Gordon Solie admits that he's never a fan of WCW or the WWE

Tell it to the world!!
womenwrestlerfan
Future Endeavored

Gordon Solie admits that he's never a fan of WCW or the WWE

Post by womenwrestlerfan » Dec 29th, '10, 01:34

Hey guys,

10 years ago, American and the World of Professional Wrestling said Goodbye to The Dean of Wrestling Commetary Gordon Solie who died in the summer of 2000

During an interview before his death, Solie stated that during the 1990's, he was never a fan of WCW or the WWE

Here's what he said from an interview in 1997:

"You can't argue with their success. What they do, they do very well, It's just not what I call wrestling."

After his retirement from the sport in 1995, he sometimes lamented the sport's direction.

Here's what he said in a 1999 interview:

"It's getting too suggestive ... the themes are in poor taste and usually outright disgraceful, they don't know a wristwatch from a wristlock. Whatever happened to wrestling?''

Mr. Solie said he always took a low-key approach to calling matches and let the action dictate his tone, whereas today's announcers seem to scream the entire match.

"I was like a golf announcer, building up to the excitement," Mr. Solie said. " 'He moves from the corner and goes for single leg takedown. He applies pressure. ... AND HE TURNS HIM OVER INTO A BOSTON CRAB ... ' "

Alex Marvez, who writes a syndicated pro wrestling column for Scripps Howard News Service stated in an interview:

"Gordon changed the face of wrestling announcing. He called it like a legitimate sporting contest, then it became more of a comic-type industry that Gordon didn't care to be a part of."

Well guys, Gordon Solie has paved the wave for the likes of Jim Ross, Tony Schiavone, Mike Tenay, Joey Styles, Lord Alfred Hayes and Mean Gene Okerlund.

He also paved the waves for Wrestlers Turned Announcers such as Gorilla Monsoon, Larry Zbyszko and Bobby "The Brain" Heenan.

and so, I want to know:

What are your thoughts on Gordon Solie saying that he's not a fan of WCW and the WWE?

Do you think that it had to do w/not being a fan of the nWo and DX?

and also, what about the Commentary?

That's the Question!

Please share your thoughts on all of this.