BRM Reviews the 11/4/2019 Raw (GREAT!)

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 11/4/2019 Raw (GREAT!)

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 5th, '19, 23:28

So yeah. After my big rant about how you just shouldn’t watch the build to Survivor Series because it will be predictable, dull, and pointless, here I am. I was skimming through the beginning of the live results on the Observer sight last night and one thing caught my eye and made me feel obligated to watch this show, so here I am. I’ll mention that thing when I get to it, but for now let’s just hope this episode of Raw doesn’t suck.

THREE BLACK SUVS PULL INTO THE PARKING LOT- Hunter gets out of one, then goes to the second one and knocks on the window a bit. We know it’s the NXT wrestlers, so why not just show us Adam Cole and Matt Riddle and Shayna Baszler getting out of the cars and looking like stars instead of Hunter being the only star and the rest of them are just his minions?

PAUL HEYMAN (& BROCK LESNAR) PROMO- They come out and Paul reminds us all that Brock quit Smackdown so that he could come to Raw and “hunt down Rey Mysterio.” Then Heyman said the line that caught my eye and made me feel like I had to watch this show:
“A few weeks ago, after the draft, Raw traded Alexa Bliss! and Nikki Cross to Smackdown for two future draft considerations.”
In my review of the October 18th Smackdown I ranted about how bad WWE’s coverage of this supposed “trade” was, so now that it is actually being brought up, I felt obligated to give them the chance to make this less stupid.
Heyman explained that only Brock can quit one show and go to the other because he has a “no-cut” contract.
And then the trade was never mentioned again… which just makes me wonder why Heyman brought it up in the first place? Did Heyman mean that Brock had a “no-trade clause?” Paul said that Brock has now been “assigned” to Raw, which is a better way to handle it than Brock just being allowed to sign where he wants, but the right way to do that would be for someone or some combination of people to be assigned from Raw to Smackdown as compensation, but nothing about that has been mentioned so far.
Heyman’s promo was great, but Rey (and, honestly, everyone else) really does look like a coward for not coming out and meeting the challenge.
They headed to the back and Vic Joseph not only reiterated that Brock couldn’t be fired and his contract had thus been “absorbed” by Raw, but also started to bring up the aforementioned trade when we cut to the back in time to see Brock throttling the life out of an extra and demanding to know where Rey is. Anyone remember the beginning of this year when Braun Strowman did basically the same thing in pursuit of Baron Corbin and we were supposed to see him as the hero? I hate this company. But dammit I need to find out if they’re actually going to do some damage control with this trade thing so I will watch on.

MORE OF BROCK ON A RAMPAGE BACKSTAGE- A poor, terrified innocent tells Brock he thinks Rey is in a car just over there. Brock drags the passenger out of the back of that car, but it turns out to be someone else. Brock angrily kicks the door of the car, knocking it off its hinges. Hmm… when Braun was on his rampage in this same situation, he, too, wound up knocking a car door off of its hinges.

Okay…these announcers need to switch spots. They’re standing there in perfect height order and Dio is facing sideways and I swear you could draw a straight line from the top of Lawler’s head as he is looking up to see the others, right to the top of Vic’s head and then continuing up the slope of Dio’s created by his headset pressing the front of his hair back while letting the back stand free. We heard these three talking for a while, and then they turned on the Kabuki Warriors’ music, then cut to them already in the ring, exposing to everyone watching at home that they don’t actually have music on during the commercials but rather turn it on in the middle a split second before the commercial ends.
And could we really not have shown the WWE Women’s Tag Team Champions making their entrance. Was it that necessary to show us Brock attacking a second innocent person?

THE KABUKI WARRIORS vs. CHARLOTTE FLAIR & NATALYA- 7/10
Charlotte’s entrance got interrupted to put over women being allowed to wrestle in Saudi Arabia. Everyone should listen to Wade Keller and friends’ wonderful rant about just how bullsh*t this “big moment” is.
Speaking of things getting interrupted, in the middle of this match they cut to a replay of Asuka misting Paige last week. Why couldn’t you have done this BEFORE the match?
Speaking of last week, Jerry Lawler thinks the NXT crew attacked people Smackdown last week “for publicity,” which is probably close enough to the shoot truth that if I were WWE, I wouldn’t want Lawler mentioning it on the air… especially because there is no intelligent kayfabe way to make sense of this comment.
And speaking of intelligence, Vic Joseph’s response to this was to say that he thinks NXT’s attack last week was “pre-meditated.” You mean they didn’t each individually just decide to show up at Smackdown on the same day and attack people and then just figure that while there all standing there in the back they might as well come out and stand in the ring while Hunter gives a speech? You know, Vic, I think you just might be on to something there.
Thank G-d for Dio Madden, who called both of them out for their stupidity.
This match went a long time, but the wrestlers made good use of it. Nattie made Asuka tap. Charlotte and Nattie seems like exactly the type of team WWE would put together, and I’m sure WWE is going to put the belts on them quickly in a vain attempt to capitalize on this Crown Jewel “history-making moment” bullsh*t.

PAUL HEYMAN & BROCK LESNAR THREATEN THE ANNOUNCERS-
Heyman actually threatened to have Brock murder Lawler if Lawler wouldn’t tell him where Rey was. And really… where the hell is Rey? Surely he’s in the building, right? Otherwise the announcers would have told us. So why is our babyface really hiding in the back while innocent people are made to suffer on his account instead of coming out here and fighting like a man?
Hey, look! Someone finally stepped up to Brock! And it’s Dio Madden of all people. Not Rey Mysterio Jr. Not Seth Rollins. Not Kevin Owens. Not Ricochet. It’s Dio Madden, the announcer. Brock proceeded to knee him in the gut and F-5 him through the announcers’ table, but at least he actually stood up to Brock.
Brock turns to leave, apparently satisfied that none of these men know where Rey is. Then Rey ran out and hit Brock in the knee with a pipe? Wiffleball bat? I’m not even sure what it was, but the point is that our supposed hero hid like a coward while others were assaulted in the Brock’s quest to find him, then attacked Brock from behind with a weapon, like a coward. After the commercial break, they showed us Brock having trouble limping backstage, but still doing so under his own power, looking for all the world like a babyface.

REY MYSTERIO JR. PROMO- a GREAT fiery babyface promo in which he challenged Brock to a title match at Survivor Series, saying that he is coming after what is most important to Brock (the WWE World Heavyweight Title) as revenge for Brock coming after what is most important to Rey (his family). I just wish the set-up for this had been better.

CEDRIC ALEXANDER vs. BUDDY MURPHY- 7/10
Holy sh*t this might be the best match under six minutes I’ve ever seen.

Vic referred to Raw as “the land of opportunity.” I used to like Vic, but the past forty minutes have completely changed that. His Michael Cole-like inflections and forced use of NXT terms (NXT “*shocked the system* when they *took over* Smackdown) is not helping matters. Also, WWE’s insistence on using the phrase “Triple H and his NXT army” every time has already sapped this angle all of the coolness it had.

SETH ROLLINS PROMO- a bad promo that turned into a MUST-SEE segment
The first thing we see when Seth comes out is his TitanTron proclaiming him to be the “Beast Slayer.” Well, Mr. Beast Slayer, where were you when said beast was running around attacking innocent people earlier?
Seth teases the heel route by telling the fans that he doesn’t care if they’re happy he lost the Universal Title to The Fiend. What he cares about is that Brock is now back on Raw as the world champion and thus everything he worked for is now undone. So yeah. We’re getting this same story for a THIRD TIME, WITH THIS SAME GUY, THIS YEAR ALONE!
He was insistent that his work to get the title off of Brock created opportunities for guys like Braun, AJ, and Corbin to step up. This was such pathetic, self-import bullsh*t full of corporate buzzwords because that’s the only way these WWE writers seem to know how to write.
Oops. Sorry. I spoke too soon. Instead of getting this same story with Seth again, we’re getting the story where the babyface just gives up (he said “I don’t know if I have the energy” to go after Brock and win the belt back). Some babyface he is.
He says he doesn’t know what is next for him. The fans chanted “NXT!” and Hunter came out to try to recruit him. At that point, this turned into a TREMENDOUS segment. So great that I’ll be generous here and say that Hunter taking kayfabe credit for creating The Shield isn’t a breach of kayfabe, as Punk was never given kayfabe credit for it and it does explain them suddenly becoming The Authority’s enforcers the next summer.
Hunter laid out a very compelling kayfabe argument for Seth to join NXT, ending with the implied threat of Undisputed Era coming down to ringside as Hunter told Seth “you’re either with us or you’re against us.”
The OC came out and Undisputed Era backed off despite having the numbers game, which I thought was odd, but it was soon revealed that they were baiting the OC into a trap, as other NXT wrestlers attacked them. Other Raw wrestlers came out to chase NXT away, while Rollins stood there with his hands on his head, struggling with the decision.

This point that people keep bringing up that NXT “fired the first shot when the whole roster was stuck overseas” rings rather hollow to me. Most of the women’s division was there (including the champion, her top star best friend, and the #1 contender) and the two men’s matches were completely clean victories for NXT against top stars in Bryan and Miz. And it’s not like NXT was using gang-tactics, either (other than the Zayn beat-down). You want to complain about sneak-attacks and Fire & Desire being ready for different opponents then that’s fine, but I don’t see how you can reasonably argue that Hunter did anything to take advantage of the fact that so much of the roster was stuck in Saudi Arabia.

SETH ROLLINS APPROACHES TRIPLE H BACKSTAGE- Rollins tells Hunter that if he wants Rollins on NXT, he’s not coming as a former champion… he’s coming as the top guy, and demands an NXT Title shot tonight! Hunter agrees. Everyone was great here, but they really need to explain the movement mechanism. I thought Hunter’s pitch to Seth was basically “join our side” rather than “be a part of our show.” Lawler wondered if Rollins won the NXT Title in the main event it would mean Seth would go to NXT, but that doesn’t mesh up with how the Universal Title was treated when The Fiend won it on Thursday, and the WWE World Heavyweight Title didn’t stay on Smackdown even though Brock left the brand.

ZELINA VEGA PROMO- AWESOME!

MIXED TAG TEAM MATCH: Sin Cara & Catalina vs. Andrade “Cien” Almas & Zelina Vega- 5/10
Heels win clean. Maybe they’re actually pushing Andrade for teal this time?

RUSEV, LANA, & LASHLEY SEGMENT- great
Rusev cut an awesome promo calling Lashley out. Lashley and Lana came out with Lashley on crutches because of a claimed “torn groin,” which he suffered because he banged Lana so hard. Lana says they have lined Drew McIntyre up as an opponent for Rusev instead. I’d like some sort of explanation for why McIntyre is willing to participate in what is clearly a ruse, even if that is as simple as Drew cutting a promo telling us that he is doing this because their plan would guarantee him a win and wins are necessary for title shots.

RUSEV vs. DREW MCINTYRE- 6/10
At one point Vic outright said that “one day Rusev will get his hands on Bobby Lashley.” This (teasing the payoff to put the idea in our heads) is exactly what an announcer is supposed to do, but I don’t remember the last time they this happened in this manner in WWE.
This was a good match until the predictable DQ finish when Lashley turns out not to be injured and hits Rusev with one of his crutches. Drew should be angry about this but isn’t, and as I said above, I think we need an explanation why. Drew left and Rusev made his own comeback but was quickly felled by an RKO out of nowhere. The announcers put over that Drew, Orton, and Lashley were all on Team Flair, but I just can’t buy that any of these wrestlers give a sh*t about that. Rusev’s Team Hogan teammate Ricochet came out and made the save. Lashley got bumped into Lana, which caused Lana to take a bump as well. This was a pointless waste of something that should have felt like a big moment.

CHARLY CARUSO’S SIT-DOWN INTERVIEW WITH BECKY LYNCH- GREAT!
Apparently we’re just getting three-ways with the champions, as Charly told us that we’re getting Becky vs. Bayley vs. Baszler at the PPV. Shayna Baszler showed up and shooed Charly away. Becky showed no fear, and they had a GREAT segment. The atmosphere for this was amazing. You kind of knew that no one would actually get physical, but it still had this great atmosphere of danger about it.

THE OC vs. THE STREET PROFITS & HUMBERTO CARRILLO- 6.5/10
We got some good pre-match interaction here. The Street Profits are fantastic babyface trolls.
Lawler called Carrillo a “jumping bean.” Is it really that hard to not say stuff like this? And if it is too hard for Lawler to not say things like his, he shouldn’t be given a live mic.
The match was exactly what you would expect. It was hurt by the finish, which was AJ pinned Carrillo while using the ropes for illegal leverage, except that AJ’s feet slipped off of the ropes and the fact that Carrillo still didn’t kick out shows that the extra leverage was unnecessary so Carrillo really did get beaten.

ADAM COLE VIDEO PACKAGE- fine

THE VIKING RAIDERS vs. THE EAST HAMPTON POLO BOYS- squash

VIKING RAIDERS PROMO- This was over the top, but I think guys calling themselves “the Viking Raiders” need to be a bit over the top. My favorite part of this was Ivar telling Gallows & Anderson to thank “the gods,” they won their match, because Vikings are polytheistic, so having them talk like it makes the characters feel a bit more authentic, which you absolutely have to do if you’re… well… going to dress in furs and call yourself “Ivar” and tell me you’re a member of “the Viking Raiders.”

NXT TITLE MATCH: Adam Cole(c) vs. Seth Rollins- 7/10
No clean finish this time, as Undisputed Era run in for the DQ. Everyone else runs in, too, and we get a schmoz to end the show, which was disappointing both for being a f*ck finish in the main event and also because the earlier segment was so great that I was expecting something less cliché here.

HOLY SH*T what a great show! I was not expecting Raw to be this good at all. One other thing I have to mention is that once Dio was taken out, they didn’t replace him on commentary, so we were back to a two-person booth! And not only did they go back to the two-person booth, but they had a kayfabe reason for it!

Only two announcers- and they came up with a reason for it.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Bob-O

Re: BRM Reviews the 11/4/2019 Raw (GREAT!)

Post by Bob-O » Nov 6th, '19, 11:33

Big Red Machine wrote: Nov 5th, '19, 23:28 Then Rey ran out and hit Brock in the knee with a pipe? Wiffleball bat?
Glad I wasn't the only one. This bothered the crap out of me! After going back several times, I can tell you it was a pipe. Rey tosses it in his backstage interview and you hear the "ting ting ting" of a pipe hitting the floor. The bottom was wrapped in tape, making it look like a handle. But, I'm with you... watching Rey swing it, it came off very light.
Big Red Machine wrote: Nov 5th, '19, 23:28 Hey, look! Someone finally stepped up to Brock! And it’s Dio Madden of all people. Not Rey Mysterio Jr. Not Seth Rollins. Not Kevin Owens. Not Ricochet. It’s Dio Madden, the announcer. Brock proceeded to knee him in the gut and F-5 him through the announcers’ table, but at least he actually stood up to Brock.
We also learned that Dio Madden is an absolute unit! I'm wondering if they realized if Dio looked more physically imposing than Brock when face to face. It was kind of awkward to see him get trashed like that.

But, I'm glad it happened, it could have been somebody from the back - but in this situation it needed to be Dio. It bugs the living piss out of me when the announce table is getting bullied by one of those stinkin' heels, and there's WRESTLERS at the announce table that do nothing. How many times did (pre heart attack) Jerry Lawler let people mess around with JR's hat? How many times did Taz sit back and watch Michael Cole shit his pants? Taz, Lawler, Graves, Striker, Mathews, JBL, Nigel, Percy, Jennifer Hudson's guy... I watched former AWA World Heavyweight Champion Larry Zybyzsko cower in terror to Scott Hall and Kevin Nash on Nitro, and to me that's bullcrap. I'm fairly sure Zybyzsko even has victories over Hall... I don't remember what was happening in the ring, but I remember once Booker T saying "SOMEBODY's gotta DO something! "... Booker? You're LITERALLY sitting right there. Shucky Ducky.

To me, it's like a doctor going out to eat with his family and yelling "isn't somebody going to help this guy!?" when the guy at the next table starts choking.

But, not Dio. He, without his training being common knowledge, was up to the task and said "I'm 'bout to catch a whoopin', but how about you pick on somebody your own size..." It's little things like that that'll make or break a character for me. I would absolutely love for this to turn into a side-angle where Dio just shit-talks Lesnar every week on commentary.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 6th, '19, 12:59

Bob-O wrote: Nov 6th, '19, 11:33
Big Red Machine wrote: Nov 5th, '19, 23:28 Then Rey ran out and hit Brock in the knee with a pipe? Wiffleball bat?
Glad I wasn't the only one. This bothered the crap out of me! After going back several times, I can tell you it was a pipe. Rey tosses it in his backstage interview and you hear the "ting ting ting" of a pipe hitting the floor. The bottom was wrapped in tape, making it look like a handle. But, I'm with you... watching Rey swing it, it came off very light.
Big Red Machine wrote: Nov 5th, '19, 23:28 Hey, look! Someone finally stepped up to Brock! And it’s Dio Madden of all people. Not Rey Mysterio Jr. Not Seth Rollins. Not Kevin Owens. Not Ricochet. It’s Dio Madden, the announcer. Brock proceeded to knee him in the gut and F-5 him through the announcers’ table, but at least he actually stood up to Brock.
We also learned that Dio Madden is an absolute unit! I'm wondering if they realized if Dio looked more physically imposing than Brock when face to face. It was kind of awkward to see him get trashed like that.

But, I'm glad it happened, it could have been somebody from the back - but in this situation it needed to be Dio. It bugs the living piss out of me when the announce table is getting bullied by one of those stinkin' heels, and there's WRESTLERS at the announce table that do nothing. How many times did (pre heart attack) Jerry Lawler let people mess around with JR's hat? How many times did Taz sit back and watch Michael Cole shit his pants? Taz, Lawler, Graves, Striker, Mathews, JBL, Nigel, Percy, Jennifer Hudson's guy... I watched former AWA World Heavyweight Champion Larry Zybyzsko cower in terror to Scott Hall and Kevin Nash on Nitro, and to me that's bullcrap. I'm fairly sure Zybyzsko even has victories over Hall... I don't remember what was happening in the ring, but I remember once Booker T saying "SOMEBODY's gotta DO something! "... Booker? You're LITERALLY sitting right there. Shucky Ducky.

To me, it's like a doctor going out to eat with his family and yelling "isn't somebody going to help this guy!?" when the guy at the next table starts choking.

But, not Dio. He, without his training being common knowledge, was up to the task and said "I'm 'bout to catch a whoopin', but how about you pick on somebody your own size..." It's little things like that that'll make or break a character for me. I would absolutely love for this to turn into a side-angle where Dio just shit-talks Lesnar every week on commentary.
Not saying your general idea is wrong (though Nigel and Taz both have injury excuses of the "one more bad bump could f*ck me up forever" type), but wasn't Zbyszko known as the only guy who DID stand up to the nWo?

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Nov 6th, '19, 14:22

I had no idea Dio was so enormous. I actually laughed at Brock when Dio stood up and was taller than him. Even though he got taken out, it didn’t make Brock feel like a badass to me at all.

I’m really new to Dio but I like him a lot.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Nov 7th, '19, 10:25

Yeah, instant credibility and character for Dionne Madden....
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Nov 7th, '19, 11:45

Serujuunin wrote: Nov 6th, '19, 14:22 I had no idea Dio was so enormous. I actually laughed at Brock when Dio stood up and was taller than him. Even though he got taken out, it didn’t make Brock feel like a badass to me at all.
So a total fail, a commentator should never outshine the champion in the "badass" department

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Nov 7th, '19, 15:27

cero2k wrote: Nov 7th, '19, 11:45
Serujuunin wrote: Nov 6th, '19, 14:22 I had no idea Dio was so enormous. I actually laughed at Brock when Dio stood up and was taller than him. Even though he got taken out, it didn’t make Brock feel like a badass to me at all.
So a total fail, a commentator should never outshine the champion in the "badass" department
To be fair, I'm not a fan of Lesnar in the first place, but yeah, kind of a failure in that department, for sure.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 7th, '19, 18:19

Serujuunin wrote: Nov 7th, '19, 15:27
To be fair, I'm not a fan of Lesnar in the first place, but yeah, kind of a failure in that department, for sure.
Brock wasn't supposed to be a badass here. He was supposed to be a bully. And you really don't think completely destroying a larger person in a fair fight in a matter of seconds doesn't qualify as "badass?"

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Nov 8th, '19, 10:32

Big Red Machine wrote: Nov 7th, '19, 18:19

Brock wasn't supposed to be a badass here. He was supposed to be a bully. And you really don't think completely destroying a larger person in a fair fight in a matter of seconds doesn't qualify as "badass?"
the Champion is ALWAYS supposed to be a badass when dealing with non-wrestlers, regardless of the size.

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Nov 8th, '19, 11:19

Not if said bigger person has no experience or the ability to defend themselves (or is shown not to in a storyline sense). Big =/= badass always.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Nov 8th, '19, 11:42

Serujuunin wrote: Nov 8th, '19, 11:19
Not if said bigger person has no experience or the ability to defend themselves (or is shown not to in a storyline sense). Big =/= badass always.
it's like you're trying to summon Dozer

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 8th, '19, 12:59

:|
cero2k wrote: Nov 8th, '19, 10:32

the Champion is ALWAYS supposed to be a badass when dealing with non-wrestlers, regardless of the size.
Dio is a former wrestler and a former football player, but either way, a champion threatening a non-wrestler who has done nothing wrong to him/her is a bully. It's tough to be a badass when you're threatening an innocent person who has no chance of fighting back effectively.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 8th, '19, 13:00

Dio I'd a wrestler and a former football player. They told us several times that he was trained by Booker T.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Nov 8th, '19, 14:45

Big Red Machine wrote: Nov 8th, '19, 13:00

Dio I'd a wrestler and a former football player. They told us several times that he was trained by Booker T.
I must have missed that part (which isn’t surprising since I skip a lot).

Also, it’s easy for me to watch Brock beat someone up and think that they’re not allowed to get a fight in because he has to look good. It’s hard to take it seriously when you see actual wrestlers get smoked when they’re not in the ring or not in their gear and take it like they’ve never been hit before.

I guess what I’m saying is that their presentation here is flawed because they haven’t given me a legit reason to feel like Brock is a monster. Even the match with Cain, to me it felt like they were trying to make him look good and get a measure of revenge for Cain beating him legit in MMA.

TLDR: Brock is a ruined commodity for me. Nothing they do with him makes me take him seriously.

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Nov 8th, '19, 14:49

cero2k wrote: Nov 8th, '19, 11:42
it's like you're trying to summon Dozer
Lol it’s true though!

I’m a tiny little thing, 5”5’, 115 pounds, and in my wrestling class in high school I beat up girls half again as big as me. I tackled dudes on the football team when we played football in gym, I nearly knocked a karate instructor on his butt in a self defense class.

These are all people significantly bigger than me but that doesn’t make them badass. And I am SO not badass in the slightest. I’m a tiny little geeky white girl.

All the huge guys I know IRL are giant softies.

I’m just not impressed by someone for being big. They have to give me a reason.