Eric Bischoff and Paul Heyman named executive directors of WWE TV

Everything that is happening in the wrestling world.
cero2k
Site Admin

Eric Bischoff and Paul Heyman named executive directors of WWE TV

Post by cero2k » Jun 27th, '19, 08:33

Source: f4wonline.com

During what's shaping up to be a transformative period for the professional wrestling industry, significant news about the future of WWE creative broke this morning.

Sports Illustrated first reported that Paul Heyman has been named the executive director of Raw, and Eric Bischoff has been named the executive director of SmackDown. It was noted that both will report directly to Vince McMahon.

WWE.com also posted a story confirming the news. WWE's article stated that Heyman and Bischoff "will oversee the creative development of WWE’s flagship programming and ensure integration across all platforms and lines of business. The creation of these roles further establishes WWE’s ability to continuously reinvent its global brand while providing two distinct creative processes for its flagship shows."

Sports Illustrated reported that the executive director positions are full-time executive roles, and WWE has "no plans at the current time for this to be introduced as part of a TV storyline."

Heyman has been with WWE as Brock Lesnar's advocate on TV and also contributing behind the scenes. This marks a full-time return to the company for Bischoff, who hosts the "83 Weeks" podcast with Conrad Thompson.

Bischoff being named the executive director of SmackDown comes in advance of the show moving to Fox this October. Sports Illustrated said Bischoff will also work directly with executives from Fox.

NWK2000

Re: Eric Bischoff and Paul Heyman named executive directors of WWE TV

Post by NWK2000 » Jun 27th, '19, 08:42

phpBB [video]
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jun 27th, '19, 12:56

18 years later, the Alliance finally won the war.

More importantly, this will allow Triple H to focus on nxt instead of taking over main roster like everyone had been hoping for

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 27th, '19, 18:08

cero2k wrote: Jun 27th, '19, 12:56

More importantly, this will allow Triple H to focus on nxt instead of taking over main roster like everyone had been hoping for
Vince (w/Heyman) vs. Hunter (w/Gabe) confirmed for WM.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Jun 28th, '19, 05:43

I want to be really excited about this, but that Rhonda heel turn stuff that Heyman was behind was a huge miss... and let's not forget the really awkward man-love interview thing when he broke up with Lesnar. Raw is going to get better for sure, but Heyman's name hasn't exactly been attached to good stuff lately...

I actually like the Bischoff deal. He's always done good work with Vince as a filter imo, and WWE hasn't had a giant faction in a while...

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jun 28th, '19, 15:07

Bob-O wrote: Jun 28th, '19, 05:43 I want to be really excited about this, but that Rhonda heel turn stuff that Heyman was behind was a huge miss... and let's not forget the really awkward man-love interview thing when he broke up with Lesnar. Raw is going to get better for sure, but Heyman's name hasn't exactly been attached to good stuff lately...

I actually like the Bischoff deal. He's always done good work with Vince as a filter imo, and WWE hasn't had a giant faction in a while...
Heyman is interesting because we may finally see all the 'Heyman guys' get a push, guys like Cesaro comes to mind. Problem with Heyman is that, as history shows, he doesn't last long when Vince starts braking his ideas, he's already quit twice before.

Bischoff, unlike Heyman, we don't even know if he's been following the product at all, how familiar he is with everyone, and such. Last time he worked with wrestling was TNA, so is he going to push Eric Young and Styles because he recognizes them? or is Vince still going to want Corbin pushed because Vince gotta Vince? You're not wrong, he may go straight for his 'Spin the Wheel Make a Deal' gimmick and stable reveals soon #August1stWarningV2.0. And yes, he's usually the guy that keeps bringing Hogan back.

It's gonna be interesting, but if anything else, it'll get them ratings at least for a couple of weeks until everyone realizes that it's still WWE and Vince at the end of the day anyway.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 28th, '19, 16:26

cero2k wrote: Jun 28th, '19, 15:07
Bob-O wrote: Jun 28th, '19, 05:43 I want to be really excited about this, but that Rhonda heel turn stuff that Heyman was behind was a huge miss... and let's not forget the really awkward man-love interview thing when he broke up with Lesnar. Raw is going to get better for sure, but Heyman's name hasn't exactly been attached to good stuff lately...

Bischoff, unlike Heyman, we don't even know if he's been following the product at all, how familiar he is with everyone, and such. Last time he worked with wrestling was TNA, so is he going to push Eric Young and Styles because he recognizes them? or is Vince still going to want Corbin pushed because Vince gotta Vince? You're not wrong, he may go straight for his 'Spin the Wheel Make a Deal' gimmick and stable reveals soon #August1stWarningV2.0. And yes, he's usually the guy that keeps bringing Hogan back.

In fairness to Bischoff, Spin the Wheel Make the Deal, Raw Roulette, the Wheel of Dixie, and August 1st Warning were all not his idea, nor things that happened when he had any sort of control.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jun 28th, '19, 18:20

Big Red Machine wrote: Jun 28th, '19, 16:26
In fairness to Bischoff, Spin the Wheel Make the Deal, Raw Roulette, the Wheel of Dixie, and August 1st Warning were all not his idea, nor things that happened when he had any sort of control.
he's always claimed that the Raw Roulette was his idea, don't know about the other

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Jun 29th, '19, 08:26

cero2k wrote: Jun 28th, '19, 15:07 Bischoff, unlike Heyman, we don't even know if he's been following the product at all, how familiar he is with everyone, and such. Last time he worked with wrestling was TNA, so is he going to push Eric Young and Styles because he recognizes them? or is Vince still going to want Corbin pushed because Vince gotta Vince?
To be fair, I don't think Vince is following the product either, so even in a worst case scenario, I don't think Eric could really mess things up if he tried. All the heels get matching tshirts and hug a lot! Orton reveals his shirt, wins world title. Boom. Smackdown is fixed.

Seriously though, doesn't he have a podcast? He should have at least an idea of what's up these days...

I'm actually very interested to see what Heyman does with guys like Corbin. Paul's greatest strength has always been character development and I think this is a huge win for especially guys like Baron and Seth... the whole roster really. Should be fun to watch.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 29th, '19, 19:44

cero2k wrote: Jun 28th, '19, 18:20
Big Red Machine wrote: Jun 28th, '19, 16:26
he's always claimed that the Raw Roulette was his idea, don't know about the other
I had never heard him take credit for Raw Roulette in anything other than a storyline context, but I will admit that it certainly sounds like something he would come up with.
The others were all done while he had no power. He doens't come to power in WCW until after Watts is fired in winter 1993 and Spin the Wheel, Make the Deal is 1992. August 1 Warning was started while Prichard was still in power, I think, as he leaves only two weeks before August 1st). I don't think we have a solid record of who was in power between then and Russo taking over in October. I suppose it's possible that it was Bischoff, but given the way Aces & Eights were totally dismantled during that time and they were originally Bischoff's big idea, my guess is that it wasn't him in power. Wheel of Dixie was definitely Russo.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation