NWK Gives up on ROH Unscripted

All ROH Related Reviews and Discussions
NWK2000

NWK Gives up on ROH Unscripted

Post by NWK2000 » May 6th, '19, 11:41

September 21, 2002, Philadelphia PA,

Paul London, Michael Shane, and American Dragon segment: bad. The audio quality on this show is fucking piss, so if I breeze over promos I'm sorry.
Paul is being interviewed by a nerdlinger. Paul calls out American Dragon for a match, but then Michael Shane shows up and talks trash to London. This prompts London to throw punches in a manner that makes me think at this point in his life he hasn't thrown a punch in a work or shoot sense before. He hits a shooting star press on Shane on the outside when he bails. Paul apologizes for ignoring Dragon (who's basically just window dressing at this point) and challenges Shane to a street fight before climbing a ladder . The TV show had likely star
ted by now, which is why this felt like a bad Raw show-open, which is something ROH does not need to be doing. Paul eventually hugs Dragon and leaves. The nerdlinger asks Dragon a question, who doesn't know and just ambles off.

Show open: Contemporary metal plays us in while we get show highlights. The first 30 seconds feel like a PPV quality opening package, but then it just goes back to the Ring of Honor trope of seeing guys come out for their entrances.

ROH Tag Team Championship Quarter Finals
The Prophecy (Christopher Daniels & Donovan Morgan) (w/Simply Luscious) vs The SAT (Jose & Joel Maximo)

The SAT get their own tag team name key but the Prophecy don't. I wonder if this was an intentional production choice, to give Daniels more to bitch about? Daniels is full evil cult leader, blessing Luscious in the ring.

Gabe is on commentary for this match and if the whole booking wrestling hadn't worked, he could've worked as an auctioneer. He also says The Prophecy are favorites, despite the fact they haven't teamed in ROH. Gabe also starts talking about "The format being thrown out" and "The power of the belts". What is this? TNA? Also, if everything tonight is "Unscripted", has everything that I've loved so far, been FAKE??? Fuck it, I'm done. Plus, it'll free me up to do some random ROH shows (Joe vs Kobashi, Field of Honor 2016, Cage of Death '06.
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

Big Red Machine

Re: NWK Gives up on ROH Unscripted

Post by Big Red Machine » May 6th, '19, 12:17

Not sure how much you know about the results of this show, so all I'll say for now is that the "power of the belts" thing is actually used in a logical way in ROH.

I agree that the "Unscripted" name and stuff was not good. My guess is that my feelings on the opening segment may have changed since my initial review of this show. You're not wrong about the worked-shootiness being bad, but if you don't know what's coming on this show I'd at least urge you to watch the tournament matches and the title match (and also Maritato vs. Mamaluke), and to not give up on early ROH just yet. The worked-shootiness is toned down a lot once the year ends (this show and whatever the show with the C.W. Anderson thing are the ones when it feels most prevalent {I'm not counting the thing at the One Year Anniversary Show because that was an angle that turned into a shoot because some fans didn't realize it was a work}, but there is a lot of important stuff coming up on the next few shows, and I think this period is critical to understanding the ways ROH changed as 2003 went on so that the promotion we see at the end of the year feels very much like the prototype for a "modern" indy (or at least a pre-Bullet Club breaking out in the US indy) as compared to the promotion that started it, which feels a lot more like this sort of 1999-2002 indy that is trying to be both a combination of a workrate indy, an ECW knockoff, and the place you go to see Special K-types do spots all at the same time. I believe that change and transition are essential to understanding why ROH breaks out with the newsletter-reading community while the likes of CZW, IWA-MS, JAPW, PCW, MLW, MCW (Maryland, not Memphis) (and, to an extent, ECWA and some of the bigger NorCal indies) never do. By the time late 2002/early 2003 came around, indy wrestling was stuck in the past, but Gabe was the only one who realized it.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » May 6th, '19, 13:20

Big Red Machine wrote: May 6th, '19, 12:17 Not sure how much you know about the results of this show, so all I'll say for now is that the "power of the belts" thing is actually used in a logical way in ROH.

I agree that the "Unscripted" name and stuff was not good. My guess is that my feelings on the opening segment may have changed since my initial review of this show. You're not wrong about the worked-shootiness being bad, but if you don't know what's coming on this show I'd at least urge you to watch the tournament matches and the title match (and also Maritato vs. Mamaluke), and to not give up on early ROH just yet. The worked-shootiness is toned down a lot once the year ends (this show and whatever the show with the C.W. Anderson thing are the ones when it feels most prevalent {I'm not counting the thing at the One Year Anniversary Show because that was an angle that turned into a shoot because some fans didn't realize it was a work}, but there is a lot of important stuff coming up on the next few shows, and I think this period is critical to understanding the ways ROH changed as 2003 went on so that the promotion we see at the end of the year feels very much like the prototype for a "modern" indy (or at least a pre-Bullet Club breaking out in the US indy) as compared to the promotion that started it, which feels a lot more like this sort of 1999-2002 indy that is trying to be both a combination of a workrate indy, an ECW knockoff, and the place you go to see Special K-types do spots all at the same time. I believe that change and transition are essential to understanding why ROH breaks out with the newsletter-reading community while the likes of CZW, IWA-MS, JAPW, PCW, MLW, MCW (Maryland, not Memphis) (and, to an extent, ECWA and some of the bigger NorCal indies) never do. By the time late 2002/early 2003 came around, indy wrestling was stuck in the past, but Gabe was the only one who realized it.
I'll skip Unscripted, and just continue on with ROH. Even if I did enjoy the show, the quality of the rip I got is at least a second or third generation copy, so the audio is piss. so the show is a pass based on that alone

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 6th, '19, 13:30

NWK2000 wrote: May 6th, '19, 13:20
Big Red Machine wrote: May 6th, '19, 12:17 Not sure how much you know about the results of this show, so all I'll say for now is that the "power of the belts" thing is actually used in a logical way in ROH.

I'll skip Unscripted, and just continue on with ROH. Even if I did enjoy the show, the quality of the rip I got is at least a second or third generation copy, so the audio is piss. so the show is a pass based on that alone
If you're looking for stuff, I've got doubles of some pretty major and/or hard to find shows with (to the best of my knowledge) no scratches or defects, including a copy of DBD XIII still in the shrink wrap.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » May 6th, '19, 13:54

Big Red Machine wrote: May 6th, '19, 13:30
NWK2000 wrote: May 6th, '19, 13:20

If you're looking for stuff, I've got doubles of some pretty major and/or hard to find shows with (to the best of my knowledge) no scratches or defects, including a copy of DBD XIII still in the shrink wrap.
I really appreciate it, but I'm pretty sure that was an isolated incident, and it's not like I need to double up on your already pretty-thorough jaunt through Ring of Honor, so I have no problem skipping shows.