The Funny Wrestling Topic

Tell it to the world!!
Bob-O

Re: The Funny Wrestling Topic

Post by Bob-O » May 7th, '19, 09:07

Somebody posted a bunch of crazy Vince McMahon stories, a lot of which I hadn't heard. The man's legend is second only to Andre...

There's a ton more of these here...

The "Vince Shit His Pants" one I'd heard before, and they left out the part where Vince chased Briscoe around with his soiled britches on a boom mic stand after the promo. Apparently Triple H tried to hold Briscoe down and Briscoe shot on him!

They're probably not as funny as I think they are, but I lost my shit at having Coachman fake arrested by real cops and never really found it. It set the tone for this ride. Fuck Coachman.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 7th, '19, 09:48

The only one of these I had heard before was the Coach one. Pritchard mentions it in his RF shoot. Apparently it was just a new spin on an old territorial rib. The whole reason they were able to do it was because the show was somewhere in the Carolinas so you had a bunch of people like Flair and Arn around who had known the police chief there for years. If I remember right, they got Coach into the cop car and then handed him the paper with the "warrant," with Vince or Pat or JR or someone like that being listed as the issuing judge.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » May 7th, '19, 12:03

I can imagine Vince McMahon shaving methodically and laughing and throwing insults the whole time...
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » May 7th, '19, 12:12

Are we going to talk about how Jericho's new gimmick is basically Wario?
phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » May 7th, '19, 12:43

NWK2000 wrote: May 7th, '19, 12:12 Are we going to talk about how Jericho's new gimmick is basically Wario?
you mean because he claims he is going to win? isn't that like all of wrestling?

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » May 7th, '19, 14:36

cero2k wrote: May 7th, '19, 12:43
NWK2000 wrote: May 7th, '19, 12:12 Are we going to talk about how Jericho's new gimmick is basically Wario?
you mean because he claims he is going to win? isn't that like all of wrestling?
I don't remember it being a catchphrase.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » May 7th, '19, 15:34

NWK2000 wrote: May 7th, '19, 14:36
not a catchphrase, more like the underlying point of every single promo in history

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » May 7th, '19, 15:47

cero2k wrote: May 7th, '19, 15:34
NWK2000 wrote: May 7th, '19, 14:36

not a catchphrase, more like the underlying point of every single promo in history
But....Jericho clearly is making it one. He wouldn't have screamed it if that's not what he wanted to people to remember to it.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » May 8th, '19, 07:49

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » May 9th, '19, 10:00

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » May 10th, '19, 08:55

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » May 14th, '19, 11:56

that opening skit

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 14th, '19, 14:02

cero2k wrote: May 14th, '19, 11:56 that opening skit

Meh. The joke was obvious, has been made a bunch of times before, and does those wrestlers the disservice of treating them like Hogan-esque "in it to make money" wrestlers rather than artists who want to perform their art.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » May 14th, '19, 15:19

Big Red Machine wrote: May 14th, '19, 14:02

Meh. The joke was obvious, has been made a bunch of times before, and does those wrestlers the disservice of treating them like Hogan-esque "in it to make money" wrestlers rather than artists who want to perform their art.
if only Gabe had booked it, i'd get a laugh out of you

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 14th, '19, 15:32

cero2k wrote: May 14th, '19, 15:19
Big Red Machine wrote: May 14th, '19, 14:02

if only Gabe had booked it, i'd get a laugh out of you
Gabe would have been smart enough to not book it.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » May 14th, '19, 15:47

Big Red Machine wrote: May 14th, '19, 15:32
true, he's smart enough to not infuriate his overlord

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 14th, '19, 16:43

cero2k wrote: May 14th, '19, 15:47
Even when he didn't have an overlord, he got the need for cheap-shots out of his system rather quickly. He learned it doesn't actually help you.

The point is that they are making a joke that everyone has been making for at least a week now (just look at the preceding post). But people are laughing like it's still funny because they're marks for the source. Meltzer putting it over the way he did feels like proof to me that he lives in his own version of the wrestling bubble.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » May 14th, '19, 16:49

Big Red Machine wrote: May 14th, '19, 16:43
Even when he didn't have an overlord, he got the need for cheap-shots out of his system rather quickly. He learned it doesn't actually help you.

The point is that they are making a joke that everyone has been making for at least a week now (just look at the preceding post). But people are laughing like it's still funny because they're marks for the source. Meltzer putting it over the way he did feels like proof to me that he lives in his own version of the wrestling bubble.
everyone lives in their own version of the wrestling bubble. People laugh at it because they found it funny, just like you found the comic version funnier, and like some people don't find any of it funny because WWE is in the right.

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » May 14th, '19, 16:53

cero2k wrote: May 14th, '19, 15:47

I feel like there are people in this world who enjoy being mad about the backstage drama more than they enjoy inside the ring content, and Meltzer marks fall into that category.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 14th, '19, 17:07

cero2k wrote: May 14th, '19, 16:49

everyone lives in their own version of the wrestling bubble. People laugh at it because they found it funny, just like you found the comic version funnier, and like some people don't find any of it funny because WWE is in the right.
I don't think there are people out there who aren't trolls or the WWE version of TNA-Mecca who think WWE is "right" to humiliate people for spite. It's not that I found the comic version funnier (I did, although the joke in the comic is actually slightly different- that Vince is so obsessed with this humiliation, rather than just being a parody of what WWE does). The issue is that the joke was funny the first time I heard it. Very few thinks are just as funny the twentieth time

For an example of something that is:

(Yeah, I just wanted to re-post that).

With Dave, though, there have been times when he talks about this cool spot he saw in PWG for the first time and look how innovative people are at PWG and I'm sitting there saying "DUDE... the Bucks have done that spot like five times in ROH this year." Stuff like that. Dave seems to talk to wrestlers, Bryan Alvarez, Garrett Gonzales, and that's about it. Keller and Johnson and people like that seem to encounter a much wider range of opinion than Dave does.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation