The Fiend advertised for WWE Hell in a Cell Universal title match

Everything that is happening in the wrestling world.
cero2k
Site Admin

The Fiend advertised for WWE Hell in a Cell Universal title match

Post by cero2k » Aug 27th, '19, 19:27

Source: f4wonline.com

The Fiend (Bray Wyatt) may be getting a Universal title shot at Hell in a Cell.

The Golden 1 Center in Sacramento, California posted a tweet today advertising that The Fiend will challenge either Seth Rollins or Braun Strowman in a Hell in a Cell match at October's pay-per-view: "Get ready @WWE fans... 'The Fiend' @WWEBrayWyatt challenges @WWERollins or @BraunStrowman to a #HIAC match! Get your tickets now, and stay tuned"

Whether or not the match will happen remains to be seen. The Golden 1 Center had been advertising Rollins vs. Drew McIntyre for the PPV.

On last night's Raw, it was confirmed that Rollins will defend his Universal Championship against Strowman at Clash of Champions on September 15. Both Rollins and Strowman will be wrestling twice at Clash of Champions, with them also set to defend their Raw Tag Team titles against Dolph Ziggler & Robert Roode.

Wyatt's Fiend character made its in-ring debut at SummerSlam and defeated Finn Balor.

Hell in a Cell is taking place at the Golden 1 Center on October 6.

Big Red Machine

Re: The Fiend advertised for WWE Hell in a Cell Universal title match

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 27th, '19, 20:21

Please no.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Aug 28th, '19, 08:52

Big Red Machine wrote: Aug 27th, '19, 20:21 Please no.
Took the words right out of my mouth.

XIV

Post by XIV » Aug 28th, '19, 09:08

I cannot see how it can even get to that point in a matter of 6 weeks..!!

But a character like the Fiend doesn't need championships and this early into the repackaging, it definitely shouldn't be occurring.
Have A Nice Day!

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Aug 28th, '19, 09:52

XIV wrote: Aug 28th, '19, 09:08 I cannot see how it can even get to that point in a matter of 6 weeks..!!

But a character like the Fiend doesn't need championships and this early into the repackaging, it definitely shouldn't be occurring.
the problem is that he shouldn't be getting beat until WM, so we're either already getting a loss, a championship reign, or a shitty non-finish. None of them are good ideas right not for The Fiend.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 28th, '19, 11:12

cero2k wrote: Aug 28th, '19, 09:52
XIV wrote: Aug 28th, '19, 09:08 I cannot see how it can even get to that point in a matter of 6 weeks..!!

the problem is that he shouldn't be getting beat until WM, so we're either already getting a loss, a championship reign, or a shitty non-finish. None of them are good ideas right not for The Fiend.
The Fiend can lose just fine, if the loss is part of a story and is used to offer insight into his psyche. The real problem is that they haven't figured any of that sh*t out yet, because if they did, he would be doing more than just using magical powers of teleportation and interfering with the production values before attacking random people. This sh*t has been going on for four months now, and the only bit of that Firefly Funhouse crap that has proven to be in any way relevant were the few images we saw of The Fiend. He's Bray Wyatt with a new paint-job. That's all.
And that's the bigger problem. Because until that is fixed, he's just another new monster, and once that monster loses the first time, it's all down-hill from there because WWE will keep having babyfaces beat the monster after that in a vain attempt to get those babyfaces over more, which kills any value in beating that monster, and doesn't even help the babyfaces in question because WWE's incompetent booking undoes any benefits those babyfaces get from beating the mosnter heel.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Aug 28th, '19, 11:46

Big Red Machine wrote: Aug 28th, '19, 11:12
The Fiend can lose just fine, if the loss is part of a story and is used to offer insight into his psyche. The real problem is that they haven't figured any of that sh*t out yet, because if they did, he would be doing more than just using magical powers of teleportation and interfering with the production values before attacking random people. This sh*t has been going on for four months now, and the only bit of that Firefly Funhouse crap that has proven to be in any way relevant were the few images we saw of The Fiend. He's Bray Wyatt with a new paint-job. That's all.
And that's the bigger problem. Because until that is fixed, he's just another new monster, and once that monster loses the first time, it's all down-hill from there because WWE will keep having babyfaces beat the monster after that in a vain attempt to get those babyfaces over more, which kills any value in beating that monster, and doesn't even help the babyfaces in question because WWE's incompetent booking undoes any benefits those babyfaces get from beating the mosnter heel.
that latter part is exactly why I think the Fiend shouldn't lose until WM. I have zero confidence that they'll add any layers to Wyatt/Fiend, so at least let the monster become a monster before you show he has weaknesses or the inevitable scooby do reveal.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 28th, '19, 12:02

cero2k wrote: Aug 28th, '19, 11:46
Big Red Machine wrote: Aug 28th, '19, 11:12
that latter part is exactly why I think the Fiend shouldn't lose until WM. I have zero confidence that they'll add any layers to Wyatt/Fiend, so at least let the monster become a monster before you show he has weaknesses or the inevitable scooby do reveal.
That then requires the character(or, rather, lack thereof) to have enough gas to last until Mania before people grow bored of him, which I'm not certain they do.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Aug 28th, '19, 14:18

Big Red Machine wrote: Aug 28th, '19, 12:02
That then requires the character(or, rather, lack thereof) to have enough gas to last until Mania before people grow bored of him, which I'm not certain they do.
it all boils down to 'we have no confidence that wwe will do this right'.

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » Aug 28th, '19, 19:32

cero2k wrote: Aug 28th, '19, 14:18
I REALLY hope if they're going to put him anywhere near the title this soon, they just say fuck it and give him the clean duke. Might as well jump on it while it's hot, ya know?
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Aug 28th, '19, 19:51

I’m so glad you guys seem about as high on The Fiend as I am. I legit thought I was missing something that was supposed to make him cool.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Aug 28th, '19, 20:33

NWK2000 wrote: Aug 28th, '19, 19:32
I REALLY hope if they're going to put him anywhere near the title this soon, they just say fuck it and give him the clean duke. Might as well jump on it while it's hot, ya know?
it's the same thought that we had with Bray's original run, but I just don't think WWE is willing to go all out with a 'supernatural' world champion anymore

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 28th, '19, 21:10

Serujuunin wrote: Aug 28th, '19, 19:51 I’m so glad you guys seem about as high on The Fiend as I am. I legit thought I was missing something that was supposed to make him cool.
You're not missing anything. The thing that is supposed to make him cool is all of the magical hullabaloo and the occasional insider comment on the Firefly Funhouse. He's surface-level cool because that's all WWE thinks they need. But there is absolutely nothing underneath. He's the same one-dimensional goof he was before.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Aug 28th, '19, 22:05

Big Red Machine wrote: Aug 28th, '19, 21:10
Serujuunin wrote: Aug 28th, '19, 19:51 I’m so glad you guys seem about as high on The Fiend as I am. I legit thought I was missing something that was supposed to make him cool.
You're not missing anything. The thing that is supposed to make him cool is all of the magical hullabaloo and the occasional insider comment on the Firefly Funhouse. He's surface-level cool because that's all WWE thinks they need. But there is absolutely nothing underneath. He's the same one-dimensional goof he was before.
That's where I think everyone's got it wrong. The magical hullabaloo/horror movie stuff is what is SUPPOSED to make him cool. But I think what everyone got so excited for was the depth. The "hurt/heel" aspect and the unpredictability of it all. The Funhouse was the most creative thing they've done in years, and it added more depth to somebody we already know and love. I think what people were really excited for was it looked like WWE was finally committing to something bigger than begging us to use the stupid nicknames they come with. Who TF says "Big Dawg" irl?

TL;DR - People got excited because they thought there'd be a brilliant/twisted reason he was attacking people. As people figure out that there won't be, the buzz is going to die. Nothing to do with who's involved, just being ~this~ close to a good deep story and not getting it... again...
NWK2000 wrote: Aug 28th, '19, 19:32
cero2k wrote: Aug 28th, '19, 14:18
I'll actually second that. As I said above, I have no confidence that WWE will do this right, and he's not gonna be hot for long if he's not protected. Getting the belt on him wouldn't hurt.

This feels like a Heyman move, if I'm honest.