon, Nigel McGuinness, Tyler Black, Austin Aries, Jimmy Rave, Jerry Lynn, Kevin Steen, Erick Stevens, Eddie Kingston, and the Necro Butcher from their roster, and have lost Kenny Omega to his ultra-frequent and long trips to Japan, and have lost the Christian Able and Josh Raymond of the House of Truth to injuries... yet they are still putting on awesome shows. Yes, Homicide came back, but he hasn't been the same. They even changed bookers and didn't miss a beat. They have a successful "youth" movement going, elevating ANX to a main event level tag team, and El Generico and Eddie Edwards to singles main eventers (this weekend will be make or break as to whether Eddie stays their, though), and have pushed several new stars such as Mike Bennett, TJ Perkins, and, most prominently, Adam Cole & Kyle O'Reilly. Christopher Daniels has come home and is putting on awesome matches, and ROH has signed by far the most prominent former mainstream wrestlers that everyone has wanted to see what they could do without WWE restrictions in indy history in Haas & Benjamin.

Additionally, aside from PWG and SHIMMER, it is the most affordable, due to their constant sales (if ROH runs two shows a month, which are $20 each at full price, which you never pay because of sales, the month's two ROH shows cost less than one WWE or TNA PPV).

CHIKARA has great angles, comedy, and storytelling, but doesn't deliver in the ring as often as they need to. PWG can be very eh at times. The problems with WWE and TNA are well known. SHIMMER doesn't put on enough shows a year to be able to be considered as one of the best promotions, and they don't offer the variety that I think is required to be an all-around best promotion. DGUSA is a bit too spotty at times, and Evolve has been thoroughly (if accidentally) cemented as second rate because it just comes off as "that thing Gabe does when he isn't doing DGUSA." I don't follow Puro or Lucha, but there is no way they are putting on anything, in terms of a combination of ringwork and angles that matches ROH.

I'm not even exaggerating when I say ALL OF THIS. Bang on the money. Yeah WWE has stepped up their game & they're better than they've been in a while... but RoH are soo much better these days... if they had a reliable permanent TV slot in the US & UK they'd surpass TNA in a matter of month. I'd put money on that.

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » Mar 19th, '11, 09:02

Lynas wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:ROH without a doubt. Just an amazing combination of everything. In the past 18 months they have lost Dragon, Nigel McGuinness, Tyler Black, Austin Aries, Jimmy Rave, Jerry Lynn, Kevin Steen, Erick Stevens, Eddie Kingston, and the Necro Butcher from their roster, and have lost Kenny Omega to his ultra-frequent and long trips to Japan, and have lost the Christian Able and Josh Raymond of the House of Truth to injuries... yet they are still putting on awesome shows. Yes, Homicide came back, but he hasn't been the same. They even changed bookers and didn't miss a beat. They have a successful "youth" movement going, elevating ANX to a main event level tag team, and El Generico and Eddie Edwards to singles main eventers (this weekend will be make or break as to whether Eddie stays their, though), and have pushed several new stars such as Mike Bennett, TJ Perkins, and, most prominently, Adam Cole & Kyle O'Reilly. Christopher Daniels has come home and is putting on awesome matches, and ROH has signed by far the most prominent former mainstream wrestlers that everyone has wanted to see what they could do without WWE restrictions in indy history in Haas & Benjamin.

I'm not even exaggerating when I say ALL OF THIS. Bang on the money. Yeah WWE has stepped up their game & they're better than they've been in a while... but RoH are soo much better these days... if they had a reliable permanent TV slot in the US & UK they'd surpass TNA in a matter of month. I'd put money on that.
This.

SONICdopeFRESH

Post by SONICdopeFRESH » Mar 20th, '11, 17:41

I'd have to say the WWE. In a time when wrestling fans are harder to find, and when the economy is effed up, they STILL find ways to come through in the clutch. This year, they're doing so much better than they did in say 2009 and 2010. No, I'm not just saying this because of The Rock's return, but we've seen more wrestling, and guys who are getting top level feuds who actually can work a match (ex: Del Rio).
Booker T: "HIP BONE CONNECTED TO THE LEG BONE!!!" ...... Cole: "WHAAAAT?"

kirbs2002

Post by kirbs2002 » Mar 11th, '14, 17:03

How about I bump this for a modern take?
Reality TV is faker than "fake" wrestling!

"The views that I'm about to express are not necessarily those of anyone else but myself, but they ought to be and, in fact, they probably are"

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 11th, '14, 17:59

kirbs2002 wrote:How about I bump this for a modern take?
LOL. As I look back on this, the timing was really funny, as this was a few months before ROH started going downhill in the Cornette Era, right before the Summer of Punk II heated WWE up, and just a few months before PWG really took off.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3