The Funny Wrestling Topic

Tell it to the world!!
cero2k
Site Admin

Re: The Funny Wrestling Topic

Post by cero2k » May 14th, '19, 17:34

Big Red Machine wrote: May 14th, '19, 17:07
I don't think there are people out there who aren't trolls or the WWE version of TNA-Mecca who think WWE is "right" to humiliate people for spite. It's not that I found the comic version funnier (I did, although the joke in the comic is actually slightly different- that Vince is so obsessed with this humiliation, rather than just being a parody of what WWE does). The issue is that the joke was funny the first time I heard it. Very few thinks are just as funny the twentieth time

With Dave, though, there have been times when he talks about this cool spot he saw in PWG for the first time and look how innovative people are at PWG and I'm sitting there saying "DUDE... the Bucks have done that spot like five times in ROH this year." Stuff like that. Dave seems to talk to wrestlers, Bryan Alvarez, Garrett Gonzales, and that's about it. Keller and Johnson and people like that seem to encounter a much wider range of opinion than Dave does.
I personally hadn't seen jokes about Rhyno's situation, and surely not done like this. It's comedy, we all have our likes and dislikes.

if that was Dave's first time seeing the spot, then that's it. it's inhumanly impossible to follow everything and track spots all over the place. I'm not sure what other opinion he needs to hear, he already gets a ton of mail and tweets with trolls and recommendations. Every big show he gets those thumbs up and down emails.

Keller doesn't watch MMA, nor I think i've ever heard him talk about Puro or Lucha Libre, does that make him worse? no. He only talks to nerds on his show and not actual wrestlers, does that discredits him? no

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 14th, '19, 18:16

cero2k wrote: May 14th, '19, 17:34
Big Red Machine wrote: May 14th, '19, 17:07
I don't think there are people out there who aren't trolls or the WWE version of TNA-Mecca who think WWE is "right" to humiliate people for spite. It's not that I found the comic version funnier (I did, although the joke in the comic is actually slightly different- that Vince is so obsessed with this humiliation, rather than just being a parody of what WWE does). The issue is that the joke was funny the first time I heard it. Very few thinks are just as funny the twentieth time

With Dave, though, there have been times when he talks about this cool spot he saw in PWG for the first time and look how innovative people are at PWG and I'm sitting there saying "DUDE... the Bucks have done that spot like five times in ROH this year." Stuff like that. Dave seems to talk to wrestlers, Bryan Alvarez, Garrett Gonzales, and that's about it. Keller and Johnson and people like that seem to encounter a much wider range of opinion than Dave does.
I personally hadn't seen jokes about Rhyno's situation, and surely not done like this. It's comedy, we all have our likes and dislikes.
Rhyno, Revival, Harper... it's all variations on the same theme.
cero2k wrote: May 14th, '19, 17:34 if that was Dave's first time seeing the spot, then that's it. it's inhumanly impossible to follow everything and track spots all over the place. I'm not sure what other opinion he needs to hear, he already gets a ton of mail and tweets with trolls and recommendations. Every big show he gets those thumbs up and down emails.
Yes, but considering how much Dave jizzes over the Young Bucks and how big ROH is, he'd at least make an effort to watch their stuff.
Thumbs ups/thumbs down/thumbs in the middle and best/worst match has no depth to it. Bryan and Dave's analysis in his reviews feels completely superficial when compared to Keller and his people. Most of what Dave gets (at least that he reads on the air) is mailbag stuff rather than any sort of "what do you think of my take on this issue with the current product?" type of stuff.
cero2k wrote: May 14th, '19, 17:34 Keller doesn't watch MMA, nor I think i've ever heard him talk about Puro or Lucha Libre, does that make him worse? no. He only talks to nerds on his show and not actual wrestlers, does that discredits him? no
I do wholeheartedly think that not watching MMA (Wade has people to do that for him) makes Wade's pro wrestling coverage better, yes.
He's got Alan4L and Radican and Todd Martin and people like that to do puro for him when he doesn't want to watch it. If you want Lucha coverage you should absolutely go to Dave, although he doesn't talk much about it at all so what's the use.
Wade doesn't do too many on-air interviews with wrestlers, yes, but the drop in him doing that is pretty closely aligned with the wrestling podcast boom. By talking to ex-Creative people and his various other nerds (and also Johnny Fairplay), he is playing to his strengths. Dave rarely interviews wrestlers, either.
The point is that Dave is claiming to be the premier analysis site and isn't delivering. Wade has people covering everything who actually get their voices heard on his radio shows (no offense to you that Ethan guy and whoever else writes the written reports for shows) and with a much wider range of opinions. Dave being in his bubble means he doesn't get questions that make him think, and Bryan or Garrett never ask him to go into depth on something when Dave gives a superficial answer.

Dave's reasons for WWE ratings being down are the that booking is bad and the promos are bad and they don't let anyone be stars. Wade, to contrast, will point out examples of how they're sabotaging things and suggest what could be done different.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » May 14th, '19, 23:04

Big Red Machine wrote: May 14th, '19, 18:16
that's like saying that every "your mama" jokes are less funny because you've heard variations of it already, but the reality, they can all be funny and it depends on who delivers the jokes.

Big Red Machine wrote: May 14th, '19, 18:16 Yes, but considering how much Dave jizzes over the Young Bucks and how big ROH is, he'd at least make an effort to watch their stuff.
Thumbs ups/thumbs down/thumbs in the middle and best/worst match has no depth to it. Bryan and Dave's analysis in his reviews feels completely superficial when compared to Keller and his people. Most of what Dave gets (at least that he reads on the air) is mailbag stuff rather than any sort of "what do you think of my take on this issue with the current product?" type of stuff.
I think he watches a bunch still, especially bigger shows. I think you just expect too much out of Dave.
Dave and Bryan's coverage IS superficial, WOR isn't an analysis show, it's a news show and they cover everything happening in under 1:30 minutes. Wade does two hour plus shows just about RAW, just about Smackdown.
If that is what Dave gets on the mailbag, then it's hardly his fault, and while it bores me sometimes for old wrestling questions, I don't subscribe to WOR to listen to fan's 'takes', what's what WOL is for.
Big Red Machine wrote: May 14th, '19, 18:16 I do wholeheartedly think that not watching MMA (Wade has people to do that for him) makes Wade's pro wrestling coverage better, yes.
He's got Alan4L and Radican and Todd Martin and people like that to do puro for him when he doesn't want to watch it. If you want Lucha coverage you should absolutely go to Dave, although he doesn't talk much about it at all so what's the use.
Wade doesn't do too many on-air interviews with wrestlers, yes, but the drop in him doing that is pretty closely aligned with the wrestling podcast boom. By talking to ex-Creative people and his various other nerds (and also Johnny Fairplay), he is playing to his strengths. Dave rarely interviews wrestlers, either.
The point is that Dave is claiming to be the premier analysis site and isn't delivering. Wade has people covering everything who actually get their voices heard on his radio shows (no offense to you that Ethan guy and whoever else writes the written reports for shows) and with a much wider range of opinions. Dave being in his bubble means he doesn't get questions that make him think, and Bryan or Garrett never ask him to go into depth on something when Dave gives a superficial answer.

Dave's reasons for WWE ratings being down are the that booking is bad and the promos are bad and they don't let anyone be stars. Wade, to contrast, will point out examples of how they're sabotaging things and suggest what could be done different.
Where or when exactly has Dave ever claimed to be the 'premier analysis site' ? Nor i see why you're looking into Dave to be an in-depth analyst when he's a journalist, a reporter. I'm sure if you could get Dave on a 2 hr show that only focused on reviewing RAW, he'd give you waay more, but that is not the case. Way I see it, Wade is just a WWE analyst and he covers that necessity, but I don't watch WWE. Where is Wade's analysis on Wrestling Dontaku? or his match by match breakdown of Rebellion? Alan4L and Radican is like hearing to Big Audio Nightmare or Fumi Saito, it's good to cover some topics, but at the end, just like you want for Dave to cover more sutff, I wanna hear Wade cover NJPW and Impact, but if he did, i KNOW he wouldn't have time to do 3 hr RAW reviews, and Wade doesn't even write a newsletter.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 14th, '19, 23:55

cero2k wrote: May 14th, '19, 23:04
Big Red Machine wrote: May 14th, '19, 18:16
that's like saying that every "your mama" jokes are less funny because you've heard variations of it already, but the reality, they can all be funny and it depends on who delivers the jokes.
Not really. The comedy in the Yo Mama joke stems from the cleverness of the unique punchline, not from the "yo mama's so fat" set-up. In this case, the comedy stems from the general idea of parodying WWE's treatment of malcontents. There isn't enough varition between the treatment of Rhyno and the treatment of Harper for the jokes to be different enough to be funny at this point.

And yes, if you are going to make me laugh with a yo' mama joke at this point, it really does need to be a particularly clever turn of phrase.
Big Red Machine wrote: May 14th, '19, 18:16 Yes, but considering how much Dave jizzes over the Young Bucks and how big ROH is, he'd at least make an effort to watch their stuff.
I think he watches a bunch still, especially bigger shows. I think you just expect too much out of Dave.
Dave and Bryan's coverage IS superficial, WOR isn't an analysis show, it's a news show and they cover everything happening in under 1:30 minutes. Wade does two hour plus shows just about RAW, just about Smackdown.
If that is what Dave gets on the mailbag, then it's hardly his fault, and while it bores me sometimes for old wrestling questions, I don't subscribe to WOR to listen to fan's 'takes', what's what WOL is for.
But Bryan and Dave DO do analysis on WOR, at least for for Raw, SD, New Japan, TakeOver, ROH PPVs, TNA PPVs, and AEW stuff. Wade could easily cut his shows down by taking one or two fewer callers, or shortening the time they spend with each caller. His own "quick run-down with analysis" show is usually only 25-35.

WOL is full of loonies. Wade's shows are not.
Big Red Machine wrote: May 14th, '19, 18:16 I do wholeheartedly think that not watching MMA (Wade has people to do that for him) makes Wade's pro wrestling coverage better, yes.

Where or when exactly has Dave ever claimed to be the 'premier analysis site' ? Nor i see why you're looking into Dave to be an in-depth analyst when he's a journalist, a reporter. I'm sure if you could get Dave on a 2 hr show that only focused on reviewing RAW, he'd give you waay more, but that is not the case. Way I see it, Wade is just a WWE analyst and he covers that necessity, but I don't watch WWE. Where is Wade's analysis on Wrestling Dontaku? or his match by match breakdown of Rebellion? Alan4L and Radican is like hearing to Big Audio Nightmare or Fumi Saito, it's good to cover some topics, but at the end, just like you want for Dave to cover more sutff, I wanna hear Wade cover NJPW and Impact, but if he did, i KNOW he wouldn't have time to do 3 hr RAW reviews, and Wade doesn't even write a newsletter.
Wade is a journalist and he does write a newsletter. He's not Mike Johnson writing a news site and breaking stories. He has his own newsletter. He doesn't write ALL of it, but he's one of three people, and Bruce Mitchell's stuff is all editorial so you could take him out and it'd just be Wade and Greg Parks.
Perhaps you're right that Dave has never outright claimed to be the "premier analysis site," but he's never claimed to be the premier news site, either. The title is given to him by reputation and he lets the reputation market itself. And that's fair of him to do. But I think his reputation for analysis is held such high esteem by people when it doesn't deserve to be, and that creates problems when people first start reading newsletters and just assume that Dave is right about everything, because it leads to people adopting Dave's hypocrisies that we have debated several times in the past.

I think Radican's analysis is good, he's just boring as hell to listen to.
Alan4L is much better at providing actual analysis than Big Audio Nightmare (who are very Dave-like in their in ability to actually explain what they like or don't like about things, especially Adam), but you do have to take his opinions on at least wXw and OTT (and anyone else he might be working for) with a grain of salt.
Wade's non-WWE coverage is usually mixed in with his usual weeklies shows with Bruce Mitchell (TNA and ROH, when they do cover them) and Todd Martin (NJPW, also MMA, some other international promotions, indies, to an extent).
What Wade does that Dave doesn't is that Wade has hired people to pick up his own slack. Dave doens't. Wade handles all of the news, but he makes sure that if he can't provide you with an intelligent take on MLW or whoever, he hires someone who can.

And I very much disagree with the claim that if you gave Dave his own two-hour Raw-only show, he would be able to give analysis that is just as in-depth as Wade's, and there are two reasons for that:
1. There is a lot of stuff that immediately jumps out at me as a problem with the product that Wade brings up a lot that I rarely (if ever) hear Dave or Bryan even mention.
2. I've been listening to Dave several times a week for almost five years now. He's a smart dude, but I think he clearly has a problem putting his thoughts into words. In his newsletter this isn't a factor because he has as much time as he wants to think about how he wants to say something, but on an audio show I find that he consistently fails to explain to me what he liked and why, and instead just breaks down into generalities and saying things like "so great!"

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » May 15th, '19, 11:21

When they come, they'll come at what you love.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » May 15th, '19, 11:41

Becky Two Belts didn't make the cut

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » May 15th, '19, 11:43

cero2k wrote: May 15th, '19, 11:41
Becky Two Belts didn't make the cut
Alexa Bliss did...

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 15th, '19, 12:13

It's just some mark writer's attempt at a top ten list. The internet is littered with these.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » May 15th, '19, 12:41

Big Red Machine wrote: May 15th, '19, 12:13 It's just some mark writer's attempt at a top ten list. The internet is littered with these.
That's why it's funny. I WILL say to you though...Sasha before Alexa.

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » May 15th, '19, 16:45

Me on literally every current WWE review BRM has ever done.
https://ruinmyweek.com/entertainment/da ... -GAfDOUaQM
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » May 21st, '19, 18:55

Nick Gage trying to make sense of what Pokemon is

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 22nd, '19, 22:00

From the 5/22/2000 Raw (after a Godfather promo):
JR: Have you ever rolled a fattie, King?
Lawler: Remember that time I pushed you?

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » May 24th, '19, 09:10

The Phenomenal One at Starrcast II
Hidden text.

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » May 24th, '19, 17:59

cero2k wrote: May 24th, '19, 09:10 The Phenomenal One at Starrcast II
Hidden text.
Ok, ok... off the top of my head...
The Phenominimal One
The Phenomenal 0.5
The Tiny House That AJ Built

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » May 26th, '19, 08:16

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » May 29th, '19, 19:00

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » May 29th, '19, 23:04

Look at how uncomfortable the women on Dalton's arms are at the four second mark
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » May 30th, '19, 08:46

this is my new favorite entrance video

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Jun 1st, '19, 07:24

It blows my mind that WWE kept Jacobs and Archie locked in the writer's room...

I only just realized Steve Corino is hanging around backstage as well...

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 1st, '19, 23:10

Bob-O wrote: Jun 1st, '19, 07:24 It blows my mind that WWE kept Jacobs and Archie locked in the writer's room...

I only just realized Steve Corino is hanging around backstage as well...

The "doctors and lawyers who may be watching at home" line got me.

As far as keeping Jimmy locke din a writer's room... it's for the best. They would have had no idea hot to use him. Even NXT probably couldn't. Hell, it took GABE over two years to figure out how best to use Jimmy. Jimmy Jacobs is a good wrestler, but there are many better, even in WWE alone. The thing that makes him stand out are his promos, but in order to really make those an asset, he needs to be put in the right type of long-term story.

Archie defintiely would have been an in-ring assett to WWE in terms of comedy.

As for Corino... the little I've heard about his creative proclivites lead me to conlcude that the best place for him in the wrestkling industry is stuck in WWE Creative where Vince will keep his ideas far away from our TV screens.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation