NJPW, RevPro, CMLL, DDT, etc
cero2k
Site Admin

Cero Reviews NJPW Best of the Super Jr. 26, 5.13

Post by cero2k » May 13th, '19, 08:42

NJPW Best of the Super Juniors 26
May 13, 2019
Miyagi, Japan

Apparently, this tour will have shows without guardrails in order to protect the high flyers. Caprice Coleman is joining the English commentary table, so if he stays the rest of the tour, I may end up watching the tour in Japanese.

Ren Narita & Yota Tsuji vs Douki & Taichi - 5/10
Commentary explained that Douki and Taichi go a bit back when Milano Collection A.T. introduced them to each other. Douki is Desperado's replacement after suffering a broken jaw against Jun Kasai in TAKATaichiMania.

Match was boring until Narita came in. Douki and Taichi just worked over Tsuji, at one point the former used a chair on the outside. Narita vs Douki stuff was good, Narita was doing some nice submission transitions. Douki won with the Suplex de Luna on Tsuji.

Bullet Club (Robbie Eagles, El Phantasmo, & Jado) vs Rocky Romero, Bandido, & Yuya Uemura - 6.5/10
So are we calling Phantasmo, The Fake RockNRolla? Anyway, i stopped caring about that as soon as I heard Rocky Romero's new(?) theme.

Bandido and Phantasmo did the usual opening sequence of counters into a stalemate, with a good exchange later on. BC worked over Rocky Romero after he got hit by Jado's kendo stick, Phantasmo and Eagles getting some good heel. "Little Inoki" Uemura also had a great sequence with Robbie Eagles, who pinned him after a move that looked like a Backpack hold into an Iconoclasm. Fun match, got a lot of time.

YOH & Shota Umino vs Juice Robinson & Ryusuke Taguchi - 6.5/10
Chris Charlton talked about the different songs going on with Roppongi 3K, saying that YOH and Rocky put their efforts into making the team better, while SHO focuses on himself. Maybe some dissension being planted there.

We got a fair mix of serious and comedy Taguchi in this match, the perfect mix. The stuff between YOH and Taguchi was really good. Shota looked great against Robinson, he got some good offense in before tapping out to a Boston Crab. Good match, it was a good preview for tomorrow.

Post-match - We got another video of the incoming challenger for Juice's title. Rumor mill hints at a knife wielding Calamary Chris Brookes.

Will Ospreay & Toa Henare vs Los Ingobernables de Japon (Tetsuya Naito & BUSHI) - 6/10
I know this is to build Ospreay vs BUSHI, got god damn! Ospreay vs Naito! Having said that the stuff between Ospreay and BUSHI got me hyped for their rematch, I think BUSHI would have a good showing. Naito pinned Henare with Destino.

Best of the Super Jr 26 Block A
Tiger Mask (0) vs TAKA Michinoku (0) - 7.5/10
Tiger Mask injured his knee during the Dontaku shows and he brought it up during the Press Conference, and thus, it may become his thing all tournament as TAKA started working on it tonight. TAKA's work over Tiger's knee was actually pretty vicious and good, but as the match went on, he transitioned his submission work towards the shoulder too, just like Zack Sabre usually does. Tiger would make a short comeback and get some good near falls with his Tiger arsenal, ending the pin with the Tiger Suplex. Ok match, I thought that TAKA should had won this match just based on the offense, but it's the two old timers going against each other and they'll surely lose most of their matches anyway, so it's meaningless at this point.

Yoshinobu Kanemaru (0) vs Titan (0) - 6/10
Kanemaru jumped Titan during his entrance and immediately went for the mask. Later on, Kanemaru would drop Titan on his head and start working on it for the rest of the match, chasing Deep Impact. Titan had several comebacks throughout the match with high speed attacks and dives, but nothing particularly impressive. Kanemaru actually landed one Deep Impact that Titan kicked out of, but the whole set up make Titan look kinda stupid, he almost put himself out there for it. Titan dodged the Whisky Mist and locked in the Titanics for the win. Underwhelming match.

"The Villain" Marty Scurll w/Brody King (0) vs Jonathan Gresham (0) - 8/10
Great technically based match. The counters and reversals in this match are something to behold, a lot reminiscent to a Scurll vs Sabre match. Scurll went after the head, chasing the Black Plague, while Gresham's offense was more over the place, looking for either a submission or pin by countering everything Scurll tossed at him. Scurll won with the Black Plague clean in the middle of the ring.

All match Caprice Coleman made jokes about 'man-crushes' and then when it got turned around on him, he was all homophobe and defensive about having one with Gresham. Closer and closer to jumping to Japanese commentary.

SHO (0) vs 'The Dragon" Shingo Takagi (0) - 9.5/10
SHO debuted his new song, it's an 8-bit high tempo song, and he is also sporting black hair now. This was finally the much awaited, one-on-one match of the SHO vs Shingo rivalry we've been watching most of the year. This was as close as we'll get to a hoss fight in the tournament, with both their offense being really power heavy. A lot of lariats, a lot of chops.

SHO worked on Shingo's right Pumping Bomber arm, while Shingo just looked to cut off SHO's head with lariats. While i'd say the match was back and forward, the match was mostly dominated by Shingo, having SHOW bring out the fighting spirit. There were some GREAT sequences, especially one with SHO working and transitioning submissions on Shingo's arm. The finish was intense with Shingo hitting the Pumping Bomber and the Last Dragon for the pin victory. AWESOME match.

Dragon Lee (0) vs "Bone Soldier" Taiji Ishimori (0) - 8/10
This match had a weird start with them trading forearms and challenging each other to see who had the strongest strike. It's stuff that is usually reserved for later on, but given the previous match and that these guys fought a few days ago, they went for a different plan.

The match was surprisingly slower than the previous match, both men worked on each other's heads and necks, but it had some interesting spots based on their previous matches. The pace went up and down as the match went on, but the finish was a bit underwhelming in my opinion with Taiji hitting Bloody Cross for the win with barely any momentum into it.

Dragon Lee and Ishimori seem to be stating a strong rivalry.

Post-match - Ishimori cut a closing promo saying that he will be the one to take down Shingo and that he'll win the BOSJ. This is his hometown, so he was pretty over. In his backstage promo, Ishimori said that finally Dragon Lee will stop focusing on Hiromu and pay attention to him.

OVERALL THOUGHTS
Great opener show for this year's BOSJs. Everyone, be it tag or singles, looked really good. This show was the one that really made me get excited for some match ups like the inevitable Shingo vs Ishimori.

POINT CARDS
Block A
Block B
Marty Scurll [2]
Bandido [0]
Shingo Takagi [2]
Bushi [0]
Taiji Ishimori [2]
Douki [0]
Tiger Mask [2]
El Phantasmo [0]
Titán [2]
Ren Narita [0]
Dragon Lee [0]
Robbie Eagles [0]
Jonathan Gresham [0]
Rocky Romero [0]
Sho [0]
Ryusuke Taguchi [0]
Taka Michinoku [0]
Will Ospreay [0]
Yoshinobu Kanemaru [0]
Yoh [0]

Big Red Machine

Re: Cero Reviews NJPW Best of the Super Jr. 2019, 5.1

Post by Big Red Machine » May 13th, '19, 09:42

Um... boss? You seem to have misplaced 90% of your review.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Re: Cero Reviews NJPW Best of the Super Jr. 2019, 5.1

Post by cero2k » May 13th, '19, 10:09

Big Red Machine wrote: May 13th, '19, 09:42 Um... boss? You seem to have misplaced 90% of your review.
yeah, accidentally clicked submit while i was barely starting. editing right now

cero2k
Site Admin

Re: Cero Reviews NJPW Best of the Super Jr. 26, 5.13

Post by cero2k » May 13th, '19, 15:45

all done now