BRM Reviews the 10/16/2019 AEW Dynamite (best yet)

All AEW Related Reviews and Discussions
Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 10/16/2019 AEW Dynamite (best yet)

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 16th, '19, 21:47

THE LUCHA BROS. JUMP SCU FROM BEHIND AS THEY MAKE THEIR ENTRANCE- good
Daniels eats a Piledriver on the ramp from Penta el 0M. Scorpio Sky managed to come out in time to stop Rey Fenix from doing something similar to Kazarian. As a bonus, Jim Ross told us that the reason Scorpio Sky didn’t come out with SCU in the first place is that seconds are banned from ringside in these tournament matches. Due to Daniels’ injury, Scorpio Sky is being allowed to take his place in our opener, which is an…

AEW TAG TEAM TITLE TOURNAMENT QUARTERFINAL MATCH: Best Friends vs. SCU (Scorpio Sky & Kazarian)- 6.25/10
SCU overcame the damage done to Kaz’s back in the pre-match attack (which also become the story of the match) to get the win.

LAX vs. THE BEAVER BOYS- good squash

CHRIS JERICHO PROMO- good
On behalf of LAX he challenges the Young Bucks to a match at Full Gear.

CODY RHODES WORLD TITLE HYPE VIDEO PACKAGE- excellent

AEW WOMEN’S WORLD TITLE MATCH: Riho(c) vs. Dr. Britt Baker, DMD-7/10
A worthy enough first defense for the AEW Women’s World Title. The finish saw Britt lock in the Mandible Claw but Riho was able to roll her up during it and get the pin, which is a fine way to do a clean finish that also sets up a rematch down the road.
Also, did you guys know that Britt Baker is dentist? I learned that from Jim Ross during this match. Several times.

CHRISTOPHER DANIELS INJURY UPDATE- It’s just a stinger. He’ll be fine.
More importantly, though, is the fact that we actually got an injury update, and it didn’t feel completely phony like in WWE where it feels like they’re trying to impress us with mid-level fancy words like “contusion” and “lacerations.”

AEW TAG TEAM TITLE TOURNAMENT QUARTERFINAL MATCH: Lucha Bros. vs. Jurassic Express (Jungle Boy & Marko Stunt)- 6.5/10
Luchasaurus was replaced by Marko Stunt due to an injury. Private Party were shown watching this match from ringside, “scouting” their opponents for next week. The Lucha Bros. were bully heels who won a match that went on WAY too long and was your typical Lucha Bros. spotfest.

JON MOXLEY & PAC vs. THE ELITE (Kenny Omega & Adam Page)- 7/10
Moxley cut an okay in-set promo. This was going along swimmingly until Omega and Moxley both grabbed barbed wire-covered weapons from under the ring. Pac got the weapons away from them, which angered Moxley to the point where Moxley attacked him and walked out, leaving the heel PAC to get beaten up by the two babyfaces and then pinned. That is how they had Pac take his first loss.

They announced a bunch of stuff for next week, the biggest of which was the two tag title tournament semifinals and Pac vs. Moxley. I like that they run down next week’s card right before the main event of the show, as I feel like I a lot to look forward to next week the moment the show goes off the air (as opposed to mentioning different matches at different points during the show and me not necessarily remembering them all at the end of the show).

STREET FIGHT FOR THE AEW WORLD TITLE: Chris Jericho(c) vs. Darby Allin- 8/10
Darby repeated his feet from EVOLVE of wrestling with his hands restrained behind for a time. He had me even more terrified in this match than he did against Ethan Page because here he wound up going upside down. Jericho got to be the big mean heel he needs to be going into the Cody match, and Jake Hager’s interference on the finish didn’t actually both me this week for some reason. The Inner Circle celebrated in the ring after the match.

This was a pretty great show from AEW. Almost certainly the best yet. The build to Full Gear as been solid everywhere but the women’s division, and gthey still do have a few weeks to put something together for that.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Re: BRM Reviews the 10/16/2019 AEW Dynamite (best yet)

Post by cero2k » Oct 17th, '19, 09:05

Big Red Machine wrote: Oct 16th, '19, 21:47

Moxley cut an okay in-set promo. This was going along swimmingly until Omega and Moxley both grabbed barbed wire-covered weapons from under the ring. Pac got the weapons away from them, which angered Moxley to the point where Moxley attacked him and walked out, leaving the heel PAC to get beaten up by the two babyfaces and then pinned. That is how they had Pac take his first loss.

it's only a 2-0, not exactly a streak that was broken or anything, he's not even the best record in the company. And it took 4 finishers to pin him.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 17th, '19, 10:48

cero2k wrote: Oct 17th, '19, 09:05

it's only a 2-0, not exactly a streak that was broken or anything, he's not even the best record in the company. And it took 4 finishers to pin him.
But he's talked up how long he has gone without losing elsewhere as well.
It also came across as pathetically hollow revenge for Page. I think a better finish might have been Pac getting himself DQed.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Oct 17th, '19, 22:53

Big Red Machine wrote: Oct 17th, '19, 10:48

It also came across as pathetically hollow revenge for Page. I think a better finish might have been Pac getting himself DQed.
I’m not sure how that would have worked given how he tore Mox out for almost getting disqualified mere moments before.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 18th, '19, 07:06

Serujuunin wrote: Oct 17th, '19, 22:53
Big Red Machine wrote: Oct 17th, '19, 10:48

I’m not sure how that would have worked given how he tore Mox out for almost getting disqualified mere moments before.
Because without a partner and having just been attacked by his own partner, it's an unfair fight and thus he feels justified in getting out of it in this manner. And getting DQed when he is worried he will lose is very consistent with his character other places (especially RevPro).

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation