NJPW, RevPro, CMLL, DDT, etc
cero2k
Site Admin

Cero Reviews NJPW Wrestling Dontaku 2021 5.4

Post by cero2k » May 4th, '21, 18:15

NJPW Wrestling Dontaku 2021, Day 2
May 4th, 2021
Fukuoka, Japan

Announcement - Show opened with President Sugabayashi announcing that the card had changed due to COVID precautions and some of the talent was off the show. Some matches have been replaced, some postponed.

Suzuki-gun (DOUKI, Taichi & Zack Sabre Jr.) vs. BULLET CLUB (Jado, Tama Tonga & Tanga Loa) - 6.5/10
Virtually the same match we've seen all tour, with a lot of weapon use by both teams. DOUKI was the babyface in peril, Taichi got the hot tag, but quickly tagged in Sabre, who ended up tapping out Jado. Match was ok, not terrible by any means.

This is a match that we're gonna be getting a couple more times, now that Sabre defeated Loa to earn a tag title shot against GoD.

Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Master Wato vs. BULLET CLUB (Taiji Ishimori & Yujiro Takahashi) - 5/10
This was a replacement match, so it was just like an exhibition match. Maybe because of the last minute notice, it was mostly a Wato vs Bullet Club match, he took most of the match with Tenzan only coming in and out. Ishimori pinned Wato with the Bloody Cross.

Los Ingobernables de Japon (BUSHI, SANADA & Tetsuya Naito) vs. The United Empire (Aaron Henare, Great-O-Khan & Jeff Cobb) - 7/10
Good fun match, quite basic, but it was what it had to be. Naito was babyface in peril, SANADA the hot tag, and at the end, it came down to BUSHI and Cobb, with the latter winning with the Tour of the Islands. They still did the same pair ups of SANADA vs Henare and Naito vs O-Khan.

Hiroshi Tanahashi, Ryusuke Taguchi & Toru Yano vs. BULLET CLUB (Dick Togo, EVIL & Jay White) (w/Gedo) - 6/10
Imagine being Tanahashi and you have to wait for all of Yano's introduction.

This was 70% comedy, 30% White vs Tanahashi. With Yano and Taguchi in the same team, they did a lot of comedy early on, which bled into Taguchi being the babyface in peril. Tanahashi would end up getting the hot tag against White and then Togo for some wrestling, but at the end, the match was sandwiched with more Yano comedy. Yano pinned Togo after a low blow.

Post-match - White and Tana had a moment with the NEVER title, Taguchi too, but I think there are more chances we get a White/Tana rematch, than a White v Taguchi match.

IWGP World Heavyweight Title Match
Will Ospreay (c) (w/Aaron Henare, Great-O-Khan & Jeff Cobb) vs. Shingo Takagi - 9.75/10
Fantastic match, I'd place it slightly better than the New Japan Cup, but still not up there with the first BOSJ finals. The only thing that I think this match had against it was that it going 45 minutes, it felt less tightly packaged. Nothing in this match felt unnecessary or out of place, but somewhere in the middle, there were some minutes that you could just feel like they should be hitting 3rd gear, and they still hadn't.

I liked the callbacks to some previous matches, I enjoyed both table spots, I loved the striking sequences, I'm not crazy for Shingo doing Poisonranas, but they're still really big spots to have.

I don't think Shingo ever stood a chance at winning, and surely that also took away some of the emotion. I never forgot that Ospreay was winning.

OVERALL THOUGHTS
We can easily call this a one match show, but truth be told, for a show that lost three matches, including a title match, this was quite a good to great show. People usually complain that the undercard is meh because they're tag matches, but watching today's show felt like a nice showcase of everything New Japan, as they led to a big awesome main event.

Big Red Machine

Re: Cero Reviews NJPW Wrestling Dontaku 2021 5.4

Post by Big Red Machine » May 4th, '21, 20:56

The reason the tag matches were good is that people were motivated to work hard to make up for the big match not being there.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » May 4th, '21, 21:02

Big Red Machine wrote: May 4th, '21, 20:56 The reason the tag matches were good is that people were motivated to work hard to make up for the big match not being there.
Maybe, they were not thaat different from your usual tag match. We still had t-shirt Naito and BUSHI, and Taichi never took off his pants, if anything else, they had more time to work each match

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 4th, '21, 23:10

cero2k wrote: May 4th, '21, 21:02
Big Red Machine wrote: May 4th, '21, 20:56 The reason the tag matches were good is that people were motivated to work hard to make up for the big match not being there.
Maybe, they were not thaat different from your usual tag match. We still had t-shirt Naito and BUSHI, and Taichi never took off his pants, if anything else, they had more time to work each match
The times aren't that different from what we get on a "Road to..." show. I think it was just more motivation.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » May 5th, '21, 15:35

Big Red Machine wrote: May 4th, '21, 23:10
The times aren't that different from what we get on a "Road to..." show. I think it was just more motivation.
You could be right, hopefully they get motivated more often with these cards.

Have you seen the main event yet?

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 5th, '21, 17:32

cero2k wrote: May 5th, '21, 15:35
Big Red Machine wrote: May 4th, '21, 23:10
You could be right, hopefully they get motivated more often with these cards.

Have you seen the main event yet?
No. It's on my list, but everything for me in the past two days has been swallowed up by Tom Wilson bullsh*t. Watching the game tonight hoping tosee him leave on a stretcher.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation