FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Earth Child

Re: I'm SOOOOO Happy I Skipped This Week's Raw

Post by Earth Child » Jul 22nd, '19, 22:58

What was up with that finishing segment and Austin?

No stunners for anyone?

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 23rd, '19, 08:49

Earth Child wrote: Jul 22nd, '19, 22:58 What was up with that finishing segment and Austin?

No stunners for anyone?
Probably all too old to be allowed to bump.

But that certainly doesn't invalidate your sentiment.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jul 23rd, '19, 09:20

They've been trying to make Kevin Owens as the new Steve Austin against Shane McMahon and they didn't figure out how to give Owens a rub with Stone Cold in the show

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Jul 23rd, '19, 09:31

Big Red Machine wrote: Jul 23rd, '19, 08:49
Earth Child wrote: Jul 22nd, '19, 22:58 What was up with that finishing segment and Austin?

No stunners for anyone?
Probably all too old to be allowed to bump.

But that certainly doesn't invalidate your sentiment.
I got a good vibe from the show. That said, it wasn't a "tune in next week" vibe, or even a "this is why I'm a fan" vibe... but I liked it as a stand-alone show. I think they knew they had a slew of legends in the building and that the Austin segment was going to blow the rest out of the water. Instead of making the segment and the night's vibe about Stone Cold, they let him make the night about the rest of the guys, and I thought they did a really nice job. A Stunner-fest would have been cool too, but I don't think they wanted him stealing the show.

...or, he didn't get cleared to perform the move...

...if Rikishi couldn't get PHYSICALLY CLEARED to bend over and shove a man's face into his asshole, I could see them telling Steve to stick to the beer drinkin and the story tellin'.

Back to my original point, I thought they did such a nice job with the integration of the legends tonight that - and maybe I'm alone on this, maybe I'm just old, but as a lifelong WWE Fan - it made today's product look worse, I think they inadvertently weakened their modern brand. Seth Rollins was cringworthy and embarassing... so much so that AJ decided to jaw with Shawn on his way out instead... it's bad right now.

Usually when they do this they cram all the legends they advertised into a 30 second backstage segment, a few cameos to stall current storylines, and 20 minutes of DX that I'm supposed to be excited for. Tonight felt more like a celebration and an actual reunion (thanks to Stone Cold), but also struck me as a reminder of how much fun this show was when it had actual stars.

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Jul 23rd, '19, 10:04

Bob-O wrote: Jul 23rd, '19, 09:31 Seth Rollins was cringworthy and embarassing... so much so that AJ decided to jaw with Shawn on his way out instead... it's bad right now.
I mean... that's their "Top Guy" right now...

That's not somebody I want to live vicariously through...

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jul 23rd, '19, 10:40

Bob-O wrote: Jul 23rd, '19, 09:31
I got a good vibe from the show. That said, it wasn't a "tune in next week" vibe, or even a "this is why I'm a fan" vibe... but I liked it as a stand-alone show. I think they knew they had a slew of legends in the building and that the Austin segment was going to blow the rest out of the water. Instead of making the segment and the night's vibe about Stone Cold, they let him make the night about the rest of the guys, and I thought they did a really nice job. A Stunner-fest would have been cool too, but I don't think they wanted him stealing the show.

...or, he didn't get cleared to perform the move...

...if Rikishi couldn't get PHYSICALLY CLEARED to bend over and shove a man's face into his asshole, I could see them telling Steve to stick to the beer drinkin and the story tellin'.

Back to my original point, I thought they did such a nice job with the integration of the legends tonight that - and maybe I'm alone on this, maybe I'm just old, but as a lifelong WWE Fan - it made today's product look worse, I think they inadvertently weakened their modern brand. Seth Rollins was cringworthy and embarassing... so much so that AJ decided to jaw with Shawn on his way out instead... it's bad right now.

Usually when they do this they cram all the legends they advertised into a 30 second backstage segment, a few cameos to stall current storylines, and 20 minutes of DX that I'm supposed to be excited for. Tonight felt more like a celebration and an actual reunion (thanks to Stone Cold), but also struck me as a reminder of how much fun this show was when it had actual stars.
Last time I saw Rikishi do an appearance live, he was brought out on a little motorized cart, dude really can't do much when it comes to balancing his weight anymore. Having said that, I kinda feel that they should have checked in with everyone before writing all the skits. Like Patterson not being able to even be put on his back because he's 70, that's something that I feel WWE should have kept up with before writing the show.

that last part was totally true, that Rollins picture is devastating. It's something that Meltzer repeated several times as they announced the show, that the old timers were going to outshine all the current talent. I get that it's a nostalgia show and they want to play all the hits with the legends, but I just don't know how they can't manage to find positive ways to pass torches and make the old timers stand behind the current talent

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jul 23rd, '19, 10:43

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Jul 23rd, '19, 19:19

Most Seth Rollins promos lately leave me an immediate feeling of "Oh here we go with this fuckin' shit again...", and that's especially the Broc Lesnar ones.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 23rd, '19, 22:17

KILLdozer wrote: Jul 23rd, '19, 19:19 Most Seth Rollins promos lately leave me an immediate feeling of "Oh here we go with this fuckin' shit again...", and that's especially the Broc Lesnar ones.
Agreed. He's definitely on track to hit Dolph Ziggler territory in a year or two.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Jul 23rd, '19, 22:39

Big Red Machine wrote: Jul 23rd, '19, 22:17
KILLdozer wrote: Jul 23rd, '19, 19:19 Most Seth Rollins promos lately leave me an immediate feeling of "Oh here we go with this fuckin' shit again...", and that's especially the Broc Lesnar ones.
Agreed. He's definitely on track to hit Dolph Ziggler territory in a year or two.
In a year or two? Definitely a lot less than that.

Earth Child

Post by Earth Child » Jul 23rd, '19, 23:36

That image of Seth being left out of the group hug made me lol at work
:D

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Jul 24th, '19, 10:18

This legitimately makes me sad. Man’s fantastic at what he does but he’s been made to feel like an afterthought. He’s the Universal champion for christ’s sake and he’s been playing second fiddle to Becky, and then this...

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 24th, '19, 10:49

Serujuunin wrote: Jul 24th, '19, 10:18
This legitimately makes me sad. Man’s fantastic at what he does but he’s been made to feel like an afterthought. He’s the Universal champion for christ’s sake and he’s been playing second fiddle to Becky, and then this...
Part of it is Becky's involvement, part of it was Corbin, now part of it us feuding with a guy who is never on TV, but I think a major underlying issue is that he really doesn't have any sort of definable character. He's just a babyface they push and give a lot of mic time to.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Jul 24th, '19, 11:06

Big Red Machine wrote: Jul 24th, '19, 10:49
Serujuunin wrote: Jul 24th, '19, 10:18

Part of it is Becky's involvement, part of it was Corbin, now part of it us feuding with a guy who is never on TV, but I think a major underlying issue is that he really doesn't have any sort of definable character. He's just a babyface they push and give a lot of mic time to.
Heel Seth Rollins did much better. This shouting like a crazy guy with a voice "higher than Becky Lynch", as a certain fat boy put it, just doesn't help much either. I mean yeah, a top guy has to have the right people around him to feed off of, plus things have been so repetitive now also.

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Jul 25th, '19, 19:29

Scott Hall:
"What people don't realize is that EVERYONE in that room said when it was presented to us was 'Well geez, like... we're kinda burying those guys...", it was addressed and it was overruled."