BRM Reviews WCW Superbrawl: Return from the Rising Sun

WCW, ECW, UPW, etc
Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews WCW Superbrawl: Return from the Rising Sun

Post by Big Red Machine » May 18th, '21, 23:31

WCW Superbrawl: Return from the Rising Sun (5/19/1991)- St. Petersburg, FL

Welcome back to BRM’s Monthly “This Day in Wrestling History” Review Series. Today we’ll be looking at a show I’ve been meaning to watch for quite a while, and it’s from a relatively unexplored period for me: 90-93 WCW. As a result, I’m not totally sure what we’re in for, and it will be interesting to see how well it holds up the legend. And yes, this show is legendary for several reasons; some good, some bad. And if you take the good and take the bad and add them, then you’ll have WCW Superbrawl: Return from the Rising Sun.

MATCH FOR THE VACANT WCW US TAG TEAM TITLES: The Young Pistols (Steve Armstrong & Tracy Smothers) vs. the Fabulous Freebirds (Michael P.S. Hayes & Jimmy Garvin) (w/Big Daddy Dink, Diamond Dallas Page, & a female friend)- 5/10
The Young Pistols are billed from Wyoming. Less than a year ago, these same two guys were wrestling in this company as the “Southern Boys.” Steve Armstrong was even acknowledged as Brad’s brother when Brad came out early on to even things up after the heels on the outside tried to interfere (which resulted in Big Daddy Dink and DDP getting ejected from ringside).
This was a good, basic young, athletic babyfaces vs. mean heels match. Everyone looked good and the psychology was solid, although I do question the logic behind having the mystery man who runs in (wearing a lame bird costume by the way) to help the heels hitting the babyfaces with a bunch of really cool moves instead of just basic stiff. Speaking of things gone a little awry, the camera unfortunately missed some of the babyfaces’ big spots, and some idiot decided to cut to a bunch of fans cheering for the heels.
I usually hate it when announcers (and especially babyfaces) portray themselves as dumb, so I was quite annoyed when Dusty Rhodes told Jim Ross that he didn’t know what “propensity” meant, but my day was immediately brightened by the sheer pride in J.R.’s voice he when replied “I learned that word from Gordon!” Tremendous!

DAN SPIVEY vs. RICKY MORTON- 3.5/10
Tremendous for the short amount of time it got. This won’t shock anyone, but Ricky Morton was a great babyface.

EMBARASSING CRAP WITH MISSY HYATT, TONY SCHIAVONE, AND TOM ZENK- embarrassing
There was a vote of the fans to see if Missy Hyatt shout be allowed to go into the dressing room to conduct interviews again. We were shown footage of what happened at the last PPV, when she was all excited to do an interview and went into the locker room, only to be chased out by Stan Hansen, drooling tobacco. It was completely disgusting, and now I feel bad for Missy. It’s good that the fans voted to let her back in.
We cut back to the trio, and Tony is laughing at this horribly mean thing that happened to Missy. Now I feel even worse for her. She’s right. It’s 1991! A woman should be allowed to conduct locker room interview. All you have to do is knock first to make sure that the wrestlers are all decent. Then Missy killed any sympathy I had for her but flat-out admitting that she wanted to perv on the wrestlers in the shower. She asked Zenk if he would shower later, and he was happy to have her perving on him. No one came out of this looking good, and it certainly doesn’t make me want to see Missy interview anyone in the men’s locker room.

TOMMY RICH vs. NIKITA KOLOFF- 4.25/10
This was fine for the time it got. Nikita won clean.

TONY SCHIAVONE INTERVIEWS JOHNNY B. BADD & THEODORE R. LONG- meh
Teddy was good, Badd was… still finding himself in the gimmick. Also, he had so much bronzer on that it was extremely off-putting.

DUSTIN RHODES vs. TERRANCE YORK (w/Alexandra York & Mr. Hughes)- 4.5/10
There are very few gimmicks that feel more dated than the York Foundation, and particularly the “computerized man of the nineties” tag-line for Terry Taylor. Also not aging well is Ross and Dusty’s inability to say “Ms.” They keep saying “Miss.” Dustin won clean after botched interference from Mr. Hughes, remaining undefeated.

BLACK BART vs. BIG JOSH- DUD!
Big Josh came to the ring with two pet BEARS. The match was 3:46 of the most boring hoss fight you’ve ever seen.

THE DANGERZONE, WITH SPECIAL GUEST STAN HANSEN- terrible
Heyman claims to be a “real cowboy.” He couldn’t even get his message to Hansen out before Stan started ranting. His tobacco is hanging out of his mouth. It’s disgusting. He challenged Dustin Rhodes to a match and called Dustin a coward for not wrestling him tonight (putting my booker’s non-cowboy hat on, if we’re going to have a heel call Dustin coward for not wrestling him tonight, I probably would have Dustin’s match be booked weeks ahead of time rather than resulting from something that supposedly happened earlier today). Between the bad microphone, Hansen’s grossness, and Hansen being barely intelligible, this was an atrocious viewing experience.

OZ’S ENTRANCE- Yeah, this is getting its own section.
We start with fog and flashing green lights. There is a castle set up on the end of the ramp. Kevin Nash’s voice starts narrating to us that there was a second wizard in Oz. Not the one we know, but the “Great Wizard.” The fans were already booing when Dorothy, the Tin Man, the Cowardly Lion, and Scarecrow showed up. I tried to make a joke about which wrestling personality would be each, but there were too many different directions in which I could take the “just wants to go home” joke, couldn’t come up with anyone better than Mikey Whipwreck for the coward, and there were WAY too many choices for no brain and no heart.
Some short person (almost certainly Kevin Sullivan, based on the height and the mask) leads them up the ramp to a very large figure, standing in front of the doors of the castle while dramatic music plays. The large figure declares “I am Oz, the great and powerful! Who are you? The great and powerful Oz knows why you have come!” So you don’ know who they are, but you know why they’re here? Ooooookay.
Nash continued. “How dare you come to me! I will show you who Oz really is! I will show the world who Oz really is.” There is a shoot monkey on Kevin Sullivan’s shoulder.
An AEW bomb went off, and Dorothy and party scurried off. Also, the monkey apparently knew that this was its cue to jump off of Sullivan’s shoulder. Upbeat music played and Oz and Sullivan headed towards the ring, while Sullivan said “welcome to Oz” over and over again. Oh. The monkey is back. This is ridiculous.
The Oz gimmick, to me, is one of the ultimate “WHAT THE F*CK WERE THEY THINKING?!” gimmicks. THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO UNIVERSE IN WHICH THIS WAS IN ANY WAY A GOOD IDEA. And it’s not like this was a Jim Herd idea, either. This one is supposedly all Dusty. He should have known better!

TIM PARKER vs. OZ (w/Wizard)- squash
Yes, just “Wizard.” Not “the Wizard.” Just “Wizard.” It’s apparently his name, not his job. Which I guess makes sense since Oz is supposed to be the Wizard, but then why would they name the other dude Wizard when it would only cause confusion.
Unfortunately, Nash did not wrestle with the whole get-up on. He took off his mask and robe to reveal that his hair is dyed grey, making him look extremely old. The jobber jumped him when Wizard was still in the ring. I don’t blame the referee for ringing the bell here, but I do blame him for not trying to get Wizard out of the ring once the bell did ring. And he’s still holding the monkey.
The only positive thing I can say about this match is that unlike Dorothy, this match didn’t take very long to go home. Oz squashed the jobber in three moves and pinned him with a foot on the chest. Dusty Rhodes, the f*cking booker, proudly told us that “this is what is to come in World Championship Wrestling.” No wonder attendance is about to go down the sh*tter. Pre-AEW Jim Ross was usually pretty professional, but even he couldn’t keep the sarcasm out of his voice while putting this over.

MISSY HYATT GOES INTO THE LOCKER ROOM TO GET AN INTERVIEW- bad
She interviews Terry Taylor about his match with Dustin Rhodes. He asks her what she is doing in the locker room. Do the wrestlers not pay any attention to anything going on in the company? The company put out a f*cking poll about this!
Anyway, Missy ignores Terry’s answer and instead tries to peek into the shower. If she’s going to act like this, then it’s pretty hard to blame the men for not wanting her in the locker room. Missy flat-out asks Terry if Z-Man is currently in the shower. He says yes, so she goes to interview him, but of course it’s Stan Hansen, so he yells at her and chases her out… but not before grabbing her and spanking her with his cowboy hat. And, of course, he’s still got his tobacco in his mouth. I know tobacco is addictive, but that seems a little over the top to me. This was terrible, and no one came out of this looking good.

TAPED FIST MATCH: Flyin’ Brian vs. Barry Windham- 6/10
Eary on, Brian was pounding Windham in the corner and the referee stepped in to back him up. Moments later, Dusty Rhodes had the audacity to tell me that “there are no rules!” in this match. I would ask if he doesn’t think before he speaks, but seeing as how this was the genius behind Oz, I don’t think I even need to ask.
This was excellent for the time it got. They had lots of blood in a short amount of time, but it never felt gratuitous. Windham got the dirty win (assuming Dusty is an idiot and there actually were rules, which is what the evidence supports). Pillman kicked out at 3.1, but Windham beat him up after the match, too.

DIAMOND DALLAS PAGE’S DIAMOND MINE WITH SPECIAL GUEST THE DIAMOND STUDD- odd
This was the first-ever Diamond Mine. Page first pitched to a Lex Luger & Sting promo to build up their match. The promo was great, but it made no sense that Page would be pitching to it. He then brought out his newest recruit, the Diamond Studd. He posed as the Diamond Dolls removed his outer clothing. Like with the Danger Zone, my main reaction to this was to wonder why they wasted time on a PPV with this.

STRETCHER MATCH: El Gigante vs. Sid Vicious- -2/10
Most of El Gigante’s selling looked absolutely ridiculous. I realize that the dude’s medical issues made it very hard for him, but in that case, he shouldn’t have been in the ring at all. The match ended in about three minutes with a pinfall during a claw, even though we were told by Gary Michal Capetta that the match can only end when one wrestler leaves the ring on a stretcher. Yes, I know Sid was being unprofessional here and wanted out of WCW. That doesn’t change the fact that the match was ridiculous.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- meh
Kevin Sullivan and One-Man Gang attacked El Gigante. Gigante fought back and eventually slammed Gang down on the stretcher, which probably hurt a lot less than if he had slammed him onto the ramp they were standing on. At least that fact made Sullivan clearly holding the stretcher in place make some sense.
Sullivan threw powder in El Gigante’s eyes and the heels hit El Gigante with weapons. El Gigante made a comeback, and the heels retreated. This was a fine way to do their best to transition El Gigante away from Sid in a way that diverted attention from the ridiculous ending of the previous match as well as anything Sid might have tried to do on camera on his way out.

STEEL CAGE MATCH WITH TEDDY LONG LOCKED IN A CAGE SUSPENDED ABOVE THE RING: Ron Simmons vs. Butch Reed- 6.75/10
The match is already in a cage? Why do we need to put Teddy in a cage at all, never mind one that you are then going to raise ABOVE the ring, where Teddy can easily throw something into the ring? All you’re doing is making it easier for him to circumvent the purpose of the cage! Even if you had just locked him into a cage at ringside it would have been fine (if not a little silly), but by elevating him above the walls of the cage, you’re actually making it EASIER for him to interfere, not harder!
Reed sent Simmons into the cage a bunch early on and Simmons gigged. The announcers put over that Reed had a lot more experience in cage matches than Simmons, and thus was using the cage better. That was a good touch.
Reed was either legitimately punching Simmons in the head during this match, or he has an AMAZING working punch (I hope it’s the latter). Apparently there are disqualifications in this cage match, because the referee applied a five-count when Reed choked Simmons, and Reed made sure to let up before the ref got to five.
Simmons made a great comeback. Try not to be too shocked, but being above the ring allowed Teddy Long to throw a foreign object down into the ring. It was a steel chain. Reed got it and tried to hit Simmons with it, but Simmons ducked it, hit a spinebuster, and got the pin. This was very good, but the finish felt very abrupt. Like the wrestlers were just told to go out there and have a cage match until Teddy through the foreign object, and then go home right away.
After the match Jim Ross looked at the camera and said “If you’re wondering about that chain; no disqualifications in this particular cage match-up.” BULLSH*T! There was a five-count during a choke! And the chain didn’t really even need an explanation because no one was ever actually hit with it! Why did you even say that, Ross?!

STING & LUGER VS. STEINERS VIDEO PACKAGE- This was fine, but it was mostly just random clips of the two teams. If you’ve got the capacity to do a video package, I think the time would have been much better spent recapping the events that have led to the Simmons vs. Reed match.

WCW WORLD TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH: The Steiner Brothers(c) vs. Sting & Lex Luger- 8.75/10
This match has been on my list for a long time, and forcing myself to finally watch it is the reason I picked this show for this month. This match ABSOLUTELY holds up! These guys were just so intense and so big that every single thing they did felt huge, and stuff that actually was huge felt even bigger. Sting FLYING into the frame with that f*cking missile dropkick sending Rick halfway across the ring and slamming chest-first into the turnbuckle was the most awesome thing I’ve seen on a wrestling show in quite a while (NOTE: I watched this before seeing the mid-air spot at WrestleMania Backlash). This was so good that I was actually angry at Nikita for ruining the match instead of getting angry at the booker (he tried to hit Luger with his chain but Sting pulled Luger out of the way and got hit). Everyone go watch this match right now!

TONY SCHIAVONE’S INTERVIEW WITH NIKITA KOLOFF IS INTERRUPTED BY STING TACKLING NIKITA- awesome!
Nikita got out the one line he needed to “Sting was in the wrong place at the wrong time” before Sting flew in and they brawled out of the building.

WCW TV TITLE MATCH: Arn Anderson(c) vs. Bobby Eaton- 7/10
Bobby Eaton was a tremendous babyface and an excellent seller. Shocking, I know. His knee got worked over, but he fought through the pain, made his comeback, and won. Brian Pillman and Barry Windham briefly brawled to ringside during the finish. I guess Windham was trying to interfere and Pillman stopped him. We missed the three count because the camera was showing Pillman chasing Windham to the back. This was Eaton’s first major singles title win, but instead of showing us the celebration, they went almost immediately to the back for…

TONY SCHIAVONE INTERVIEWS HIRO MATSUDA ON BEHALF OF TATSUMI FUJINAMI- pointless
Matsuda said that they were going to bring the belt back to Japan. That’s it.

WCW WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE MATCH: Ric Flair(c) vs. Tatsumi Fujinami- 7.75/10
Tiger Hattori is the “official of record,” while Bill Alfonso will be the official backup official.
Lots of great work on body parts here (Fujinami’s leg, Flair’s back). Unsurprisingly, Flair bled. There was one REALLY awkward spot where Flair was going to get thrown off the top rope and he had to reach down and grab Fujinami’s hand and pull it all the way up to this chest to throw him off (Fujinami only had the one hand on the waist), but other than that, this was some excellent “big world title match” stuff that looked like it was going to be an awesome match… but then it never made the jump to that next level. Instead we go Fujinami bumping heads with Hattori, Flair rolling him up, and Fonzie jumping into the ring to count the pin.

This show was quite the mess. The first half of the show didn’t feel like a PPV at all. It was s a bunch of short matches that had pretty much no angles setting them up on TV, and most of them were semi-squashes at best. When we finally got the stuff with build, the show got very good (although the main event was still disappointing), and I absolutely adored Sting & Luger vs. the Steiners, but despite that, I just can’t say that this was an enjoyable show. Too much of it was junk.
We’ll be back to early 90s WCW later this year, but first, we’re going to do some (very) loosely connected shows. Specially, the connection is that they all have the same booker. Prepare yourselves for something that only BRM would do: The Summer of Sapolsky!
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

NWK2000

Re: BRM Reviews WCW Superbrawl: Return from the Rising Sun

Post by NWK2000 » May 26th, '21, 14:25

Big Red Machine wrote: May 18th, '21, 23:31

We start with fog and flashing green lights. There is a castle set up on the end of the ramp. Kevin Nash’s voice starts narrating to us that there was a second wizard in Oz. Not the one we know, but the “Great Wizard.” The fans were already booing when Dorothy, the Tin Man, the Cowardly Lion, and Scarecrow showed up. I tried to make a joke about which wrestling personality would be each, but there were too many different directions in which I could take the “just wants to go home” joke, couldn’t come up with anyone better than Mikey Whipwreck for the coward, and there were WAY too many choices for no brain and no heart.
Some short person (almost certainly Kevin Sullivan, based on the height and the mask) leads them up the ramp to a very large figure, standing in front of the doors of the castle while dramatic music plays. The large figure declares “I am Oz, the great and powerful! Who are you? The great and powerful Oz knows why you have come!” So you don’ know who they are, but you know why they’re here? Ooooookay.
Nash continued. “How dare you come to me! I will show you who Oz really is! I will show the world who Oz really is.” There is a shoot monkey on Kevin Sullivan’s shoulder.
An AEW bomb went off, and Dorothy and party scurried off. Also, the monkey apparently knew that this was its cue to jump off of Sullivan’s shoulder. Upbeat music played and Oz and Sullivan headed towards the ring, while Sullivan said “welcome to Oz” over and over again. Oh. The monkey is back. This is ridiculous.
The Oz gimmick, to me, is one of the ultimate “WHAT THE F*CK WERE THEY THINKING?!” gimmicks. THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO UNIVERSE IN WHICH THIS WAS IN ANY WAY A GOOD IDEA. And it’s not like this was a Jim Herd idea, either. This one is supposedly all Dusty. He should have known better!
This, and your descriptors of both the Monster Truck Match from Halloween Havoc 1995 and Gary Spivey pumping up Mister Wonderful from Fall Brawl 1995 are some of my favorite pieces of yours.

Tooting your horn aside, I can't believe Oz debuted on the same show that had Tatsumi Fujinami. Feels like different universes.
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 27th, '21, 01:52

NWK2000 wrote: May 26th, '21, 14:25
Big Red Machine wrote: May 18th, '21, 23:31

This, and your descriptors of both the Monster Truck Match from Halloween Havoc 1995 and Gary Spivey pumping up Mister Wonderful from Fall Brawl 1995 are some of my favorite pieces of yours.
Thank you!

And I didn't even think this one was that good. That first few months of Nitro (and the PPVs) run I did has some great stuff in there.

I also fell down a rabbit hole and recently reread some of my stuff about the 2017 Survivor Series build and some of the stuff after it on Smackdown with Shane's vendetta against Zayn and Owens. There is some good stuff there, too, especially if you like me ranting at Shane McMahon.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » May 27th, '21, 11:18

Big Red Machine wrote: May 27th, '21, 01:52

Thank you!

And I didn't even think this one was that good. That first few months of Nitro (and the PPVs) run I did has some great stuff in there.

I also fell down a rabbit hole and recently reread some of my stuff about the 2017 Survivor Series build and some of the stuff after it on Smackdown with Shane's vendetta against Zayn and Owens. There is some good stuff there, too, especially if you like me ranting at Shane McMahon.
I mean, your seasonal rants about Brand Supremacy (tm) are on par with anything on the Brian and Vinny show.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 27th, '21, 11:41

NWK2000 wrote: May 27th, '21, 11:18
Big Red Machine wrote: May 27th, '21, 01:52

Thank you!

I mean, your seasonal rants about Brand Supremacy (tm) are on par with anything on the Brian and Vinny show.
I need to re-listen to some of their classic TNA stuff, but if people haven't heard them yet, NEED to check out Vinny's rants on 1) the Divas Revolution/MizTV segment, and 2) the Lockdown 2014 main event. That's how you rant about pro wrestling right there.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » May 28th, '21, 08:27

Big Red Machine wrote: May 27th, '21, 11:41
I need to re-listen to some of their classic TNA stuff, but if people haven't heard them yet, NEED to check out Vinny's rants on 1) the Divas Revolution/MizTV segment, and 2) the Lockdown 2014 main event. That's how you rant about pro wrestling right there.
"DIXIE CARTER'S MUSIC STARTED PLAYING"

Those are all great, but you're forgetting the ultimate.
"I HAVE A VERY LARGE BRAIN"
Vinny's made me laugh near constantly, but that one I laughed so hard I cried.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 28th, '21, 10:08

NWK2000 wrote: May 28th, '21, 08:27
"DIXIE. CARTER'S. MUSIC! STARTED! PLAYING!"

Fixed that fr you.

Also, "IT'S NOT THAT FREAKIN' HARD!"

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation