AEW & NXT ratings: Dynamite tops 900k viewers for closed set episode

Everything that is happening in the wrestling world.
cero2k
Site Admin

AEW & NXT ratings: Dynamite tops 900k viewers for closed set episode

Post by cero2k » Mar 20th, '20, 10:32

Source: f4wonline.com

On a night where both companies took different approaches to the idea of running a show with no fans, AEW Dynamite scored a big ratings success with their version of an empty arena show.

Dynamite averaged 932,000 viewers on Wednesday night, up 22 percent from last week. With news coverage of the coronavirus pandemic dominating the cable ratings, Dynamite finished 20th in the 18-49 demo. That said, the rating in that category was a 0.35, up 35 percent from last week.

The viewership was the best number for Dynamite since January 15.

NXT, on the other hand, presented a show with no live wrestling action and video packages building up their current feuds. It averaged 542,000 viewers, down 22 percent from last week. In 18-49, the show averaged a 0.16 rating, dropping all the way to 81st in that category.

The viewership was the lowest to date on USA Network. The 18-49 demo number was the second lowest, trailing only the January 1 episode, which was a Best Of show that also featured the NXT year-end awards.

Detailed demo ratings for NXT are not available since the show finished outside the top 50. For Dynamite, the strongest demo was men 18-49, where it actually tied for seventh overall on cable with a 0.47 rating.

Here's a look at the last 10 weeks of ratings and viewership totals for both Dynamite and NXT:

Big Red Machine

Re: AEW & NXT ratings: Dynamite tops 900k viewers for closed set episode

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 20th, '20, 11:13

AEW basically had no competition this week. Even I gave up on NXT when I realized how f*cking long that Gargano/Ciampa movie (WAY too long to call it a video package) was going, and when I realized that they weren't going to have any actual matches.

That being said, I'd like to think that AEW's success here will encourage WWE to try to put on a real show but with an empty arena rather than what they have been giving us, which is tons of video packages and/or old footage, and if we're lucky, a short match or two.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Thelone

Post by Thelone » Mar 21st, '20, 13:06

It kinda didn't help that WWE already showed twice what you're going to get from those empty arena shows and started with a glorified documentary for a feud that's way past its expiration date at this point.

I'm currently watching the Haru sumo tournament and yes, the lack of crowd was jarring at first, but I got used to it after a few days. My point is that if you're gonna put on a show no matter what, at least do it properly (with a lot of extra precautions of course) and don't half-ass it even more than usual.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 22nd, '20, 11:06

Keller pointed out that AEW made a great choice by setting things up with the hard-cam pointed with the stage in the background rather than the empty seats like WWE has done.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Mar 22nd, '20, 13:47

Big Red Machine wrote: Mar 22nd, '20, 11:06 Keller pointed out that AEW made a great choice by setting things up with the hard-cam pointed with the stage in the background rather than the empty seats like WWE has done.
Alvarez was all about that this week, that and having at least 10 people out there making noise. He made a bet that there was no way that WWE would see it, recognize that it's tons better, and change. Alvarez won that bet.

This last week i've seen the Ospreay show, the Stardom No People Gate, Dynamite, and I was curious to check out some stuff from RAW. WWE is the only show that looks weird without people, everyone be it by the wrestling or how it's shot, doesn't feel like you're watching a freshmen theater play.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 22nd, '20, 14:39

cero2k wrote: Mar 22nd, '20, 13:47
Big Red Machine wrote: Mar 22nd, '20, 11:06 Keller pointed out that AEW made a great choice by setting things up with the hard-cam pointed with the stage in the background rather than the empty seats like WWE has done.
Alvarez was all about that this week, that and having at least 10 people out there making noise. He made a bet that there was no way that WWE would see it, recognize that it's tons better, and change. Alvarez won that bet.

This last week i've seen the Ospreay show, the Stardom No People Gate, Dynamite, and I was curious to check out some stuff from RAW. WWE is the only show that looks weird without people, everyone be it by the wrestling or how it's shot, doesn't feel like you're watching a freshmen theater play.
They definitely won't see it, because WWE just doesn't think that way anymore, and that's a huge detriment. If you left Heyman or Gabe or Pearce or probably even Prichard in charge, they'd come up with a way to make it work, but the McMahons (Hunter included) and Kevin Dunn just can't conceive of doing wrestling any other way.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation