BRM Reviews WWE Hell in a Cell 2019

All WWE/F Related Reviews and Discussions
Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews WWE Hell in a Cell 2019

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 6th, '19, 20:32

WWE Hell in a Cell 2019 (10/6/2019)- Sacramento, CA

HELL IN A CELL MATCH FOR THE WWE RAW WOMEN’S TITLE: Becky Lynch(c) vs. Sasha Banks- 8.25/10
Awesome, brutal violence but Sasha is now basically dead as a character with this loss. It’s not that she can’t recover, but all of the momentum she had when she came back has pretty much disappeared by now as she has been booked like a completely generic heel rather than something special and different. She should have been portrayed in an almost CM Punk-like way, as someone who walked out and is now back to cause trouble for the company.

TORNADO TAG TEAM MATCH: Erick Rowan & Luke Harper vs. Daniel Bryan & Roman Reigns- 8.5/10
This was one hell of a wild brawl with some great selling, but the thing I loved the most was the way they made use of the stipulation to create this big surprise “run-in” type of spots that really upped the excitement level.

POST-MATCH BIT- dumb
Bryan subs Roman on a handshake just so he can demand a hug and get the fans to chant for it and they tease it a bit before doing it just for the pop. This was stupid indy sh*t.

CHARLY CARUSO INTERVIEWS SETH ROLLINS- bad
Seth tried his best to look unnerved and put over Bray’s bullsh*t “mind games” crap before finishing it off by forcing his catchphrase in. I bet you he doesn’t actually try to burn down Hell in a Cell.

RANDY ORTON vs. MUSTAFA ALI- 7/10
Ali’s midsection got worked over and he sold it like the babyface megastar he could be if this company would push him. That RKO counter and roll-up was one of my favorite spots all year.

WWE WOMEN’S TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH: Alexa Bliss! & Nikki Cross(c) vs. the Kabuki Warriors- 6.25/10
Alexa has an excellent point that the Kabuki Warriors haven’t done a damn thing to earn this title shot. The Kabuki Warriors would go on to prove that they were not worthy challengers, but still walked away with the belts due to green mist. They did a great job of making Asuka and Kairi feel progressively more heelish as the match went on, culminating in the very heelish finish.

SMACKDOWN ON FOX PREMIERE VIDEO PACKAGE- Yes, really. They wasted time trying to convince people who are already paying for their subscription service that we need to tune in to their free TV show.

THE VIKING RAIDERS & BRAUN STROWMAN vs. THE OC (AJ Styles, Luke Gallows, & Karl Anderson)- 6/10
They had what was a decent tag team match for a while before it ended with the heels getting DQed for being in the ring for too long without a tag. They beat Braun down until the Viking Raiders took out Gallows and Anderson, allowing Braun to knock AJ out with one punch because Braun is now feuding with a boxer so he has to have a knockout punch. If that was what you wanted to get over then why didn’t you just have Braun knock someone out with his big punch and cleanly pin him for the win?

THE STREET PROFITS WASTE TIME BACKSTAGE- They got interrupted by 24/7 goofball crap. Tamina is the new champion. Truth is still a moron.

BARON CORBIN vs. CHAD GABLE- 6.5/10
Before the match we got Corbin making short jokes at Gable. Has this feud even gone anywhere since day one? Even the ring announcer is calling Gable “shorty” now. Gable won by roll-up after avoiding a shot with the scepter. Cole proved that he has no knowledge of the context of the phrase “let them eat cake.” A match that got as much time as this one felt like it got should have been better than this was.

MORE 24/7 GOOFINESS- bad
Tamina used Funaki as a human shield, prompting R-Truth to act in a rather racist manner. Carmella kicked Tamina in the face and pinned her to win the title back, then she and Truth left.

WWE SMACKDOWN WOMEN’S TITLE MATCH: Bayley(c) vs. Charlotte Flair- 6.75/10
There were some spots in here that looked rather bad. Both women worked the leg. Charlotte won clean via submission, so she is now a ten-time champion despite being on the main roster for just over four years.

KAYLA BRAXTON INTERVIEWS CHAD GABLE- good
Now Kayla is being a jerk, too. Gable’s promo was pretty great, though. Then Corbin jumped him from behind in what was actually a pretty great backstage attack.

HELL IN A CELL MATCH FOR THE WWE UNIVERSAL TITLE: Seth Rollins(c) vs. The Fiend- no rating, weird but very good segment that turned into a bad segment
The goal here was to create a horror movie-esque feel with this inexorable that will not stay dead no matter what you do to it, and they succeeded wildly. The Fiend and Seth both played their parts wonderfully, and the match was laid out brilliantly for this purpose. That being said, I greatly disliked the decision to keep the wacky entrance lighting on the whole time, as it made it feel less real by making it feel like the promotion is on everything and is purposely adding mood lighting and a heavy breathing soundtrack.
I also despised the whole “think about what you’re doing, Seth!” part. First of all, the referee’s job is not to care about Seth Rollins’ conscience. The referee’s job is to ensure the safety of the competitors. If he doesn’t want Seth to hit The Fiend in the head with a sledgehammer, he should CALL FOR THE F*CKING BELL and award Seth the victory via referee stoppage. Thankfully that did happen when Seth hit The Fiend with the sledgehammer (through a pile of stuff, of course), and Seth’s “you made me do that!” reaction was great… but then the whole idea of Seth having gone to a bad place mentally in order to beat The Fiend was rendered irrelevant when The Fiend got back up and kicked Seth’s ass.
As much as I didn’t like the things I have listed above, it was The Fiend’s comeback that really killed this for me. First of all, as the fans noted with their “RESTART THE MATCH!” chant, The Fiend kind of got screwed, here, as the referee awarded Seth the match when The Fiend was still capable of fighting. I’ll accept the argument that The Fiend was knocked out and that Seth was the rightful winner, but either way, The Fiend making a comeback and beating Seth up at the end killed everything they did here, because it pretty much sets us back at square one. Seth is still the champion, but The Fiend is a scary unstoppable force. Even while giving us a clean finish, they still managed to screw us over on the finish of a Hell in a Cell match.

This was a surprisingly good show from WWE, despite the ending. It was mostly just wrestling that was solid or better (and, in most cases, better). Bryan & Roman vs. Harper & Rowan is definitely a match everyone should check out, and I would encourage everyone to watch the main event for themselves and form their own opinions on it. Even despite hating the finish, this is a WWE show that I am not walking away from feeling particularly screwed out of my time, which is a big step for WWE.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

NWK2000

Re: BRM Reviews WWE Hell in a Cell 2019

Post by NWK2000 » Oct 6th, '19, 20:46

The main event reeked of 80s era bullshit, where it was like, "Oh! We gotta keep both guys strong but we don't want to have either guy lose so we're just going to provide a dirty finish" And I'm sure The Fiend is going to Smackdown, so we'll never have to deal with the aftermath, but still really wanted a clean Fiend win.
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 6th, '19, 20:52

NWK2000 wrote: Oct 6th, '19, 20:46 The main event reeked of 80s era bullshit, where it was like, "Oh! We gotta keep both guys strong but we don't want to have either guy lose so we're just going to provide a dirty finish" And I'm sure The Fiend is going to Smackdown, so we'll never have to deal with the aftermath, but still really wanted a clean Fiend win.
See... this is the occasion where I thought that actually wasn't the case. I thought they did what they thought was the best possible storyline finish while still keeping the belt on Seth. I think there could be mileage in The Fiend losing cleanly like this but Seth's mind being infected, turning him into a monster for someone else (Roman, Bryan, or maybe even a guy like Ricochet) to eventually slay at Mania... but I don't think WWE is sophisticated enough to pull something like that off (hell, I don't think they could even resist the urge to keep them on the same show during that storyline, even though it would make the "infection" feel even more powerful if they were apart).

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » Oct 6th, '19, 21:01

Big Red Machine wrote: Oct 6th, '19, 20:52
NWK2000 wrote: Oct 6th, '19, 20:46 The main event reeked of 80s era bullshit, where it was like, "Oh! We gotta keep both guys strong but we don't want to have either guy lose so we're just going to provide a dirty finish" And I'm sure The Fiend is going to Smackdown, so we'll never have to deal with the aftermath, but still really wanted a clean Fiend win.
See... this is the occasion where I thought that actually wasn't the case. I thought they did what they thought was the best possible storyline finish while still keeping the belt on Seth. I think there could be mileage in The Fiend losing cleanly like this but Seth's mind being infected, turning him into a monster for someone else (Roman, Bryan, or maybe even a guy like Ricochet) to eventually slay at Mania... but I don't think WWE is sophisticated enough to pull something like that off (hell, I don't think they could even resist the urge to keep them on the same show during that storyline, even though it would make the "infection" feel even more powerful if they were apart).
It occurred to me that this could possibly be a double turn, or rather, the start of something heelish for Seth. But I feel like they should've struck while the iron was hot.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 6th, '19, 21:49

NWK2000 wrote: Oct 6th, '19, 21:01
Big Red Machine wrote: Oct 6th, '19, 20:52
It occurred to me that this could possibly be a double turn, or rather, the start of something heelish for Seth. But I feel like they should've struck while the iron was hot.
Striking while the iron is hot does not have to mean putting the title on someone. This sort of match with The Fiend can only be done once, and Seth does feel like the best person to do that sort of thing with.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Oct 6th, '19, 22:01

Big Red Machine wrote: Oct 6th, '19, 20:32
HELL IN A CELL MATCH FOR THE WWE UNIVERSAL TITLE: Seth Rollins(c) vs. The Fiend- no rating, weird but very good segment that turned into a bad segment
A DUD if I ever read one

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » Oct 6th, '19, 22:12

cero2k wrote: Oct 6th, '19, 22:01
Big Red Machine wrote: Oct 6th, '19, 20:32
A DUD if I ever read one
I mean, BRM's logic makes total sense, but yeah, my intial response to this was a dud. Didn't feel good.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Oct 6th, '19, 22:27

NWK2000 wrote: Oct 6th, '19, 22:12

I mean, BRM's logic makes total sense, but yeah, my intial response to this was a dud. Didn't feel good.
Just the idea of a ref stoppage, DQ, no contest IN A HELL IN A CELL would had been a negative rating for me, it's a fucking HELL IN A CELL! Foley fell from the cage twice and the match kept going!

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » Oct 6th, '19, 22:31

cero2k wrote: Oct 6th, '19, 22:27

Just the idea of a ref stoppage, DQ, no contest IN A HELL IN A CELL would had been a negative rating for me, it's a fucking HELL IN A CELL! Foley fell from the cage twice and the match kept going!
I feel like the speed of which the ref called for the bell was the ref in kayfabe going, "Oh shit, he just killed a guy" and Seth looking like he was going to start weeping openly after doing it really helped sell the matter. But yeah, the root question of "why have a finish like this in a Hell in a Cell match" is a valid one.

Edit: They teased a ref stoppage the first time but then didn't because Foley got back up.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 6th, '19, 22:39

cero2k wrote: Oct 6th, '19, 22:27

Ref stoppages are fine. Ref stoppages occur when one side has been so badly beaten they cannot consciously defend themselves.

Yes, Foley fell off the cell, but he was still conscious.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Oct 6th, '19, 22:59

Big Red Machine wrote: Oct 6th, '19, 22:39
Ref stoppages are fine. Ref stoppages occur when one side has been so badly beaten they cannot consciously defend themselves.

then let Seth pin Bray. It's not the first knockout we've seen, nor the first hammer shot we've seen, that wasn't just followed with a pin

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Oct 6th, '19, 23:00

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Oct 6th, '19, 23:05

ALSO, unless shit goes down beforehand, Survivor Series is gonna be Rollins vs Lesnar and Charlotte vs Becky again.

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » Oct 6th, '19, 23:21

cero2k wrote: Oct 6th, '19, 23:00
X-Pac saying "Alright" and then slamming the table is big mood.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Oct 6th, '19, 23:47

Yeah in other news...FUCK OFF FAT BOY.

Bailey the hot new heel lost the the title. Sasha the other hot new heel, and her partner, also didn't win the title.

Plus they obviously aren't winning the tag titles. At least not too soon ? Not to mention Charlotte dumbass flair is now a 10 time champion in 4 years, and tell me what storyline purpose that serves?

Becky is still champion and it's way past her time, not to mention Sasha and Bailey were poorly mishandled at almost every possible chance, except for when they chairs in their hands. Even then those two idiots got them once or twice.

Extremely happy for Asuka and Kairi Sane though.

Not to mention I guess Rowan and Harper lost again? Fuck it why not?

Idc what anyone says, AJ Styles should be a double champion right now btw.

And hey guess what?

NO WWE TITLE MATCH!!!!

AHAHAHAHAHA! FUCK YOU AND FUCK OFF FAT BOY!

NEVER SEEN THAT BEFORE.

Baron Corbin still? Nope!
Last edited by KILLdozer on Oct 7th, '19, 00:23, edited 1 time in total.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Oct 6th, '19, 23:50

Not to mention, back to my original points about Sasha and Bayley, there was NO REASON they shouldn't be fighting for the tag titles as well on the other hand. As glad as I am with the new champions....They've beaten the old ones several times as well as in singles matches....I KINDA thought the whole point of that was them earning a tag title match ??????????
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 7th, '19, 08:52

cero2k wrote: Oct 6th, '19, 22:59
Big Red Machine wrote: Oct 6th, '19, 22:39

then let Seth pin Bray. It's not the first knockout we've seen, nor the first hammer shot we've seen, that wasn't just followed with a pin
It was their attempt to protect The Fiend by doing an equivalent if the babyface passing out from the pain so he/she doesn't have to actually tap out.
With the hindsight of the way WWE spelled it put on their website, though, I do believe I gave them too much credit by thinking that their intended finish here was a referee stoppage victory for Seth rather than a nebulous bullsh*t referee stoppage so that no one has to do a job

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Oct 7th, '19, 10:09

Big Red Machine wrote: Oct 7th, '19, 08:52
It was their attempt to protect The Fiend by doing an equivalent if the babyface passing out from the pain so he/she doesn't have to actually tap out.
With the hindsight of the way WWE spelled it put on their website, though, I do believe I gave them too much credit by thinking that their intended finish here was a referee stoppage victory for Seth rather than a nebulous bullsh*t referee stoppage so that no one has to do a job
like i understand why they did it, it's just terrible execution. It was them that decided to book themselves into Bray vs Rollins at HIAC, this isn't like they had to work with constraints or compromises. If you don't want the fiend to lose, don't book him in this match yet, especially a match that is known to have no DQs, no countouts, no limits.

On a related note, it's bad that no one could tell what the actual result was. The Watch-Along thought it was a DQ. FOX tweeted it was a DQ too.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Oct 7th, '19, 10:11

Trivia: Last night, Tamina won her first ever championship in her 10 year career -- The 24/7 title

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » Oct 7th, '19, 10:22

cero2k wrote: Oct 7th, '19, 10:09
Big Red Machine wrote: Oct 7th, '19, 08:52
like i understand why they did it, it's just terrible execution. It was them that decided to book themselves into Bray vs Rollins at HIAC, this isn't like they had to work with constraints or compromises. If you don't want the fiend to lose, don't book him in this match yet, especially a match that is known to have no DQs, no countouts, no limits.

On a related note, it's bad that no one could tell what the actual result was. The Watch-Along thought it was a DQ. FOX tweeted it was a DQ too.

And yet WWE's official Twitter is calling it an "unexpected ruling" [tweet][/tweet]

I dunno why they're dancing around the word ref stoppage so much but eh.