BRM Reviews the 4/15/2021 NXT UK

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 4/15/2021 NXT UK

Post by Big Red Machine » Apr 23rd, '21, 13:27

BEN FRAZIER vs. SAXON HUXLEY- 6.5/10
Very good for the time it got. Good larger heel vs. smaller babyface stuff. Frazier won clean.

SAMUEL SHAW & NOAM DAR PROMO FROM EARLIER THIS WEEK- meh
Dar was good, but Shaw was insufferable. They want a match against Moustache Mountain next week.

SUPERNOVA SESSIONS WITH SPECIAL GUESTS GALLUS- meh
Boring. Gallus are boring. Thankfully, Eddie Dennis came out and interrupted things. He accused Joe Coffey of ducking him, then launched an ambush with the new Hunt. Referees came out to break up the brawl.

SAM GRADWELL IS LOCKED OUT OF SOMEWHERE AND YELLS A LOT- bad
I had no idea what was going on here.

MOUSTACHE MOUNTAIN PROMO FROM EARLIER TODAY- very ineffective
They face Dar and Samuels next week. They tried to talk it up as a big deal that this was the first time they’d be teaming in the BT Sports studio, which really doesn’t work as a hook. It’s like an old localized promo, except that there is no locality you’re appealing to because there are no fans allowed in the studio so it’s not like you’re saying “we’re teaming up in CITY X for the first time.”

ISLA DAWN vs. EMILIA MCKENZIE-6.5/10
A good match. I thought Isla really needed a win, but if Millie McKenzie was going to lose, I would have had this go a lot longer to keep her feeling like she’s turning heads in one way or another. If she can’t win, at least let her have a match that screams “I’m a main eventer!”

JINNY PROMO- AWESOME!
This was a tremendous heel promo on her opponent next week, Dani Luna.

In addition to Moustache Mountain vs. Dar & Samuels and Jinny vs. Luna, Joe Coffey vs. Eddie Dennis has also been signed for next week.

MEIKO SATOMURA AND AOIFE VALKYRIE BACKSTAGE LAST WEEK- fine
Meiko gave Aoife her feather back and says he accepts her challenge.

ASHTON SMITH vs. JACK STARZ (w/Piper Niven)- 6.25/10
A fine babyface vs. babyface match where you’re supposed to root for the underdog. Starz fought through the pain thanks to Piper Niven’s encouragement and won with a roll-up.

KENNY WILLIAMS vs. AMIR JORDAN- 7/10
Williams worked over Jordan’s surgically-repaired arm and also resorted to the sort of shady tactics that broke this team apart, but Jordan was on the look-out for them and mostly managed to avoid them… but you only need one to work to do enough damage to get the win.

This was a meh show from NXT UK. A maintenance show to build up bigger matches for next week with a big feud match between undercard guys in the main event is a good idea in theory, but the thing that hurt this show the most were the promos. Other than Jinny’s (and her match is certainly the least of the three matches for next week), all of the promos this week were meh or worse.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3