WWE To Run Tapings At MSG For The First Time In A Decade

Everything that is happening in the wrestling world.
Bob-O

WWE To Run Tapings At MSG For The First Time In A Decade

Post by Bob-O » Jul 10th, '19, 08:35

Source: pwinsider

WWE officially announced they will return to Madison Square Garden on 9/9 and 9/10 for Raw and Smackdown tapings.

WWE last ran the venue in December 2018. These return events will feature the first WWE TV tapings in the Garden since a Raw taping on 11/16/09. That taping was headlined by WWE World Champion John Cena & World Heavyweight Champion the Undertaker defeating DX's Triple H & Shawn Michaels and WWE Unified Tag Team Champions Chris Jericho & the Big Show in a Triple Threat match. Since then, MSG has hosted live events, the 2011 Survivor Series and the 2013 WWE Hall of Fame.

The tapings will take place just a few days before AAA Lucha Libre debuts in the venue on 9/15 and a week before New Japan Pro Wrestling runs the Hammerstein Ballroom around the corner on 9/28. Ring of Honor and New Japan Pro Wrestling combined to run MSG with G1 Supercard this past April.

cero2k
Site Admin

Re: WWE To Run Tapings At MSG For The First Time In A Decade

Post by cero2k » Jul 10th, '19, 10:04

Bob-O wrote: Jul 10th, '19, 08:35
The tapings will take place just a few days before AAA Lucha Libre debuts in the venue on 9/15 and a week before New Japan Pro Wrestling runs the Hammerstein Ballroom around the corner on 9/28. Ring of Honor and New Japan Pro Wrestling combined to run MSG with G1 Supercard this past April.
just like with G1 Climax in Dallas. NJPW should run in an unknown city to see if WWE also goes running behind them trying to steal some fans

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Jul 10th, '19, 10:26

cero2k wrote: Jul 10th, '19, 10:04
Bob-O wrote: Jul 10th, '19, 08:35
just like with G1 Climax in Dallas. NJPW should run in an unknown city to see if WWE also goes running behind them trying to steal some fans
Hey Vince, New Japan just announced they're partnering with AAA for a huge show in Corpus Christi! Should we do the thing where we -

Vince: No. No, they can have it. But let's get 'Taker in to cut a promo.

...on Corpus Christi...?

Vince: Yeah. Let's bury 'em.

...you want The Undertaker? To cut a promo? BURYING Texas!? For no reason?...

Vince: It's good shit, pal. It's so 'him'.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 10th, '19, 17:14

Didn't they run the Garden earlier this year for part of the Raw Anniversary Show?
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Jul 10th, '19, 18:06

Big Red Machine wrote: Jul 10th, '19, 17:14 Didn't they run the Garden earlier this year for part of the Raw Anniversary Show?
I was wondering the same thing. Because I remember there being a big to-do about people being mad that they paid to see only part of the show.

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Jul 10th, '19, 23:50

Serujuunin wrote: Jul 10th, '19, 18:06
Big Red Machine wrote: Jul 10th, '19, 17:14 Didn't they run the Garden earlier this year for part of the Raw Anniversary Show?
I was wondering the same thing. Because I remember there being a big to-do about people being mad that they paid to see only part of the show.
Nope, they did that out of Barklay's.

IIRC, it was the Hammerstein crowd that was pissed... or at least the one's pissed enough to get the press.

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Jul 11th, '19, 08:49

Bob-O wrote: Jul 10th, '19, 23:50

IIRC, it was the Hammerstein crowd that was pissed... or at least the one's pissed enough to get the press.
YES you’re right, I remember now.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 11th, '19, 10:01

They definitely aired stuff from there, though. That's where Ross and Lawler were

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Jul 11th, '19, 22:49

Big Red Machine wrote: Jul 11th, '19, 10:01

They definitely aired stuff from there, though. That's where Ross and Lawler were
Right. From what I remember the tickets weren't cheap and the crowd got a(nother) DX Reunion, a pointless Undertaker promo, two matches, the privilege of watching the rest of the show on the big screen, and the invaluable opportunity to say they "where there".

The issue was people went in thinking the show was going to be split evenly between Hammerstein and Barklays, which it wasn't; that it'd be much more epic/nostalgic, which it wasn't; and for the ticket price get more than what they got. As you well know, downtime isn't a good idea with a Hammerstein crowd...

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 22nd, '19, 18:12

Whoops. My bad. That stuff was from the Manhattan Center, not MSG.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation